Smiley_ie

Stutter or vsync problem ?

OK well, I do notice tearing when it occurs (I used to when I had my old non G-Sync monitor, so enabled V-Sync to eliminate it) but I don't get any when I enable G-Sync and keep V-sync disabled.

I don't see the benefit of locking my refresh rate when G-sync is adaptive refresh rate.

Edited by Extreme_One

G-sync tech is not rocket science and average gaming enthusiast know how to use it, but still this tech is not supported by Bos.

G-sync tech is not rocket science and average gaming enthusiast know how to use it, but still this tech is not supported by Bos.

The game doesn't need to support it.

It's nothing whatsoever to do with the game engine.

As does Freesync and Adaptive V-Sync, G-Sync runs completely independently of all game engines.

You're a tester, why not ask Han if his game "supports G-Sync"? lol!

Edited by Extreme_One

The game doesn't need to support it.

It's nothing whatsoever to do with the game engine.

As does Freesync and Adaptive V-Sync, G-Sync runs completely independently of all game engines.

You're a tester, why not ask Han if his game "supports G-Sync"? lol!

I had feeling that it wont be easy when I post about g-sync, this because I was in the same  belief
 as you guys.
Thanks Extreme One - you guess it right that is why I insist about that statement.

Tomcat, my tone is absolutely polite, you propably confuse G sync with something else.

Gsync is hardware, it doesn’t have anything to do with software. That’s why there is NO list of supported or unsupported games anywhere.

Tomcat, my tone is absolutely polite, you propably confuse G sync with something else.

Gsync is hardware, it doesn’t have anything to do with software. That’s why there is NO list of supported or unsupported games anywhere.

Yes I know how it works lol , but when you get it from product owner that it is not working, well all can be wrong ;) Btw did you measure fps and monitor hz at the same time?

OK well, I do notice tearing when it occurs (I used to when I had my old non G-Sync monitor, so enabled V-Sync to eliminate it) but I don't get any when I enable G-Sync and keep V-sync disabled.

I don't see the benefit of locking my refresh rate when G-sync is adaptive refresh rate.

What's funny is that you are the one making fun about other's understanding of G-Sync...

Makes me laugh when people spend an not inconsiderable amount extra to buy a G-Sync monitor without really understanding how to use it.

...while at the same time you are the one who shows a lack of understanding how it works.

Let me shed a light on this:

Enabling V-Sync does not lock the Frame Rate within it's range. It does not incur any input lag either.

With G-Sync and V-Sync off you get tearing all over the place. I think we all agree on that - at least I hope so.

With G-Sync on and V-Sync off, this is what you get:

• Within it's range, G-Sync will disable most of the visible tearing.

However, with disabling V-Sync you also disable G-Sync's frametime variances compensation.

As a result, you get tearing when frame times suddenly vary a lot, plus you get tearing at the bottom of the display in the upper FPS range plus in the lower FPS range (<36), frametime spikes can occur which will inflict tearing all over the screen.

You simply won't want that, neither of it.

• Outside it's range, G-Sync will automatically be disabled.

Since in this setting you have V-Sync disabled too, you will therefore get tearing all across the screen when frametimes exceed the G-Sync range.

With G-Sync and V-Sync on, this is what you get:

• Within it's range, G-Sync will disable all tearing.

This is because G-Sync's frametime variances compensation is active now (V-Sync is on).

The frametime variances compensation avoids tearing when frame times suddenly vary a lot, plus it avoids tearing at the bottom of the display in the upper FPS range plus it avoids tearing in the lower FPS range (<36), where otherwise frametime spikes would occur which would inflict tearing all over the screen.

This is what you will want.

• Outside it's range, G-Sync will automatically be disabled and the Frame Rates will be locked to the lower/upper limits, e.g. to 144FPS.

You might say that this is bad, but it isn't. Remember: You only revert to V-Sync mode when G-Sync range is exceeded.

Frametime compensation with V-SYNC “On” is performed during the vertical blanking interval (the span between the previous and next frame scan), and, as such, does not delay single frame delivery within the G-SYNC range and is recommended for a tear-free experience.

You must understand that when you turn on G-Sync, the meaning of the V-Sync setting is not the old one you used to know. It much more turns into a "frametime variances compensation" setting, and this is something you will definitely not want to miss.

Some relevant links for those who are interested:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3441

Cheers!

Mike

With G-Sync and V-Sync off you get tearing all over the place. I think we all agree on that - at least I hope so.

Well, on my rig, with G-Sync on and V-Sync OFF I do not get tearing.

At all.

And if I did I would notice it, as I used to have to enable V-Sync to eliminate it on my old monitor.

I don't really care the reason, that's how it works on my rig, on all the games I've tested, including this one.

I guess I'm just lucky.

I had feeling that it wont be easy when I post about g-sync, this because I was in the same  belief

as you guys.

Thanks Extreme One - you guess it right that is why I insist about that statement.

So have you asked Han yet? Alternatively, have you found any list anywhere of games that don't "support G-Sync" ?

Or, do you suppose this game is the only game out of all the hundreds of thousands that doesn't "support G-Sync" ?

lol

Well, on my rig, with G-Sync on and V-Sync OFF I do not get tearing.

At all.

And if I did I would notice it, as I used to have to enable V-Sync to eliminate it on my old monitor.

I don't really care the reason, that's how it works on my rig, on all the games I've tested, including this one.

This would mean your last driver update was back in 2015, because that was when V-Sync became optional.

Forgive me when I say

enr_Un6b.png

Cheers!

Mike

Limiting FPS ingame certainly smoothed things out drastically as long as FPS stays at the cap. Once it drops below small stutters are noticable again.

I selected 80 FPS which seems to be the sweetspot for my setup. (that is with G-sync)

As you can see from the link I've posted earlier...
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3441
...limiting FPS ingame slightly below the G-Sync range's top end is the preferred and most recommended setting.
It avoids touching the G-Sync boundaries and usually comes with no input lag (compared to Nvidia Control Panel FPS limiter, which gives 1-2 frames input lag).
Unfortunately IL-2 Great Battles has rather coarse FPS limit settings and most of them don't fall within the optimum distance to common G-Sync boundaries.
For instance, with common G-Sync max. rates of 60, 144 and 165 (OC'ed) FPS, ingame limits of 56, 58, 140, 142, 161 and 163 would fit perfectly, but we have none of these.

I guess my system just runs all my games, with the settings I choose, at optimal levels within G-Sync range.

Quite possible. You still risk facing tearing at the bottom of your screen when frametime variances become too heavy.

The key message you need to understand is this: Enabling V-Sync doesn't hurt. Disabling might though.

Cheers!
Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
  • Upvote 1

You can manually set fps limit in BOS config file. bTw Some gsync users prefer to turn vsync off because supposedly noticable input lag when fps hit monitor refresh rate limit.

Thanks for the config file hint, will give it a try.

Concerning input lag with VSync, I somehow get that input lack matters much for first person shooters and tearing comes second, but in the CFS genre it feels odd when someone accepts tearing just to avoid a possible 7ms input lag.

Cheers!

Mike

I see a lot of misunderstanding here, stuttering can be caused by V-sync, Driver, HDD

V-Sync: Will cause stutter if the FPS drops below 30 FPS, most of the time V-Sync is useless to me, thats why I invested into G-Sync Monitor and all its gone from this point.

Driver: Sometimes drivers can be causing this, check if all drivers are up to date.

HDD: Believe it or not HDD lags the games, because the I/O operation kills mechanicals drivers. Solution? move the game into a SSD or buy a SSD.

V-Sync: Will cause stutter if the FPS drops below 30 FPS, most of the time V-Sync is useless to me, thats why I invested into G-Sync Monitor and all its gone from this point.

V-Sync stutter below 30FPS is true for non-G-Sync monitors.

It must be stressed though that when you have a G-Sync monitor, you should enable V-Sync nevertheless. It will not cause stutter below 30FPS (because the sync will take place in scanouts and G-Sync will start to double frame rates), but it will avoid tearing.

If you have no G-Sync Monitor, it's best to use Fast Sync if your GPU supports it.

If you have no G-Sync Monitor and your GPU does not support Fast Sync, you should still use V-Sync (otherwise you get tearing all across the space) and rather reduce ingame settings in order to maintain 60FPS most of the time.

Cheers!

Mike

V-Sync stutter below 30FPS is true for non-G-Sync monitors.

It must be stressed though that when you have a G-Sync monitor, you should enable V-Sync nevertheless. It will not cause stutter below 30FPS (because the sync will take place in scanouts and G-Sync will start to double frame rates), but it will avoid tearing.

If you have no G-Sync Monitor, it's best to use Fast Sync if your GPU supports it.

If you have no G-Sync Monitor and your GPU does not support Fast Sync, you should still use V-Sync (otherwise you get tearing all across the space) and rather reduce ingame settings in order to maintain 60FPS most of the time.

Cheers!

Mike

In that case, it is better to use the in game frame limiter

In that case, it is better to use the in game frame limiter

...which gets you horrible tearing again if you don't have a G-Sync monitor.

And if you do, you should enable V-Sync nevertheless, this has been stressed more than enough now me thinks.

Cheers!

Mike

I've been fighting the microstutter myself. I've tried essentially every combination of setting in IL-2 and in the nVidia settings and I can't figure it out. The frame rate seems to be connected to but not ultimately the culprit for it as I can set the game to low and I can see that the frame rate is up a fair bit but the stutter is still there.

It gets magnified online when lots of aircraft are around. That's especially weird for me.

Not all objects stutter either. An aircraft centered on the camera is fine while types that are in the distance or the landscape microstutters. I suspect some people may have this and not notice it while it drives others nuts.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:13 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

I've been fighting the microstutter myself. I've tried essentially every combination of setting in IL-2 and in the nVidia settings and I can't figure it out. The frame rate seems to be connected to but not ultimately the culprit for it as I can set the game to low and I can see that the frame rate is up a fair bit but the stutter is still there.

It gets magnified online when lots of aircraft are around. That's especially weird for me.

Not all objects stutter either. An aircraft centered on the camera is fine while types that are in the distance or the landscape microstutters. I suspect some people may have this and not notice it while it drives others nuts.[

I used to have a microstudder no matter what my framerate was.  At 60fps the ground would look like a stop motion movie.  I fixed it my changing the "texture quality" setting in Nvidia control panel to High Performance.

1 hour ago, Wedgewood said:

I used to have a microstudder no matter what my framerate was.  At 60fps the ground would look like a stop motion movie.  I fixed it my changing the "texture quality" setting in Nvidia control panel to High Performance.

I'll give it a try!

I've tried everything aside from that. I can run at low detail with high fps (90+ average) and the ground in particular still stuttering along. Let you know what happens!

hi all hi Smiley ie

for the stutters,   i got suggestions you may want to try

SILK Smoothness and maximum pre-render frames

there is a  setting in the (other) tab (SILK Smoothness ) in nvidia inspector that may help for stutter , since i dont have stutter i dont know how good it can be.

it look like the triple buffering for openGL  to me... maybe you can try it, i got it set  to 1=low

found the description on overclock.net

SILK Smoothness
Silk reduces stutters in games caused by variable CPU or GPU workloads by smoothing out animation and presentation cadence using animation prediction and post render smoothing buffer.
• Off – Silk is disabled.
• Low – Moderate smoothing is enabled and most microstutter is eliminated.
• Medium – Many stutters and hitches are removed in typical games.
• High – More smoothing is applied and may result in observable input lag.
• Ultra – Maximum smoothing is applied and most stutters and hitches in games are eliminated. Lag may be unacceptable in some games.

***option choices are:  0x00000000=off  0x00000001=low  0x00000002=medium  0x00000003=high 0x00000004=ultra

also...

i m not expert at all, but i know lower maximum pre-render frames ( FlipQueueSize  for AMD) dont help to prevent stutter it s the opposite,  low value can add stutter, can even make lower fps and  high value can  add input lag so try to adjust pre-Render frames higher ,  tweakguides.com recommend to set it to 4 to get higher performance and smoother gameplay ,and  reduce it if you got input latency (slow control responses, from joystick ,keyboard , mouse, trackir ...)   

good luck to fix the problem

my apologies for my English mistakes, i do my best :)

stutter.png

• Upvote 1

Being away for a while, Will give it a go Lemon Cheers also just updating with new patch hopefully its fixed?

UPDATE : Tried new patch still a stutter mesh & tried the above SILK Smoothness no matter what one i still stutters. 

Edited by Smiley_ie

I have the exact problem as OP, this isn't stuttering issue, the game does not stutter at all, but the external cam mode (F2) stutters badly!

@Smiley_ie We have the same issue, try pressing F4, and then click right-mouse button and move the cam around, it would probably be smooth as butter.

I am sure this problem is a common thing, or maybe everyone have this issue but not all are sensitive and realize it, devs please fix this F2 CAM stuttering!