Sign in to follow this  
Tumbler-

Suitable HW for Cliffs of Dover Blitz/non-Blitz

I see plenty of topics on suitable hardware for BoS, BoM, 1976, VR etc but rarely for CloD. And as CloD Blitz is just out, nothing on that one.

As I'm a fan of the Western European front (Battle of Britain, Normandy), I was looking for these kinda topics to get some guide lines. I understand there are different game engines in the various versions:

1. original Il-2, Forgotten Battles, Il-2 1946

2. Cliff of Dover

3. BoS, BoM

Does CloD Blitz have its own engine? Or does it use the original engine?

And what do these engines/games require to get to acceptable performance (>40fps @ 1920x1080). Does CloD and the Blitz version benefit from highly clocked cpus? or multiple cores? of hyperthreaded cpus (i7?)

My foreseen rig would be based on

- i5 7400

- 8GB memory

- 1060 6GB

Hey mca2,

There's a separate forum for Cliffs of Dover here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/110-technical-assistance/

You'll see more topics on support for that product there.

More generally, Cliffs of Dover has its own engine which was originally developed by Maddox Games. It's not compatible with the Digital Nature Engine (now Digital Warfare Engine) that 1CGS/777 put together originally for Rise of Flight and then modified a few dozen times for IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad and on.

The IL-2: Dover Series is heading eventually to North Africa while IL-2: Great Battles (BoM, BoS, etc.) is going late Western Front 1944/1945 next with Bodenplatte and likely on to the Pacific after that.

I'd say your new rig will probably do nicely. I would suggest going up to the maximum Core i5 (7600) as you'll benefit from the added performance slightly. I have 8GB DDR4 memory myself and that seems more than adequate although I'm thinking about going to 16GB sometime in the next year. The 1060 will do very nicely. I have a GTX 960 and I can handle everything that IL-2: BoS/BoM can throw at me right now with frame rates between 40-60fps most of the time at 1080p resolution.

Thanks for your reply. Right after posting, I saw the other forum  :mellow:

In the meantime of managed to get a nice second hand rig at a fair price, a i5 6600 (no OC saidly), 16GB of DDR4 and a GTX 970 and downloaded CloD Blitz (4.5). With everything at max in general I get >50fps at 1080p and even >30fps with a low pas tour of downtown London, not too bad I would say.

The sim is really really nice and I love the Battle of Britain setting. I'm still struggling with all the optimal settings and being able to shoot down a plane, but all in all it's great. Africa, Pacific and Eastern-Europa are not my cup of tea, but a '44-'45 setting of Western Europe would be great (Overlord, Market Garden, Plunder). So maybe I'll switch to great battles at some point.

Hey mca2,

There's a separate forum for Cliffs of Dover here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/110-technical-assistance/

You'll see more topics on support for that product there.

More generally, Cliffs of Dover has its own engine which was originally developed by Maddox Games. It's not compatible with the Digital Nature Engine (now Digital Warfare Engine) that 1CGS/777 put together originally for Rise of Flight and then modified a few dozen times for IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad and on.

The IL-2: Dover Series is heading eventually to North Africa while IL-2: Great Battles (BoM, BoS, etc.) is going late Western Front 1944/1945 next with Bodenplatte and likely on to the Pacific after that.

I'd say your new rig will probably do nicely. I would suggest going up to the maximum Core i5 (7600) as you'll benefit from the added performance slightly. I have 8GB DDR4 memory myself and that seems more than adequate although I'm thinking about going to 16GB sometime in the next year. The 1060 will do very nicely. I have a GTX 960 and I can handle everything that IL-2: BoS/BoM can throw at me right now with frame rates between 40-60fps most of the time at 1080p resolution.