Han

Developer Diary, Part 187 - Discussion

The more I stare at these 4k skins the more excited I get for the rest of the aircraft to get 4k default skins. I wonder will it be 2k and 4k versions of the same skins or will they be sets of different schemes?

The more I stare at these 4k skins the more excited I get for the rest of the aircraft to get 4k default skins. I wonder will it be 2k and 4k versions of the same skins or will they be sets of different schemes?

I'm not sure if the already released skins get an update. It could work if the templates allow for a 4k output, otherwise there is no way to upscale from 2k to 4k (well there is, but it isnt very good, more about interpolating).

I'm not sure if the already released skins get an update. It could work if the templates allow for a 4k output, otherwise there is no way to upscale from 2k to 4k (well there is, but it isnt very good, more about interpolating).

Not what I'm talking about at all.

Jason said a few posts back that 4K skins will be optional. This only makes sense if the 2K and 4K versions of the skins are the "same", otherwise two players would see a completely different plane depending on a graphic setting. I as well, can't wait for the sweet sweet 4k skins to become a standard.

Unless you fly with an outside view, or like making videos, it really doesn't make a heap of difference to me whether the aircraft has 2k or 4k skins.

I'm too busy checking the sky and glancing at instruments, navigating and generally trying not to get killed, lol!

• Upvote 1

Jason said a few posts back that 4K skins will be optional. This only makes sense if the 2K and 4K versions of the skins are the "same", otherwise two players would see a completely different plane depending on a graphic setting. I as well, can't wait for the sweet sweet 4k skins to become a standard.

That's what I was thinking about/wondering. Would the 4k be recreations of the same skin sets we have in 2k already or a new set of liveries or a mix.

Unless you fly with an outside view, or like making videos, it really doesn't make a heap of difference to me whether the aircraft has 2k or 4k skins.

I'm too busy checking the sky and glancing at instruments, navigating and generally trying not to get killed, lol!

You see the difference from the cockpit, more than with outside view. Especially on bigger planes it makes a lot of difference (pe-2 has such big pixels it looks really ugly in 2k while the skin motives themselves are nice)

That's what I was thinking about/wondering. Would the 4k be recreations of the same skin sets we have in 2k already or a new set of liveries or a mix.

Well if the skins are to be 4k, optional or not, then it would only work if all the planes have the option I would think. I can't imagine that a whole new set of skins would be in the mix. What would be the point? If you were to actually want a different livery then you always have the option to make one yourself or request one on the Forum?

Only the A-20 is mentioned to reccieve a 4k skin so far. As it has been said ealier it's unknown if previously released aircraft will reccieve 4k versions as well.

About 4k Option. Every skin comes with mipmaps (reduced scale versions) that the game utilizes to save memory at long distance rendering for exmaple. Thats how users will be able to freely adjust if they want skins to be rendered in 4k or 2k resolution.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

You see the difference from the cockpit, more than with outside view. Especially on bigger planes it makes a lot of difference (pe-2 has such big pixels it looks really ugly in 2k while the skin motives themselves are nice)

Speaking of the Pe-2, that one needs some more 4k Skins ;) .

I'm still hoping for a new skin system with a few selectable camouflage finishes and decals for national markings, squadron codes and other insignia.

The current way things are done isn't bad and some of the skins are awesome. But there's not a great deal of variety with multiple aircraft using identical colour schemes including kill marking and tail numbers, and it makes it hard to tell who is in what if you're flying in a squad.

Edited by Royal_Flight
  • Upvote 3

Many have been asking for that since the early days Royal_Flight, sadly the game engine as it stands cannot support it, or so we have been told.

I want it too, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of it ever happening.

Many have been asking for that since the early days Royal_Flight, sadly the game engine as it stands cannot support it, or so we have been told.

I want it too, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of it ever happening.

I imagine they will visit the idea in a couple years if they feel they have not made enough innovative ideas come to life for a while. 

Since I've gotten into the VR end of the sim....that career option is looking better and better all the time.  I just have so much more fun flying offline now than I used to.

Since I've gotten into the VR end of the sim....that career option is looking better and better all the time.  I just have so much more fun flying offline now than I used to.

Yeah, I found that too - flights offline prior to VR to me felt lacking something. VR adds so much that even the flight to and from action is significantly more enjoyable.

Still spend most of my time online though, unless I have one of BlackSix's campaigns to run through.

MURICA!

Dev's: Dumb question. Are we getting the P-47D-23-RA 'Razorback' or the newer P-47D-28-RA. 

Edited by SPEKTRE76

MURICA!

Dev's: Dumb question. Are we getting the P-47D-23-RA 'Razorback' or the newer P-47D-28-RA. 

Jason said the bubbletop during the QA session. It could be the 28 or 30 according to forum speculation (I have no clue about the differences).

Edited by Jade_Monkey

My best guess on P-47 would be the D-28, D-30 or maaaybe the D-40. I'm unclear on the differences as well. After D-25 they were all bubble canopy and with the D-28 power was increased slightly. New ailerons were apparently fitted and a fin fillet was installed either on the D-30 or the D-40 (differing sources seem unclear on this) to help restore some directional stability lost with the bubble canopy. I didn't know this but apparently dive brakes were added to late model P-47s as well to help with controlability in high speed dives.

Dive brakes on a P-47? That's new to me too!

Dive brakes or Dive flaps?

My best guess on P-47 would be the D-28, D-30 or maaaybe the D-40. I'm unclear on the differences as well. After D-25 they were all bubble canopy and with the D-28 power was increased slightly. New ailerons were apparently fitted and a fin fillet was installed either on the D-30 or the D-40 (differing sources seem unclear on this) to help restore some directional stability lost with the bubble canopy. I didn't know this but apparently dive brakes were added to late model P-47s as well to help with controlability in high speed dives.

The fin can be retrofitted to early bubble tops so you can see D-28s with that in photos.

Dive brakes or Dive flaps?

I've seen both written online... Perhaps dive flaps are the more accurate description? Does anyone have any pictures of these?

The fin can be retrofitted to early bubble tops so you can see D-28s with that in photos.

Right!

I've seen both written online... Perhaps dive flaps are the more accurate description? Does anyone have any pictures of these?

Right!

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/LiTOT/Content/1945/P47_Av_4502_dive-flap.html

http://rwebs.net/avhistory/history/p-47.htm

https://aircorpslibrary.com/aircraft/p-47-republic-thunderbolt

Just a quick online look, so not sure of accuracy!

Edited by Haza

Guys,

Point me to a couple cool looking British Boston A-20B paint jobs and I'll have them done by our skin artist for the A-20. Send suggestions in a PM, do not post in this thread.

Jason

Sent a PM on Friday with skin suggestions in it, btw.

Let me know if you want any more.

I'm wondering if 4K skins (assuming they will involve figthers too) are going to be accompanied with 4K textures for damage decals...

I'm wondering if 4K skins (assuming they will involve figthers too) are going to be accompanied with 4K textures for damage decals...

My best guess is that probably not, at least initially.

Guys,

Point me to a couple cool looking British Boston A-20B paint jobs and I'll have them done by our skin artist for the A-20. Send suggestions in a PM, do not post in this thread.

Jason

Check your PMs.