Sign in to follow this  
ITAF_Rani

Pierre Closterman : The Big Show

The Bodenplatte will be the next theatre.

I knew this operation reading this great book since I was 14 old.

The "Big Show" writed by the pilot P. Closterman who account his war memories.

Maybe many of us know this book, but I would suggest the reading to the young guys who approach the Sim.

Great piece of air war history during the period 1943-44 in Europe

Here the story of the pilot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1513883/Pierre-Clostermann.html

Edited by ITAF_Rani
  • Upvote 3

There is a new Edition out there. „Le Grand Cirque 2000“. Not sure if it has been translated in other languages, this new (French) edition contains his entire diary, not just about half of it that was originally published due to paper shortage after the war.

It sheds much more light into he leaving the Free French squadron after he lost their famous leader (flying as his wingman) in combat, Mouchotte. He also gives detailed acount about the three times he was shot down and that are missing in the original book.

But not only that, it countains also a lot of sections of an in depht interview, published in the book „Une Sacree Guerre“ (available in Kindle as well, but only in French AFAIR). He in deatail comments the chapters in his book and also corrects some factual errors in his book.

For anyone looking forward to fly the Tempest, a must read.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A must for every Tempest enthusiast

Edited by ITAF_Rani

There is a new Edition out there. „Le Grand Cirque 2000“. Not sure if it has been translated in other languages, this new (French) edition contains his entire diary, not just about half of it that was originally published due to paper shortage after the war.

It sheds much more light into he leaving the Free French squadron after he lost their famous leader (flying as his wingman) in combat, Mouchotte. He also gives detailed acount about the three times he was shot down and that are missing in the original book.

But not only that, it countains also a lot of sections of an in depht interview, published in the book „Une Sacree Guerre“ (available in Kindle as well, but only in French AFAIR). He in deatail comments the chapters in his book and also corrects some factual errors in his book.

I read the original version 40 some odd years ago. So I checked amazon...and indeed very good quality (used) paperback editions of the complete and unabridged edition (published 2007) are available. Also available is the French kindle edition. I opted for the paperback, parce que mon lycée français de 1971-74 est terrible. 

Zach thanks for the reminder there was a newer edition available. Happy New Year!

I just saw that by now „Le Grand Cirque 2000“ is also published as Kindle edition, for about $11.

https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Cirque-M%C3%A9moires-pilote-Documents-ebook/dp/B01068B5Y0/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514798597&sr=8-1&keywords=le+grand+cirque+2000

Personally, I think it is more than worth it just for the added photo documentation. Plus, if you have read the original book in your langauge, you don‘thave to be terribly proficient in French to read through the whole French edition even in very fast manner.

Happy New Year!!

Edited by ZachariasX

I have the old Bantam paperback, will have to re-read it sometime soon. 

9780553126587-us.jpg

I have that in my shelf as well!

To illustrate this thread about my favorite WW2 aviation book ever, two photographs of JF-E (NV994), the best known Tempest Mk. V flown by P. H. Clostermann while serving in No 3 Sqn. (RAF), taken in April 1945 over the Dortmund-Ems canal, near Riesenbeck (Nordrhein-Westfalen) :

post-481-0-87331000-1515244437_thumb.jpeg

post-481-0-33861700-1515244467_thumb.jpeg

• Upvote 2