TheTacticalCat

What to expect from your shiny new P39-L1

Would the issue with engine over-revving still be present in the 39 like it is in the P40?

The the question we're currently trying to figure out an answer to ;)

Edited by Panthera

Didn't know that, thus I agree we need know wether these were fitted to Soviet P-39's by 1943. A few of the quotes seen so far indicates they might not have, careful attention to the limits of the engine being noted as esp. important.

Sounds like a good idea for an optional modification, then.

Do we know that for certain? According to an April 1944 manual, V1710-63's had been refitted with pressure control devices in service as time and maintenance permitted. So we would need to know what exactly the Soviets got&used in 1943, over Kuban.

Oh I would be so happy if it turns out our P-39 had a regulator - provided it’s historically accurate of course.

Would the issue with engine over-revving still be present in the 39 like it is in the P40?

That is more a question about the propeller and the CSP unit. The L version of the P-39 got a new Curtis Electric propeller to better utilize the more powerful engine that was introduced on the K. It could be, that it’s actually pretty much the same prop as on the P-40 (being a Curtis and all)

Oh I would be so happy if it turns out our P-39 had a regulator - provided it’s historically accurate of course.

The DD for the A20 said spectifically that the A20 did not have manifold pressure regulators on its engines. There was no such statement on the P39 one. Putting 2+2 together to get 5 I'd say the p39 will have one. Some P40Es got the modification later in the war.

The DD for the A20 said spectifically that the A20 did not have manifold pressure regulators on its engines. There was no such statement on the P39 one. Putting 2+2 together to get 5 I'd say the p39 will have one. Some P40Es got the modification later in the war.

I think that’s over-analysing things. We have had no DD diving i to the details of the P-39, or did I miss that?

We have had no DD diving i to the details of the P-39, or did I miss that?

Unfortunately we don't have that yet. All I hope for is that Friday brings a P39-centric post. 

What to expect?  Well, plush seats, ash tray, cigarette lighter and a drink holder at the minimum.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I think that’s over-analysing things. We have had no DD diving i to the details of the P-39, or did I miss that?

Yeah that's what 2+2=5 means, sorry for the slang.

I'm rather nervously wondering if it will be cold meat like the BoS P-40.

P40 should not like that because players dunno how to play it.

1.they tend to fly p40 at low altitude so it's diving performance was seriously limited.

2. At high altitude ,the game's graphic engine will blend in faraway enemy,and have speed blur,means the faster you are the more little chance you will see enemy down below.

3.in history kittyhwaks always attack in huge numbers.this can't be seen in most ol servers.

P40 should not like that because players dunno how to play it.

1.they tend to fly p40 at low altitude so it's diving performance was seriously limited.

2. At high altitude ,the game's graphic engine will blend in faraway enemy,and have speed blur,means the faster you are the more little chance you will see enemy down below.

3.in history kittyhwaks always attack in huge numbers.this can't be seen in most ol servers.

"I had deliberately decided that any deficiency the Kittyhawk had was offset by aggression."

- Nicky Barr, RAAF

• Upvote 1

"I had deliberately decided that any deficiency the Kittyhawk had was offset by aggression."

- Nicky Barr, RAAF

Indeed, I feel this is a true statement. I've shot down many a 109 and even some 190s who look back and see me, lightly start to climb up noticing its a P40, but do not realize I've just dived from 5k meters to meet them. I commonly fly at just the altitude where my MP can no longer go past max continuous and just cruise there when I play online. Gah I need more time so I can play online again...

What to expect?  Well, plush seats, ash tray, cigarette lighter and a drink holder at the minimum.  :biggrin:

Most importantly - "a relief tube in the shape of funnel".

- Nicky Barr, RAAF

No doubt the P40 can engage with tons of smash, manage to be agile at it, and six (or just four) 50s rip things. Then, you have this sweet high MP setting which will blow your engine, but in the meantime...

I'm a poor shot, but I think I had been doing better (as in kills) in the P40, than the La5. Unfortunately, I got tired of P40 because she forces you to fight to the bitter end, or bug-out very early.

Got shot down yesterday by a P-40 at 6 km altitude, the guy started out with perhaps a 500 m height advantage, he turned that into speed quite effectively I must say. After a few turns we met head on, me striking atleast his engine with a 20mm round (big blast) whilst at the same time my aircraft got riddled with 50's. He ended up flying on whilst my aircraft lost all control nd I had to bail.

- Nicky Barr, RAAF

Note the bold A in RAAF. They are all pretty much like that, or at least were in those days, whatever they were doing. ;) 

No, the P39 had a governor. The P40 didn't. It doesn't however have a pressure sensor I think so it'll affect something with the combat/boost time. Not sure how that works.

Got shot down yesterday by a P-40 at 6 km altitude, the guy started out with perhaps a 500 m height advantage, he turned that into speed quite effectively I must say. After a few turns we met head on, me striking atleast his engine with a 20mm round (big blast) whilst at the same time my aircraft got riddled with 50's. He ended up flying on whilst my aircraft lost all control nd I had to bail.

P40 with an alt advantage is probably it's one shining feature.

"You mess with the bull, you get the horns!"

The P-40 is deceptively good in the horizontal as long as the energy lasts. I really enjoy flying it ever since they updated the FM, even with the combat power restrictions. Only thing I would wish for is a MAP regulator so that I don't forget to add boost while I zoom up for my next attack. :/

Note the bold A in RAAF. They are all pretty much like that, or at least were in those days, whatever they were doing. ;)

I remember back in the '80s we had an Australian exchange student at my school...she was pretty wild, LOL.

mZtTEz3.jpg

Propeller controls can be found on page six of this P39 manual.

Note that there is a (2) for our Curtiss prop, but it only refers to what to do in the event of a failure of the switch. 

Edited by =VOE=PangolinWranglin
  • Upvote 1

An interesting design - and a very rare landing gear setup. Guess I'll get her.

Looks like well-concentrated fire power. Want to see the guns firing?

150 rounds per minute is garbage. It's clearly an anti-bomber weapon. You'd have to be an excellent shot to hit that, unless the muzzle velocity is high, which im sure it's not, then it'd be more of a snipe/one shot, one kill gun.

I think I read that the muzzle velocity is not very high. That combined with the size of the round led to some pretty dramatic "bullet drop" in air to air combat at range. You need to lob the shells at your opponent, rather than fire them.  :biggrin:

I think I read that the muzzle velocity is not very high. That combined with the size of the round led to some pretty dramatic "bullet drop" in air to air combat at range. You need to lob the shells at your opponent, rather than fire them.  :biggrin:

No problem, but once they hit its the most satisfying feeling ;)

Curtis electric prop with a smaller arc and a different reduction gear ratio, that could very well make it a dog.  Forget everything your reading about N's and Q's, it won't apply.