UberDemon

Pilot Flare Gun Comments (& Pics) / Pilot Personal Gun Comments

Greetings,

This is one of my first post on this forum and I apologize if this topic was already discussed (I did a search and did not find anything on this).  I have the deluxe early access version so I started to look into the control settings.  Under Weapon Controls I saw a few features which peaked my interest, namely:

1. Ctrl + ~ (Put away flare/personal gun)
  2. Ctrl + [1 through 4] (enable flare gun of 4 different colors)
  3. Ctrl + 5 (enable personal gun)
  4. Fire flare/personal gun (the default does not work well because it fires the aircraft's main guns... so I suggest something like Alt + Z)

I am not too familiar with RoF so I can't comment on how this relates, but at first, when I tried to use the features above, they did not work.  I finally figured how to get them to work, but it seems the features could be much more interesting... in any way this is what I found out:

• You can only use the feature (Ctrl 1-5) when the cockpit canopy is open, whether on ground or flying
  • You can only fire from first person view, or cockpit (F1); in outside view (F2), I could not make it work
  • You cannot use the feature when in parachute (when you land on your feet you can't use the flares... this does not quite make sense though...  :biggrin:)
  • Personal gun feature is not enabled... so no personal pistol/weapon as of yet, just flares
  • Within the cockpit, an arm appears with a gun and you can use mouse of joystick POV to direct arm... then you fire using proper command... I suggest mapping Alt + Z for personal flare/gun.
  • If you fire the flare inside the cockpit, you will have repercussions (broken gauges and glass)

From a paying customer point of view, I hope the development team continues to develop this type of feature... a personal gun would be nice... I hear the team is not going to model infantry and that is too bad... it would be nice to see something like the old "WW2 Fighters" infantry feature... plus if you had some elementary ground movement, that means you have a fighting chance to not get captured.  Just thoughts, but this is promising.

Below are some pictures:

udil2bos%20(2).jpg

udil2bos%20(3).jpg

udil2bos%20(4).jpg

udil2bos%20(5).jpg

udil2bos%20(6).jpg

udil2bos%20(7).jpg

udil2bos%20(8).jpg

udil2bos%20(9).jpg

udil2bos%20(10).jpg

udil2bos%20(11).jpg

• Upvote 1

I think my biggest gripe with the flare gun and its implementation right now is that you can't open the side windows on the 109...or if you can I have yet to figure out how. This basically renders the option not quite useless, but less than effective. And to be honest, once the monoplane was in full swing with much bigger and stronger airframes, and providing much more pilot protection than their predecessor (see biplanes), the personal weapon is pretty much obsolete by this time.

It's fairly useless in a WW1 context too. Admittedly it is funny turning around and shooting my Colt .45 at a persuer I just can't shake in RoF, but I've never actually shot anyone down that way. It's doubtful I've even landed many hits. The flare gun is a different matter. That is highly useful for signaling friendlies. The Bf-109's even had a flare gun tube on the right side of the cockpit, we have this in game though it does not work.

Yes, we should be able to use the flare tube. I assume you can set yourself on fire with the flares like you can in ROF...

I have managed kills with the ROF sidearms, not recently though. The update that adjusted the damage model making engine fires much less likely made sidearm kills almost impossible. I know its daft but flaming someone's engine with the Webley was one of my great sim moments :)

Did somebody try to fire a flare fiying in the 109? What happens with the canopy inflight?

I need to check this due to by aerodynamics should be difficult to open the sideway canopy of the 109.

Did somebody try to fire a flare fiying in the 109? What happens with the canopy inflight?

I need to check this due to by aerodynamics should be difficult to open the sideway canopy of the 109.

Tried that, the canopy broke off when you open it lol.

Nice to see you Uberdemon, you did some great things in the first IL2 title. :salute:

Nice to see you Uberdemon, you did some great things in the first IL2 title. :salute:

Yeah- loved the UD quick mission generator :)))

Hey UD great to see you here.. not much for me to add to this thread.

I can see these flares becoming pretty useful gameplay wise. Let's say a group of people online are flying together and attacking ground targets. One guy sees them first and marks them with his flare for the others to see.

Or if someone is in trouble and needs being "rescued" you could shoot them for the rescue plane to come pick you up. I can only dream this will happen eventually.