BlackSix

BoBP: US 9th Air Force, Dates and Plane Types, Sep 1944 - Mar 1945

OK - I'm borrowing a hand-held scanner from someone for this.

When I have it in-hand I'll get started and keep you posted.

Check out the Genius Scan app for your phone. It scans and creates PDFs with multiple pages for free.

• Upvote 1

BlackSix

Here is the link to the A-84 Chievres photos.

Again thanks goes to Sam Sox of the 352nd Association.

He put a lot of hours into this for us.

https://www.dropbox....Gambit.zip?dl=0

Also, here is a PDF of the 404th history. Long out of print.

No aircraft serial number data etc, but lots of good info for the career and some airfield maps.

https://www.dropbox....istory.zip?dl=0

I'll get the 352nd book to you as soon as I can.

Thank you very much Gambit, I've sent your A-84 Chievres photos to our map developers, also thanks for the 404 FG history

from text in that first link its march 11:

"As the Allied tide of victory moved East the group transferred to Y-10 air strip at Beauvechaine, Belgium on the 1st November 1944 to keep near the battle front. Before leaving Luxembourg, the Group was joined by the 33d Photo Reconnaissance Squadron which replaced the 162d Squadron (transferred to the 7th Army Front in Southern France). While at Beauvechaine, the 363d Group participated in the Bulge Engagement, when the 160th and 161st Flight echelons went to Jarney, France and spenf three weeks (22 Dec. 44 to 10 Jan. 45) attached to the 10th Reconnaissance Group covering General Patton's units. March 11, 1945 found the 363d moving again, this time to the German airfield adjacent to Venlo, Holland. There, the Group had the rather unique distinction of "Being the first AAF unit to be stationed on German soil", with the 161st Squadron flying the first mission. The pace increased and the 363d Reconnaissance Group, under the new commander, Lt. Colonel James B. Tipton, took over a German strip and barracks at Gutersloh, Germany, after passing through the defeated Ruhr basin. From this field, they helped the ground troops moving into Hanover, the last large town on the way to Berlin. The latter part of April, the unit moved to the former German barracks area at Braunschweig, airfield, and flew their first missions to the falling "Unter den Linden City—Berlin", continuing until V-E day. May 8, 1945."

From Wikipedia also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/363d_Expeditionary_Operations_Group

On the continent, the 363d was reorganized into a reconnaissance group flying the F-5 photo-reconnaissance version of the P-38 Lightning and the F-6 photo-reconnaissance version of the P-51 Mustang at Le Mans airfield, France (A-35). The 380th, 381st and 382nd squadrons were redesignated as the 160th, 161st and 162nd Reconnaissance Squadrons respectively. The group flew photographic missions to support both air and ground operations; directed fighter-bombers to railway, highway, and waterway traffic, bridges, gun positions, troop concentrations, and other opportune targets; adjusted artillery fire; and took photographs to assess results of Allied bombardment operations.

It received two Belgian citations for reconnaissance activities, including the group's support of the assault on the Siegfried Line and its participation in the Battle of the Bulge (December 1944 – January 1945). The 363d assisted Ninth Army's drive across the Rhine and deep into Germany during the period from February 1945 to V-E Day, eventually being stationed at Wiesbaden, Germany (Y-80) at the end of hostilities in May

The 363d returned to the United States in December 1945 and was inactivated on 11 December 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.

And yes, I know that Wikipedia is only as reliable as what folks put into it.

I'm afraid I'll have to use the unit histories from Wiki for the some RAF wings. I'll create a topic about these problems a little later

BlackSix - I recently finished reading an excellent book - The Battle of the Airfields by Norman Franks. The edition that I read had a very good series of appendices at the end listing RAF and German units along with which variant aircraft they flew, where they were based on January 1st 1945 and what their losses were recorded as. The author concedes that exact records of the day itself are difficult to pin down as so much was affected by memory, propoganda, etc, but he has tried to separate fact from supposition.

I am just about to read a book named Bodenplatte - The Luftwaffe's Last Hope by John Manrho and Ron Pütz - I'll let you know if it seems any good.

Bodenplatte - The Luftwaffe's Last Hope by John Manrho and Ron Pütz - I have this book, it's an exellent source.

Also I'll try to find The Battle of the Airfields, thanks.

You'll see that it has many extracts of individual pilots' war diaries (both Allied and German) in it as well and this may well help with adding flavour. Not sure what the copyright implications are though.

It will be the 1994 edition you want for the corrected figures - 50th Anniversary, not the original 1982 version. I will include the ISBN when I get home later on.

ISBN is 1-898697-15-9 published by Grub Street Aviation Classics.

Edited by TP_Silk

I'm afraid I'll have to use the unit histories from Wiki for the some RAF wings. I'll create a topic about these problems a little later

I have a number of very detailed books on RAF squadrons, so if you have any questions about a particular unit, just let me know. :)

I have a number of very detailed books on RAF squadrons, so if you have any questions about a particular unit, just let me know. :)

Thanks, I was hoping for it)

It will be the 1994 edition you want for the corrected figures - 50th Anniversary, not the original 1982 version. I will include the ISBN when I get home later on.

Ok, thanks

First 352nd history scans coming later today via PM.

You're quite welcome :)

You have PM - accidentally sent it twice so ignore the second one.

Will Operation Market Garden be shown as well?

The first day September 17th 1944 was the Day that Market Garden commenced. The day the career begins

8 hours ago, cripplehawk said:

Will Operation Market Garden be shown as well?

The first day September 17th 1944 was the Day that Market Garden commenced. The day the career begins

Devs have stated more then once that you wont be involved in Market Garden directly..