xvii-Dietrich

A CloD feature for BoX...

I've been playing the recently-released Cliffs-of-Dover "Blitz" and there is one thing that ClodBlitz has that I really find missing in BoX.

Mode-1 Kurssteuerung

This is an autopilot mode which holds the heading of an aircraft, but still letting it climb or dive. In BoX, we only have a level-flight hold (which is the equivalent of the Mode-22 Kurssteuerung).

For high-alt level bombers, this feature drastically helps in holding your aspect, while you worry about engine management, optimal climb rate and other set-up parameters. As a result, it makes the climb a LOT easier, and also navigation a lot better too. It also lets you concentrate on the set-up of the bomb run itself, and consult charts and the like during the long, tedious climb.

We do not see a lot of high-alt bombing in BoX, which I think is a pity. There are a lot of challenges and reasons behind this. However, on returning to ClodBlitz, this is one thing that immediately struck me. A flight from Creil to Portsmouth climbing up to 6500m was moderately straightforward with the Mode-1. It would be great if we had that in BoX.

What do you think?

Also, are there any other ClodBlitz features that would be really good to have in BoX?

• Upvote 5

there was some talk about this a 2 years or so ago...didn't lead to much sadly. still something i'd love to see. especially for climbing in the Heinkel that should be great

• Upvote 3

It would be nice to have some basic drawing instruments available on the map too. Compass and a ruler, at the very least...

Edited by Leifr
  • Upvote 2

I'd like to see the percentage of the Throttle,Mixture,Pitch etc. permanently on a moveable and editable window (which can of course also be turned off),like it's possible  in CloD.

1. The AI is miles ahead,compared to the relative primitive one that we have in BoX now.

2. The radio comms menue! The player can give individual orders to the entire flight,each groups or single plane..and it works^^ Once you get the hang with the number combo´s its easy to use. Not to speak about the ATC,who gives you detailed infos about everything the player needs for his mission.

I wish we had something like this in Box!

Edited by Semor76
  • Upvote 1

Goodness, next thing you will all be wanting click pits LOL.

Two very different games , each with it's own uniqueness...

I said this very early in the program, when we got the PE 2 and HE 111. Not only is it a approvement for what we have it is also more realistic. I really miss the slightly more complexity in the bombers, being able to assign a rotary for trim, assign bombsight features to knobs and axis. In this COD is much better, however I read people having problems with control interfaces in Blitz.

I will test out Blitz when I get more time available, I really miss the bombers in that game and the 110 and now the Beufighter

• Upvote 1

And with that, many things to learn from each other.

I am very much fond of how scoring is handled in CloD,  with partial kills being credited, and less deterministic "x was shot down by y" announcements.  The current BoX scoring is very "shooter-like", and promotes an unchivalrous overtone of rude competitiveness among players which is not observed in CloD. 

I have concluded that this is in no small part due to the manner in which scoring is presented:   CloD does not announce a kill until the victim aircraft has finally de-spawned.  At that moment, it announces the names of all players who have inflicted any damage to that airplane during his sortie, and percentages are tallied to player's scores respective to their contributions.  

While this difference appears trivial and inconsequential, it has observable results in player interactions.  The lack of a deterministic "moment of defeat" influences subtle decisions that foster vastly more authentic player behavior in MP.

More interestingly, even if the victim airplane gets nursed back and landed safely, partial kill credit will still be granted proportionally to all who have claimed it.  This promotes an "overclaimed" scoreboard for both sides, but in practice, it is perceived as wholly fair. Enough so that is, that squabbles over char about who should or shouldn't have gotten a kill for what  are surpassingly rare.

The delay between one's defeat and the revelation of the victor, also has the advantage of allowing that the victim is no longer in an immediate post-defeat state of mind upon his opponent being identified to him.   This makes a world of difference in how the whole experience is perceived, removing a lion's share of any potential for personally directed antagonistic regard. (aka: "getting pissed at dude")    Thus, CLoD allows a victim a few vital moments to "chill" before identifying the person who may have caused his frustration. 

CloD similarly announces a safe landing by any player upon him coming to a full stop.  This similarly misunderstood as "unimportant" feature, promotes a semi-subconscious motive for RTB'ing. For the notion of peer acknowledgement of one's success is ever present in players' minds. 

This relates to the very foundations of why many players consider multiplayer a more attractive proposition than fighting the machine. In no small part, the understanding that one's actions are being perceived and regarded by others (though often misread) is a major validating factor, which consolidates the game experience through deep psychological mechanisms of the brain that are intrinsically linked to mankind's evolution as a social species.  In short:  Activities done as part of a group, are far more powerful than individual experiences.   In practice, the "idea of what others think of you" is the key driving force for multiplayer.    

The ultimate result is a vastly more friendly community, with none of the genuine animosity across sides that plagues the BoX series.   Also, nobody gets aggravated over "stolen kills", for that is not possible with the partial credit system.

In conclusion,  CloD has (very likely by chance) created an environment in which the behavioral driving factors of online play are optimally suited to promote what I strongly believe must be the very best multiplayer experience in all of gaming.  There are many lessons that can be learned from it, both for academic purposes as well as for improving the experience of similar games.

Edited by 19//Moach
  • Upvote 3

I might add that I do not expect them to change anything, for now. But for bomber / multicrew pilots COD is actually a better game, much better. For single engine I say BOX series is better in so many ways. 

I would guess there would be room for more complexity on the bombers after a while. It would be deeply appreciated , new pilots of this game would probably have a reference to other games with bombers if they choose to fly them, totally new pilots tend to fly fighters anyway

• Upvote 1

What you say applies to Star Trek and Star Wars, but CLoD and BoX are sequels in the same universe, they share the name "Il-2 Sturmovik", and actually belong to the same brand and the same franchise.

• Upvote 1

What you say applies to Star Trek and Star Wars, but CLoD and BoX are sequels in the same universe, they share the name "Il-2 Sturmovik", and actually belong to the same brand and the same franchise.

Two very different game engines, developers,  and code. But yes both owned by the same parent company, 1C.

• Upvote 1

I know all of that, my point is that they should not be that different. It's not unnatural to expect from BoX what we are already accustomed to in 1946 or CLoD.

• Upvote 1

One well meaning suggestion turns in to a thread full of feature creep.  :lol:

From Kursteuerung to switchable gunsights to navigation aides on the map to user configurable technochat to advanced radio coms to trim on axis to bombsight controls on axis to Moach dissertation on scoring back to multicrew aircraft.  :rolleyes:

I know all of that, my point is that they should not be that different. It's not unnatural to expect from BoX what we are already accustomed to in 1946 or CLoD.

Ahhh, the classic expectations vs. reality approach.

I think Don's point is they are that different and it is a bit unnatural to expect that they should be approximations of one another.

Edited by Space_Ghost
  • Upvote 1

One well meaning suggestion turns in to a thread full of feature creep.

What doesn't take away the fact that those features would be nice to see in BoX series too.

Don't see anything "creepy" in talking about/wishing for.

:salute:

Edited by FlyingShark

On the contrary, we are all hoping for automatic throttle, automatic deflection shooting, automatic flap and gear deployment and more simplified FM's :lol: .

What doesn't take away the fact that those features would be nice to see in BoX series too.

Not sure why you removed your misguided War Thunder comment.

You do understand what feature creep is, no..?

On the contrary, we are all hoping for automatic throttle, automatic deflection shooting, automatic flap and gear deployment and more simplified FM's :lol: .

Uhhh, yeah... That's definitely what was said/implied above... Not...  :rolleyes: 

Not sure why you removed your misguided War Thunder comment.

I had another idea of what to type, nothing was misguided so here it is again for you: "for people who don't like those kind of features, there's always War Thunder".

You do understand what feature creep is, no..?

Not exactly but I have an idea of what it is (each time your fellow simmer/player talks about what he would like to see in the game, immediately shoot it off).

As long as we don’t get click-pits, I’m all for additional historical features. I trust the devs to know which ones are feasible to implement without drowning in feature creep.

• Upvote 1

As long as we don’t get click-pits, I’m all for additional historical features. I trust the devs to know which ones are feasible to implement without drowning in feature creep.

I think that too.

There were many heated debates about this very thing back in the early days of BoS development. 

Whilst they share the same namesake, two very different games accomplishing much of the same thing in very different ways. We are fortunate to have Cliffs of Dover with official support now by Jason/1CGS, so we have two WWII sims that give us much in their own spectacular way.

And I love them both for what they each have to offer, albeit Cliffs is sideline for me for a while until it gets VR support. 

Back to the OP and his request , there is a full autopilot one can toggle on and off, which the plane would follow the mission parameters including altitudes. However it handles everything else as well, so realize that would not exactly be what you are hoping for.

And I love them both for what they each have to offer, albeit Cliffs is sideline for me for a while until it gets VR support.

I love them both too but I prefer the Cliffs way.

Back to the OP and his request , there is a full autopilot one can toggle on and off, which the plane would follow the mission parameters including altitudes. However it handles everything else as well, so realize that would not exactly be what you are hoping for.

Maybe if we keep the current system and the OP's request as an option for those who want it.

1. The AI is miles ahead,compared to the relative primitive one that we have in BoX now.

2. The radio comms menue! The player can give individual orders to the entire flight,each groups or single plane..and it works^^ Once you get the hang with the number combo´s its easy to use. Not to speak about the ATC,who gives you detailed infos about everything the player needs for his mission.

I wish we had something like this in Box!

Neither of these 'features' work properly, if at all, in Cliffs.

• Upvote 1

Ok so discussions like this, a constant comparing of the two products where everyone picks a side, gets very tiresome and old and causes nasty fights. Not going to tolerate it and go back to how things were in the past. Take it elsewhere.

Jason

• Upvote 2