Con

Multiplayer needs fixing

When is multiplayer going to get a FACE LIFT or a fix .
To date its a pain joining servers and its just awful with a constant mouse click to join the most populated server .  

And only 80 people can fly on one server at a given time, we really should be up to 100 people  its 2018.

Servers are braking down with no messages saying so and what is happening  . There is no ping reading or player slot showing who is left or what slots are free .

We should of stayed with Hyperlobby / Hyperfighter this was a great tool for the community with 1000 players at weekends it was Easy to use ``one click and go this also would of kept some of the community that was still flying il-2 -1946 .

Please fix multiplayer ..!!!

Rant over .

Edit . 

Edited by II./JG77_Con
  • Upvote 4

2 clicks to join a server, one on the server listed and another on the join button.

Problem is more server stability and what is causing them to go down.  Also would be nice to have simple team voice comms built in as part of the server package.  Click the side you want to play with and you join their channel. 

TS is ok, but another program to run and not many use it.  Also the many language variations on one side make for less communication as a whole.  Time for us to man up and learn basic languages to fly together with. ))

It's on their post Kuban bigger picture list.

-          New MP matchmaking system and lobby with chat

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32254-announcing-battle-bodenplatte-flying-circus-tank-crew-and-mo/

Multiplayer does need some work. A lobby, a friends list, all sorts of wonderful ideas are possible. It's just a matter of time and the team had to make some big changes this year to shore up some other things. I can see the next year developing more on the multiplayer side. Don't forget Air Marshal and Co-op which should go at least a little of the way towards putting multiplayer on the radar.

A queue for joining servers and more stability for the server are less exciting tech issues but I think they will be on the todo list too.

These are large issues, but currently the single threaded dserver's ability to actually have AI on it without slowing the server to a crawl is another problem. Armor columns are usually stationary on multiplayer servers, and that's why. If BoX could support the same number of objects/aircraft/players as CLoD could, there'd be serious debate with us if we should switch over, but it can't so...

• Upvote 3

These are large issues, but currently the single threaded dserver's ability to actually have AI on it without slowing the server to a crawl is another problem. Armor columns are usually stationary on multiplayer servers, and that's why.

Yeah, can't get proper ground war going on with current dserver performance.

They've already said there are improvements coming after Kuban.

Hey, that's great. I had the same wishes for MP - the IL-2 series really lives of good MP servers IMHO. :salute:

Yep the dserver is what needs the love

Lobby chat etc great but should be part of a larger pass on mp servers and ai

Id take that over bodenplatte... but of course there's no money in that

• Upvote 1

I agree that MP still has some way to go to fully realise its potential.

But please for the love of all that is good and holy: Stop writing “should of” when you mean “should have”, it’s super obnoxious.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 5

I think it is a good idea to of stayed in hyperlobby.

Another great feature to promote communication is of built in radio.

I hate chewing up this game.but there are so many cons in SP and MP,and each time something bad was mentioned,there were always somebody jump up and tell you some internal news ......

Strange and interesting

Did Mr Williams not say that MP is only 10% of the player base? Not that I'm against MP improvements.

One thing I'm not so agreed with is that server capacity needs increasing, 40 a side allows for 4 x flights of 4 fighters, and 6 x flights of 4 bombers for example. This is plenty enough to have a meaningful engagement in my opinion. It just needs the players to use the capacity properly (avoid imbalance of sides and plane type)... a proper lobby feature could help achieve this, but not without people doing their bit. As Tip says, 'participation makes it happen'.

The problem is that there are some very popular servers out there which have long periods of downtime between campaigns. During prime EU evening time you are lucky to get a free slot. If the server is full, it tends to perform badly and frequently crashes or bugs out.

I think that the dserver could certainly use some love, as others have said the single core usage is a bottle neck on performance, particularly when you start introducing AI into the equation, server stability could be further improved, but as far as max players per server go, I'm not sure if this can be significantly improved. Net connections are only as good as the lowest common denominator, and the more players you have the more data you have to transfer about every player, to every other player. There comes a point where it is simply saturated, either in terms of network traffic, or cpu utilisation on the server.

I totally agree with you, current multi-player search sucks, it is slow, never show the ping instantly, is always sloooowwww, some servers randomly kick you without reason 1,2,3 times. Hyperlobby was good, but at this time we should not rely on third party software

• Upvote 1

Net connections are only as good as the lowest common denominator, and the more players you have the more data you have to transfer about every player, to every other player.

Proper netcode doesn't sync everything with everyone.

• Upvote 1

But 100 or more must already be possible to day.........if we are a big group, not everyone can join in as the servers are full.

Hope very much that it will change soon.

Only MP can reveal your pilot skills!

I think MP base will increase largely with ww2 "superstars" (BoBp planeset) being released.

There is already noticable increase of pilots online lately and i'm sure it will grow exponentionaly as sim evolves.

Build it and they will come ;P

• Upvote 1

Server size is fine for me (better to have more smaller servers instead of a few super big ones IMO), Netcode and Dserver performance are the issues. The problem is known though, I think it'll get some love in this dev cycle.

Well, for me it's good enough when they say, they will look into it.

How to do it - they will surely know, or find competent people for.

I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it...

We need a way to host from our own machines on the fly when we want to throw up a server for some quick fun, and we need a streamlined mission editor so that more people can make their own missions.

These two things will increase server numbers and population of online participants.

What we have online now is just the most hardcore group of players and mission makers, which is great, but there are many more of us that want, really want, to get online again, but are stopped by either the roadblock of having to have a dedicated server, or just not wanting to come to grips with what really is the developer's map making tool in place of a proper mission making tool.

Times are very different now, and most of the crowd that once had hours to put into the "creative" side (mission making, skins, etc...) just don't have that luxury any more, and like me, just don't have the time or

understanding it takes to learn the map making tool.   This needs to change or online will remain the low participation, red headed step child of this title.

• Upvote 3

We need a way to host from our own machines on the fly when we want to throw up a server for some quick fun, and we need a streamlined mission editor so that more people can make their own missions.

These two things will increase server numbers and population of online participants.

What we have online now is just the most hardcore group of players and mission makers, which is great, but there are many more of us that want, really want, to get online again, but are stopped by either the roadblock of having to have a dedicated server, or just not wanting to come to grips with what really is the developer's map making tool in place of a proper mission making tool.

Times are very different now, and most of the crowd that once had hours to put into the "creative" side (mission making, skins, etc...) just don't have that luxury any more, and like me, just don't have the time or

understanding it takes to learn the map making tool.   This needs to change or online will remain the low participation, red headed step child of this title.

Well lets not forget that CO - OP is coming with the release of Kuban, so this should address some of the points you have made.

Well lets not forget that CO - OP is coming with the release of Kuban, so this should address some of the points you have made.

Considering that, with coop hosting, your computer has to bear the load of being a server and yourself flying as a client, I have my concerns on the performance. If it's just you and a couple of your friends, it might not be an issue, but anything more than that... Well, we'll see soon enough :)

Edited by LLv34_Temuri

Considering that with coop hosting, your computer has to bear the load of being a server and yourself flying as a client, I have my concerns on the performance. If it's just you and a couple of your friends, it might not be an issue, but anything more than that... Well, we'll see soon enough :)

I seem to remember Jason saying in his last Teamspeak Q&A something about he wanted to see how we got on with co-op. If I understood correctly it was because the Dserver is quite old, and the original programmer isn't even with the team anymore. Where as the CO -OP netcode presumably is quite new and better understood. So depending on how it performs, lessons can be learned for improving the dserver. 

I might have got that all wrong though, but that is the way I understood it.

I think some MP players are influenced by what I'll call "The CloD Phenomenon" in which there is (or was - it's been a long time) one server that most MP players default to, with another major (more squdron-oriented) server up on certain days of the week. But the fact is, in theory anyone can host (as they could in CloD too). If you don't like server settings or planesets, put up your own server! It can't be difficult to get missions, since we all download a copy of each mission when we join an online server, and these - with the relevant permissions! - would be easy to tweak and individualize.

I very much hope we'll eventually get an HL situation, with all sizes and shapes of servers, DF and coop, bubbling around most evenings.

We need a way to host from our own machines on the fly ...

We can now. It's a bit convoluted, and you have to run the DServer program alongside your il2.exe, but it's perfectly doable. (Hopefully, though, it'll evolve into something more intuitive soon!)

As I understand, you can, at the moment generate/save a mission from PWCG and with minimal work change to playable co-op

with the big changes to new campaign (possibility to 'save' missions?) and an official Co-op mode things may change for the better in this respect as far as needing deep ME knowledge to do quick Co-op's

Cheers, Dakpilot

Getting really excited for coop to be honest. If only I had friends to fly with....

Considering the way they plan to position the game in the future (Tank Crew and such), they would be crazy NOT to invest development into improving the dserver performance. Tank Crew and the classical flight sim are made one for the other, it literally BEGS for a fully capable battlefield simulation on one server. So I'm pretty certain they have this on their radar but I guess the when is a different story.

BOS + TC could end up being the "next step up" for many of the warthunder/world of tanks players who want to dip their toes into "proper" simulations. An appealing scenario setup with a dynamic front and progress tracking, all in a big theater would be like honey to ants.

• Upvote 4

Considering the way they plan to position the game in the future (Tank Crew and such), they would be crazy NOT to invest development into improving the dserver performance. Tank Crew and the classical flight sim are made one for the other, it literally BEGS for a fully capable battlefield simulation on one server. So I'm pretty certain they have this on their radar but I guess the when is a different story.

BOS + TC could end up being the "next step up" for many of the warthunder/world of tanks players who want to dip their toes into "proper" simulations. An appealing scenario setup with a dynamic front and progress tracking, all in a big theater would be like honey to ants.

I dream of having this :)

Getting really excited for coop to be honest. If only I had friends to fly with....

If the mp development goes the way it should go (I`m not saying it`s easy or simple), you won`t need any. With say 500 people sitting idle in the chat, a generic coop should be able to go one after another, with full player cast. The rest is up to host to introduce a briefing that makes separate people work with each other.

This.

Plenty of people waiting for BoX to get a proper mp setup, including me. As of now however, other games are simpler, easier and quicker in going into a very good mp experience. It is a must since most of us simmers are old farts with work and families, hence too little time to be bothered with the technical side of things.

• Upvote 1

Indeed! It sounds like a great potential future for the series and to hopefully bring in some new players too. The fundamentals are already there as things are now so its a matter of adding necessary features and more content.

Yes, mission creation should be simpler.

The user scripted campaign and sp/mp are pretty much dead now.

Small grp of mission makers can say whatever about how powerful mission editor is.

Nobody makes them now because one cannot bother.

• Upvote 1

Yes, mission creation should be simpler.

The user scripted campaign and sp/mp are pretty much dead now.

Small grp of mission makers can say whatever about how powerful mission editor is.

Nobody makes them now because one cannot bother.

Let's not exaggerate to make an otherwise good point. We've got a dozen scripted campaigns that have come out, many of them in recent months, and that number is only going to increase. More importantly, they have all been well done efforts and enjoyable to play. It's not dead.

Multiplayer servers seem to have no shortage of scenarios working either. And IMHO, multiplayer maps are relatively easy to put together compared to the single player experience.

Yes, the mission maker is very difficult to use (I'm learning it right now - its hard) and you make an excellent point that some sort of simplification would be helpful. I can see how some sort of intermediary could be programmed in to do a lot of the things automatically that the mission maker currently has to do manually (or create template groups to sort out). I do hope that maybe such a thing might come later on.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

I think that even once the new version of MP hosting comes out there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks around. I would love to be wrong, but I suspect that there will still only be limited numbers able to connect to any single instance and those that long for the old days of hundreds of people on a single server will still be left unsatisfied.

Personally I've quite enjoyed using the current version of the FMB along with all the quirks it has. Once you get a hang of the basics of where certain parameters can be find and have downloaded or created some template groups then it really can be as easy as open the blank map, add a few plane groups, adjust their course and speed, add some flak if you want, add a player spawn point and away Bombay. Obviously that is a very simple representation and doesn't take into account front lines, etc, but I'm sure you get my point.

Whatever else happens I sincerely hope that they don't take away this fantastic tool just because some folks don't want to or can't engage with it.

Hey, Finkeren, you are a known landmark here! I bet you could have "tons of friends" to fly with, if you just asked here!

If you speak English, that is. With only Danish, you might be a bit more limited... :unsure:

Edited by Wolfram-Harms
  • Upvote 1

As a flight sim newbie who is just starting to get comfortable enough with a plane to maybe hop into some multiplayer, my opinion on why the multiplayer numbers are on the low side and typically are filled by the more hardcore simmers is the same as what I suspect the reason is as to why flight sims in general aren't A LOT more popular - it's very daunting for a newcomer to learn how to go about any of it. There is very little built into the game to actually familiarize a would-be pilot with a plane or the act of flying, let alone getting more into any of the details. Getting into flight sims requires a major investment into learning how to go about it all, with almost zero help provided in-game. Even simple things like having a labeled diagram of the cockpit in your own localized language is missing, let alone familiarizing a new pilot with how to use any of what is present in the cockpit. A lot could be done to make the learning curve less steep and more guided, rather than leaving it up to someone to do a ton and a half of research in their free time. I personally have enjoyed the challenge, and thanks to the community have learned a ton. Others are likely not going to stick with it, and will opt for something they can just hop in and have some fun with whatever limited time they have to devote to game playing. Life just has too many obligations and distractions. Simple guided tour missions and video clips would go a long, long way. The community has put a ton of things out there that really should be somehow incorporated or linked to the game. That would help retain a lot more people that try it out.

I suspect a lot of people give it a try and then quickly get overwhelmed and give it up. That is a real shame, because now that I am getting my head wrapped around it and have a HOTAS and TrackIR set up pretty nicely it is pretty amazing, and I have only scratched the surface.

I'm looking forward to what is coming, see some of you guys in the lobbies-to-come and in the air (likely followed by spilling to the ground)

Edited by Eclipse4349
  • Upvote 1

As a flight sim newbie who is just starting to get comfortable enough with a plane to maybe hop into some multiplayer, my opinion on why the multiplayer numbers are on the low side and typically are filled by the more hardcore simmers is the same as what I suspect the reason is as to why flight sims in general aren't A LOT more popular - it's very daunting for a newcomer to learn how to go about any of it. There is very little built into the game to actually familiarize a would-be pilot with a plane or the act of flying, let alone getting more into any of the details. Getting into flight sims requires a major investment into learning how to go about it all, with almost zero help provided in-game. Even simple things like having a labeled diagram of the cockpit in your own localized language is missing, let alone familiarizing a new pilot with how to use any of what is present in the cockpit. A lot could be done to make the learning curve less steep and more guided, rather than leaving it up to someone to do a ton and a half of research in their free time. I personally have enjoyed the challenge, and thanks to the community have learned a ton. Others are likely not going to stick with it, and will opt for something they can just hop in and have some fun with whatever limited time they have to devote to game playing. Life just has too many obligations and distractions. Simple guided tour missions and video clips would go a long, long way. The community has put a ton of things out there that really should be somehow incorporated or linked to the game. That would help retain a lot more people that try it out.

I suspect a lot of people give it a try and then quickly get overwhelmed and give it up. That is a real shame, because now that I am getting my head wrapped around it and have a HOTAS and TrackIR set up pretty nicely it is pretty amazing, and I have only scratched the surface.

I'm looking forward to what is coming, see some of you guys in the lobbies-to-come and in the air (likely followed by spilling to the ground)

This is slightly off the topic,I think it still worth discussing

1.as discussed before in my post,devs thought an ingame ,fully interactive tutorial cost too many ,they would rather throw it to community.(check the video of YouTube) or crash100 times for taking off.

2.the market stratgey is box is to absorb some online Mmo players (like war thunder) these players learned basics ,and wish to become hardcore .and they always pay .so there is no need to investe to game tutorials.

3.two sweaters? an good idea for players training themselves,i suggest a two seat yak7,but then the post was thrown out an unknown sub forum.

This is slightly off the topic,I think it still worth discussing

1.as discussed before in my post,devs thought an ingame ,fully interactive tutorial cost too many ,they would rather throw it to community.(check the video of YouTube) or crash100 times for taking off.

2.the market stratgey is box is to absorb some online Mmo players (like war thunder) these players learned basics ,and wish to become hardcore .and they always pay .so there is no need to investe to game tutorials.

3.two sweaters? an good idea for players training themselves,i suggest a two seat yak7,but then the post was thrown out an unknown sub forum.

There are players willing to train other players. The lack of integrated in game voice comms makes it really HARD. I recently bought the game Squad and they do it right. In the game people are in channel and can walk you through everything immediately. No screwing around getting set up with a Teamspeak or Discord client, the game is built around voice comms and local squad channels (squad leaders can lock squad membership and boot idiots). If anyone from the dev team is reading, get the game and see a prime example of multiplayer done RIGHT with an awesome queue system for joining games.

Yeah, I do understand it is a niche market and they have to make tough decisions on how to spend their limited development funding. But there are a lot of small, very low cost things that could be done that would go a long, long way for a newbie. The foundation is there, and the improvements that have been made since I first loaded BOS are impressive and very much appreciated. A little more fleshing out would help new pilots a lot. For example, maybe making a Hangar section off the main menu where one could find things like labeled cockpits and some details and photos of each aircraft's features, takeoff and landing guidelines (flaps? Prop rpm? Other useful tips for this plane, like how the braking system works? ), and some info on operational characteristics and limits, etc. Very low cost, but it would cut down on the hunting for information from community members. The manual has some nice info... But there is no mention of it! It should be linked or at least spoken of somewhere in-game. Most games these days have no manual so a lot of people may not think to search the internet for one.

Some of the technical info like stall speeds, glideslope and landing speeds, water and oil temp limits, etc is found in the technical info when getting ready to start a mission, but it can go unnoticed (it went unnoticed by me for a bit, NOT helpful for my flight capabilities! Lol). Building some on that and making it harder to miss, in a convenient menu section available from inside the game would give a new pilot everything needed to have a functional knowledge of each plane and at least feel some level of confidence that they aren't just completely lost. There are a lot of simple, easy, very low cost things that could make the difference between retaining a new pilot or overwhelming and losing him or her, possibly forever. I speak from experience, because I almost gave up on it myself. I'm glad I didn't. But how many did?  I just wanted to pass this suggestion on, based on my own recent-ish experience.  

At least the community is amazing and very helpful. Another round of kudos to everyone who has put in the time and effort to answer questions and to produce some really fantastic materials.

Edited by Eclipse4349