=X51=VC_

Any rumours of a Griffon?

I have to say I'm quite hyped by the whole Bodenplatte thing, mostly because late variant 109s are my favourites. However, iconic as the Spitfire IX is, I was a bit disappointed that there isn't a XII or XIV in the line-up. Does anyone know if a Griffon Spit is planned at some point, maybe as an additional collector plane (there's no rule of 2 collectors per expansion is there)?

Edited by VC_

They are very powerful but I don' think they outdate axis planes any more than the P-51D does, and in any case Axis will have jets on Bodenplatte. They're just gorgeous planes and I think could be very interesting to fly.

Edited by VC_

If Bodenplatte is set in the winter of 44-45, the Griffon Spitfire (probably the Mk. XIV) would not be out of place. And in terms of performance it wouldn't totally outclass the Luftwaffe planes, the G model 109 and A-model 190 would be at a disadvantage but the 109K and 190D would still be quite competitive against the Griffon Spit. The Kurfurst and the Dora are in many aspects far superior to the Spitfire IX, so the XIV would be a good match for those aircraft. Besides, the Luftwaffe will have 262s so it would be cool to have a powerful Spit to fight it with. (Even though historically the first 262 shot down by allied aircraft was shot down by a flight of Spit IXs from 126 Wing RCAF!)

If the XIV was available I'd buy it instantly.

... it would be cool to have a powerful Spit to fight it with. (Even though historically the first 262 shot down by allied aircraft was shot down by a flight of Spit IXs from 126 Wing RCAF!)

If the XIV was available I'd buy it instantly.

Well, first jet job for 2nd TAF anyway. Americans claim the first for the allies I believe.

TBH I think the Griphon Spit would be great Collector Plane.

I am quite Surprised the Devs aren't taking the Chance of making the 262 a 99,99$ Plane though. I am sure they have good reasons for it though.

The 262 don't even count. We all know it will not be an effective fighter. Those things have to get incredibly lucky to get guns on a prop fighter. I'm not even excited for the 262, it will probably be crap.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the XIV would make more sense than the XII because the latter was really only used in home defense. Glad to see other people would like one, let's hope one day!

Also, for extra fun and variety compared to normal Spitfire, it should be clipped wing. :salute:

I'd definitely pay good money for a Spit XIV, to be sure.

That said, I believe the reason they're going for the Spit IX is it is relatively easy for them to take the V and make the IX out of it, or so the rumours say.

Either way, I'll be happy with the Spit IX. It probably won't be worse than flying the Yak-1b today vs contemporary LW hardware, and we're managing it. :)

Oh I don't doubt it, if it's the LF IX version it has every possibility of being a monster at low alt. I don't think the XIV should have replaced it in the standard line-up, there are just so many cool planes to squeeze in though!

The Spit IX will be a beast. Not only ion performance, but in ease of use. The ease of use part will make it easily one of the most successful (and feared) planes in Bodenplatte.

Hopefully as sales and resources build up we will see many more aircraft added to the sim.

We already have a bunch on the way with Boden - even a partner with the developers that may result in Po-2 and Li-2.

Probably the best thing to do is buy everything the developers make. I will be purchasing the tank sim and WWI sim for this reason - probably even end up having a lot of fun with them.

I am quite Surprised the Devs aren't taking the Chance of making the 262 a 99,99$ Plane though. I am sure they have good reasons for it though.

I'm also sure they do - it's called common sense :biggrin:. Good luck with finding customers for a 100 bucks non-clickable, simplified-systems airplane for any flight sim platform, combat or civilian.

OK, there probably would be a few  :wacko:, but not enough to make the project profitable (unless we can "convert" some Star Citizen zombies to turn their cashflow to 1CGS and WWII aviation ;) )

I have to say I'm quite hyped by the whole Bodenplatte thing, mostly because late variant 109s are my favourites. However, iconic as the Spitfire IX is, I was a bit disappointed that there isn't a XII or XIV in the line-up. Does anyone know if a Griffon Spit is planned at some point, maybe as an additional collector plane (there's no rule of 2 collectors per expansion is there)?

We have no idea what they plan to do post Bodenplatte release but I think its certainly possible given past history that they may be able to squeeze a pair of Collector Planes in at the end just as they have done with Kuban. The two that they added certainly help fill out the aircraft set and I can see an opportunity to do that here.

IMHO, the Spitfire IX is absolutely the right choice for the default aircraft set. I've been going back and reading the three volumes of 2nd TAF books by Christopher Shores and Chris Thomas and the sheer number of times that the Spitfire IX is involved in daily operations is immense. These are the bread and butter of the RAF's tactical force.

While the Spitfire XIV absolutely has a good reason to be in the Bodenplatte set, the Spitfire XII was a limited development that equipped two squadrons and was entirely used for home defense. The XIV did equip several squadrons and I do hope we'll see it as a follow up Collector Plane. It'd be fun to fly a Griffon engined Spitfire along the way.

I hope not. Griffons outdate the axis planes don't they?

Not even slightly. Spit mk XIV was first introduced in 1943 and the Seafire mk XV was introduced in 1944.

If anything, the Axis planes in BoBo outdate the Spitfire mk IX (introduced 1942).

No word yet on what variant of Merlin it will have.

The mk IX will be good to have and as one of the most-produced Spitfire variants it's an appropriate choice in general, but for the theatre and the setting a mk XIV would have maybe been more competitive.

Edited by Royal_Flight

Not even slightly. Spit mk XIV was first introduced in 1943 and the Seafire mk XV was introduced in 1944.

If anything, the Axis planes in BoBo outdate the Spitfire mk IX (introduced 1942).

No word yet on what variant of Merlin it will have.

The mk IX will be good to have and as one of the most-produced Spitfire variants it's an appropriate choice in general, but for the theatre and the setting a mk XIV would have maybe been more competitive.

This ^

The Mk IX is getting long in it's teeth by the time Bodenplatte occured.  The 109K is a real unicorn by comparison.

von Luck

Obviously, the XIV is what should exist in a late-war, jet fighter, ultimate-versions-of-Axis-fighters West Front IL-2 expansion.

A Griffon powered Spitfire would be an instant buy for me, and I don't even do that well in the Spitfire.

Now, a Griffon powered Fairey Firefly would cause me to invent a time machine so I could purchase it in the future and bring it back here...

There were still plenty of MK IX's around though, with 150 octane fuel they were cleared for 25 ibs boost. She'll do ok. 

I'd love to see a mk XIV too, maybe post release as a collector plane

I'm also sure they do - it's called common sense :biggrin:. Good luck with finding customers for a 100 bucks non-clickable, simplified-systems airplane for any flight sim platform, combat or civilian.

OK, there probably would be a few  :wacko:, but not enough to make the project profitable (unless we can "convert" some Star Citizen zombies to turn their cashflow to 1CGS and WWII aviation ;) )

speaking as an ex Star Citizen (refund) I know a few who are already here ;)

The 109K is a real unicorn by comparison

Not really. There were quite a few Gruppen flying it by late December 1944. 

We have no idea what they plan to do post Bodenplatte release but I think its certainly possible given past history that they may be able to squeeze a pair of Collector Planes in at the end just as they have done with Kuban. The two that they added certainly help fill out the aircraft set and I can see an opportunity to do that here.

What do you mean squeeze in? I thought each expansion had 8 main and 2 collector planes, or at least BoS and BoM seem to. For Kuban these are the G-6 and the 5FN, or were they not planned from the start? For Bodenplatte the collector planes are already announced as the P-38 and 190D. The only special/additional planes I can think of are the Yak-1b and the Ju-52. So to squeeze a Griffon in they would have to, at some point, make another collector plane not tied to a specific expansion. Is this what you mean?

For Kuban these are the G-6 and the 5FN, or were they not planned from the start?

The Spitfire and Hs 129 are the collector planes for Kuban. The G-6 and La-5FN were announced later.

• Upvote 1

Not really. There were quite a few Gruppen flying it by late December 1944. 

To be honest I have real mixed feelings about the K-4. On the one hand, ultimate 109, 10 minutes of massive performance (please please C3 variant!), looks awesome. On the other hand, sluggish handling and MK108 in a mostly fighter vs. fighter setup... eurgh! If they give it a modification option to fit the MG151/20, I'll be all over it. If they don't I'll probably stick to the G-14 and wish they gave us a G-10 instead of the K-4. :mellow:

The Spitfire and Hs 129 are the collector planes for Kuban. The G-6 and La-5FN were announced later.

Ah, fair enough! In that case, I have the perfect idea for the LW collector to pair with the Mk. XIV: Ta-152!

Now, a Griffon powered Fairey Firefly would cause me to invent a time machine so I could purchase it in the future and bring it back here...

You and I are speaking the same language now. Getting a Firefly would be immense.

To be honest I have real mixed feelings about the K-4. On the one hand, ultimate 109, 10 minutes of massive performance (please please C3 variant!), looks awesome. On the other hand, sluggish handling and MK108 in a mostly fighter vs. fighter setup... eurgh! If they give it a modification option to fit the MG151/20, I'll be all over it. If they don't I'll probably stick to the G-14 and wish they gave us a G-10 instead of the K-4. :mellow:

Ah, fair enough! In that case, I have the perfect idea for the LW collector to pair with the Mk. XIV: Ta-152!

Ahh Ta-152... could be. It wouldn't require a complete rebuild either... just modify a FW190. See, I was actually gunning for the Ar234. It'd be the "cheapest" way to add another bomber to the series seeing as it was a no turret and single crew aircraft.

• Upvote 2

says the obvious allie fanboy. LOL

Actually, I prefer the Luftwaffe fighters and their style of play. But I find many planes interesting, and I play both sides. My main interest is in fun match ups.

Edited by Warpig

Ahh Ta-152... could be. It wouldn't require a complete rebuild either... just modify a FW190. See, I was actually gunning for the Ar234. It'd be the "cheapest" way to add another bomber to the series seeing as it was a no turret and single crew aircraft.

A very cool plane but I'm not sure it's a good idea to introduce an essentially uncatchable bomber in a game that's meant to be won by bombing things. An He-162 might fit the bill as well though (for a collector plane, not a bomber). Also seems Bodenplatte has gone down the "no bombers" route.

A very cool plane but I'm not sure it's a good idea to introduce an essentially uncatchable bomber in a game that's meant to be won by bombing things. An He-162 might fit the bill as well though (for a collector plane, not a bomber). Also seems Bodenplatte has gone down the "no bombers" route.

It wasn't an issue in IL-2: 1946. We featured the Ar234 in many multiplayer scenarios where the Me262 was not allowed. The Ar234 was fast but its uncatchable part really is only at high altitudes and over prolonged periods of time. This is where detection, scramble order, time to intercept, etc. all play a role. In a multiplayer tactical fight its less of an issue and a Tempest or P-47 could overhaul an Ar234 carrying bombs.

• Upvote 1

Has been discussed, but yeah it would be a pretty good choice for a collector’s aircraft along the way.

Eeew!

Full wing all the way!

A circumcised Spit is profoundly unattractive.

:unsure::blink: ... I really like clipped Spitfires... guess I'll go hide back in my cave now.

• Upvote 1

:unsure::blink: ... I really like clipped Spitfires... guess I'll go hide back in my cave now.

When it comes to personal taste, there is no right or wrong. No need to go into any cave :)

• Upvote 1