BritishExile

The game doesn't recognise my rudder pedals; are there any workarounds?

Hi guys,

I've a problem using rudder pedals with IL-2: My pedals came bundled with a driver's wheel (which they plug into), which the game can detect inputs from, but the game is unable to see the pedals.

The pedals work just fine in other games. Actually, up to now I had been using JoyToKey to map the pedals to my rudder keys so I at least had something to work with.

The problem with that solution, though, is that settings the rudder to keys makes the rudder act more like a rudder trim; pressing the pedal down puts the rudder to one side, but releasing the pedal doesn't cause the rudder to reset to its neutral position.

This makes using the rudder in dogfights a real pain. How the rudder ought work is that its position should match how hard I press the pedal, with releasing it causing it to reset.

So what I'm looking for, please, is some advice on how to get the game to recognise my pedal inputs as being based on an axis and not a key press. The solution that springs to mind for me is finding some emulator that can simulate a joystick and map the inputs from my pedals to it, but I've not found anything so far.

Anyhow, I turn it over to you guys and do beseech you to please help me out! This has been driving me rather nuts.

To clarify; Windows and other games detect the pedals just fine. My wheel is listed as a "PC Game Controller" and works without issue alongside my joystick. IL-2 is the only game to take exception.

The output of the pedals must be an axis first. You said you use joy to key to map it to a button. That's not going to work.

IL 2 can only see what you give to it. If you give keys, it will find keys.

Afaik, what you seek - a workaround to turn incremental input into a returning axis - is not there. I know WT has that option, I know what you mean.

Edited by 4./JG52_Fenris_Wolf

Ah to clarify, I started using JoyToKey because IL-2 wasn't detecting the pedals. Every time I've tried to map them has been without JoyToKey running.

I've also tried deleting the devices txt file from the game directory and replacing the USB cables. Even reinstalled Windows and did everything from scratch.

One other issue is that if I install the Wheel's drivers, the game crashes when I launch it.

Some axis need be detected inverted.

Press the pedal for one side and hold.

Open the game controls, select YAW (rudder), release the pedal.

Is this don't work try pres the pedal repeatedly and fast.

Can help too play with "senstitivity" slider for YAW, since for see then you need a axis assign, use other axis, eg. joy throttle just to be able to adjust.

Look in Windows Games Controller (Win key+R type joy.cpl) the name or axis of this pedal, with the name you can set the axis manually editing the "current.input" file.

BTW - Since this is a car (?) pedal, has one axis for each pedal, or one for both?

Edited by Sokol1

Hey Sokol, thanks! Your response was an original idea I hadn't come upon in my search thus far.

Sadly it didn't work, though; I'm afraid nothing was detected.

However, following your advice with the Windows Game Controller stuff; I noticed that the axis readings for the wheel show the pedals as "jumping" from their neutral position to the full end of the axis with one press. What I mean to say is that they aren't moving gradually, like they should. I am guessing that the pedals aren't actually 'proper' pedals and are instead more like a button press. This is really disappointing but they were cheap pedals after all (1800 rubles for the wheel plus pedals).

Assuming they are indeed just working like buttons, I guess I need a new set!

Edit: I found someone on Discord who has the same wheel as me; he pointed out that pushing a big button marked "MODE" enables the pedals as an axis xD

I feel like such an idiot, but the problem is fixed!

Edited by BritishExile

Try bypassing the input from the pedals.

So how you ll do it. Download Joystick Gremlin http://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/ , and vjoy, the link for the later one in JG link.

Vjoy is a program that ads virtual joysticks to your pc, JG takes the info from you actual devices and feeds them to Vjoy which in the end feeds the games. The bonus is that with JG you can do a ton of stuff like curves for you axis, button assignments and more. Both are free and work excellent.