Hi guys,

I'm pulling my hair out on this issue:

Whatever mission I'm saving in the Mission Editor, the .list file always comes out empty (0 bytes).

I've tried this on 3 different PCs now, the result is always the same.

Whether I start a new mission from scratch or open an existing one, the .list files comes out as 0 bytes. Argh...

What I've read so far is

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/14986-10016-unable-save-file-disk

and

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/15037-how-generate-list-files

I do not have any other thing from IL-2 running but STEditor.

am saving the mission (type "Deathmatch") to the game's "data/Multiplayer/Dogfight" folder.

My game is Steam Version, game folder is "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad".

Anything else I'm missing?

Cheers!

Mike

*bump*

Just loaded the mission in the Mission Editor of our Dogfight Server itself, re-saved it and *bang*: There it is, the .list file.

WT...?

The only difference between the Dogfight Server and my "normal" PCs is that the DS doesn't use Steam but the Developer's version of the game, therefore it resides in

"C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad"

instead of

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad"

Can it be that the Mission Editor cannot save missions correctly in the Steam Version?

Or is it just because it's on drive "D"?

Cheers!

Mike

Hi,

I have read somewhere (maybe in the manual) that missions should be saved in the same folder where they have been saved in the mission editor. 

If you have saved mission from editor in C:\flightsims\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight

In the server you should store the mission in the same folder.

Do not know if this is related with your issue btw.

~S~

Thanks Fenice, I know about this, it's because the path is "hard coded" in the .list file.

My issue start earlier: I am building the mission, and when I save it, I get an empty .list file.

I've just reinstalled IL-2 from "IL2_setup_BoM.exe" to rule out the Steam thing.

Still I have the same issue here on my Windows 10 PC, but on the Windows Server 2016 with the very same setup everything's working fine.

That's odd, isn't it?

Cheers!

Mike

I have BoX in "C:\Games\..." and "D:\Games\..." under Win10 Pro (SSD/HDD).

.list file saves fine if mission is saved anywhere inside the "data" subfolder. It saves zero-length if you try to save it anywhere outside the "data" folder. Please check

Edited by sniperton

Thanks Fenice, I know about this, it's because the path is "hard coded" in the .list file.

My issue start earlier: I am building the mission, and when I save it, I get an empty .list file.

I've just reinstalled IL-2 from "IL2_setup_BoM.exe" to rule out the Steam thing.

Still I have the same issue here on my Windows 10 PC, but on the Windows Server 2016 with the very same setup everything's working fine.

That's odd, isn't it?

Cheers!

Mike

So, if I understand correctly, you tried saving under the data/multiplayer/dogfight folder for both a Steam version and a developer's version on your Windows 10 PC and both versions gave you an empty .list file right?

Can you please post a zip with all of the mission files.

Edited by JimTM

Sure, here you are: http://www.mediafire.com/file/17v7aqwa16wsdwq/FAC_Training_Mission_v1.00_-_2018-01-03.zip

Note that it's just a starting point, and this zip contains the .list file created using our dedicated server.

Opening the mission on any other of my PCs and saving it again, from the very same folder location, makes the .list file turn empty.

Cheers!

Mike

I opened and saved the mission and the .list file had the proper contents in it.

Try deleting all the files for your mission except .mission and .eng, then open and save the mission.

Aside: I'm not sure what you are using the language.cmd file for because when you save the mission, it automatically saves the .eng file contents to all the other language files.

Edited by JimTM

Original content:

filename="multiplayer/dogfight/fac training mission v1/fac_training_mission_v100.eng","da3425c3"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/fac training mission v1/fac_training_mission_v100.fra","cbd78509"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/fac training mission v1/fac_training_mission_v100.ger","9af30ed9"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/fac training mission v1/fac_training_mission_v100.pol","1ac0762c"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/fac training mission v1/fac_training_mission_v100.rus","d9dbf328"
filename="multiplayer/dogfight/fac training mission v1/fac_training_mission_v100.spa","24e6ced7"

Mission files loaded from "Missions" and resaved there under a different name ("_b"):

filename="missions/fac_training_mission_v100_b.eng","6712bc2a"
filename="missions/fac_training_mission_v100_b.fra","5c599f8d"
filename="missions/fac_training_mission_v100_b.ger","6786d842"
filename="missions/fac_training_mission_v100_b.pol","a0188352"
filename="missions/fac_training_mission_v100_b.rus","d2c2fec8"
filename="missions/fac_training_mission_v100_b.spa","aa874024"

Reopened and resaved to the Multiplayer folder under the new name ("_b"):

filename="multiplayer/fac/fac_training_mission_v100_b.eng","6712bc2a"
filename="multiplayer/fac/fac_training_mission_v100_b.fra","5c599f8d"
filename="multiplayer/fac/fac_training_mission_v100_b.ger","6786d842"
filename="multiplayer/fac/fac_training_mission_v100_b.pol","a0188352"
filename="multiplayer/fac/fac_training_mission_v100_b.rus","d2c2fec8"
filename="multiplayer/fac/fac_training_mission_v100_b.spa","aa874024"

Try deleting all the files for your mission except .mission and .eng, then open and save the mission.

Did that. The .list file will immediately turn empty.

I'm not sure what you are using the language.cmd file for because when you save the mission, it automatically saves the .eng file contents to all the other language files.

The language.cmd is there exactly because the Mission Editor does not do that automatically for me.

When I edit the mission on our dogfight server, which is an english language Windows Server 2016, it will only update the .eng file and leave all others untouched.

When I edit the same mission on any other PC, which are German language Windows 10 PCs, only the .ger file will be updated.

The Server 2016 creates the .list file, the Windows 10 PCs empty it.

It's strange, I have no clue what's going on here...

Cheers!

Mike

Did that. The .list file will immediately turn empty.

The language.cmd is there exactly because the Mission Editor does not do that automatically for me.

When I edit the mission on our dogfight server, which is an english language Windows Server 2016, it will only update the .eng file and leave all others untouched.

When I edit the same mission on any other PC, which are German language Windows 10 PCs, only the .ger file will be updated.

The Server 2016 creates the .list file, the Windows 10 PCs empty it.

It's strange, I have no clue what's going on here...

Cheers!

Mike

Can you describe your process on the German PC please. Do you save once to generate the .ger file (and a blank .list file), copy the .ger file to the other language files, and then save again, getting a blank .list file again?

Eh... what?

I open the .mission file, click "save" and get an empty list file.

And/or I open the .mission file, change the mission description, save it, and besides the empty .list file, I get an updated .ger file, but all other language files stay as they are, regardless the content.

Cheers!

Mike

Eh... what?

I open the .mission file, click "save" and get an empty list file.

And/or I open the .mission file, change the mission description, save it, and besides the empty .list file, I get an updated .ger file, but all other language files stay as they are, regardless the content.

Cheers!

Mike

OK, so I assume that you then copy the updated .ger file to the other language files so that they match.

I thought that the language file issue may be causing the .list file issue in some way, but it seems that there is another reason for your problem.

FYI, I found that the only instance where the language files are kept in sync are when you add a new icon translator or subtitle translator. If you change the title or description on the icon translator or the subtitle on a subtitle translator, the change is ignored in the other language files.

There seems to be no logic to this issue.

FWIW, today I decided to uninstall BoS, Steam, ... completely and reinstall just BoS/BoM using the installer file "IL2_setup_BoM.exe" from scratch again.

Guess what:

Loaded the mission file, saved it, and the .list file gets created, with content.

But now comes the catch:

I then decided, for the sake of maintainability, to change the mission style to "Single" and add a player plane to it, so I could test it standalone without having to restart the dedicated server each time.

Of course I saved the mission to the "Missions" folder now.

I can load the mission in the game, but the .list file is empty again.

Okay... I thought "maybe that .list file is not needed for Single player missions" so I reverted the mission back to Deathmatch and saved it to the "Multiplayer/Dogfight" folder again.

Same thing like before, but this time... empty .list file again!

And now I'm sitting here trying to get back the .list file with content like I've head today in the morning. No chance.

That's weird to say the least.

Cheers!

Mike

Wacky Idea:

1. In the Tools menu, click "Clear and Reenumerate Localization Indexes".

2. Save the mission.

Done. Empty .list file gets generated.

Thanks for the effort though.

It's really odd and it's even more strange that I seem to be the only one affected by this issue, and then again, on all PCs (4 in total) that I have for testing at the same time.

Cheers!

Mike

*bump*

After being able to reproduce this issue with two simple steps (run STEditor.exe, Save File) I've decided to turn this into an official Bug Report:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/33387-list-file-created-mission-editor-steditorexe-empty/

This topic can be locked now if a moderator comes around - thanks for all your help!  ;)

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror

I have been battling strange behavior with the list file as well, a couple times it has just ended with me making the list file myself (cut and paste and change values) and that allows the map to work.  Not ideal, I wish the Mission editor was a little smarter in regards to the .list file.  Definitely worth a bug report.

Indeed copying such .list file from elsewhere seems to work fine.

I'm just curious as to how much the checksums matter...

Cheers!

Mike

Storebror, as i understand, your game is installed in program file and you are using a steam version.

Try to copy in another location than program file. You can use other location to install game in steam. Search how to do it.

I'm pretty sur that your problem is link to the installation path, and that's the windows protection for that area.

You can try also to run the editor as an administrator.

Right click on the program, than select run as administrator.

Edited by Habu

Thanks for the suggestion Habu but I'm afraid that's not the case.

I've had the whole BoS folder copied to a different location already, and as described here, I can actually get the Windows 7 PC to create a .list file successfully by copying the "1C Game Studios" folder from one of the non-working (!!) Windows 10 PCs - which I did to the "Program Files (x86)" folder by the way.

That process initially leads to the STEditor.exe crashing on start with a native Windows Exception (don't ask me what it was... at least I remember there was no single word in it about the reason of the crash).

I have then changed folder permissions for the fresh copy of "1C Game Studios" folder so that standard users have full access rights and with that setting everything works fine.

On the Windows 7 PC.

Not on any other.

Now comes the next odd thing:

Today, one of the 3 Windows 10 PCs (one with a Steam Installation of BoS) suddenly decided to create .list files with content again.

I didn't change anything, didn't touch anything.

Last thing I did in fact was to edit another mission yesterday evening (.list file 0 bytes), then fly around with a friend online in BoS for 1.5 hours, then shutdown the PC.

Today in the morning, turned on the PC, edit yesterday's mission again, save it... *bang* - .list file has 522 bytes.

Don't ask me how long this will last.

Went to another Windows 10 PC for testing. Still no joy, .list file is 0 bytes again.

This issue really leaves me speechless, I neither have the slightest clue what causes it nor what "cures" it (at least temporarily it seems).

Cheers!

Mike

Try to run the program as an adminsitrator as i said, but do like that.

Right click on STEditor.exe, and Select Run as administrator.

Ah sorry forgot to tell: I've tried that weeks ago already, doesn't change a thing unfortunately. Tried it again to be on the safe side just now, no change, .list file stays empty where it was empty before.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers!

Mike

It's very strange.

Do you have an antivirus ?

If yes, can you try after closing the antivirus.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

I have different Antivirus on these systems, partly Avast Pro, partly Windows Defender.

Tried to turn off all of them, no change. Empty .list file.

As of today, the single Win 10 system that creates .list files with content still seems to work fine. Let's see how long it will last...

I'm afraid only the Devs could shed some light on this, e.g. by telling us how to enable some kind of debug log on the Mission Editor - after all I would consider an empty .list file as an error and I'd expect the program to create some kind of debug output when that happens.

Cheers!

Mike

As there are no error which is detected, log file wouldn't help.

We have to find what is the problem, then we can submit it to the dev.

Wich version of windows 10 are you running (fall creator update or previous major version) ?

Is your windows 10 update ?

I don't understand why you said you use : partly Avast Pro, partly Windows Defender ?

The fact that the .list file is empty is an error in itself and I expect the Mission Editor internally to detect some kind of error, it's just that we have no log to see what error exactly it's stumbling upon.

My Win 10 machines are all fully updated and therefore all use Fall Creators Update too.

Partly Avast Pro and partly Windows Defender is simply what it says:

2x Windows 10 with Avast Pro

1x Windows 10 with Windows Defender

1x Windows 7 with Windows Defender

1x Windows Server 2016 with Windows Defender

Initially the status was this, green=working, red=empty list file:

After copying the "1C Game Studios" folder from one of the non-working (!!) Windows 10 PCs to the Windows 7 PC and adding access rights for standard users to the folder, the status changed to:

After changing nothing, yesterday the status changed to:

1x Windows 10 with Avast Pro

1x Windows 10 with Avast Pro

So what remains is two Windows 10 PCs, both use Fall Creators Update and are fully updated, one uses Avast Pro, one uses Windows Defender.

Using Steam or "Dev" (IL2_setup_BoM.exe) version makes no difference.

Moving or copying the Battle of XXX folder to another location/drive/whatever makes no difference.

Running the Mission Editor as Admin makes no difference.

Adding Access permission like e.g. "full control to everyone" makes no difference.

(Re-)installing Visual C++ 2008 runtimes makes no difference.

Stripping all files but the .msnbin and reloading->resaving the mission makes no difference.

It's as easy to reproduce as this:

1. Run STEditor.exe
  2. Don't touch anything, proceed directly to step 3...
  3. Save the mission (File->Save), with it's default name "MyMission" to the "data/Missions" folder.

On the "good" systems, this gets me a 276 byte ".list" file.

On the "bad" systems, the ".list" file remains empty.

Cheers!
Mike
Edited by SAS_Storebror

I'm surprised that the editor work on Win server 2016, my last try on my dedicated server didn't work, but i use remote access, and maybe, the editor doesn't work in remote access. It was a few month ago i tried.

Ok for the antivirus, i thought that you use 2 antivirus on the same PC.

I don't think it's a library problem. If it was a library problem, the editor wouldn't work.

My feeling is that's a right problem or an external program.

It seems that you have steam version and dev version .

On the PC where it doesn't work, can you launch a fresh install (not a copy past from another install, download the full game) of the dev version in a directory such as C:\Games\IL2 but not in programm file.

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised that the editor work on Win server 2016, my last try on my dedicated server didn't work, but i use remote access, and maybe, the editor doesn't work in remote access. It was a few month ago i tried.

I'm using that Server through RDP connection only as well (it's hosted elsewhere, not a rig in my house), so that should be no issue.

On the PC where it doesn't work, can you launch a fresh install (not a copy past from another install, download the full game) of the dev version in a directory such as C:\Games\IL2 but not in programm file.

That did the trick on one of the machines at least, albeit with a catch:

First I did exactly what you said, plus what I did before already, so...

1. Uninstall all traces of BoS, in fact I've even uninstalled Steam completely.
  2. Reinstall BoM from IL2_setup_BoM.exe, target folder "C:\Games\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow".
  3. Start the Launcher and let it grab it's files from the net (6GB, nice for repetitive tests  :rolleyes:).
  4. Start the Mission Editor, save untouched "MyMission" file.

Result: Empty .list file.

And just out of curiosity, I did this the next time:

1. Uninstall all traces of BoS/BoM again.
  2. Reinstall BoM from IL2_setup_BoM.exe, target folder "C:\Games\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow".
  3. Start the Launcher and let it grab it's files from the net.
  4. Start the Game and login once to sync local profile.
  5. Exit the Game.
  6. Start the Mission Editor, save untouched "MyMission" file.

Result: .list file gets created successfully.

So... out of further curiosity, I tried this:

1. Uninstall all traces of BoS/BoM once more.
  3. Start the Launcher and let it grab it's files from the net.
  4. Start the Mission Editor, save untouched "MyMission" file.
  5. Find the empty .list file.
  6. Start teh Game and login once to sync local profile.
  7. Start the Mission Editor, save untouched "MyMission" file.

Result: Empty .list file.

Preliminary conclusion (pending comparative test on last affected system):

If you run the Mission Editor right after installing BoS/BoM, it will mess up something so that .list files will remain empty whatever you do thereafter.

You have to run the Game first and sync your online profile before you start the Mission Editor for the first time.

So the steps have to be "Install the Game, run the Game, run the Mission Editor".

If you have started with "Install the Game, run the Mission Editor" once (like I did on some of my PCs), you have signed a reinstall of BoS/BoM.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
  • Upvote 1

Member Posts: 85 Posted Today, 13:44 Habu, on 07 Jan 2018 - 14:32, said: I'm surprised that the editor work on Win server 2016, my last try on my dedicated server didn't work, but i use remote access, and maybe, the editor doesn't work in remote access. It was a few month ago i tried. I'm using that Server through RDP connection only as well (it's hosted elsewhere, not a rig in my house), so that should be no issue.

I did an error, my server is running Win sever 2012 R2, not the 2016 version. So maybe, i have to try again to see if it works now, or if it's an isuue with the 2012 version. But it's good to know that on 2016 and with RDP, it works fine.

For your issue, it's good to know. and i think you can report it.

If i found some times, i will try to reproduce the problem.

Storebror, i though to something else to try to fix the problem.

On the PC which have the problem, can you go in that directory :

H:\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\editor

and run the file which is nammed ResetEditorsetting. Then try again with a mission.

Did so in the very beginning of this issue already and just repeated the test on the last affected system (which I have yet to reinstall like stated in my previous post): No change.

Cheers!

Mike

I must say this .list file thing is getting mildly annoying.

I've just took a mission which I have been working on for a week, edited in hundreds of revisions, on every "Save" or "Save As..." the .list file was created successfully.

Today, all of a sudden, the Mission Editor decided to start creating empty .list files for this mission again.

Really.

Same PC, same mission which was working yesterday in ME flawlessly, today I get empty .list files again.

Dammit.

Cheers!

Mike

Eww...

Just reinstalled the whole game from scratch, 10.24GB of 8.09GB (sic!), just to see that the empty .list file would be created again.

After some experimenting with the mission, this is what got me back the .list file again:

1. Use "Save As..." to save the mission to a different folder with different name.
  2. Use "Save As..." to save it back to original folder/name.

It's weird, but that's what did the trick this time.

Cheers!

Mike