Sign in to follow this  
LFL-EightyPLUS

Ever heard of Ghosting?

Hi all,

Just now, on WOL server while flying in a LA-5 in clear skies, all of the sudden i got peppered from my 6 o'clock leaving a massive hole in my wing.
While making an evasive manouvre i noticed there was absolutely no enemy what so ever...about a minute afterwards everybody noticed lag on the server, then it crashed.
apparently this is a symptom of someone using a cheat or a hack to become invisible; called ghosting...

Do you guys know anything more about it? and how often it occurs??

Thanks! 

There is a log file somewhere that you are meant to send to the devs if there is an invisible plane online. I'm not sure where but maybe someone else can help.

Btw it is extremely rare for this to happen.

More likely another instance of a recurring bug than a hack. 'Invisible planes' have been reported occasionally ever since BoS was first released. Like AreoAce says, a server log might help track the issue down.

More likely another instance of a recurring bug than a hack. 'Invisible planes' have been reported occasionally ever since BoS was first released. Like AreoAce says, a server log might help track the issue down.

The devs specifically created a file to track this bug/hack that you are meant to submit but I cant for the life of me find that post. It was maybe a year ago

Anyway if you have loaded a new server it may have been overwritten already.

Maybe someone could find the relevant information for next time.

Edited by AeroAce

The devs specifically created a file to track this bug/hack that you are meant to submit but I cant for the life of me find that post. It was maybe a year ago

Anyway if you have loaded a new server it may have been overwritten already.

Maybe someone could find the relevant information for next time.

Finding the cause of 'invisibility plane' issue (Special Thread #2)

I was under the impression that multiplayer ghosting is the act of spying on the other team via either live stream or by having 2 game clients open at the same time.  The purpose is to gain enemy positions and tactics, etc.  

I have seen ghost planes in both single player and multiplayer.

Guys thanks for the input! i truly appreciate it!!

As it happens, i didnt play online since it happened so i'd imagine the Log is still active, ill post it asap.

Thanks again!!!

Wish I had known about this. A month or so ago on WoL I was shot-up during startup on the airfield with no AC in sight. Server crashed shortly after as well.

• Upvote 1

I was under the impression that multiplayer ghosting is the act of spying on the other team via either live stream or by having 2 game clients open at the same time.  The purpose is to gain enemy positions and tactics, etc.  

I have seen ghost planes in both single player and multiplayer.

yes correct. 

prob just some bug as the server was crashing

yes correct. 

prob just some bug as the server was crashing

But how does that explain damage to the aircraft???

Or is that part of the bug??

I was going to start a new thread as I could not find the original thread from a while back about planes in multiplayer (in WoL as it the only show in town) suddenly appearing well within the 10k visual range but I will for now chuck it in here as this is probably the same thing.

In the last few days on WoL i have witnessed three instances of planes disappearing and reappearing as I was looking at them. In all instances the planes were at a distance and in the last instance where I knew for certain what I was looking at the plane in question were not in combat and was a German friendly.

The plane in question disappeared for many seconds (seemed like 5 seconds, but I did not count) before reappearing in the general area where I expected.

WoL has in my limited experience has had a significant increase in bulk instant disconnections of anywhere from one or two, to several to 10's of players whilst the mission itself and the other remaining players are unaffected.

I am beginning to believe that the issue is either WoL networks issue (most likely) or a BoX multiplayer code issue and not one of cheating.

I am beginning to believe that the issue is either WoL networks issue (most likely) or a BoX multiplayer code issue and not one of cheating.

Yeah, I don't think it's cheating either.  In fact, I had a situation with you once where you were right beside me, and you swore I was blind because I couldn't see you, and I might very well be blind, but not that blind.  Then the server crashed a few minutes later.

Edited by Iceworm

It still happens to me on Euro and Russian servers.

Once co-op functions are in place I am going to have to

learn and restudy and make co-ops for NA players to play with no lag  ;)

Co-ops all the way.