Sound

Please we had a lots of talks in RoF in the Beta about sounds while flying, please no clicks no wood cracking sounds no gas pressure sounds..  Buffets winds sounds, winds, props, engine that about it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Please we had a lots of talks in RoF in the Beta about sounds while flying, please no clicks no wood cracking sounds no gas pressure sounds..  Buffets winds sounds, winds, props, engine that about it.

Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't agree.  While it might not be overly realistic to hear various sounds, it is one of the few ways for developers to convey action and movement that would normally be sensed in other ways.

• Upvote 1

Sounds? Engine, engine and engine, in that order.

Feel? Engine, guns, buffet/stall, dropping bombs/droptanks, bullet strike.

Assumptions: flying a closed cockpit fighter at combat speed.

What action and movement are you thinking needs to be cued via sounds?  The context here is "while flying."

Anything related to the aircraft really, some things, feelings (just ask my wife) can be incredibly subtle.  When I used to drive a tank for a living, horrible, unreliable, smelly, dirty things, I would drive with my head cocked to one side, my mouth slightly open (flying insects are a pain) , in a very Alexander the Great type of manner (just look at busts of him, he was slightly deaf).  Not because you could hear much above the engine or the whine of the tracks, but because you could sense subtle variations in sound or pitch or pull/twitch on the steering levers, a whole multitude of things that would tell you how the tank was feeling. Without hearing or feeling things directly it is possible to become very attuned to a machine and its rhythms, especially if you rely, or more importantly, your life depends on it.

It might not be possible to hear things like the gear transitioning or flaps moving, flying attitude or a whole host of things but that is not to say they can not be sensed by subtle variations that cannot be adequately conveyed to a sim pilot sitting in a chair in front of a monitor.  Strains on an airframe are possible a good example.  In an aircraft you know when you are pushing the limit when fast diving or pulling out of a dive etc, when you are asking both of the aircraft and possible your courage as much as they are willing to give  but in a sim you have no sense of that tension whatsoever unless it can be conveyed by the bag of tricks available to a developer. Music may not be a realistic backdrop to peoples lives but it works in the movies by scene setting, building tension, calm etc etc, and at it's best you don't even notice it.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible
  • 2 weeks later...

HagarTheHorrible For a Tank yes maybe but engine sounds and airflow sound caused by different sources are very different in RL  now you steal hear some variation of pitch but in no way you can hear the pumps, crackles, squirk sounds .. while flying .. i would prefer a a great work sounds quality and details of engine (rpm+props pitch settings variations) to hear every change you do in managing the engine in accordance with the atmospheric physics. Wind props and buffets are very very important.

I would say by experience that if you want to hear more what it is in an aircraft you should try not on a tank but get a load motorcycle got into the freeway (autoband) go fast !!! and listen the sounds around you wearing an helmet. You can hear some variation through your body too which is great but no crackels and squirk !

Edited by GOZR

I'd like to hear the gear and flaps more in the mix while the engine is on. Right now it's hard for me to hear them. I know it may not be realistic but since we cannot "feel" these effects sitting on a computer it would help know they are moving.

Well we do have indicators for gear position and flap position for both planes. If they model damage to those instruments, then it would be a disadvantage if you can't "feel" their movement to the degree you could in real life.

since we cannot "feel" these effects sitting on a computer

Isn't that what FFB is for? Maybe I've had my FFB stick for so long (15 years) that I am assuming everyone else has this as well!

FFB sticks are unrealistic in the way you can "feel" some plane effects.

In reality you can't feel the flaps/landing gear/ground bumps/guns etc in a plane stick.

You can only feel the forces applied to your ailerons/elevator.

For this matter, i prefer non FFB sticks, unless we could choose what effects are affecting the FFB...but it doesn't exist yet.

How many ways do software maker have to make a player aware of something important that's about to give up it's normal function.

You have visuals (engine heating up, smoke signals)

You have FFB, buffeting before stall

You have buttkicker (don't own one myself, but I guess one can "feel" the aircraft) it may have to be implemented, but who knows.

And there's sound. That's about it.

In a real life plane you have the whole aircraft vibrating around you and after some x number of flying hours you "know" how the crate is supposed to vibrate.

Your vision is a lot better compared to staring at 1, 3 or really big monitors and your life is on the line, giving you always that alertness that you do not need in a PC sim.

I agree with Hagar, I also agree with Fifi and GOZR. I do believe that sound (may it be a little unrealistic) will give you some clues. Maybe faint sounds, but something nonetheless so the flyer that is aware of his/her crate gets to hear (in stead of feel) the plane better. 

Just a thought. Interesting stuff.

How about squeaks and rattles as the aircraft rolls down the runway ? It might be an airliner passenger type of thing but it sort of strikes me as odd, that it isn't there, as I belt down the runway because I'm so used to it in real life.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

Funnily enough, there are squeaks and rattles on the runway (tested last night), but they only seem to kick in at a certain point, possibly touching brakes on the landing roll starts them, and aren't always present, it might be a bug or it might be because they are relegated in the sound engine because of other sounds being produced.