Tom_Weiss

P-40E-1 skins (WIP)

I am for the time being working on a clean base template

Il-2%2015.jpg

Il-2%2016.jpg

Il-2%2017.jpg

Il-2%2018.jpg

Il-2%2019.jpg

later on I'll make a weathered version, and this is the level of detail that I am aiming at

Milviz%20Corsair%2049.jpg

the same that I made recently for the Milviz Corsair, I hope the template allows it.

the first few skins will be metallic and later on I'll make camouflaged ones, probably using markings I made for the A2A P-40.

Edited by LOFTom_Weiss
  • Upvote 5

a few more details added to the alpha channel

Il-2%2022.jpg

Il-2%2023.jpg

Il-2%2024.jpg

Edited by LOFTom_Weiss
  • Upvote 3

Thanks !!! I am almost finished with the base template if all goes well I'll start weathering tomorrow.

not yet - I am working on the contrast now then I'll weather it, should not take too long.

I will - soon

still working on the contrast

Il-2%2033.jpg

Il-2%2034.jpg

Edited by LOFTom_Weiss
  • Upvote 1

the clean template ( two files) is now complete , 6GB - the MILVIZ Corsair template ( also two files ) when weathered ended up consuming 30 GB

Il-2%2037.jpg

Il-2%2038.jpg

Edited by LOFTom_Weiss
  • Upvote 2

This is awesome! For the bare metal skin, you might be interested in Dev Diary #178 where Han said:

The second new feature is related to the look of the bare metal parts on various aircraft - in the future, we plan to make planes that weren't painted and had a polished or matte aluminum finish. The metal parts on lend-lease planes P-40E-1, Spitfire Mk.Vb, P-39L-1 and A-20B and Italian MC.202 ser.8 (which also has a bare metal skin) will look even more realistic and authentic.

Link is: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?view=findpost&p=528352. 

Also, what I really like about your weathering is that the abrasion of the paint layers is mostly along the edges and where the rivets are. This makes the effect look so much more realistic!

Edited by andyw248

looking forward to that !

:)

the weathering is about 90% done - I have now to test it with the other skins I already made and edit it then so it works with all of them

Il-2%2042.jpg
Il-2%2043.jpg
Il-2%2044.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thanks guys !!! :)

I'll be uploading all four skins tomorrow - each in two versions: clean( air show) and weathered

Il-2%2046.jpg

Il-2%2047.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hi Tom, I love what you are doing with your skins, particularly the weathering, great work.

If I could make one constructive comment, it would be to remove all noise and weathering from the spinning prop hub.  It looks very odd seeing scratch marks rotate at low RPM.  In reality those scratches would be blurred to nothing at high speed.

That last shot demonstrates the issue perfectly.

Just noticed the US Star is on the right wing only.

Thanks !!! :)

I fixed the prop hub I also edited the roundel that should be on the top left wing

Il-2%2055.jpg

Il-2%2056.jpg

Edited by Tom_Weiss
  • Upvote 2