Sign in to follow this  
6./ZG26_Custard

The best Album covers of all time?

I still have a fairly large vinyl LP collection with many from the 70’s in my collection. They really did produce some fantastic album covers to complement the great music back then.

I was trying to decide what is my favourite album cover of all time but found it impossible.

Three in particular leap out (all from the same design company, Hipgnosis) They created some of the most iconic covers.

Deceptive bends by 10cc, just a great cover for probably the bands best album. Apparently, they tried to get Jessica Lange to be the “rescued” women but she declined. I tried to find out who the woman is on the cover who "stood in" for Jessica but never could.

XVbSovA.jpg

Second up is Animals by Pink Floyd, one of my favourite Floyd albums. I was born in London and lived a very short distance away from Battersea power Station, so it has a little bit of a personal touch for me.

O7CaAWw.jpg

The third is another Floyd album, wish you were here. It just has one of those perfectly timed photographic moments. No doubt someone was standing just off to the side with a fire extinguisher!   

HOxpUjL.png

• Upvote 2

supertramp-crisis_what_crisis3.jpg

that's my pick!  

And for best named albums;  Jefferson Airplanes' "Surrealistic Pillow!

Edited by SYN_Mike77
  • Upvote 2

51Rs4DklnhL.jpg

About as British as it gets 

R-1940017-1280844034.jpeg.jpg

Edited by JG5_Zesphr
  • Upvote 2

Deceptive bends by 10cc, just a great cover for probably the bands best album. Apparently, they tried to get Jessica Lange to be the “rescued” women but she declined. I tried to find out who the woman is on the cover who "stood in" for Jessica but never could.

What makes it more difficult to find out is the fact they used two girls for the pose. One model dressed in green and the other one in red.

I can not say my choice is the best album cover of all time but when people would ask these ones came to my mind:

MI0001503544.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I like it because of its simplicity. Just black & white woodcuts.

a1278546592_10.jpg

This one because... well yeah just because.

Another one I like is Jimi Hendrix' cover art of Electric Ladyland.

Can not show it here because of all the nude ladies on the front and back cover.  :ph34r: 

• Upvote 1

dszpsvF.jpg

Sex, drugs and Jesus Christ by Christian Death.

(also not the greatest, but important to me :) )

Edited by OrLoK

What makes it more difficult to find out is the fact they used two girls for the pose. One model dressed in green and the other one in red.
Yep  :)  

Sex, drugs and Jesus Christ by Christian Death.
Ohh lordy  :unsure:  
  • Upvote 1

...by no means the best album cover of all time..

but it has planes in it and was good enough for me to paint on my schoolbag in the '80s

megadeath's Peace Sells...But Who's Buying

post-83223-0-39956900-1515870345_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pail
  • Upvote 1

My collection is pretty much all digital, but to name a few of my favorites.

news-6-3-14-late_for_the_sky.jpg

hol3.jpg

FIREFALL_FIREFALL-418042.jpg

L886972421728.JPG

Supertramp-Breakfast-In-America-1979-Fro

Edited by [CPT]milopugdog
  • Upvote 1

I still have a fairly large vinyl LP collection with many from the 70’s in my collection. They really did produce some fantastic album covers to complement the great music back then.

I was trying to decide what is my favourite album cover of all time but found it impossible.

Three in particular leap out (all from the same design company, Hipgnosis) They created some of the most iconic covers.

XVbSovA.jpg

Second up is Animals by Pink Floyd, one of my favourite Floyd albums. I was born in London and lived a very short distance away from Battersea power Station, so it has a little bit of a personal touch for me.

O7CaAWw.jpg

The third is another Floyd album, wish you were here. It just has one of those perfectly timed photographic moments. No doubt someone was standing just off to the side with a fire extinguisher!

HOxpUjL.png

If I remember correctly this wasn't the first take and the stuntman was furious because they let him burn longer than he was supposed to and didn't put him out when he wanted.

Edit: I think it was something to do with an unexpected gust of wind that caused him to inflame more than was planned but also caused the cool effect in the photo.

I'm a huge Floyd fan. I read all about this stuff and watched the interviews. Can't get enough Floyd...

Edited by BorysVorobyov
  • Upvote 1

I'm a huge Maiden fan,

There a large amount of references to previous Albums, Songs and their history hidden in the artwork.

post-1265-0-64506100-1515885988_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smouch
  • Upvote 1

If I remember correctly this wasn't the first take and the stuntman was furious

I think I would be furious too!  ;)

I'm a huge Maiden fan,

My favourite Maiden cover on my favourite album of theirs.

VUo1j4g.jpg

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard
  • Upvote 1

milopugdog' timestamp='1515879886' post='560044'] My collection is pretty much all digital, but to name a few of my favorites.
I have the Bloody tourists album, love old Mr time and Everything You've Wanted to Know About!!! (Exclamation Marks).  

I have the Bloody tourists album, love old Mr time and Everything You've Wanted to Know About!!! (Exclamation Marks).

Yeah it's a good album. I've got a few more 10cc albums, but I think Bloody Tourists and Deceptive Bends are the best.

Yeah it's a good album. I've got a few more 10cc albums, but I think Bloody Tourists and Deceptive Bends are the best.

Feel the benefit, from Deceptive Bends is just outstanding in my humble opinion. 

Feel the benefit, from Deceptive Bends is just outstanding in my humble opinion. 

Absolutely. I think my favorite from Deceptive Bends would have to be Marriage Bureau Rendezvous. My favorite song of theirs overall is Oh Effendi from the album Sheet Music though.

Two other favs;

I first saw them on the Slavery tour in '85 in Melbourne...

post-1265-0-94616800-1515907440_thumb.jpg

post-1265-0-84432300-1515907448_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

The best Maiden cover is “Killers”. Simple, effective with a great atmosphere and it hides the horrific part of the image outside the frame for greater impact.

R-1538759-1331217121.jpeg.jpg

Still, as interesting as they are, I wouldn’t put a Miaden cover up for “best cover of all time”.

• Upvote 1

Although some of their music lyrics are pretentious crap, I always thought that this was one of the most effective and memorable album covers ever, (leaving out the nude lady ones which always work well for a young male audience).

post-15424-0-52813300-1515924896_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Two other favs;

I first saw them on the Slavery tour in '85 in Melbourne...

The Live after Death cover is tattoed allover my upper arm. All Maiden covers from Derek Riggs are outstanding!

426468_2895847028481_1029483120_2920537_

Not really... :P

This is related to my actual Avatar. :)

The band I've seen the most at live gigs, probably 25 times. Love this cover.

JcumvVd.jpg

Edit: Not my favourite album though.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard

Sorry for dusting off this old thread but while digging up my old vinyl albums (for selling them on the internet) I found these two appealing covers.

Completely forgot about them but I haven't opened the box filled with albums for about 20 years. :biggrin:

AP01.JPG

SBM01.JPG

On 1/14/2018 at 2:41 PM, Blooddawn1942 said:

The Live after Death cover is tattoed allover my upper arm. All Maiden covers from Derek Riggs are outstanding!

This is related to my actual Avatar. :)

Did you read his biography? Picture of your avatar is in his book too. Very interesting reading, really liked it.

• Like 1

Yes. I did read it. Outstanding guy! 

Last Year in March he was in Cologne reading some chapters from his book and telling the audience very interesting anekdotes. That was a hell of an evening!

He is such a smart guy with tons of charisma. 

Besides this, I saw Iron Maiden 18 times live. :)

The pictures below show him last year in June visiting the MeierMotors aircraft facility before the Iron Maiden Show in Freiburg. 

Bruce_Dickensen_Besuch_2018-06-29_-76.jp

Bruce_Dickensen_Besuch_2018-06-29_-72.jp

Bruce_Dickensen_Besuch_2018-06-29_-112.j

Back to Topic, :)

I just received this record on vinyl from the Ukraine, which took 6 weeks of delivery. 

I absolutely love the cover artwork! 

a3668139661_10.jpg

0014781843_10.jpg

Edited by Blooddawn1942

Just some albums. That J. Last guy flew a Fokker D7!

blue oyster cult.png

IMG_6721.JPG

IMG_6722.JPG