If the Po-2 makes it into the game, and there is actual gameplay that comes with it, I'd love to have those stretcher pods on the wings and be able to fly medivac missions into and out of hotspots to pick up wounded for points.  Seeing a score for lives saved, rather than lives taken would be very nice indeed. 

Rescue downed pilots who survived a crash landing?  Can rescue downed pilots who only care about their kill streaks in TAW ;)

Rescue downed pilots who survived a crash landing? Can rescue downed pilots who only care about their kill streaks in TAW ;)

No.

I was thinking of rescue and evac missions to friendly targets which have been attacked. Currently the opposing team gets points for destroying ground targets. My thought was ambulance and transport flights could win back a portion of those points from the enemy by taking out wounded and bringing in reinforcements.

No.

I was thinking of rescue and evac missions to friendly targets which have been attacked. Currently the opposing team gets points for destroying ground targets. My thought was ambulance and transport flights could win back a portion of those points from the enemy by taking out wounded and bringing in reinforcements.

Oh, boy -  you really missed the entire point of my post. 

I was just making a suggestion about the kind of possible gameplay with it.

Oh, boy -  you really missed the entire point of my post. 

I was just making a suggestion about the kind of possible gameplay with it.

Oops, I really did.  I thought you were being sarcastic  :ph34r:

Rescue downed pilots who survived a crash landing? Can rescue downed pilots who only care about their kill streaks in TAW ;)

No.

Why not both?

Points available for a static target objective would allow for some fierce and interesting battles as Po-2s (and no reason why it couldn't also be Ju 52s, if points were available) try to medevac the wounded under fire, while the enemy tries to knock down the relatively easy targets, requiring friendly fighter cover, and suddenly there's the scene set for a huge aerial engagement.

Meanwhile, if a fighter pilot's kill-streak could be rescued by someone trying to rescue them, then there's a really compelling reason for fighters to treat rescue flights with respect and give them cover and support, integrating them into the team rather than the current mets where everyone is a lone wolf and then complains on chat about it.

It truly is a pity that the MP Mission Designers don't realize the Potential Mission Diversity that the Non-Combat Planes posess. There is so much Potential yet to be unearthed.

And I believe if there ever was a purpose to having anything close to resembling a "Rearm and Refuel" Mechanic, it would be for the Ju-52 and Po-2, as a Lazarett, VIP or Mailplane.

And when the Tanks come, they will require more complex/diverse Ground Mechanics, which can also be used by the 52 and Po-2. This means Frozen Lakes, and Rivers, as well as other Firm Surfaced Open Areas and Beaches, large enough, could become simple, forward Landing Zones. This is what I hope for at least.

As a Bush Flyer by Heart, I really hope we get more realistic Ground Dynamics for added Fun.

How about this for the Ju 52 career for early Moscow and early Stalingrad(when the Germans were still attacking). The German tank spearhead has run out of fuel somewhere. You must fly to the objective and drop fuel to them so they can continue their advance. It will be the standard format of the ground support mission tank attack, except all the German tanks will be stationary and clumped together at the frontline. Only after you drop supplies to them, will there be a short pause(as the tank crews all refuel their tanks), and then they will start advancing on the Soviets and the usual tanks vs AT guns battle will play out.

It will be a nice prelude to the later missions of both campaigns anyway(both involving flying overloaded Ju 52s into Kessels in the snow under heavy AA fire in terrible weather conditions while having to pass over land with hundreds of Soviet tanks and trucks milling around.

A Ju 52 career should only count a mission successful if the plane makes it back to base though, due to the nature of its missions.

Edited by hames123

How about this for the Ju 52 career for early Moscow and early Stalingrad(when the Germans were still attacking). The German tank spearhead has run out of fuel somewhere. You must fly to the objective and drop fuel to them so they can continue their advance. It will be the standard format of the ground support mission tank attack, except all the German tanks will be stationary and clumped together at the frontline. Only after you drop supplies to them, will there be a short pause(as the tank crews all refuel their tanks), and then they will start advancing on the Soviets and the usual tanks vs AT guns battle will play out.

It will be a nice prelude to the later missions of both campaigns anyway(both involving flying overloaded Ju 52s into Kessels in the snow under heavy AA fire in terrible weather conditions while having to pass over land with hundreds of Soviet tanks and trucks milling around.

A Ju 52 career should only count a mission successful if the plane makes it back to base though, due to the nature of its missions.

Yes, it this sort of supporting content along with COOP that would give me a reason to buy these planes. Right now flying these planes in TAW ( or God forbid WOL ) is an exercise in futility. Add in the Air-Marshal to vector in cover and you really have a crossover game that could bring in regular non-combat flight sim enthusiasts. Oh to someday fly a DC3 into Kunming over the Hump while avoiding Zeros and crashing into the Himalayas, all while on comms, heaven!

Sorry it took so long Gambit but just checked back and the last few posts will go nicely with the Air Bridge missions.  Germans shuttling troops out en mass in JU 52s and the Russians could rescue downed pilots in the Po2.  I wonder if there would be a way to mark a pilot as downed after a real pilot goes down and somehow other pilots in the COOP go to rescue the becon.  The downed pilot could wait and call out bad guys for his rescuers or he could respawn and the PO2 could still use the downed craft as a rescue mission.  Not sure if that even makes sense or if it could be done with ME?  Any way here is a good backround on the Cauldron.  Long but good read, I will post others as I dig them up. 

https://erenow.com/ww/stalingrad/21.html

Here is a cool video as well.

https://wn.com/pitomnik_airfield

Here are some pictures of Field Marshal Paulus as he was surrendering.

http://www.allworldwars.com/Paulus-in-Captivity-NKVD-Files.html

Edited by GrendelsDad

I was thinking how will we choose between woman and man pilots? Maybe women will be a modification option xD

I was thinking how will we choose between woman and man pilots? Maybe women will be a modification option xD

I was more concerned that the pilot and observer get Summer and Winter flight uniforms for the Po2.

My point was that a female crew be the default for the Po2 but there already male models so it may be possible to have both...

Appropriate uniforms might be more worthwhile and would justify a new human model. That's how it makes sense to me to make a female one this time that perhaps could be re-used if customizable crew was introduced later.

Thanks, couldn't find the announcement (but recognise the picture now I see it).

Edited by Halon

Po-2 armed with rockets, fixed forward firing machine guns, tubes for incendiary bombs, and containers with anti-tank bomblets.

Note that there were series produced Po-2 with a fixed forward firing synchronised gun, but they weren't very numerous. The pictures shown show a field mod.

It is also interesting to note that the He-111 was one of the most successful night fighters against these (producing several access, including ones with 11 and 15 victories). So it'd be pretty cool to have a He-111 collector plane which doesn't carry bombs but which has a flash suppressor on the MG-FF, an AI upgrade to make it more aggressive, and maybe a couple of WB-81 gunpods on the ETC-504 racks (real field mod). You can read about them in this post: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25575-what-are-your-impressions/?p=396216

post-16012-0-16539800-1515994080_thumb.jpg

post-16012-0-90561400-1515994090_thumb.jpg

Edited by Avimimus
  • Upvote 1