Hi folks,

I might just be missing the obvious:

On a dedicated server, is there a way to enable/disable external views separately?

So far, from what I see when you use "Normal" difficulty settings, external views are enabled for both friend and foe planes.

When you use "Expert" difficulty, no external views are enabled at all, not even on ground (totally locked cockpit).

When you use "custom" difficulty, it seems like friendly externals are always enabled, but enemy externals are disabled.

There seems to be no separate setting for this.

For instance, you can't seen to use "custom" difficulty with friendly externals disabled or enemy externals enabled.

Is this correct or am I just too blind to see the simple setting for this?

If this is indeed a "locked" setting, are there any plans to change it in future?

Cheers!

Mike

I am not aware of any distinction between friendly and enemy views. When external views are enabled, they are all enabled.

AFAIK you cannot enable/disable individual views or enemy views.

"When external views are enabled" is already part of the problem: There's no such setting, at least not that I know of  :o:

Currently I'm running our dedicated test server with "custom" difficulty, and the effect is that we have external views for friendly planes, but none for enemies.

Cheers!

Mike

Crtl+F2 lets you switch to enemy aircraft. If that is the question. Dunno if that can't be switched of seperatly.

I know it's Ctrl+F2, but again:

The difficulty settings apparently permit using Ctrl+F2, as long as they're not set to "Normal" difficulty, but that's no option.

We want to have our "custom" difficulties, but if we use "custom" difficulty, Ctrl+F2 is not working anymore.

Cheers!

Mike

Well...

These are the difficulty settings I'm using on the dedicated server at the moment:

25601367828_760e670359_o.png

Result: Shift+F2 works, but Ctrl+F2 doesn't.

There's tons of AI flying around, yet Ctrl+F2 yields nothing.

Cheers!

Mike

Hi Storebor ! glad to see you here from SAS first of all.

Our test server has the same setup and it seems to me that you are right (there's always the possibility that I am making the same error). No CTRL F2 working. Checked right now.

F5 works both for reds and blue ground units.

~S~

~S~ Fenice. Long time since I've been around on Skies of Valor. I should register for your test server me thinks.

F5 behaviour is confirmed, works for both blue and red for me too.

Cheers!

Mike

There's no need: if you want to enter the server just send me a pm and I'll give you the pass.

BTW at the moment there's not so much interesting to see, because I am using the server to test missions I have builded: one by one. Settings are also oriented to testing (icons and externals help the mission builder understand what's happening...) and are not representative of the server idea we have in mind.

When I'll have finished enough maps to have a basic rotation we'll start open testings.

Unfortunately "when" depends on how much time my job will leave to me (gone are the times when we had three or four mission builders...).

In any case since you are also setting up the server, feel free to exchange doubts and impressions at your wish. I'll be more than honoured and happy. You at SAS are part of the history of IL2 and we all owe something. Skies of Valor in particular is forever in debt for SAS modact and AI planes pack, since we have based our missions on it from years now. 

There's tons of AI flying around, yet Ctrl+F2 yields nothing.

But are they flying close to you? In MP you only get information from planes that are far away. Same thing for vehicles, except NDBs. I'll try to remember to test it next time I'm online.

So you want to say that e.g. Shift+F2 and Ctrl+F2 only work when the "other" plane has a certain distance to yours?

Sorry to say, but Shift+F2 works regardless the distance (tested!) and Ctrl+F2 never works, again regardless the distance.

Once again, here is the map how friendly and enemy external views currently work ("+" = works, "-" = doesn't work)

Friendly   Enemy
Normal Difficulty       +         +
Custom Difficulty       +         -
Expert Difficulty       -         -

The issue reported here is that in "Custom" difficulty there's no way to change this behaviour, even though the word "custom" would suggest that there's something to customize  ;)

Cheers!

Mike

Sorry for the late reply.

Meanwhile I can confirm your observations, the external visibility indeed seems to have a distance component as well.

I still can't really figure as to how it works exactly.

Sometimes you can see friendlies only, regardless how close enemy planes are to your own position - sometimes you can't even "see" the enemy plane you're just chasing at 300m distance when hitting Ctrl+F2.

In other situations you can see them on the other end of the map.

Same thing, but not to the same extent (perceptive talking) comes true for friendly planes.

All in all I find this rather confusing and I'm asking myself how server admins are supposed to keep an eye on the activity on their servers without being able to even see all planes on their own team, let alone the enemy team.

Frankly speaking, the old 1946's difficulty settings where external views were completely independent from distance, icon visibility, map visibility or the like, and you could toggle either friendly or enemy externals at will, came much more handy and intuitive to me than this undocumented and uncontrollable thingy thing.

Cheers!

Mike

Sorry but I have to dig out this thread and add some latest observations:

Apparently it's indeed the distance between your own plane and the object you want to view on externals that matters most.

Funny thing is that you can increase the Spotter radius of certain objects and thereby unveil most of what is running around on the map, but this will still not enable you to watch them on externals neither with Shift+F2 or Ctrl+F2 if these actors are too far from your plane.

Now comes the catch:

Sometimes - not always - don't ask me what triggers the "if" and "how" - you can muddle through to the desired actor, e.g. by using Shift+F5/Ctrl+F5 to step through the ground actors, and if you happen to find one that's close enough to your desired friendly/enemy plane, then sometimes Shift+F2/Ctrl+F2 suddenly works for that plane, even though for a direct "jump" from your plane to that plane it'd be too far.

It's odd to say the least, and in my humble opinion, there should simply be a switch in the Server Difficulty Settings where you can enable or disable external views completely, and another one where they depend on "For of War", but in the latter case, anything that gets unveiled on the map should naturally become selectable on externals as well.

Cheers!

Mike

On 09/03/2018 at 9:04 AM, SAS_Storebror said:

Sometimes - not always - don't ask me what triggers the "if" and "how" - you can muddle through to the desired actor, e.g. by using Shift+F5/Ctrl+F5 to step through the ground actors, and if you happen to find one that's close enough to your desired friendly/enemy plane, then sometimes Shift+F2/Ctrl+F2 suddenly works for that plane, even though for a direct "jump" from your plane to that plane it'd be too far.

You need to be within 10km of the enemy you want to watch using the Ctrl+F2. More specific, the camera needs to be within 10km of the desired target, if external views are enable you can use F11 to have a "free camera mode" and use the keys W, A, S and D to move around until your camera is within 10km of the enemy and then you can Ctrl+F2 it. :salute:

Yes, that's how it works at the moment, but honestly, that's not a feature, it's a bug, either case.

If it's supposed to act like Fog of War, you should not be able to overcome it by hopping from one camera to another or by using free (F11) movement.

And if it's not supposed to act like Fog of War (which would be the natural way if a Server Operator enables external views), then the whole 10km limit becomes pointless.

As mentioned earlier, I vote for a "Fog of War" switch in the difficulty settings to clarify this once and for all.

Cheers!

Mike

It's probably a limitation to keep network traffic to a minimum. This limitation does not exist in single-player missions.

How does it make a difference in network traffic whether I'm watching another plane on externals which is 10km off my position, or one which is 100km off of it?

And how does it make a difference in network traffic whether I can reach such plane directly, or have to hop through a dozen of ground objects on externals before?

It would make a difference if far distant objects would not be replicated to net clients not being within that 10km distance at all, but that's not the case. Put a 100km spotter radius on your plane and you will see that in fact all objects are replicated constantly. You just can't reach them directly on externals, and that limitations seems rather unintentional, in other words: A bug.

Cheers!

Mike

With the wonder toys called TrackIR and VR, you can lean out of your cockpit when it's open.

Edited by JG7_X_Man

On 11/03/2018 at 1:28 PM, SAS_Storebror said:

Put a 100km spotter radius on your plane and you will see that in fact all objects are replicated constantly

The kind of replication needed for a radar dot/plane is obviously much lighter than for smooth 3d visualization. Even the planes within 10km have very simplified replication when far away. And when they cross the 10km barrier they just disappear. People have been asking for an extension of the bubble, but the devs say it can't be done :(

On 12/30/2017 at 4:33 PM, SAS_Storebror said:

Hi folks,

I might just be missing the obvious:

On a dedicated server, is there a way to enable/disable external views separately?

So far, from what I see when you use "Normal" difficulty settings, external views are enabled for both friend and foe planes.

When you use "Expert" difficulty, no external views are enabled at all, not even on ground (totally locked cockpit).

When you use "custom" difficulty, it seems like friendly externals are always enabled, but enemy externals are disabled.

There seems to be no separate setting for this.

For instance, you can't seen to use "custom" difficulty with friendly externals disabled or enemy externals enabled.

Is this correct or am I just too blind to see the simple setting for this?

If this is indeed a "locked" setting, are there any plans to change it in future?

Cheers!

Mike

It sounds like I have the same.

I run a private dedicated server for my Sqd.

I run it "custom" "Difficulty settings"

It used to have

"Navigation icons" -false

"Allow spectator" -true

"Warmed up engine" - true

When ever I run the per-saved settings this changes to:

"Navigation icons" -true

"Allow spectator" -false

"Warmed up engine" -true

I thought it was an error.

So I edited the file by hand and re-saved it under another name as well as removed the original file.

Guess what?!

When I press:

"Save and close"

or

"Save and close" + "Reload server config now"

The settings change!!!

to

"Navigation icons" -true

"Allow spectator" -false

"Warmed up engine" -true

Does anyone share this experience?