Sign in to follow this  
Leaf

Another graphics card thread

Hi everyone, 

another graphics card question for you all (you must be thrilled!):

Is upgrading from an Nvidia GTX 760 to a GTX 960 worth it? Caveat: the GTX 960 I'm looking to buy costs only £90 (or $127).

Given how cheap the GTX 960 is, is it worth the upgrade? Let's face it, I'm not going to find a cheaper one anywhere else.

I currently get 40 fps on High settings in multiplayer, with the occasional stutter. I play on a 1080p screen and am not looking to upgrade to VR anytime soon.

My system specs are, briefly:

Windows 10
Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz (4 Cores)
GTX 760 
8GB RAM

So is the GTX 960 a reasonable upgrade given the ludicrously low price? If not, what's the greatest bottleneck? CPU?

Many thanks,

Leaf

Edited by Leaf

No since for the same price you could get a GTX 1050, which is vastly superior. The GTX 1050 has very little mining value and so hasn't seen its price horribly inflated.

No since for the same price you could get a GTX 1050, which is vastly superior. The GTX 1050 has very little mining value and so hasn't seen its price horribly inflated.

Interesting, what makes it vastly superior? I thought the performance was roughly the same, if not a bit worse for the 1050?

DaveP63: Noticeable difference of a GTX 1050 vs a GTX1050TI. Unfortunately, there is also now a significant difference in price.

The prices here in Canadaland are through the roof. The 1060 3GB I bought for $265 in October is at $469 right now and it's sold out. The 1070 I considered buying was $540 in October, now it's $935 and it's sold out as well. If I had to buy a card right today, I would probably get a 1050. The 1060s and up are stupid overpriced.

If Bitcoin crashes and burns (wouldn't bother me a damn) a million cards are going to show up on Ebay the very next day. There will be single sellers trying to dump 10 cards. :rolleyes:

960 is not worth it, only single-digit percent faster than 760.

The GPU is limiting your performance. Get the 960 if you want a very small upgrade.

Thanks for all your replies guys; the 960, however cheap it is, is out of the window.

So now I'm looking at a 1050Ti 4GB, am I going to see a noticeable performance increase? 970's are hard-to-come by, given the absurd increases in GPU values. 

No idea how the process of "mining" cryptocurrencies actually works, but I'm not liking what it's done to the graphics card market..

GTX 1050 TI's are popular in mining, they currently retail in the USA for about $100 above MSRP and that's only if you can actually find one. GTX 1060's and up are going for twice MSRP from scalpers and AMD anything is going at 3-4x MSRP from scalpers. So with that in mind, I think the basic GTX 1050 will serve you well for now. They are still cheap and definitely entry level (is there anything worse than a GTX 1050 this generation?) but it should be enough for BoS at 60 fps at 1080p at medium to high settings.

GTX 1050 Ti, even the 4 GB version, is only slightly faster than a 760. Better than the 960, but still not a significant upgrade.

I would recommend that you either buy a 970 or 1060, or wait until the market changes.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

Thanks for all your replies guys; the 960, however cheap it is, is out of the window.

So now I'm looking at a 1050Ti 4GB, am I going to see a noticeable performance increase? 970's are hard-to-come by, given the absurd increases in GPU values. 

No idea how the process of "mining" cryptocurrencies actually works, but I'm not liking what it's done to the graphics card market..

Not sure how much of an increase you will see. I upgraded from a 6 series card and it was vastly improved. I can run it off line during any campaign mission on ultra with no issue. YMMV.

All those cards are very close in performance just check 3d MARK Fire Strike GPU SCORE...GTX760 - 6800 points,GTX960 - 7800 points, GTX1050Ti around 8000 points.

You need GTX970 or GTX1060 to see significant performance improvement...but if you can get GTX960 4gb for 130$ its not a bad upgrade if you overclock this card to 1400mhz+ core and 8000mhz memory you will see improvement over your GTX760.

There is GTX1050ti with core i7 4770 in BOS ,your i5 4690 +GTX960 OC should run the BOS at the same level 

Edited by Fishbed64
  • Thanks 1

You have to keep drivers in mind. Nvidia is notorious for horrible drivers and only supporting their most current devices. See all the GTX 780 TI complaints on this forum for a prime example. I fully expect Nvidia to completely ignore the existence of my 1080 TI this summer when they release a new generation of GPU's. The result is driver updates will very likely start decreasing performance or introduce bugs without fixing any. So buying an older Nvidia GPU is generally a bad idea, even if the firestrike results are similar.

Am afraid you talking rubbish again,if Nvidia is known for horrible drivers and support, whats AMD known for?((((-;...The other things about Nvidia decreasing performance is just tinfoil hat category comment.At current "mining" prices of other cards ,GTX960 for 130$ is not a bad deal.  

The prices here in Canadaland are through the roof. The 1060 3GB I bought for $265 in October is at $469 right now and it's sold out.

This same card is now $525. A $55 increase in less than a week.

At least stock seems to be improving. Newegg and Amazon have had 1080 and 1080 Ti continuously available for a few days. Two weeks ago that wasn't the case.

Of course, prices are still high. However, it seems that they have been largely stable for several days. It is possible that the worst is over.