Photo

Will any new modifications be coming to the Spitfire?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheTacticalCat

TheTacticalCat

Posted 11 January 2018 - 18:48

I feel like 2 mods for it is oddly few considering the resourcefulness of the Russian during Operation Barbarossa.

Kurf├╝rst for Breakfast

#2 Finkeren

Finkeren
  • Founder

Posted 11 January 2018 - 19:27

The reason is simple: There is no evidence that the few Soviet Mk. V Spits were ever modified in any way during their short service life, nor were they apparently ever fitted with bombs or any other ordinance.

it's even a little doubtful if any Merlin 45 Spits were ever in Soviet service, but here the devs gave it the benefit of doubt.

Edited by Finkeren, 11 January 2018 - 20:06.

MiG-3                

The P-51 won the war.

#3 Trooper117

Trooper117
  • Founder

Posted 11 January 2018 - 19:30

This has been covered before, but can't find the thread... There is nothing to consider really, you have the aircraft in the state it was received and used on the eastern front.

It was used in the Kuban and then moved onto high intercept roles where the aircraft was better suited.

Edit... Fink beat me to it :)

IL2.jpg

#4 TP_Silk

TP_Silk

Posted 11 January 2018 - 20:13

Fink - if you look at the web page linked below and refer to the section entitled "Exploitation and Combat Employment of Spitfire" you will see that both engine types are referenced. This is not conclusive proof, of course, but highly suggestive.

http://lend-lease.ai.../articles/spit/

#5 Finkeren

Finkeren
  • Founder

Posted 11 January 2018 - 20:15

Fink - if you look at the web page linked below and refer to the section entitled "Exploitation and Combat Employment of Spitfire" you will see that both engine types are referenced. This is not conclusive proof, of course, but highly suggestive.

http://lend-lease.ai.../articles/spit/

I have no sources one way or the other, I just know that other people have debated it.

MiG-3                

The P-51 won the war.

#6 ShamrockOneFive

ShamrockOneFive
  • Founder

Posted 11 January 2018 - 22:55

I feel like 2 mods for it is oddly few considering the resourcefulness of the Russian during Operation Barbarossa.

There really isn't very much to mod with this Spitfire in this context. Some aircraft will naturally have a lot of options and others are just going to be largely as-is.

My understanding is that there were at least a handful of Merlin 45 equipped Mark V's sent to Russia and I'm really glad to see the devs make it an option.

#7 Pail

Pail

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:39

Very disappointing that no resourceful Russian ground crew thought to saw the wingtips off...... :lol:

Simplex vel fatuus                                                         

2018_1_10__21_7_24 b.jpg

#8 Finkeren

Finkeren
  • Founder

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:47

Very disappointing that no resourceful Russian ground crew thought to saw the wingtips off...... :lol:

No doubt a couple of resourceful German pilots sawed the wingtips off a few of them, albeit a little closer to the wing root ;)

MiG-3                

The P-51 won the war.

#9 -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:18

No doubt a couple of resourceful German pilots sawed the wingtips off a few of them, albeit a little closer to the wing root ;)

Soviet Yak pilots helped as well! :P

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard, 13 January 2018 - 04:18.

#10 hrafnkolbrandr

hrafnkolbrandr

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:20

Those helpful Soviet AA gunners did a few as well!

#11 [CPT]milopugdog

[CPT]milopugdog
  • Tester

Posted 13 January 2018 - 20:55

Spitfire-Beer-Kegs.jpg

Maybe this can be a mod? The kegs could be counted as a supply delivery. :)

6eVytvK.png

yoKxYgP.png

45qpzEV.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users