CVGridley

Just got a Rift, I love dogfighting in this game in VR!

Title says it all.  I've got access to an Oculus Rift for the next few weeks. This game is by far my favorite VR sim.  I just love dogfighting in VR.  I suck, I'm having to re-learn a lot of stuff I thought I knew, but LOVING every second.  "Thanks" is what I'm trying to say.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

Title says it all.  I've got access to an Oculus Rift for the next few weeks. This game is by far my favorite VR sim.  I just love dogfighting in VR.  I suck, I'm having to re-learn a lot of stuff I thought I knew, but LOVING every second.  "Thanks" is what I'm trying to say.  :biggrin:

:good: 

It is grand isn't it!

I have no telling how many hours flying this sim in VR since the day VR support was implemented, and still can't get enough. Oftentimes 2-3 hours a day.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, I doubt you'll find anyone who would be happy to return to a flat monitor once they've experienced VR.   

@CVGridley,

Would you mind if you stop saying nice things about VR stuff. :angry: 

Because  now you remind me how eager I am to try one out and I don't know anyone who owns a Rift or Vive.

From what I've heard a VR device adds an extra dimension to the game. :cool:

I even don't know one single person who is familiar with IL2.  :unsure:

Cheers and happy flying. ;)

Im terribad at il2.

But in VR i simply dont care.

It's the most immersive game ive played.

• Upvote 2

I understand the exitement, I probably go VR when HTC Vive pro is launched or similar device in OR . Getting OR pretty cheap used now so it is tempting to buy. 

My cramped space and panels Pit situation make me hesitate thoug

Real men fly in VR! It is a game changing experience, It's great hearing how excited people are when they discover it. I've had OR since day one, the best gaming money I've ever spent.

• Upvote 1

Real men fly in VR! It is a game changing experience, It's great hearing how excited people are when they discover it. I've had OR since day one, the best gaming money I've ever spent.

Yeah, demoing VR to someone that has never tried it is pretty rewarding. There aren't many people that aren't completely blown away by the experience.

22 Months in VR, and its been fantastic value for money. If I could guess I would have around 800 hours time in IL2 GB in VR now.

I don't run the steam client so I can't be sure.

I wonder if the dev's could provide information about time spent in game for those with the standalone client.

“In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.”
  • Upvote 1

I find the aerial and ground targets easy to see/find in all of the IL2 Box VR sims as opposed to DCS where they are almost impossible to see/find in VR.

I fly with full maxed out settings in both sims.

Yeah, demoing VR to someone that has never tried it is pretty rewarding. There aren't many people that aren't completely blown away by the experience.

22 Months in VR, and its been fantastic value for money. If I could guess I would have around 800 hours time in IL2 GB in VR now.

I don't run the steam client so I can't be sure.

I wonder if the dev's could provide information about time spent in game for those with the standalone client.

It would certainly be nice if the game tracked the total time spent.

Its hard to describe if one hasnt expierienced it. The feeling of height, your position in space, just amazing.

Just a few months ago i was thinking to go for a track IR + large monitor setup, but hesitated considering the price.

4 weeks ago i had the chance to try IL2 + VR at my brothers home, i was blown away. A few days later i stumbled over a very good deal and pulled the trigger on a Oculus Rift set with m otion controllers, all in all probably cheaper than the Track IR+Monitor setup would have been.

It is the biggest evolutionary step in gaming / sims for decades.

I fly with full maxed out settings in both sims.

You have Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer at home? No chance you can get stable 90fps with all settings maxed. 

Does anyone recommend using one of the newer ones like the Samsung kit? There is also a Dell one that's quite inexpensive.

Absolutely not. I'm not sure it'll run on anything except a Rift or Vive (?) but the lower end headsets just don't offer enough power to do it justice regardless.

Absolutely not. I'm not sure it'll run on anything except a Rift or Vive (?) but the lower end headsets just don't offer enough power to do it justice regardless.

Thanks. What do you mean by power though? I don't have any experience in VR yet.

It is the biggest evolutionary step in gaming / sims for decades.

I’d even go as far as to say It’s the biggest step on gaming ever. At least as far as a flight gamer. I’ve had mine for a few months and I’m still nearly a few hours daily on BOx. And that’s with a wife, 3 kids, and a full time job :)

Thanks. What do you mean by power though? I don't have any experience in VR yet.

By power I mean image resolution, image clarity (dependant upon high quality lenses), the PC connection to a very powerful GPU to generate twin rendered offset images in real-time and a very high (ideally 90fps to avoid motion sickness) frame rate. IL-2 in VR requires Steam-VR to operate and I'm guessing the Samsung unit does not support that?

I've got access to an Oculus Rift for the next few weeks...

You should be concerned about,,, what happens after the next few weeks !

Pancake gaming seems so flat after Rifting, it's not even funny.

Took me about six months to slowly slip back into ArmA, TLD and a little bit of not much else I'm afraid.

:poster_offtopic:

The biggest revolution in gaming was the 3dfx and the following Voodoo series, without that we would not be here now.

HMD tech is the latest revolution !

Vive la revolution :umnik2:

• Upvote 1

I haven't played a 2D game in 14 years. I wouldn't be playing any of these sims if it wasn't for VR. It's not a novelty or fad, either. It's become more like an obsession!  :fly: Imagine the increased immersion with the Pimax 8K or even the Vive Pro. :crazy:

By power I mean image resolution, image clarity (dependant upon high quality lenses), the PC connection to a very powerful GPU to generate twin rendered offset images in real-time and a very high (ideally 90fps to avoid motion sickness) frame rate. IL-2 in VR requires Steam-VR to operate and I'm guessing the Samsung unit does not support that?

Many of the new sets like the Samsung have higher resolution than the rift or Vive. The GPU was doing the rendering I thought, so I was confused by your mention of "power". I have a 1070. In the YouTube vids I watched they were using Steam VR but not IL-2, so I was wondering if anyone here had experience with it.

Many of the new sets like the Samsung have higher resolution than the rift or Vive. The GPU was doing the rendering I thought, so I was confused by your mention of "power". I have a 1070. In the YouTube vids I watched they were using Steam VR but not IL-2, so I was wondering if anyone here had experience with it.

Exactly which Samsung headset are you referring to please?

In that case, apologies, ignorance on my part. That system will run SteamVR so presumably it can run IL-2 (anyone confirming that please?). Allegedly the tracking is superior with the Rift but field of view slightly better with the Samsung. I will defer to someone who has actually used the Odyssey because I only own the Vive and Rift.

In that case, apologies, ignorance on my part. That system will run SteamVR so presumably it can run IL-2 (anyone confirming that please?). Allegedly the tracking is superior with the Rift but field of view slightly better with the Samsung. I will defer to someone who has actually used the Odyssey because I only own the Vive and Rift.

People with the Samsung Odyssey have reported some problems with the way they work with BoX - check out some of the threads in the VR subforum for further details and discussions.

don't recommend it. Check the VR section (in hardware/controllers), you'll find a lengthy topic about this device. There's an Inter-Pupilar Distance (IDP) issue where the game renders the left/right eye pictures too far apart, which screws up the scale in-game. Someone reported this can be fixed with a 3dmigoto mod, however it doesn't work for everyone apparently. Also, the lenses in the Samsung headset are of a different focal profile so the picture albeit a little bit sharper in the center it is however more blurrier in the periphery compared to Oculus. Either stick with Rift/Vive or wait for Vive Pro...

You should be concerned about,,, what happens after the next few weeks !

I'm already planting some seeds to see if I can "acquire" this rift for the right price until nexgen comes out.

I also had to re-read your post a few times - I thought you meant you were playing ArmA in VR, which I've read doesn't work all that well...

Agreed, I doubt you'll find anyone who would be happy to return to a flat monitor once they've experienced VR.

Well, I just have to say this... After less than three months of using Oculus, I sold my unit and returned to the flat monitor ;)

Well, I just have to say this... After less than three months of using Oculus, I sold my unit and returned to the flat monitor ;)

Bravo Zami. You have dared to say and do the unthinkable to the rabid VR advocates.  :salute: 

Bravo Zami. You have dared to say and do the unthinkable to the rabid VR advocates.  :salute:

Even if I ever wanted to return to monitor (i do not, but just saying if), I don't see the reason to just not use both as I feel like it.

Only reason for return would be need for money to upgrade to even more expensive VR setup...but then again, i'd still gift my Rift to some family member and go from there :)

I spent the evening flying a Huey in VR via DCS and it was wonderful. You should try it.

Yours rabidly

Lensman (54 years old).

• Upvote 1

Would love to have VR but ive just forked out for a new thrustmaster throttle, Gladiator joystick and a new speaker system so the penny jar is a bit empty at the moment. I was thinking of getting a trackhat but i might save up for a while to get VR.

To really enjoy VR you need a powerful PC, processor , memory and video card, its worth the upgrade if you can afford it.

at highest settings and  with 4x AA and SS at 2.2 everything smooth and pretty, VR is amazing, then really you wont want to go back to a monitor.

To really enjoy VR you need a powerful PC, processor , memory and video card, its worth the upgrade if you can afford it.

at highest settings and  with 4x AA and SS at 2.2 everything smooth and pretty, VR is amazing, then really you wont want to go back to a monitor.

How about these specs, could i run this game in VR and enjoy it at the same time?

i5 7500 processor

Geforce 1060 6 gb

8 gb RAM

You could probably ran it at medium settings.

Overclocking the video card does help, get MSI Afterburner and do it, its easy and safe.

Many people complain about the resolution and blame entirely the VR headset, part is the PC of the end user, and the hardware needed to be able to run VR at its best, if you have the power you can run smooth at 90 FPS use 4 x AA and higher SS ,  and then the resolution improves a lot, not HD but pretty good enough you will be amazed.

I am running at 90 FPS smoothly

Ultra settings

4 x AA

SS 2.2

Full Dynamic resolution and all setting the highest except mirrors.

Its a big difference how it looks now , and before I upgraded my PC

Main upgrade was from an i7 4770 to a i7 8700K

DDR3 to a DDR 4 16GB

Gigabyte Z370MBO

M.2 SSD

The video card is the same  GTX 1080.

If this is a hobby to you then spend the money guys , hobbies cost money.

Bravo Zami. You have dared to say and do the unthinkable to the rabid VR advocates. :salute:

I know this is probably tongue in cheek but I don't quite understand how some people are so vehemently against something that people are enjoying so much. VR to most people is a mind blowing experience and IMO is helping expand the BoX community. Be happy for that, even if it's not for you.

And remember: Real men fly VR!