dburne

Mission Report txt files?

I noticed in my data folder for BoS, I am accumulating a bunch of missionReport.txt files.

I am assuming this may be because I have logging set to on, for PWCG?

Can all these .txt files be safely deleted?

I noticed in my data folder for BoS, I am accumulating a bunch of missionReport.txt files. I am assuming this may be because I have logging set to on, for PWCG? Can all these .txt files be safely deleted?

IIRC, PWCG saves the files of the last three missions for the case you have to report an error, and then deletes them. If you have more files, then it might be because the files of other missions get saved as well. So if you don't have a bug to report, you can delete them.

I have just deleted 892 mission reports... I have only flown 4 PWCG missions, is this normal?   lol!

If you have logging set to "on" then every flight, w/PWCG or not, generates the mission txt file. I don't think PWCG deletes those, it will delete mission files so only the last 3 are kept.

@dburne

Deleting mission log files is set to "0" for BoS (a mistake).  Set it to "1"

Main menu -> Configuration -> User Preferences -> Delete All Mission Log Files

@Trooper117

Yes, it is.  For some reason BoS and RoF pump out many mission files for a mission.  50 or 60 is not uncommon.    You can tell which files go with a mission because the file name is the same until you get to [0] [1] [2] etc.

@Gramps:

PWCG will clean all mission log files, regardless of what mission created them (PWCG or otherwise), that are greater than 1 day old.

Summary: set delete files to 1 and PWCG will do the cleanup for you.  Because of the need to sometimes keep logs for debugging purposes it does retain the last 24 hours worth of logs.

• Upvote 1

@dburne

Awesome will do, thanks for the info!

Edit: Just deleted them, had over 3,000 of them lol.

Edited by dburne

@dburne

Pat,

I changed this to 1 and it is still generating the mission log txt files. I flew a couple of missions ( first one I ended early), and already have 43 of these in my data folder for BoS...

Pat, I changed this to 1 and it is still generating the mission log txt files. I flew a couple of missions ( first one I ended early), and already have 43 of these in my data folder for BoS...

Look at Patrick's answer to Gramps. PWCG deletes them after one day for debugging purposes.

Look at Patrick's answer to Gramps. PWCG deletes them after one day for debugging purposes.

:good: 

Gotcha thanks, I just should have read a little further.

Speaking of mission report files, I tried to open them both with Block Notes and with Wordpad or Word, but there are many incomprehensible signs.
Are they text files or are they encoded?

The extension is not txt, but MLG...
With which program can they be read correctly?
I think this could sometimes help in debugging a developing mission.

Thanks, Stebas

MLG files are relatively recent.  They appear to be some sort of binary.  PWCG does not use them (cannot at the moment since I have no idea what they represent). 

PWCG uses the txt files.

The MLG files are a fairly direct binary representation of the txt files - I think internally the game dumps out mlg, then runs a utility to convert to the txt format.