CVGridley

Just got a Rift, I love dogfighting in this game in VR!

I know this is probably tongue in cheek but I don't quite understand how some people are so vehemently against something that people are enjoying so much. VR to most people is a mind blowing experience and IMO is helping expand the BoX community. Be happy for that, even if it's not for you.

And remember: Real men fly VR!

Its called the Fun police, they just cant take it when someone else is having too much fun.

Real question: How do you deal with engine management or any of the other hotkeys required for playing on hard mode? Do you just have to have it all memorized or are the little hand-controllers programmable enough to compensate for not being able to see your setup?

Having them memorized is the best option. 

I was doing this before I got VR, and it certainly has paid off for my flying in VR.

I have all these essential controls assigned to buttons/axis on my HOTAS. 

I have a Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle, and CH Throttle Quadrant ( for the extra axis levers).

I have the oil and water rads on axis levers on the CH quadrant.

I also returned my rift.

I gave it a try for a week, never really got into it. The performance was too low for me and resolution too. Also I am kind of a competitive player and this is really hard in VR. So there were too many reasons to not got with VR.

I do want to get into VR though when I get a new PC in around 2020 (with intel 10nm CPU and DDR5 ram), hopefully the have FOVeated resultion headsets then.

Many people complain about the resolution and blame entirely the VR headset, part is the PC of the end user, and the hardware needed to be able to run VR at its best, if you have the power you can run smooth at 90 FPS use 4 x AA and higher SS ,  and then the resolution improves a lot, not HD but pretty good enough you will be amazed.

I am running at 90 FPS smoothly

Ultra settings

4 x AA

SS 2.2

Full Dynamic resolution and all setting the highest except mirrors.

Its a big difference how it looks now , and before I upgraded my PC

Main upgrade was from an i7 4770 to a i7 8700K

DDR3 to a DDR 4 16GB

Gigabyte Z370MBO

M.2 SSD

The video card is the same  GTX 1080.

If this is a hobby to you then spend the money guys , hobbies cost money.

My system is quite capable to run BoX in VR with the settings you give here. No amount of AA or SS can fix the basic flaws of the current VR headsets, the horrible resolution and narrow fov. I just found out that I can`t take it, especially low resolution just too disturbing. I tested many settings and games so I didn`t give up easily. I like clear image and my 3440x1440 flat monitor is just too much ahead in that respect atm. I realized that Oculus is gathering dust so I sold it. When things improve, I`ll be back in VR.

Its called the Fun police, they just cant take it when someone else is having too much fun.

For my part the reason for responding to these threads is just to show that current VR might not be good enough for everybody, as many of you seem to think. Just giving another perspective and maybe something to think for those who are considering to order VR headset. My advice is to try before you buy if it`s possible :)

For my part the reason for responding to these threads is just to show that current VR might not be good enough for everybody, as many of you seem to think. Just giving another perspective and maybe something to think for those who are considering to order VR headset. My advice is to try before you buy if it`s possible :)

I don't think anyone has any problem with posts such as yours that make a good case for why they don't care for current generation VR.

It is certainly not for everybody, but will be making steps going forward to capture more enthusiasts.

I think what motoadve and TP-Blackjack  was responding to was not quite the same...

But that is ok.

Edited by dburne

My system is quite capable to run BoX in VR with the settings you give here. No amount of AA or SS can fix the basic flaws of the current VR headsets, the horrible resolution and narrow fov. I just found out that I can`t take it, especially low resolution just too disturbing. I tested many settings and games so I didn`t give up easily. I like clear image and my 3440x1440 flat monitor is just too much ahead in that respect atm. I realized that Oculus is gathering dust so I sold it. When things improve, I`ll be back in VR.

Yup. Resolution and FOV are the reasons I'm holding back now. If I'll be putting 2000+ euros on VR (would need to get completely new rig), it better be for an implementation that I can use for the next 5+ years without feeling I threw the money away :)

I did test the Rift this summer, and I liked it a lot, but knowing there's better stuff coming...

Edited by LLv34_Temuri
  • Upvote 1

I spent the evening flying a Huey in VR via DCS and it was wonderful. You should try it.

Yours rabidly

Lensman (54 years old).

Can only agree ..fly the huey in vr .. you can only smile ...

I don't think anyone has any problem with posts such as yours that make a good case for why they don't care for current generation VR.

It is certainly not for everybody, but will be making steps going forward to capture more enthusiasts.

I think what motoadve and TP-Blackjack  was responding to was not quite the same...

But that is ok.

Yeah, just made sure that I`m not trying to ruin the fun part of the current VR, majority seems to be happy with it and I`m glad you guys enjoy it. No worries  :)  I`ll be joining you when next gen arrives

Yeah, just made sure that I`m not trying to ruin the fun part of the current VR, majority seems to be happy with it and I`m glad you guys enjoy it. No worries  :)  I`ll be joining you when next gen arrives

:good: 

I too really look forward to the next generation device.

How about these specs, could i run this game in VR and enjoy it at the same time?

i5 7500 processor

Geforce 1060 6 gb

8 gb RAM

i5 4690k, 8GB, gtx970 and i greatly enjoy it, although i have to screw the settings down a good bit (no SS, AA, SSAO), nevertheless after countless tries i found my sweetspot of performance (90fps) and looks

flying in 2D has no appeal anymore, its just another world.

Ill never ever go back if i ca help it.

However, it doesnt bother me that some dont like it.

Track ir, whilst good, never really immersed me.

Different strokes for different folks!

I can see myself and everyone in a few years, looking at the first Gen VRs thinking how did we played with those?

But at the present they are so immersive its worth it.

I was one of the ones saying too low resolution, I will wait ect, until I tried Il2 BOS and the house of a member of this forums.

Bought it as soon as I left his house , and from being bored with IL2 , to playing more than ever for the past couple of months, even upgraded my PC and joystick, has become another hobby.

You have access to full size 1/1 cockpits of this WWII planes which are super detailed in your home.

The resolution is a factor. I watch folks vidoes of BoS then when I play in VR im always dissatisfied with the resolution. Its not terrible, its just not 4k.Like all things we eventually want it better. I will buy the next gen VR and if I have to upgrade my PC.

VR is an immersive experience, one I just dont get with a monitor. Unfortunately its still early days and the tech still has a long way to go.

And to add 1c/777 have done an increadable job with the implementation of VR in this sim.

Edited by Rolling_Thunder

I can see myself and everyone in a few years, looking at the first Gen VRs thinking how did we played with those?

But at the present they are so immersive its worth it.

I was one of the ones saying too low resolution, I will wait ect, until I tried Il2 BOS and the house of a member of this forums.

Bought it as soon as I left his house , and from being bored with IL2 , to playing more than ever for the past couple of months, even upgraded my PC and joystick, has become another hobby.

You have access to full size 1/1 cockpits of this WWII planes which are super detailed in your home.

Exactly as it happened to me, VR in the back of my head was just to expensive, and i havent flown in over a year.

As soon as my brother went for a Oculus Rift (on sale) and also purchased BOS, i had to try.

I expected it to be different and good, but it even exceeded these expectations. Flying around, following the enemy aircrafts just feels natural and instinctive, looking around in the cockpit, using and checking the instruments, all in all you are flying in the aircraft, nothing comes close to it. Hell, the first seconds i even experienced a little vertigo when looking "down" from height.

needless to say, a few days later i got my OR-set, upgraded my pc (slightly).Too bad HW prices are just nuts at the moment.

Real question: How do you deal with engine management or any of the other hotkeys required for playing on hard mode? Do you just have to have it all memorized or are the little hand-controllers programmable enough to compensate for not being able to see your setup?

Like it was mentioned earlier, memorization helps. I have an x52, so I've got pretty much everything important bound to the stick and throttle within easy reach. A few less important functions are still on the keyboard, but I can hit those from memory by placing the keyboard between the throttle and stick on my desk. Be sure to bundle up trim controls and stabilizer axis, and consider doubling up on radiator bindings as well if you're short on buttons.

I've had myopia (short sightedness) since I was in 2nd grade. I got lasik 5 years ago. It's been great. Then I tried VR .. and it's like my myopia days are back. I miss them very much. The world is so soft with myopia. So that's why I enjoy my VR setup.

Does anyone recommend using one of the newer ones like the Samsung kit? There is also a Dell one that's quite inexpensive.

I dont see many comments of other headsets. Im curious on that too. I have the rift but im looking to buy Pimax 4k. Not expensive and has 2k resolution on each lense. They are developing the 8k 220 field of view monster headset, but that one probably needs a 1080ti card. Even the low res of the rift makes il2 vr great. The pimax 4k should improve it a lot.

Thanks to you and the others who answered; this forum is very helpful. I just got a trackIR5 and once I got the hang of it I've really been blown away. VR suddenly seems like something I might want to save up for, rather than something I just see in the news once in awhile.

I use a logitech 3D Extreme (because it's cheap and quite nice) but it is quite limited on the buttons and I rely heavily on my keyboard. Knowing that I'd need to invest in a more expensive control setup in addition to the price of VR to get the most out of it is good information to have. Thanks.

*edited for grammar

I use a Microsoft FFB pro with 3 Axis and 9 button + hat, in VR. I don't use the keyboard at all. I play in expert mode.

The key is to use a joystick button management software and to use buttons as "shift" keys to switch modes. I use UCR, but I have some issues and others have argued Joystickgremlin is better.

So out of my 9+4(hat) = 13 button, I use 3 as shift keys that switch mode and switch all remaining buttons to a command specific to this mode. So with 3 shift keys I have 4 modes and 10 commands per mode. 

That also helps in terms of memorization. There is an "engine management" shift button. Once pressed, all other buttons and hat axis are grouped by two and each group is used to control one device: oil radiator, water radiator, mixture, and so on... Pretty easy to remember everything. I also have a "navigation mode" shift button and a "system moed" shift button. 

• Upvote 1

A little off topic but.. you've got nostalgia for when you're vision was worse? That's actually really fascinating.

:D I guess my joke didn't work.. I did equate it to VR.. lol

• Upvote 1

I operate everything no problem with my rift headset on. I look down through the nose gap and I can see any key binding I need, can grab my coffee and drink it, can eat my lunch... etc. And having that gap in the nose doesn’t allow me to lose any immersion.

Perhaps it’s the shape of my head or face or something that allows me to look through the gap easily, but I really don’t lose any functionality with the headset on.

I operate everything no problem with my rift headset on. I look down through the nose gap and I can see any key binding I need, can grab my coffee and drink it, can eat my lunch... etc. And having that gap in the nose doesn’t allow me to lose any immersion.

Perhaps it’s the shape of my head or face or something that allows me to look through the gap easily, but I really don’t lose any functionality with the headset on.

It works for me as well, I use it for hitting my G keys on my Logitech Keyboard. No problem seeing or using them through that nose gap.

I have assigned wingmen commands to those.

I prefer using Voice Attack for those commands, but during week my wife shares same office area as I have in my home, so can only use VA on weekends or evenings.

Have a Warthog throttle on the left side along with

CH Throttle (used for buttons mostly)

Cessna trim wheel

On the right a Saitek TPM (operates all the lights)

Center VKB jostick

Crosswinds pedals.

Memorized every switch

Never have to lift the headset

very immersive to have the throttle /Rpms/mixture on the left side kind of same distance as the VR shows

Also the Cessna trim wheel

And radiator axes.

It works for me as well, I use it for hitting my G keys on my Logitech Keyboard. No problem seeing or using them through that nose gap.

I have assigned wingmen commands to those.

I prefer using Voice Attack for those commands, but during week my wife shares same office area as I have in my home, so can only use VA on weekends or evenings.

I need to try the VA, I hear good things.

Have a Warthog throttle on the left side along with

CH Throttle (used for buttons mostly)

Cessna trim wheel

On the right a Saitek TPM (operates all the lights)

Center VKB jostick

Crosswinds pedals.

Memorized every switch

Never have to lift the headset

very immersive to have the throttle /Rpms/mixture on the left side kind of same distance as the VR shows

Also the Cessna trim wheel

And radiator axes.

Great setup.

I need to try the VA, I hear good things.

It is an awesome program, well worth the cost of entry.

Main thing is, to spend some time with Windows Speech Recognition/Training with the Rift mic. I went through the speech learning part about 3 times, and it is working very well for me. I then assigned a button on my throttle as push to talk, if it is always listening it can get confused.

TM HOTAS setup is key.  I don't use the touch controllers at all.  For the few keyboard commands I use (none in the heat of combat and I don't think any off the ground actually) you can peek around your nose in the oculus rift just enough to press keys.