Sign in to follow this  
OrLoK

Have we heard anything about cockpit texture modding recently?

Hello there

A while ago it was mentioned that possibly limited modding would arrive and that one unlocked area would be cockpit textures.

Is this still on the cards after the reshuffle of the proposed DLCs?

I love my customisation options even if others cannot view them.

Rgds

LoK

Please yes, the current textures and look of cockpit are horrible, not much better than the old IL-2 (cockpit modded), are cockpits resolution at 4k textures? cockpit should have brutal definition, is where you spent most of the time flying

I definitely wouldn't say they are horrible, I think they're good :) , rather Id like to be able to customise them myself, ie customise dials, translate languages etc.

I think with the upgrade to the in-cockpit shadows, I can live without 4K cockpit textures for now. Wouldn’t mind a mod though :)

Please yes, the current textures and look of cockpit are horrible, not much better than the old IL-2 (cockpit modded), are cockpits resolution at 4k textures? cockpit should have brutal definition, is where you spent most of the time flying

What are you kidding me we have the best cockpit textures around. Not much better then the old IL2 is a slap in the face.Really dude

• Upvote 4

What are you kidding me we have the best cockpit textures around. Not much better then the old IL2 is a slap in the face.Really dude

The fact that we have better textures than other games doesn't mean they are good, surfaces still look bad, and textures need an upgrade and I play the game at full settings@120fps

Did Butcher have another username....a certain mr fries?!

Nope, this is my name since 2005

Edited by SJ_Butcher

In general, Il-2 cockpit textures are excellent. However, there are spots with illegible text and patterns of low-res fasteners. The overall effect is very good, but there is some room for improvement.

The old Il-2 had some amazing modded cockpits. I don’t think I’d say that they were better, but they did show that nice things can be done with mods.

Regardng cockpit and other textures they can be increase past maximum settings available in the game options menu to make them looks a bit better.
(this tweak im currently not sharing as im still testing the fps impact, also many on the forum don't deserve to know it after recent personal attacks)

in terms of resolution they are very nice @ 2K already
the glass reflection and lighting is done well and looks even better with Reshade turned on

Edited by =TBAS=OccludedLight14

i'm perfectly fine with cockpits as they are now, but option to add picture inside cockpit would be lovely!

I have a question about the realism of the weathering.  Right now the cockpits look very much used with chipped paint, dirt, and even some rust.  While cockpit from an airplane built in the 40s would certainly look like that today, did they really look that beat up in the 40s?  Most of the planes would not have been very old.

I have a question about the realism of the weathering.  Right now the cockpits look very much used with chipped paint, dirt, and even some rust.  While cockpit from an airplane built in the 40s would certainly look like that today, did they really look that beat up in the 40s?  Most of the planes would not have been very old.

This is an interesting one.

Many "well loved" modern cockpits also look chipped/scratched and worn, It depends on the usage and the location I suppose.

In an ideal world we'd have textures for old beloved workhorses and textures for new replacements/hot from the factory.

Pat, It's the other way around. It's not about the age, but about how the hardware is used. Restored warbirds are relatively squeaky clean, cared for and well maintained, including cockpits (not to mention that most of them are rebuilds with either new pits, or repainted ones anyway, the only vintage stuff being instruments and some switches).

In wartime conditions, especially on roughest frontlines (Pacific, Africa) nobody had time for that. I wish I saved the photo of RAF Kittyhawk pit taken on the desert, which was posted on the yellow forum years ago, but can't find it now. Long story short, the pit looked like a worn out, messy dump, though the appearance was probably worse because of B&W.

75th RAAF Sqn pilots taking off from Moresby used to take an extra pair of boots to deal with tropical desease-related diarrhea in-flight. Can you imagine anyone doing something like that in multi-million $$ warbird today? I don't mean wartime pits were covered with crap, but harsh frontline reality shifted attention to more important things than keeping the paint intact. The planes were considered expendable anyway. Systems had to work flawlessly, but not much beyond that.

You need to see the interiors in VR before you really understand how well done they are. The level of fine detail is amazing!

• Upvote 1

You need to see the interiors in VR before you really understand how well done they are. The level of fine detail is amazing!

agreed!

But they could use a tweak here or there to assist us VR users.

Mods On mode has been announced so it should be possible. Question is if we getting acess to the cockpit texture files for editing (similar to the specular maps).

Mods On mode has been announced so it should be possible. Question is if we getting acess to the cockpit texture files for editing (similar to the specular maps).

Aren't custom skins already banned in MP because people were able to exploit it? As much as I'd love mods, it kind of scares me since people have already been known to not have a life to the extent of exploiting a flight simulator.

I wouldn't worry too much about that Silky, since anyone using mods on will only be able to play on servers with mods on enabled or with other users in coop with mods on enabled.

That's the way it worked with RoF at least.

Aren't custom skins already banned in MP because people were able to exploit it? As much as I'd love mods, it kind of scares me since people have already been known to not have a life to the extent of exploiting a flight simulator.

1. Only few servers restrict the use of custom skins (namely WoL).

2. The fact that skins uploaded and posted on the forum can be modified and used for other purposes should be well known. The sytsem ingame works by file name recognition so it doesn't check for content. If you want to prevent anybody from modifying your custom skin for cheating purpose simply upload it under a different name than the one in your game client.

If you're not using publicly distributed user skins you're not affected by such attempts of cheating. That's one reason why we don't share our squadrom skins for example.

Back on topic, mods on mode does not work like custom skins and therefore requires different treatment. Once enabled the game will accept exchanged files and permit their use in MP. No other user will see what you see if you for example change your cockpit texture to suit your preferrence.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

WOL do not allow custom skins on their server, I believe this was because some "individuals" were making bright (very visible)  skins and naming them as the skins that some had downloaded in the forums. This would mean that their opponents who had maybe downloaded a cool 190 skin could be flying around with a bright orange skin. The simple solution to this "hack" is to just rename your own custom skins and those downloaded from the forum. 

I think the current interiors are perfectly fine but 'm all in favour of 4K textures, but of course one thing to bare in mind is you would most likely suffer a performance hit if you are using interior and exterior 4K textures.

Edit: What 5tuka said, he beat me to it.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard

Back on topic, mods on mode does not work like custom skins and therefore requires different treatment. Once enabled the game will accept exchanged files and permit their use in MP. No other user will see what you see if you for example change your cockpit texture to suit your preferrence.

Silky's point for cheating is that people could alter the graphics files or layers so that they render invisible, thereby giving a wonder woman view.

However, since mods can only work with mods enabled servers then just look for mods disabled servers since then everyone will be on the same base game.

Also mods for MP is a problem since everyone has to have the same mods to play on the same server or coop.

Seeing as 90% of Il-2 customers are singleplayers, I'd rather not have that side of the game unesessarily penalised by the need to police the bad conduct of certain MP players.

• Upvote 1

It won't be penalized? It will have mods-on or mods-off. Mods-on, you can mod what is allowed to be modded. Mods-off, no mods.

Silky's point for cheating is that people could alter the graphics files or layers so that they render invisible, thereby giving a wonder woman view.

However, since mods can only work with mods enabled servers then just look for mods disabled servers since then everyone will be on the same base game.

Also mods for MP is a problem since everyone has to have the same mods to play on the same server or coop.

Doesnt work because you'd still be blocked by the internals of the fuselage. Sometimes it helps to check how things work before spreadig fear based on wild imagination. Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

It's time that the resolution for the official skins and cockpits be upgraded for at least the upcoming Bodenplatte aircraft.

Official option for 4k/2K aircraft skins has already been announced for future

Am all for increasing resolution for cockpits, but one has to be careful, the need for decent performance for most systems/players is critical, in other 'combat flight sims' high res cockpits have led to performance issues even with high end machine on certain modules, (only read about this, so no personal experience)

Although it would be great to have high(er) res cockpits for Bodenplatte A/C (if no significant performance hit) however it would leave me very sad when I got into an 'earlier' low res cockpit

In my (unimportant) opinion, there needs to be cohesion of quality across the whole series, something Dev's are trying to do with maps as newer ones are released, in earlier IL-2 series the quality between early and later release models and maps could be quite jarring, and is something I feel important to be avoided, to an extent mods helped with this enormously (thanks modders!) but there are also many downsides

A full official texture upgrade to all aircraft would be great to keep the series at the head of the field, but I fear it may be a huge amount of work

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

if you reintall the CloD original version.And check out the cockpit (iCloD can also be called Old il2 for sure)

the cockpit's like a photo.needles trembling,engines roaring....

Though they are different engine.and different color scheme,but the details are much better in CloD

I think the current quality of the textures is fine, but the ability to have translated dials etc would really assist, especially those new to the game.

Official option for 4k/2K aircraft skins has already been announced for future

Am all for increasing resolution for cockpits, but one has to be careful, the need for decent performance for most systems/players is critical, in other 'combat flight sims' high res cockpits have led to performance issues even with high end machine on certain modules, (only read about this, so no personal experience)

Although it would be great to have high(er) res cockpits for Bodenplatte A/C (if no significant performance hit) however it would leave me very sad when I got into an 'earlier' low res cockpit

In my (unimportant) opinion, there needs to be cohesion of quality across the whole series, something Dev's are trying to do with maps as newer ones are released, in earlier IL-2 series the quality between early and later release models and maps could be quite jarring, and is something I feel important to be avoided, to an extent mods helped with this enormously (thanks modders!) but there are also many downsides

A full official texture upgrade to all aircraft would be great to keep the series at the head of the field, but I fear it may be a huge amount of work

Cheers Dakpilot

Since textures come with mipmaps performence wont be an issue because you can downscale 4k textures to 2k any time. However this doesnt work vise versa obviously which is why we need 4k to begin with.
  • Upvote 1

Doesnt work because you'd still be blocked by the internals of the fuselage. Sometimes it helps to check how things work before spreadig fear based on wild imagination.

Only some parts of the internals. Not everything has both sides built out. You can create the outer skin that is visible, but the other side can be completely non-existent if the player doesn't see it then there is no point in creating it.

That's why no-clip works so well in games that "have internals" but only one side actually renders.

RoF had "internals" but when people created transparent skins you could see just how little of the internals were modeled.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Truth?this sim do not get the best cockpits , but they are good , and I agree it would be nice to be able to mod them. 

Calling them the best and horrible is absolutely wrong. And the Developers have had a policy about it too, they know they have not the best pit´s, but they do the job. Anyway how interesting can you get a grey black surface with gauges ? 

Yes for mods , it neveer hurts, it give people freedom of choice 

Cockpits are pretty hit or miss for me. I think the LaGG-3’s cockpit is great. I think the Spitfire’s looks a bit cartoon-ish. I can’t put my finger on why, and I don’t think it’s purely a function of resolution.

Too bad, because the exterior models are fantastic. You spend nearly all your time in the cockpit though.

Please no mods. Mods splits the community into half. One side likes it (cheating or better design or new funtions ) the other hates it (cheating, never know which mods opponent have, problems with friends not using mods). Many new problems with cheating, server options, technical issues will occur. It is not woth to have all those problems. 

Cockpits are pretty hit or miss for me. I think the LaGG-3’s cockpit is great. I think the Spitfire’s looks a bit cartoon-ish. I can’t put my finger on why, and I don’t think it’s purely a function of resolution.

Too bad, because the exterior models are fantastic. You spend nearly all your time in the cockpit though.

The 109's are very poor in some areas too.  The big photoshop brush used to simulate a giant paint chip on the floor plates have annoyed me since BoS early access.  Also the low-res/in your face headrest gives me the willies every time I turn to look behind me.

Please no mods. Mods splits the community into half. One side likes it (cheating or better design or new funtions ) the other hates it (cheating, never know which mods opponent have, problems with friends not using mods). Many new problems with cheating, server options, technical issues will occur. It is not woth to have all those problems.

We are beyond this discussion already. Mods On mode has been asked for and will come according to Jason although only for 'cosmetical' things that don't affect gameplay.

It's just astonishing how people make such a fuss about it here while mods have been established for long in other sims.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

I think with the upgrade to the in-cockpit shadows, I can live without 4K cockpit textures for now. Wouldn’t mind a mod though :)

Same here. The cockpits are good, but I just like making skins and textures after my own taste here and there.

I think that "fun factor" should be given to the users by the 1C-777 Team - it only makes the joy bigger.

I would also love it, if I could change my pilot figure dress and helmet. The Germans had rather black leather and helmets; not brown.

Please, gents, give us this space, if it is any possible!

• Upvote 1

Modding, if well handled, only leads to a game's longevity.

I trust the devs to make the right decisions, they have more of an invested interest than us after all. This is their baby.

Lets let the devs decide if we get access to the textures or not :)