Sign in to follow this  
Stratman59

No challenge from Ai pilots

I set myself a challenge on Kuban map, I set up a 'start in the air' quick mission dogfight to shoot down 3 enemy waves, one coming as soon as I shoot down the first. All Ai set to 'Ace'. I was in the Spitfire. I went through every single Ai plane including all variants of the 109 and 190's and 110's, the MC202, the JU87 and everything else. Apart from taking a few hits form rear gunners, I destroyed all Ai aircraft with minimal damage to myself on first attempt and able to land. One time I ran out of ammo but just flew around for a while until the damaged enemy finally crashed. I think this shows the serious limitations of the Ai rather than my fairly feeble skills.    

It would be great to be able to set up a dogfight against 3 or 4 Ai planes all at once rather than 1 at a time. Is there any way to do this? 

I've tried multiplayer but the servers seem pretty dead! I only found one populated server with 12 people flying? 

In my opinion, AI is not at its best when it comes to energy fighting. A well flown 109F/G or 190A will not give SpitV a chance.

I set myself a challenge on Kuban map, I set up a 'start in the air' quick mission dogfight to shoot down 3 enemy waves, one coming as soon as I shoot down the first. All Ai set to 'Ace'. I was in the Spitfire. I went through every single Ai plane including all variants of the 109 and 190's and 110's, the MC202, the JU87 and everything else. Apart from taking a few hits form rear gunners, I destroyed all Ai aircraft with minimal damage to myself on first attempt and able to land. One time I ran out of ammo but just flew around for a while until the damaged enemy finally crashed. I think this shows the serious limitations of the Ai rather than my fairly feeble skills.    

It would be great to be able to set up a dogfight against 3 or 4 Ai planes all at once rather than 1 at a time. Is there any way to do this? 

I've tried multiplayer but the servers seem pretty dead! I only found one populated server with 12 people flying? 

You can fight any number of Al planes (to a limit) just click on the icon in quick mission that shows multiple planes.

Edited by =EXPEND=DendroAspis

I've tried multiplayer but the servers seem pretty dead! I only found one populated server with 12 people flying?

Which server and at what time? Berloga is often 10v10 or more and is an air spawn straight to dogfight place that can be both fun and challenging if that's what your after. Wings of Liberty is usually full to the point it's difficult to get on it.

As for AI yeah they are no chalange at all... but also you were in one of the best dogfighting aircraft in the game. Do that again in a Lagg-3 or a Mig-3 if you want a challenge.

You could also set a 4v4 but make your wingman "novice" and enemies "ace".

In quick mission muilder  you have different types of icons. If I remember correctly, there is an icon with several planes - there you can set up dogfight against several planes.  It does not have a feature like in 1946, though, where you could set up a battle between lots of different flights with each flight containing different amounts and types of planes.

In quick mission muilder  you have different types of icons. If I remember correctly, there is an icon with several planes - there you can set up dogfight against several planes.  It does not have a feature like in 1946, though, where you could set up a battle between lots of different flights with each flight containing different amounts and types of planes.

I think you can have different flights too.... need to check though.

I’m quite lucky that my flight skills are so bad that the AI is more than a match, sometimes being bad is good

• Upvote 1

There are two friendly flights X up to four aircraft and two enemy flights X up to four aircraft, each flight of up to four can be of any type aircraft, with loadout options assigned by flight at assigned levels and distances and route convergence

So you could have 1 vs 8 or 4 vs 4 or any combination (QMB)

Cheers Dakpilot

I do pretty good against most AI planes, except the 109's. Sometimes I do ok with them, oftentimes they give me fits.

AI interacts a bit different when it has its own objectives and there are multiple different flight airborne in the same vicinity.

AI on ace is a pain not because it can manouver well (I cant) but because it hits you from every angle..

This, but you need to be in a campaign to notice. Most of my bailouts offline were due to some Yak sniping me on a astern headon aproach.

If you start co-alt and head to head they can be tricky due to their suicidal God like head on aim. But once you get past that they generally are easy to shoot down or they have u follow them in a spiral climb to space. Yup AI sucks lol

Those dang 109's give me fits.

Just flew a PWCG mission  in my Spit and came across a couple of them.

One got in one of those circles, and I just could not close on him enough to get in gun range no matter what I did. So there we were just flying in big lazy circles.

Even upped the rpm and engaged the supercharger, still could not close on him. Left it there too long and fried my engine.

They also out dive me, and out climb me. 

Edited by dburne

just flying in big lazy circles.

There's your problem

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try giving myself an altitude disadvantage or.... I checked out what Dakpilot said and it looks like you can set up an 8 v 1 scenario, now that should be a challenge!   

I can't remember which server I tried, to be fair it was mid-afternoon so bound to be a bit sparse. I'll try again one evening.  

• Upvote 1

Happy to report that flying against 4 109-E7's I was shot out of the sky without mercy, just as it should be. Two or three is challenge 'a plenty'. The Ai does seem markedly better when not one on one. They actually seem to work together, splitting off and then once you try and get on ones tail the others come round onto yours.

Much more fun. Thanks to all.   

Honestly, most human pilots don't give much of a challenge either, seeing how you're just murdering them while they're unaware of you. :D

Honestly, most human pilots don't give much of a challenge either, seeing how you're just murdering them while they're unaware of you. :D

Where are you finding these mythical unaware people? Everyone on the opposite team seems to have extra eyes on their rudder when I'm flying...

Where are you finding these mythical unaware people? Everyone on the opposite team seems to have extra eyes on their rudder when I'm flying...

Fly behind the front catching people on their way there, or over their targets while they're waiting for ground attackers.