Sign in to follow this  
1_Robert_

Eastern Front Air war books

Can anyone recommend a good Eastern front book that I can download on iBooks on my iPhone? I’m interested in something covering the Luft/VVS battles, ideally from a German pilot’s perspective. Thanks!

Stuka pilot - by Hans Ulrich Rudel,or if you would like too read about VVS. Attack of the Aircobras - by Dmitriy Loza

Edited by The_Ant
  • Upvote 1

War Diary of Hauptmann Helmut Liepfert.

I have no idea about a downloadable version - you can figure that part out on your own.

• Upvote 1

Luftwaffe Fighter Ace by Norbert Hannig

Cheers, Dakpilot

Definitely second this one.

Two others, from the VVS side: Red Star Against the Swastika and A Dance with Death, an Il-2 pilot memoir and a collection of female soviet pilot accounts, respectively.

Finally, the last quarter or so of Mahlke's Memoirs of a Stuka Pilot includes his time on the Eastern front. He spends a lot of time training, then fighting on the western front and in the Mediterranean and Africa before his brief stint in the east tho.

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr
  • Thanks 1

Luftwaffe Fighter Ace by Norbert Hannig   Cheers, Dakpilot

Third'd. Can't recommend this book enough.

Tried reading Rudel's Stuka Pilot but it was a bit dry for me. I think maybe the English translation I read wasn't well done. 

Hannig is cheerful and his book very approachable, Rudel is not very likeable, Lipfert is quite dry.

Wish Steinhoff had penned more memoirs, I really enjoyed his 2 books.

I got Airocobras and was quite surprised by the relatively lax approach to flying (but maybe that was more of a translation / cultural issue)

Thanks guys- I purchased Luftwaffe Fighter Ace and it was available on iBooks so it’s exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for the recommendation.

I read a very good one volume book on the Ostfront air wars over the holidays.

"War over the Steppes", by E.R.Hooton.

https://www.amazon.com/War-over-Steppes-campaigns-Aviation/dp/1472815629

very well researched, relying on the latest German and Russian research on the subject. Learned quite a few things.

However, it is not a 1st hand account and their are few pilot anecdotes. The focus of the book is on the operational level, i.e. Luftflottes and Air armies, good if you want to know the relative forces in any sector and the challenges faced by the operational commanders in the Luftwaffe and VVS.

For 1st hand pilot accounts, the best is the "Black Cross Red Star" series.

The 2 Osprey volumes 109 Aces and 190 Aces on the Eastern Front are quite good and not dry at all. John Weal makes them really enjoyable and entertaining.

I have most of the ones listed above - another favorite of mine is "Ostfront"  It ties the ground war well with the air war. The maps are great for mission makers and just regular players to understand the war better.

A big thank you to Luger who sent me some reading, you are a good man :)

I purchased Luftwaffe Fighter Ace (Hanning) and read it this weekend. What an amazing book and amazing guy. I loved how he had a dog on the front lines and sometimes flew with him.

I must warn everyone though that now that I’ve read the book I’m now an expert on German WW2 piloting. Be ready to debate ;)

I second Luftwaffe Eagle (awesome book if you want to get a perspective from on of the very best) and Stuka Pilot. 

Also Blonde knight of Germany, and A Pair of Aces (Graf and Grislawski), if you're lucky enough to find a copy.

Not quite the same but I have just started reading a fiction book called 'Daughters Of The Night Sky' based on the Night Witches.   I have only read one chapter so far so it may end up being more romance than action but it was free so I will try it.

https://www.amazon.com/Over-Fields-Fire-Sturmovik-Eastern/dp/1910294748

a must read for Eastern Front buffs

Daughters Of The Night Sky, fairly enjoyable, the author did fair amount of research, but no way she could convey some of the war/political/ideology/and qualities of the people (good and bad) to a degree u can get from Over Fields Of Fire...

Really? I am four or five chapters into 'Daughters Of The Night Sky' and had decided it was in fact  a romance novel.  She has not actually gone to the front yet so I daresay the fact he won't be there might tone down the romance and increase the action quota :-)

A big thank you to Luger who sent me some reading, you are a good man :)

I purchased Luftwaffe Fighter Ace (Hanning) and read it this weekend. What an amazing book and amazing guy. I loved how he had a dog on the front lines and sometimes flew with him.

I must warn everyone though that now that I’ve read the book I’m now an expert on German WW2 piloting. Be ready to debate ;)

Really intrigued by this book !!

Ordered

Edited by ITAF_Rani