Mr_Offensive

About bailing

If I'm not mistaken when an aircraft was going down or the entire crew contemplated jumping from the plane the pilot ( player ) would be the last to jump. I'd like to propose the discussion of such historical actions in the game. I've seen this happen since IL-2 1946 and it's always puzzled me quite a bit how in the PE-2 the belly gunner has his own hatch from which to jump meaning the gunner behind the pilot and the belly gunner could both jump at the same time followed by the pilot. Anyway that was just a thought I would have liked to throw into the community.

• Upvote 2

I feel in a multicrew aircraft the pilot should be the last to bail.

Who's gonna hold the plane steady while it is crashing down? Not sure if the old rope the yoke trick is implemented in the sim. .lol

Edited by spartan85
  • Upvote 1

I kind of wonder why there is even an option to bail in this game, it doesn't really do anything. Bailing in this game is pretty much the same as dying. immersion?

I kind of wonder why there is even an option to bail in this game, it doesn't really do anything. Bailing in this game is pretty much the same as dying. immersion?

Well, not everybody flies on Airquake Servers. On War Servers, in which you want to live a long Virtual Life, bailing out is essential. 

• Upvote 3

+1 to having the pilot stay until last.

The bailout animations seem to work in a very slow one-by-one way. It seems illogical that the gunners don't jump for it with an open door right in front of them. Currently they wait for each member to go causing most of them to die when they hit the ground. 

harrumph_2.jpg

No need to bail?!  Harrumph on you good sir,  Harrumph indeed.

When flying Did mission, we do Everything we can to not die.

Seeing the ground closing in sitting in the belly of the he111 as topp gunner is nerv wrecking. but still nice tho see the animation inside the plane with opening of hatches, easy to understand how hard i must have been to get out of the planes with some G's.

But on topic, in MY plane so is it every man for him self when the plane is going down. the rage i would feel dying just because the belly gunner had not packed his things.

Anyway, you should not always be able to bail out successfully. As long as you press Control E you live, pretty much, when in a plane that is spinning a bomber crew may be trapped inside, something the devs need to factor in more. Parachutes may catch on fire or not open due to damage while escaping. Not every bailout should work so well.

Anyway, you should not always be able to bail out successfully. As long as you press Control E you live, pretty much, when in a plane that is spinning a bomber crew may be trapped inside, something the devs need to factor in more. Parachutes may catch on fire or not open due to damage while escaping. Not every bailout should work so well.

The faster your plane is going the longer it takes to actually bail out. Also spinning makes it take longer. One time my pilot couldn't bail out as the plane was spinning too fast, so to me it seems like this is modeled.  

• Upvote 1

The faster your plane is going the longer it takes to actually bail out. Also spinning makes it take longer. One time my pilot couldn't bail out as the plane was spinning too fast, so to me it seems like this is modeled.

Ye's, there have been times when the pilot is not able to bail due to extreme spin and g's

It's quite rattling...

Gunners take way too long to evacuate the plane. I remember many moments when I stared at my burning wreck anxiously waiting for a second / few more parachutes to open.

it was a while ago but my wing man and I flying yak 1b's followed an enemy in a dive. To our horror we both lost all of our control surfaces and watched helplessly, as we were going too fast to bail as we crashed into the ground about 30 meters from each other, still in formation lol. 

kind of terrifying in VR, I really was mashing my bail out button.

Gunners take way too long to evacuate the plane. I remember many moments when I stared at my burning wreck anxiously waiting for a second / few more parachutes to open.

Gunners may have been dead, wounded or stuck (if that can happen). Besides, gunners have to crawl to the hatch or the bomb bay if open or cleared of bombs, to bail out.

it was a while ago but my wing man and I flying yak 1b's followed an enemy in a dive. To our horror we both lost all of our control surfaces and watched helplessly, as we were going too fast to bail as we crashed into the ground about 30 meters from each other, still in formation lol. 

kind of terrifying in VR, I really was mashing my bail out button.

Same thing would not happen on the German side as they can open their canopy and bail at any speed.

Russian canopies currently only open below 350 kph :-(

As I only bail when the aircraft is totally unable to fly, eg the whole wing or tail is gone,  then it is pointless saying that I should stay at the controls until everyone else is gone.  Besides, there were quite a few bombers where certain gun positions were certain death if you were in them when the plane went out of control.  Ball gunners had bugger all chance in a bomber in a death spiral. Some tail gunner turrets had to be turned sideways before you could exit so loss of hydraulics doomed you plus there was no room for a parachute so it was left lying outside and you would never get it on in time while crashing.  I am sure some pilots stayed at the control when it was worth it to help the others get out but there must have also been many pilots who felt they had done their job and jumped once they had told the crew to bail.

Seconded.

On OP topic : I guess that the pilot should try to keep the plane as safe as possible for bailling, and should stay the last then. However, I think that in some obviously dramatic damages situations, everybody would try to escape as soon as possible, whatever the "rules", "commands", etc (for example when a wing is lost).

You only get a death on the scoreboard if you die, so it does matter in this game.

I feel in a multicrew aircraft the pilot should be the last to bail.

Griefing. Someone could just join a bomber and bail all his gunners. 

Edited by Y-29.Silky

The pilot, being the "captain of the ship" was the last to bail at least in the USAAF. Gunners did have a difficult time especially when they had to put their parachute on before jumping, but the pilot was last. He was responsible for the crew, and it was duty and honor to be the last out. If he just jumped and abandoned the crew his career would be over if he ever made it back. I have never come across any account where the pilot did jump first.

Same thing would not happen on the German side as they can open their canopy and bail at any speed.

Russian canopies currently only open below 350 kph :-(

Only those of LaGG and La-5, Yak-1 and Mig-3 open/close at around 450 kph max.

Well, not everybody flies on Airquake Servers. On War Servers, in which you want to live a long Virtual Life, bailing out is essential. 

Some of us airquakers value our virtual lives above all else as well..........

• Upvote 1

Yeah pretty much especial in combination with Server with stats (Air kill streak) :>

Gunners may have been dead, wounded or stuck (if that can happen). Besides, gunners have to crawl to the hatch or the bomb bay if open or cleared of bombs, to bail out.

This is why pilot should bail last to hold aircraft steady for crew to have time to bail...

I hate seeing the ship plummeting down while hanging from the silk and not all crew make it out, or bail 50 feet from the ground.

If you ever want to appreciate what that 'holding the plane steady while the crew bales out' thing actually means, I recommend reading (or finding the BBC radio version on YouTube) Len Deighton's Bomber. That will haunt your dreams...

If you ever want to appreciate what that 'holding the plane steady while the crew bales out' thing actually means, I recommend reading (or finding the BBC radio version on YouTube) Len Deighton's Bomber. That will haunt your dreams...

Lol a really scary one is the story of a Wellington bomber crew member that climbed on to the wing of his aircraft to put a fire out in flight because they didn't want to bail over France.

Lol a really scary one is the story of a Wellington bomber crew member that climbed on to the wing of his aircraft to put a fire out in flight because they didn't want to bail over France.

James Ward was his name, if anyone cares to google

Also, still need the ability to leabe aircraft when crash landed.... nothing like ditching then getting stuck in a flaming wreck...

Or even the guy who shot you down comes around for a strafe to finish the job

Edited by spartan85

Case and point, was just on taw server, in pe2, got jumped by 2 109s, right engine fire, too low to bail, fuel tank exploded, crashed, survived, had to wait 15 seconds in burning wreck to despawn and died while waiting :(

I believe in some servers , like TAW , it is vital to save a pilot over a plane and yeah immersion works too

Case and point, was just on taw server, in pe2, got jumped by 2 109s, right engine fire, too low to bail, fuel tank exploded, crashed, survived, had to wait 15 seconds in burning wreck to despawn and died while waiting :(

Not seeing the issue here. If believe it would take more than 15 seconds to physically get yourself out of a plane on the ground.

Is it possible to be captured after bailing Or when crash landing on enemies side of front? I always try to make an effort to at least cross the lines iF possible before I bail or force land

Is it possible to be captured after bailing Or when crash landing on enemies side of front? I always try to make an effort to at least cross the lines iF possible before I bail or force land

I can only comment on the multi player and then only on WoL...

It is possible to 'escape' (random dice roll) after landing/ditching in enemy territory.

Amazingly I have had two this month on 30 odd flights.