Sign in to follow this  
katdog5

Whoa.1080ti's prices have soared, almost doubled since December

1080ti trio was avail for around $800 in December. Now $1400 

Perhaps an indication of VR adoption or more likely late comers to the crypto currency hysteria? . Might want to hold off if you're in the market eh

Probably the supply and demand function at work.  :mellow: 

Yes blame the crypto miners.When it crashes the price will come down.

from micro center:

9kqkqq.png

Edited by katdog5

"Competitive pricing" means they use a tiny bit of vasoline before entry. You're still getting bent over.

Edited by Warpig
  • Upvote 3

Yes blame the crypto miners.When it crashes the price will come down.

No sign of that yet and not for the forseeable. 

We talked about this last night. Gamers are now not the priority for the likes of NVIDIA.............they have a whole new and extremely lucrative customer base. I'm glad I got in early for my modest 1070.

A couple weeks ago it was $10 a day with a 1080 TI but that isn't the case anymore. For the past week it's hovered around $5-6, minus electricity costs. Still, that's $150 USD per month per 1080 TI. The November/December bubble caused every hardcore miner out there to buy a ton of GPU's, that combined with the usual christmas upgrades for gamers caused basically everything better than a GTX 1050 (non-TI) to sell out at all retailers. I expect prices to drop back down in a couple weeks once shipments of new cards reach retailers.

I am not making any conclusions until the next generation of cards hits the market.

I hope things will settle down for the sake of PC gaming. However, I will not be surprised if graphics cards stay expensive for the foreseeable future.

As far as I can see, we are in the middle of a perfect storm. PC gaming is popular, VR needs high-end cards, and of course crypto.

Blame the Miners for bitcoin

Over here in aus the trade commission thingy is going to bring out a law forcing shops to give product priority to Gamers and not miners.
even Nvidia has made a plee to retailer world wide to stop selling to Filthy miners and sell to gamers.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-instructs-retailers-stop-selling-miners-sell-gamers/

Yes, the price surge is attributable to cypro-mining. With the net increase in value of both Bitcoin and Etherium (as well as other alt-coins), the return on investment of a mining rig is once again very attractive to that sector of customers. This has caused the price markups to soar. Even used 1070's are often priced well above their original MSRP on craigslist and ebay.

There are some potential ways around this issue. Microcenter is now advertising that if you bundle a new video card with other components (usually a CPU, memory, motherboard and power supply) and you then speak to a manager they will sell the video card at or near original MSRP. I've read on several gaming sites people doing this with various degrees of success. Sometimes they could even get this unadvertised "discount" simply by speaking with the store manager, other times they had to buy a full bundle of components in order to secure the new price. Sometimes it was somewhere in between. Every store and manager seemed to be different on how they were handling this so it appears they have some leeway to negotiate with consumers.

Some folks have said that Best Buy online was still selling some video cards at original MSRP but those go out of stock quickly although I think you can still order one and then it will ship once stock is replenished.

The bottom line is though that both manufacturers (AMD, Nvidia) as well as some merchandisers are aware of this issue and are beginning to take some small steps to help alleviate the problem. The profitability of crypto mining is not likely to drop off in the near future so hopefully new technologies like dedicated ASICs based mining rigs will eventually help to quell the influx of miners buying up the stock of dedicated gaming GPU's. Another possible outcome is a marketwide crash, which has occured in the past which lead to miner demand for GPU's to decline last summer. That decline, rebounded and a full crash now seems less and less likely as all of the price recent corrections (i.e. price drops) in alt-coins have usually rebounded and even though the market is currently down over 25% from its highs in late December, year to date some of the mineable coins are still showing increases of hundreds if not thousands of percent. With that huge of a surge, mining is going to remain profitable for a while to come.

Full disclosure, while I am active in alt-coin trading, i do not mine coins. I prefer to use my 1080ti to play games! :)

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt
  • Upvote 1

I use my 1080 TI to mine while I sleep and while I'm at work/school. Bought it for VR gaming, but since I have it, might as well make a little side cash off it. ;)

Anyways, I wouldn't count on ASIC's changing things anytime soon. One of the principle design goals of most of the alt coins is to make them ASIC miner resistant. The reason for this is to decentralize them, something bitcoin was supposed to do but failed miserably at thanks to ASIC's. The good news is the mining craze comes in cycles. As I've said many times before, once the current batch of GPU's gets out of the shipping containers and onto retail shelves (or the newegg warehouse), prices will drop back down to normal. What we currently have is a short term shortage due to Christmas and a mining bubble occurring at the same time. Bitcoin has lost about 40% of it's value over the last month as have many of the alt coins. Nobody with any sense is building mining rigs at the moment and once the new stock arrives, I don't expect it to sell out very quickly.

As for AMD/Nvidia stepping in, I wouldn't count on that too much. AMD makes far more money off their GPU's in the professional/AI/compute/mining sectors than they do off gamers. This is why their Vega line is basically purpose built for miners and AI while having somewhat lackluster gaming performance compared to their astonishingly good technical specs. AMD used to consistently beat Nvidia in gaming, but most gamers bought Nvidia cards regardless even though more expensive and inferior. Thus AMD now pursues non-gaming markets with their GPU's. It's the sensible choice for them, they make more money that way. Nvidia is also shifting towards compute as well. All indications are the upcoming Volta cards are going to be like Vega and put an emphasis on non-gaming performance. Both companies love miners. The reason we have the current shortage isn't because miners went to newegg and bought 200,000 GPU's last month, it's because those GPU's never got mailed to newegg in the first place. They rolled off the fabs in China, went to MSI/EVGA/ASUS... to get assembled and were then mailed directly by the shipping crate to mining companies. They never made it to a retailer.

Please remember folks it is not Nvidia or AMD pushing their MSRP up, they get the same price regardless of who purchases a GPU.  The current high prices are purely retailers milking for excessive profit.

The only benefit to Nvidia or AMD is that they sell as many GPUs as they can make.  The problem of course is they get the negative PR and not the price gouging retailers who are happy to push prices to 3x MSRP.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/cryptocurrency-mining-graphics-card-prices/

Edited by ICDP

Thank all the miners for messing with GPU prices. Hard to even find any GPU's right now. I admit I had an order in for 10 Vega 64's but AMD pushed back the date shipping new stock to retailers, so at the current moment, demand is much higher than supply. They have told most of the retailers that they need to put a 1 card limit per household restriction up so gamers can get their hands on cards, but its not doing much to stop people from buying multiple cards and shipping them to different PO boxes lol. 

I don't see the crypto market crashing anytime soon, even with the market looking like it does right now. Later this year when more alt coins make announcements, its only going to make it more difficult to get your hands on high end cards. 

I disagree, the December/January spike was just a spike. Things will settle down shortly. There was another spike back in June/July of last year too and I expect we'll see another spike sometime this year. But in the time between spikes, $230 RX 580 8GB, $240 GTX 1060 6GB and $720 GTX 1080 TI's will be what we have (until a new gen of GPU's comes). Vega cards will be out of stock forever, it seems AMD have effectively discontinued the RX Vega line and are now focusing Vega production on the 16GB professional/compute cards instead.

Edited by BeastyBaiter

In my region, availability is improving and prices seem to have stabilized or slightly fallen (depending on the GPU model). I also expect it to settle down. 

The launch of next-gen GPUs will be very interesting. I know that people will be apprehensive after the events of the last two months.