TheTacticalCat

How do you take off the Stuka with the 1800KG bomb?

AFAIK the 1800kg puts the Stuka well over max takeoff weight (depending on fuel), so it's rightfully difficult to get off the ground while carrying that nuke.

Try taking it off with 10% fuel and see if you can pull that off, and work up from there.

Watch the fuel, no flaps, make sure u have a nice bit of up trim but not so much that you balloon after take off, hold full power on breaks before roll. After take off keep a very flat climb until you pick up a nice speed overhead. You could also close rads for an extra mph.

Just don run full power for too long after take off or you will explode.

Another important thing people often over look is to make sure you are using the full length of the runway.

Once u find what works it is easy

• Upvote 2

Best to try it on a winter map as well. Wait until your tail is up before you apply flaps. Then it is in the lap of the gods.

• Upvote 2

With SC1800 and heavy fuel, the D-3 requires a very long takeoff roll. The in-game airfields usually do not offer enough margin for safety.

In addition to reducing fuel load, try to start at the very end of the runway (or slightly past it). Hold the brakes while you increase engine power. Only apply small corrections with the pedals during the takeoff. Don’t forget to adjust flaps and trim. Keep the aircraft level as long as possible for maximum acceleration.

I've found if I toggle the bomb as I rotate I'm usually airborne right quick.

• Upvote 2

40% Fuel max with SC1800 tho better is like 25%
- No Flaps,
- Hold power on brakes and release.
- Drive down runway (tail up At 90 -125 kph)
- Rotate @ 180-210 KPH if runway allows & take off
(If you on a short runway or started late on it, if you reach only 150-175kph by end of runway then dump stage 1 flaps at this speed and rotate.)
- Keep only shallow climb rate till 250m alt (1-3m/s)

• Like 1

Let’s also keep in mind, that the SC1800 was a very unusual piece of ordinance for the Stuka and was well beyond the normal carrying capacity for that aircraft - it was more like a standard internal bombload for a contemporary twin engined medium bomber than something you strapped underneath an already draggy and underpowered light bomber design.

• Upvote 1

an already draggy and underpowered light bomber design.

*clears throat*

I know English isn't your first language Fink, so understandable mistake, but the words you were looking for were elegant and perfect

:P

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 11

did it first try  full fuel load on a shortish runway and u can get it up but only just. Just keep a very shallow climb

Have you tried just taxiing to your target?

LOL. The enemy would be wide eyed seeing such a thing.

Don't think of the end of the runway as the end of the runway. Use the whole half mile until you're getting close to the woodline. At that point gently pull back on the stick and hope you clear the trees. Works best downhill.

This is one of those Cases where the Engine Limitation System is an actual Killer because you'll barely get over the Trees before the Engine goes "poof". 

But I find it best to take 50% Fuel and it will fly no Problem below 20°C. Over 20°C and it won't climb above 2k.

Why? The 5 sec delay is more than sufficient

You will have to taxi quite fast with just 5 sec delay (I think Kawolski's answer refered to the taxiing to the target) ;)

This is one of those Cases where the Engine Limitation System is an actual Killer because you'll barely get over the Trees before the Engine goes "poof". 

Because of an overloaded loadout? That's the weakest and lamest complaint against the engine limits ever.

• Upvote 2

I just gave it a try in QMB on Kuban summermap from the Gelendzik airfield with 100% fuel, it is possible as you start to the sea, but you have to be very careful and you need a lot of time to get some altitude.

Because of an overloaded loadout? That's the weakest and lamest complaint against the engine limits ever.

I think it's the best Argument against Engine Limits if the Heavy Aircraft cannot Take-Off safely because a Random Timer Shuts off their Engines Half Way through. 

Take Off Power is the Setting you use until you Clear the Obstacles and reach Minimum Safety Altitude (150m), no matter the Load. An Engine unable to do that is not Airworthy. 

Since I love to prove people wrong. I can tell you that you can take off with 100% fuel + armor plates on sides, dive siren and 1800 KG bomb. And you don't even need a very long airfield for that, you can still use the gras before and behind the airfield if needed.

I took off on one of the smallest airfields in BoX, somewhere in moscow(Ivanovskoe) without problems with Ju 87 1800 KG bomb.

I can post the Video of Ju87 taking off with 100% fuel + armor plates on the sides, + dive siren and the 1800 KG bomb. It's really THAT easy. ;)

(!)AND DON'T USE FLAPS IN JU 87! It needs speed and not lift. And make a 2 point not 3 point take off. Try to get on the maingear as fast as possible(by pulling the stick forward), it makes your plane faster.(!)

Edited by MeoW.Scharfi
  • Upvote 1

Runways seem short for heavy load outs . like all have said dump fuel to start off with . Good luck .

(!)AND DON'T USE FLAPS IN JU 87! It needs speed and not lift. And make a 2 point not 3 point take off. Try to get on the maingear as fast as possible(by pulling the stick forward), it makes your plane faster.(!)

+1

This is what I always do and it really isn't that bad.

Managed to get it off a concrete runway with SC 1800, full fuel, side armor and sirens with no headwind on the autumn map, but man, the climb rate is absolutely in the tank in that configuration. I used up all my time on climb power and had to switch to nominal power at which point I could barely scrape out a 1m/s climb until I reached 2000m at which point it just refused to climb any higher on nominal power. I never managed to reach the proper altitude to conduct a diving attack.

I reached 2000m (...) never managed to reach the proper altitude to conduct a diving attack.

2000m is absolutely sufficient for this.

The last time I've dropped a 1.8ton egg from a Stuka, I've started to flip over at slightly above 1000m. Shorter time to aim, but still sufficient. You don't need to drop that massive egg as close as you have with 250kg bombs, so that's not that much of an issue.

Cheers!

Mike

*clears throat*

I know English isn't your first language Fink, so understandable mistake, but the words you were looking for were elegant and perfect

:P

I second that !  :biggrin:

2000m is absolutely sufficient for this.

The last time I've dropped a 1.8ton egg from a Stuka, I've started to flip over at slightly above 1000m. Shorter time to aim, but still sufficient. You don't need to drop that massive egg as close as you have with 250kg bombs, so that's not that much of an issue.

Cheers!

Mike

I'm not saying it isn't doable, but it's certainly not proper or in line with any instruction manual.

Managed to get it off a concrete runway with SC 1800, full fuel, side armor and sirens with no headwind on the autumn map, but man, the climb rate is absolutely in the tank in that configuration. I used up all my time on climb power and had to switch to nominal power at which point I could barely scrape out a 1m/s climb until I reached 2000m at which point it just refused to climb any higher on nominal power. I never managed to reach the proper altitude to conduct a diving attack.

Tss I thought that you were a VVS pilot, you'd know that the proper altitude for dive bombing is actually 100m, and drop the bomb when you can look the tank's driver in his eyes.

You will have to taxi quite fast with just 5 sec delay (I think Kawolski's answer refered to the taxiing to the target) ;)

Ditch the bomb on the ground/too low altitude and it wont detonate anyway. This negates the fuse altogether.

But I guess I get the joke. ;):biggrin:

Ditch the bomb on the ground/too low altitude and it wont detonate anyway. This negates the fuse altogether.

But I guess I get the joke. ;):biggrin:

The 5 sec delay allows you to drop at very low alt (even on the ground) a bomb without "freezing" the fuse.

I think it's the best Argument against Engine Limits if the Heavy Aircraft cannot Take-Off safely because a Random Timer Shuts off their Engines Half Way through. 

Take Off Power is the Setting you use until you Clear the Obstacles and reach Minimum Safety Altitude (150m), no matter the Load. An Engine unable to do that is not Airworthy. 

Nothing really to do with engine limits, if you are trying to take off from a runway that is below min length for a given weight

Were the earlier DB 601 engines with clockwork 1 minute timer limit for takeoff power unairworthy? 

every (trained) pilot will be aware (or at least be able to refer to the charts) of what minimum runway length at different weights and density altitudes are needed to clear the "150M" obstacle, also this type of work would often be done by a flight planning department long before orders to load bombs at a particular airfield were given

The potential risk of engine damage (or failure) by running outside of limits to try and take off from an out of spec runway would not be worth it, especially carrying a 1800kg bomb

Cheers, Dakpilot

Honestly my recommendation is: Don't use the 1800kg bomb. Try to master the Stuka with a "Normal" bomb load. The only time I have used the 1800 kg bomb is when bombing strategic buildings which if you are bombing specific points you should try using a He 111, it is much better for it.

(!)AND DON'T USE FLAPS IN JU 87! It needs speed and not lift.

I took off from the south east runway of Gelendzik-2, which is not too long, with flaps at 180 km/h at the end of the runway, so it is completely depending on the player's preference, if he wants to take off with or without flaps.

• Upvote 1

I took off from the south east runway of Gelendzik-2, which is not too long, with flaps at 180 km/h at the end of the runway, so it is completely depending on the player's preference, if he wants to take off with or without flaps.

Sure but using flaps on TO on prop driven planes should normally only be used for a momentary increase in climb to clear an object. The drag induced by flaps usually outweights it's benefits.

I've just tested this myself and was able to take off from the runway and climb to 500m with 60% fuel loaded. Firstly make sure your water rad is fully open and you aren't using flaps. It's best to get your tail off the ground AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and rotate at 200km/h . When you are airborn close your water radiator and pull back your RPM to about 65% of the way. Adjust your A.T.A accordingly at around 10 or so. Once climbing re open your water radiator and tada! You're flying. Your plane is heavier than sin and thus can't climb that fast so keep that in mind oh and you should avoid turning at low alts at all costs. Oh and this was during the summer so flying in winter will be a breeze!   

( Small note ; I overran the runway on each test I did from 10% fuel to 60%. You will overrun the runway with this payload! )

Edited by Mr_Offensive

Keep an eye on wind direction some servers have enough wind to make a difference. 

Prespool Engine on brakes. 
Precool engine while taxiing with max cooling.
Take off closed rads.