Sign in to follow this  
II./JG27_Rich

If we get to the Western Front in the future

...yeesssss. with all the available radar equipment of its time. A very very good idea, never tried in a sim.

I would like it a lot.

• Upvote 1

G-7 is a fantasy a/c.

Ju 88 G-7   Like G-6, but with Jumo 213E high-altitude engines, planned to be used with FuG 218/220 with Morgenstern array or FuG 240. Was in production but none finished.

Yep, that top speed is unreal.  Its a typo.  Should be 547kmh.

I've got the same top speed in my book

"Fighting Aircraft of WWII" ....Bill Gunston

Those radar equipments inboard were quite uneffective unless to be close (1 Km or so) to ennemy bombers formation (from A Galland writing)

Main reliability were German mouving ground stations able to localise incoming ennemy formations, and transmitting positions to night fighters. Then they could use inboard radars...or not, because they often missed interception points.

Those ground stations were just under numbered, and ennemy formations very often changing incoming path. Germans used also local human ears to spot ennemy bombers!

Furthermore allies found a trick for some time, to avoid/blur German radar: they were launching aluminium stripes in the skies!

It worked for some time...

Galland said those night fighters were not that good use at start, but finally got nice results with the ending war.

Ju-88 G6  :o:

junkers_ju-88_g6_04.794CF396787249E7BF81

Those radar equipments inboard were quite uneffective unless to be close (1 Km or so) to ennemy bombers formation (from A Galland writing)

Main reliability were German mouving ground stations able to localise incoming ennemy formations, and transmitting positions to night fighters. Then they could use inboard radars...or not, because they often missed interception points.

Those ground stations were just under numbered, and ennemy formations very often changing incoming path. Germans used also local human ears to spot ennemy bombers!

Furthermore allies found a trick for some time, to avoid/blur German radar: they were launching aluminium stripes in the skies!

It worked for some time...

Galland said those night fighters were not that good use at start, but finally got nice results with the ending war.

Watch "Warriors Of The Night" on youtube Interviews with both sides you will probably enjoy it 

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

S!

German night fighter arm got it's death strike when the unlucky Ju88 with all the latest radars and stuff landed by accident in England. But still they managed to take a toll on the Bomber Command. Shame that "The boogeyman of St.Trond" aka Schnaufer never wrote a book of his career. 121 kills in was it 149 sorties is quite amazing.

G-7 is a fantasy a/c. Like G-6, but with Jumo 213E high-altitude engines, planned to be used with FuG 218/220 with Morgenstern array or FuG 240. Was in production but none finished.

You are probably right.

In "Captured Eagles - volume 1", Roger S. Gaemperle writes that the Ju 88 G-7 "actually had entered serial production in the final weekend of the war" and shows three previously unpublished photographs of the fuselage of W.Nr. 240125, "found partially covered by camouflage nets at the Junkers Bernburg airfield where it was sent for final assembly. On March 31, 1945, a Junkers report mentioned that two Ju 88 G-7s (W.Nr. 240123 and 240124) were slightly damaged during an allied strafing attack on Bernburg" but does'nt precise if they were fully assembled aircraft or only fuselages.

post-481-0-99114300-1388160308_thumb.jpg

My fav has always been the He 219. Best German nightfighter of the wear IMHO.

And if we were really going there.... A P 61 would be GREAT !! (only pourpose designed nightfighter in WW II)

I want my He 219 :cool:

Off of the subject a bit but does anyone know what you have to do to put up longer length videos on youtube. I have the whole series of Warriors of the Night and probably one of the best sections is missing from the person's post of it on youtube so I was thinking of putting mine up. Spoden bails from his 110 and gets caught on the tail and almost gets killed. That's exciting. Another part he almost crashes into the ground in a dive. The problem is the length of the videos :(

I'm allowed unlimited length but I have no idea what the criteria is, one day I just noticed it had changed.

I'll get back to you. Haven't decided yet if I'm puting it up yet.

Oh, reason I asked is Vimeo has a 60 minute, 500mb per file limit, for a free account. Last I checked.

Dailymotion from what I have heard has generous limits but I don't know the details.

Youtube you can get longer than 15 minutes (but I don't know how long) by verifying a phone number: https://www.youtube.com/my_videos_upload

Meh.

Edited by Calvamos

Oh great, yet another "when we get to the Western Front" thread. I think I'm gonna go spam the DCS-1944 forums with "When we get to the Great Patriotic War" threads.

Oh well, at least this one takes up a slightly new topic (and I too would really like to see the night bombing offensives of WW2 done in a sim someday)

German night fighter arm got it's death strike when the unlucky Ju88 with all the latest radars and stuff landed by accident in England. 

Except it was not an accident. The crew of the Ju88 deliberately defected with the purpose of giving knowledge of the newest German airborne radar to the British. Only two of the crew were in on the plot though and had to keep the third crew member in check at gunpoint for most of the flight.

I hope 777 stick with the Eastern Front for the foreseeable future, and releasing more ROF content of course :D

With DCS ploughing the usual Western Front furrow I'd like 777 to go for the Med, Korea even maybe. I'm still disappointed that ED and Luthier didn't go for Korea for its prop sim foray. In his Sim HQ article Oleg mentions they did a massive amount of Korea research, even producing some 3D models. Then there's Vietnam....

Except it was not an accident. The crew of the Ju88 deliberately defected with the purpose of giving knowledge of the newest German airborne radar to the British. Only two of the crew were in on the plot though and had to keep the third crew member in check at gunpoint for most of the flight.

Finkeren, I've never heard that before. Got any evidence?  What British Intelligence said;

http://www.ww2.dk/misc/captured.pdf

Just another example of a novice crew getting lost.  They weren't always novices either but no examples of deliberate defection or surrender during WW2 by the LW to England - as far as I'm aware - with the exception of Rudolph Hess.  

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the Ju-88R1 which was fown from Norway to the UK in May 1943 and which helped develop "window". We're talking about two seperate incidents.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant the Ju-88R1 which was fown from Norway to the UK in May 1943 and which helped develop "window". We're talking about two seperate incidents.

NP m8.  Found this;

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/78-AF-953-Junkers-Ju88-R1.pdf

Astonishing.  Never heard about this before.

I would love to see one fly again. Since it was a nice handling aeroplane and a few are around and two more are being restored it would be nice to get a guy with a few million to get interested in one. There are lots of guys...and gals out there with millions we just have to get there minds off of the P-51s etc. for a while  :biggrin: Plus you have engines available for the G1 types. You can use the Russian Ash engines witch are in the Flug Werk 190 A8s

11608037683_9cb26cf603_o.jpg

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

Should take some years to get to the western front, don't ya think? :huh:  If you remember IL-2 ... and the models were way less complex. I guess Nachtjagd would be great but it requires lots of additional game content to make Nachtjäger usable.

Fw-190 BMW engine type

2_81.jpg

Should take some years to get to the western front, don't ya think? :huh:  If you remember IL-2 ... and the models were way less complex. I guess Nachtjagd would be great but it requires lots of additional game content to make Nachtjäger usable.

I know but why not put the idea out there know so it's seen to think about :) I don't even want the western front to be next I want the Mediterranean and North Africa. I'm just thinking ahead. Like I said I've never seen a Ju-88 night fighter in any sim. It was a better night fighter than a 110. Peter Spoden says "Much" better..Faster more room etc. "Wariors of the Night"

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

S!

I would vote for Mediterranean before the European theatre. It has been done to hell and back and could use something new and fresh.

Yes, Mediteranean should be very interesting! 

Battle for Malta, fighting in North Africa or even for Italy invasion  :cool:

Also plenty interesting planes! ( i.e thinking Italian ones)

But our beloved Russians devs know more about Russian theatre!

After Russia I hope for the Med and North Africa. Westfront has been done and done and done....

• Upvote 2