The Game Screenshot Thread

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Screen_210422_212809.thumb.jpg.d2b0aa6161eac11ee0594720e68c7f04.jpg

"Gee, I hope I won't hit a bird..."

Not to worry, with your Fuel Flow at 80,000 pounds and hour and only 4500 pounds on board...you'll be walking home anyway. :P

Then again, not being a C model guy, perhaps that 4488 will be your gas over your waypoint 01 in another 2 mins 47 secs rather than current FOB. In that case you currently have (working backwards...) 2:47 is 2.8 minutes and your FF is 1333 ppm so...2.8 times 1333 = 3733 pounds burned to get to WP 01 meaning you would have 4488 + 3733 = 8221 pounds FOB. 

Why in the hell are you tricking an old man into doing math in public? Bastige :umnik2:

Edited by busdriver
  • Haha 3
6 hours ago, busdriver said:

Why in the hell are you tricking an old man into doing math in public? Bastige 

I was hoping to trigger ye olde man's desire to fly that fancy aeroplane (again) 😜

I wonder which blimp but that FFM in there - if that thing is getting pegged at 80,000pph anyway,  is that supposed to tell me something about my flying? 🤣

4 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I was hoping to trigger ye olde man's desire to fly that fancy aeroplane (again) 😜

I wonder which blimp but that FFM in there - if that thing is getting pegged at 80,000pph anyway,  is that supposed to tell me something about my flying? 🤣

That’s just mean. Here it is 0320 and I’m at the kitchen table in the dark at my iPad because I woke up thinking about this thread. It reminded me of one of my last hops in the jet before going to my airline gig.

Back in the Jurassic Era we had a qualification known as VLA (Very Low Altitude) that required us to fly at ~100 feet AGL and 540 KIAS. There I was getting chased by an IP who was telling me to “push it up...see if you can get 600.” My silent response was “f*ck that, I’m a dead man if I take a bird.” Suffice to say I had little interest in being VLA qualified. But oddly I had no discomfort at 300-500 feet and 600 KIAS. We had no radar altimeter so we just “eyeballed” it with the baro altimeter.

And...seeing 2000 pounds as the Bingo fuel is another thing. My dinosaur brain tells me, that’s how much you should have on Initial if you don’t have the pattern to yourself...and how once my highly experienced Flight Lead (former Aggressor dude) kept mumbling his fuel state coming back from a distant MOA. He landed with fumes without declaring Minimum or Emergency Fuel.

• Upvote 1

I think the 2000lb value is the default-setting. I happened to have the Bingo-page up, because I was trying out the tanking-mission. It's so much easier than with the cat. Mostly because you can see the friggin tanker! In the cat (especially when sucking gas off a Viking), the only thing you see is part of a wing and the tail sticking out from your canopy-frame. And then there's the part where you're being sucked into the tanker - there's a spot from where you have to throttle back significantly (in the cat), or else you're just being sucked forward. It's also there between the Viper and the KC-135, but it's a whole lot less pronounced.

Fuel-planning (and the whole ADM-process in general) is a thing that sims seem to skip altogether. Even when you're flying a supposedly "realistic" mission, people just top-off their tanks on the tanker (as opposed to the fragged amount of gas), but that might also be a limitation of the game. There's still lots of rough patches to fix in DCS (the whole AI behaviour in the pattern makes your toenails roll up!), but it's slowly getting there...

Hope to see you one day in DCS, flying around and doing rolls at 50ft above the airfield 😁

• 2 weeks later...