Deltahawkoz

Blitz forgetting Axis, Key assignments?

Hi there

Issue is I shutdown computer, come back into game at some point and the the game seems to have "forgotten" my key and axis assignments..I go into ingame settings and previously assigned keys and axis assignments are blank.  I redo.  But the problem seems to recur?  Is there some conflict with loading the confUser.ini each time Blitz starts up?  Plus Blitz seems to be giving my hardware rather long bloated identifiers...eg H_FIGHTERSTICK_USB_-D54BDEAB?  Any pointers?

Cheers

After assigning the keys and axis did you click on the save button?

Blitz seems to be giving my hardware rather long bloated identifiers...eg CH_FIGHTERSTICK_USB_-D54BDEAB? 

This ID is correct, in BLITZ joystick and etc is detect by name plus a code.

Observe if each time you need re-assign commands if this code (D54BDEAB) remain or if is used a different code, the correct is remain the same.

In STEAM interface > Settings > CLOUD > assure that CLOUD is disabled - in general this more harm than help in CloD.

Having the same problem.  I also did, indeed, disable cloud synchronization and restarted both Steam and the game.  Still the same issue.   Oddly enough, it's just the "Game" Controls Options   key bindings that keep disappearing.  All others remain and work.  The one's I set in Game Control options work once i set them... for that session.   They are gone and there are no key bindings for Control Options when I next open the game.   This all worked fine for the first time I downloaded the Blitz version from Steam early in Dec.  Looks like this might have something to do with the very latest update.  I also did use the "verification of Steam files" a couple of times.  All files match. 

Try this, set the keys, press the button SAVE AS and save this profile in different folder that Documents\1C, e.g. you desktop, can use any name but keep the .ini extension.

When the issue happens again use the LOAD button and load this profile, if this work, mean that your Documents folder are not allowing save .INI files there, due Windows UAC restriction.

What may help in this case is keep STEAM Cloud ON, because this save the used profile in the "cloud". But allow time for STEAM backup CloD when finish a game session. Close the game and STEAM simultaneous don't allow save.

STEAM Cloud is not "an evil" but players need know how use.

Issue solved:   I had left my original Cliffs of Dover version in Steam still active.  To solve all my issues, I uninstalled this version from Steam and reinstalled the Blitz version (having renamed the C drive:users/documents/1C Softclub/IL-2 Cliffs of Dover folder).  So... following instructions helps!!   I also had to be extra careful to not reassign too many original key assignments - this was also, apparently, causing some issues.   Thanks for all the effort to create this great update!! 

hi waylander. i have exactly the same issue as you had. can you be more precise in your answer when you say not to reassign too many original keys ? what does it means ?

is erasing everything and reinstalling the cleanest way to ensure everything to work ?

(i can do it, i just want to be sure it will work)

for example i got rid of the CODfolder wich is inside my user/documents folders and still when i save some key assignments, as i go back everything is blank... 

Edited by Cendresam

No problem in re-assign how many keys want,  I used to change most assignments without any "collateral effect".

What cause issue for some players is STEAM CLOUD or Windows UAC settings.

You did this?

In STEAM interface > Settings > CLOUD > assure that CLOUD is disabled.

I'm having a similar problem, but can't seem to get it fixed...

I program my X52Pro flight controls in the Blitz controls screen (and everything works fine for the entire session).  But, the next day, when I fire up Blitz again, all the joystick (keys/axis) settings are erased.

Even loading one of the numerous copies of the joystick settings I created (Save As...) has no affect, as no settings change.\

Looking at the ini files themselves (in a text editor), everything seems intact.... I am seeing my controller's keys/axis set for various commands.

But, again, loading any of my created ini files has no effect on the control settings list, even if I hit Apply.

I even tried copying one of the ini files to a different drive, in case it was some permission issue... but, the same results.

I have Steam cloud off (never use it).

Looking further at it, I noticed that all the non-joystick control settings (keyboard assignments) are still intact.... but anything mapped to either my X52Pro's buttons or axis has been stripped away (in the Blitz control edit screen... not the ini file, where everything is still intact).  Yet, if I select a command (in the control settings screen), and then click Change (to assign a control to it), it does recognize and map my X52 (buttons and axis) fine... otherwise, I would think that it isn't recognizing my controller for some reason.  But, it DOES... if/when I assign a command in the control settings screen.  That assignment stays, until I reboot the sim (and, again, the ini file is intact).

Running CLOD:Blitz (Steam version, always allowed to update) on Win7.

Again, everything WORKS for every mission I play, after I program the controls... but it is wiped out after I shut down, and loading any saved control ini files has zero effect.

No mods or modifications.  Just vanilla Blitz.

Edited by ladlon

Hi ladlon,

Are you unplugging the controller at all in between flight sessions? Sometimes this will cause the joystick ID to reset in the config files.

Also make sure that in the Device manager properties for the stick that the 'Allow Windows to turn off device to save power' option in the Power Management tab is off. It might take a little bit of searching to find the stick, mine was under Human Interface Devices.

• Thanks 1

Hi, ATAG_kiwiflieger.  I shut off my computer each night (and, I do unplug the flight controls and put them away, to make room for using the computer for other things).

From what I see, the KEY settings (all non-joystick entries, where commands are mapped to the KEYBOARD) are kept... but any commands mapped to the buttons or axis of the flight controls, are empty.  I have a control ini which I try to load, but it still does not restore my flight control mappings (but may restore the KEYBOARD mappings).

Thanks for your suggestions.  I checked the device manager (and it was where you suggested, in the Human Interface Devices).  I do not see a Power Management tab under the properties of the X52Pro in the device manager device list.

I'm still very puzzled, since the control mapping ini file ARE intact and present (the button/axis mappings), so you would think that manually loading of that ini file (in the control mapping screen of Blitz) would re-configure the mappings.....  UNLESS the joystick was not recognized (so, it would 'ignore' the mapping attempts of the ini, I would assume).   However, this does not appear to be the case, as I CAN select a command to map, click the Change button, and map a X52Pro button/axis to the command.... so it appears that the controller is recognized... it just appears that the button/axis settings are erased (but the key mappings are retained) when the sim is closed (or the computer is turned off... I have to verify which one it is specifically).

UPDATE: I just did another test.  I loaded Blitz, noted that my X52Pro mappings were missing.  I then set one of the commands as a X52Pro axis mapping (ex. mapped the ailerons to the X axis of the X52Pro's joystick) and hit Apply (but didn't hit Save As), exited the sim, then restarted it.  The X52Pro's mapping was gone.  I then did the same thing, but hit Save As this time, exited and restarted, and now the newly set mapping DID stay.  However, I still can't attempt to restore my previous mappings by loading my ini file.  So, I'm not sure what is going on here.

Currently, if I try and load my (complete) X52Pro controller mapping ini in the controller mapping screen of Blitz, it wipes out ALL X52Pro button/axis that are present in the mappings list.  So, it seems MANUALLY setting a button/axis on this screen works... but doing it by loading from the ini (including when the sim itself loads it when you start/restart the sim), it WIPES OUT those entries/command mappings.  So, currently, I have no way to KEEP custom mappings, as they will be wiped out each time sim is started.  If an ini is saved/created, it then serves to wipe out the settings on startup... if no ini is created, the mappings are obviously lost, since no ini is made.  Catch-22....

I'm really hoping someone can tell me how to fix this.

Edited by ladlon

12 hours ago, ladlon said:

Hi, ATAG_kiwiflieger.  I shut off my computer each night (and, I do unplug the flight controls and put them away, to make room for using the computer for other things).

From what I see, the KEY settings (all non-joystick entries, where commands are mapped to the KEYBOARD) are kept... but any commands mapped to the buttons or axis of the flight controls, are empty.  I have a control ini which I try to load, but it still does not restore my flight control mappings (but may restore the KEYBOARD mappings).

This indicates that issue are not with game engine, since INI are keeping your keys controls, the issue is caused by external factor:

Is the unplug/plug stick every day, Windows are assigning new ID for stick when you plug then next day.

An "workaround" open game go to controls and assign one axis for some control, e.g. aileron, take note of new joy ID, but don't hit APPLY.

Close game (can type Alt+F4), open you control.INI and replace the old ID with this new ID.

Then test.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi, Sokol1.  Ya, the ini seems intact, as I mentioned.  That's what made it so odd.

What you bring up, is something new and interesting, which I will definitely look into.  That would be great if it was something that easy.

What I wonder, though, is does this mean this action has to be done every single time the sim is started?  That would suck...

I previously tried something similiar, but not utilizing the ID number (...ironically, it involved everything BUT it!).  I had my 'intact' full controller ini (with all my settings in there)... but it didn't seem to want to update the settings when I loaded it.  So, I programmed a FEW axis/buttons... saved that ini, opened both it and the complete one, and copy/pasted all the contents (except for the first line, as that included the file number, which would be different) into the new 'partial ini file, hoping that the merge would work.  But, I got the same result.

I'll look into the ID.  Thanks for pointing that out.

I can't avoid unplugging the controls.  Is there anything in Windows (7) that can be done to prevent that reassignment of the ID?  There have been discussions by you about things like Steam Cloud settings (which don't seem to apply in my case, as it's off), and some other factors.

Edited by ladlon

UPDATE: Possible progress!  I looked at the variety of ini files I've created in troubleshooting this, and noted the ID.  Initially, I wasn't exactly sure where the ID info was located, but quickly noticed it being in the actual device name (X52Pro) listed in each of the mapped commands.  I did find that there were about 3 difffernt numbers in each of the ini (...meaning one number in one of the ini's, another number in another ini... and some sharing the same number).  I picked  the one that appeared more than once.

I did a replace on all instances of the ID in my 'complete' ini (where all my mappings were intact) with that ID number that I found in a few of the other ini's.... saved that, and loaded it in the sim's controller mapping screen.  I was pleased to see (unlike all the other times) that the mappings actually APPEARED, rather than any existing ones getting wiped out.  So, that appears to have worked, in that respect (...my full set of mappings are once again intact in the sim).

Now, I guess the next thing is to see if that number is used again when the sim is restarted (or the device is unplugged).

If that number is assigned, based on the USB devices currently plugged in, then it can only really be 'messed up' by my TrackIR, as it and my X52Pro are the only devices that are not ALWAYS plugged in.  So, perhaps this one time, I plugged the TrackIR before the X52Pro... and it's just a matter of me being sure to plug the X52 in first.  I'll have to see...

I previously was also wondering if the X52Pro's profile manager was messing things up.  Not sure...

But, this is definitely a step in the right direction... and kind of makes sense, at least.  I'll have to tinker some more and see.

A big thanks to ATAG_kiwiflieger and Sokol1 for pointing that out to me.  I'll let you know how it goes...

I realize you need to move your controllers out of the way, but can you plug them into a powered hub and still reach the storage spot?  I use a powered hub that is always powered on even when the computer is shut down:  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21788&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZLq0Yrd4AIVox-tBh2meQQLEAQYASABEgKI5vD_BwE  The hub usb cable is not very long so I use a male/female usb cable to extend it's reach and get it to the spot I need it to be.

I also numbered and labeled the controller cables so that if I have to unplug them I always put them back in the same connector on the hub.  Don't know if that helps but it keeps me organized.

I move my controllers around when the computer is off to work on things.  I also have two joysticks connected at the same time, one for fixed wing and one for rotary aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Well, it's an option...  I'm hoping, though, that we nailed it now, and it's just a matter of me making sure I plug in the X52Pro before the TrackIR.

Yesterday was the first time I ever ran into this issue, so I'm hoping that this was just the one time I plugged in the TrackIR before the X52Pro.

Never ran into this with things like XPlane, and I've been playing that for years.  So, fingers crossed...

On 2/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, ladlon said:

Well, it's an option...  I'm hoping, though, that we nailed it now, and it's just a matter of me making sure I plug in the X52Pro before the TrackIR.

Yesterday was the first time I ever ran into this issue, so I'm hoping that this was just the one time I plugged in the TrackIR before the X52Pro.

Never ran into this with things like XPlane, and I've been playing that for years.  So, fingers crossed...

If you are using Windows 10 go into the Device Manager and USB controllers, and make sure your system is not allowing the computer to shut down the power to your joystick/controllers.

If it is allowed to shut down the power, it will, whether or not you are using them.  And that will lose the programming you have done for the controls.

• Thanks 1

Nope, I'm on Win7.  Got it sorted, though.  It WAS just the order that I plug in the TrackIR and X52Pro....  As long as I do the TrackIR first, the ID number in the ini file matches up, and all is good.  Had me worried for a while, though!  I was JUST getting into the sim, and then that happened, and it looked like I'd have to reprogram the flight controls every single time (...and I had JUST finished sorting out all the mappings before that happened!).

All good... Thanks for checking in on that!

Posted (edited)

Guess i am having the same issue with Cliffs Blitz, see below ....

Joystick IDs and Windows 10:

I am not loosing my IDs anymore, as i just started using Devrecorder 1.02 with Cliffs only sofar. Also messed with USBdeview and JoyIDs before, but devicerecorder seems a better solution. TARGET i tried on Cliffs for a while, as i was messing a lot with TARGET as i finally got me a Warthog. TARGET is nice if you can work with it, especially in regards to the layer I-O-U-D-M functions in 'advanced' mode.

Using TARGET also gets rid of the Windows USB ID problem, and i still use TARGET with BoX (Great Battles), as i ran in to a new Warthog at a special price (with a fixed nowdefect button). Though i might try Devrecorder with BoX too. So much easier compared to editing TARGETs complex interface.

With Cliffs i just noted this: It's almost if TARGETs  S-curve settings for AXIS slows down Joystick response compared to Devrecorder.

Joystick feels a bit faster & more direct with Cliffs using Devrecorder. ====> Q: Anyone with the same experiences?

Loosing Game settings:

For a while now (with Steam Cliffs) i have to manually load my confUser.ini each time i restart the game, done via the Controls Options page.

It seems it lost the autoload function in Cliffs 4.55 sice the update from Steam.

Is there a place where this confUser.ini is addressed to auto load? In the conf.ini maybe?

ADDED info:

JUST read this: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/40182-losing-joystick-rudder-pedals-throttle-quadrant-mappings-potential-solution/

It seems some frigging Windows update AGAIN screwed up my Power Management settings in HD interface and USB General hub pages in Windows Device Manager. They were set to ON again.

These power management set to ON (under USB hubs in Windows Device Manager) also causes audio stuttering with audio recording software and USB interfaces. IMO should default to OFF, Mr. Microsoft ....

LAST EDIT:

I tested Cliffs again with all settings regarding PC-Windows Power Management: NO automatic loading still of the cofUser.ini file !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: For complex realtime Audio and Video programs these settings are also important, see picture:

Processor Power.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

Got me another keyboard ... and yep, windows switched ON powermanagement again in the HUD settings of Device Manager ..

Isn't there a tool or automatic BAT file that can take care of this automatically?