Sign in to follow this  
chiliwili69

New HTC Vive 1.5??? (CES2018)

Hey!  It seems that HTC is going to increase the resolution of the Vive...

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-tease-vive-resolution-ces-2018-debut/

Wait some days and we will see. If you are going to buy a Rift you might think twice.

This is exactly what I thought that Oculus could do:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7esws0/why_oculus_is_taking_so_much_time_in_producing/

I am really really happy to see that HTC is moving faster than Oculus here, who seems to have resources only for mobile things. Since last October Oculus Connect 2017, it was clear that increasing the resolution of the Rift for PC-VR users was not a priority for them. Oculus appears to ignore that resolution is an important item desired by the market (the other is price):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/33300-why-you-are-still-not-vr/

Edited by chiliwili69

This will certainly be very interesting. I look forward to seeing what they have planned next week.

I hope they are providing a device with increased resolution. No need for anything drastic, just get rid of pentile arrangement and increase resolution to similar levels as Samsung would be nice.

Man that's exciting. I'm hoping for a full 2.0 update. Upped resolution and foveated rendering. Probably going to be disappointed but let's see.

As someone who is so close to buying a rift this is exciting news. 

Strange Nothing about a wider FOV or wireless as some may wrote down.

Only I’m afraid it would be €790,- investment for the VRgear and the extra resolution does mean that you need a real big Vcard.

Strange Nothing about a wider FOV or wireless as some may wrote down.

Only I’m afraid it would be €790,- investment for the VRgear and the extra resolution does mean that you need a real big Vcard.

There is not much about anything really, other than the teaser HTC threw out there.

Next week we should certainly know a lot more with CES.

Exciting. 

Does anyone know the latest gossip on the pimax 8k? Was january not the optimistic release deadline?

Exciting. 

Does anyone know the latest gossip on the pimax 8k? Was january not the optimistic release deadline?

i think they're pushing it to March because of the 75hz to 90hz debate... or something along those lines. There's a subreddit for everything pimax... https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/

Htc vive costs here now 800€, so i fear updated vive would cost around 1k€( that will kill market instant). They should price new vive to 500€ range, so it would sell better than any other current vr glasses.

There isnt really no point to overprice new vr glasses, they have tech now so they can make them cheaper.

Hmmm wonder if the current vive will drop in price. 78% increase in resolution should be good but at what cost, and what hardware can run it...

1440x1600 screens, headphones copyed from rift, headstrap looks kinda heavy.

I think i keep my rift, doubt vive pro will be any cheaper than current vive.

78% increase in resolution should be good but at what cost, and what hardware can run it...

Well..., it is the same resolution than the Samsung Odyssey. That resolution with SS=1 can be handled well with a 1070, 1080 or 1080Ti card.

With a 1080Ti you could even run the upcoming HTC Vive Pro at SteamVR SS=1.7with no issues:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/?p=542360 

Not talking about new GPUs we could have for this summer....

HTC Vive Pro:   https://www.digitalt...o-announcement/   Summer of 2018.

Interesting beginning of 2018

About 5% market share of Windows MR... and growing

New Pimax 5K and 8K for March-April

New HTC Vive Pro for summer

Anybody has heard about a company called Oculus........????       

(ahh yes...  a company created by a passionate VR guy which is now in the hands of a social media company....)

PD: Sorry if some genuine Oculus employee read this, but I couldn´t resist to write it.

PD2: I know for sure that I will sell my Rift along the next 6 months...

Edited by chiliwili69

I will likely hang with Oculus for this year, and see if anything is on the table for them for 2019. 

If they have nothing to show for high end PC-VR at Oculus Connect 5 later in the year, then I may start seriously looking.

Edited by dburne

Interesting news... Glad to see them push things forward.  I don't think it will make a massive difference in terms of res but a bump none the less.  Until we can see well over 4k and have machines which can run it  we are stuck for a while with this.  Perhaps the Foviated focusing is the answer but then devs need to support it.

Interesting news... Glad to see them push things forward.  I don't think it will make a massive difference in terms of res but a bump none the less.  Until we can see well over 4k and have machines which can run it  we are stuck for a while with this.  Perhaps the Foviated focusing is the answer but then devs need to support it.

Yes exactly why I will stick with what I have for now.

When I invest in the next device , I want it to be a leapfrog in tech not just a small bump.

We have an idea on what Oculus is working on for their next gen high end PC-VR device, to include eye tracking ( they purchased an eye track co) along with foveated rendering. Of course it remains to be seen if that will make it into the true CV2 or not.

I just hope we learn some more on it later in the year. I used the heck out of my Rift for the past year, and will be doing so again this year - least I feel am getting my moneys worth out of it lol.

As much as I truly love VR, I don't think I would want to be replacing my VR device on an annual basis.

Edited by dburne

As much as I truly love VR, I don't think I would want to be replacing my VR device on an annual basis.

Yep, think the same.

In my case I got my Rift on May-2016 (at 699€ :o: !! ), so May-2018 it s good time for replacement (Pimax 8K pre-order).

If Pimax doesn´t convince me I will switch to Vive Pro then.

I'm in two minds. Part of me wants the greater resolution, but is it a big enough jump. I'm not sure.

I've almost gotten two years out of my Vive and the number of hours I have spent in it have been significant so I have definitely received my moneys worth.

Still nothing announced from LG. I'm going to sit back and wait a bit as trying to convince the wife that I need a new headset for Gen2 after just getting a Gen1.5 will be almost impossible.

I'm in two minds. Part of me wants the greater resolution, but is it a big enough jump. I'm not sure.

I've almost gotten two years out of my Vive and the number of hours I have spent in it have been significant so I have definitely received my moneys worth.

Still nothing announced from LG. I'm going to sit back and wait a bit as trying to convince the wife that I need a new headset for Gen2 after just getting a Gen1.5 will be almost impossible.

If you get the same brand and they look similar enough. Who will notice? I ask you.

Anybody has heard about a company called Oculus........????

(ahh yes... a company created by a passionate VR guy which is now in the hands of a social media company....)

Exactly. The price difference has been a deciding factor until now. Anyone googling hardware specifications before committing would have noticed the vive costs a lot more for not so much compared to a rift.

With the pro this changes. Rift becomes the cheap and bad image quality alternative while the htc now can charge lots and have a reason for it. Personally I don't think neither the headphones nor the new screen will cost that much more for htc to manufacture or buy. So it's a very clever release.

Oculus did not respond to the threat of pimax. I'd be surprised if they won't respond to this before the vive pro reaches the stores. Unless of course they plan to go all in on standalone devices and drop out of the high end market.

New one is dark blue and has attached headphones.

The minister for War and Finance will notice.  :umnik2:

Obviously htc marketing department has no consideration for married people. Heres hoping: "you can also buy the rift pro screen as a separate item and with the supplied tools and instruction swap out your low res screen in matter of 30 minutes. For your discretion the screen is shipped in a discrete and padded envelope marked 'lot's of bills'. -No one needs to know"

I remember when HTC Vive was released, to get one in Germany you'd have to put $1300US on the counter for almost a year. If they do the same again, it will clearly not be an acceptable purchase. For that, the upgrade is too small, too insignificant. Now if it was a 4K version, we'd be talking business.

I remember when HTC Vive was released, to get one in Germany you'd have to put $1300US on the counter for almost a year. If they do the same again, it will clearly not be an acceptable purchase. For that, the upgrade is too small, too insignificant. Now if it was a 4K version, we'd be talking business.

Ouch,

I thought we had it bad, I paid ~$1300 AUD and received mine on the 5th of April 2016. I got lucky as they missed Australian import taxes on mine as it was the first shipment in. They started charging it soon after for later shipments.

Yep, think the same.

In my case I got my Rift on May-2016 (at 699€ :o: !! ), so May-2018 it s good time for replacement (Pimax 8K pre-order).

If Pimax doesn´t convince me I will switch to Vive Pro then.

Remember, Pimax dont have any Laterial movements, only rolls, like ED Tracker, so it wont work in real vr games. But if you buy just for this, it should do the trick.

Remember, Pimax dont have any Laterial movements, only rolls, like ED Tracker, so it wont work in real vr games. But if you buy just for this, it should do the trick.

Is it possible to do the same "pseudo 6DoF" trick as with EDTracker? Or would that result in nausea? :)

Is it possible to do the same "pseudo 6DoF" trick as with EDTracker? Or would that result in nausea? :)

What i have read from pimax forums, they dont support opentrack or have own settings for setups like that. But what future brings, dont know.

I think the pro is a stop gap measure until the 4k headsets come out in the next couple of years. If the price of the pro headset (alone) is under $400 for the "upgrade" I might pick it up since it would be nice to finally see all the gauges clearly for a change. My testing with steamvr SS settings indicate that this resolution increase will not be an issue for a current high-end gpus.

I own both the rift and vive and the rift unfortunately has superior clarity when it comes to certain games (elite dangerous is night and day) but I can't stand oculus as a company along with facebook and look forward to permanently shelving the rift with a proper replacement. This pro version could be it.

I think if one already has a Vive setup, upgrading to the pro headset makes some sense. I would wager though it will be more than 400 bucks.

Changing a complete setup to a complete new Vive setup with the Pro headset though, maybe not. Lot of expense for a small upgrade.

yeah, HTC's announcement is a bit lackluster. 

For a game like IL2, where the cutting edge of current CPU/GPU tech can barely run the current Vive resolutions, sure. But the wireless connection will be huge for more physically active games.  e.g., I do VR boxing pretty regularly and I am constantly afraid of catching a wire and ripping a connection socket out of my GPU. 

For a game like IL2, where the cutting edge of current CPU/GPU tech can barely run the current Vive resolutions, sure. But the wireless connection will be huge for more physically active games.  e.g., I do VR boxing pretty regularly and I am constantly afraid of catching a wire and ripping a connection socket out of my GPU. 

Yeah especially for those standing room scale games, wireless would be fantastic.

I swear though I just can not imagine how they could get a wireless signal for graphics to be as smooth, at least with current tech.

What about the StarVR, any info on that?

The pimax 5k and 8k use lighthouse tracking, which is 6dof