Sotka94

Your plans for the career mode?

Hi everyone! First-time poster, long-time lurker here. :salute:

I'm extremely excited for the upcoming career, and so decided to start this thread to discuss everyone's plans for it. Personally, I've laid plans for a few career possibilities:

- Assuming we can start a career in the Battle of Moscow and play as the same pilot until the end of Kuban, I'd start careers in BoM for both Bf 109 E7 and the I-16 and try to survive all the way through Moscow and Stalingrad to Kuban, imagine how attached one could get to one's pilot and virtual squadmates on such a long haul :)

- BoK: Henschel Hs 129 career, because it's the Allmighty Duck. Need I say more?

- BoK: Spitfire career. I need this. Bodenplatte's Mk IX is still some time away and a western front career even longer, and I haven't managed to get into Cliffs of Dover yet (it feels clunky and the control setup is one massive headache for me). My flight simming hobby is now barely a year old (RoF since last year's autumn, bought BoS only this summer), but the Spitfire is already one of my favourite birds to fly.

- BoK: P-39 career. Really curious about this eccentric-looking but beautiful plane! I'm not very familiar with what it can do yet, or how it will feel to fly one, but will definitely give it a go.

- BoK: A-20B career when I'm feeling brave enough, and put some effort into learning the correct use of a bomb sight.

Do any of you have a specific career in mind that you want to try? What are you looking forward to the most?

All the best!

Edited by Habsburger
  • Upvote 2

Pretty sure I'll have a half dozen going before too long.

A P-39 career for sure. A Bf110 and FW190 campaign. Spitfire V campaign. A Yak campaign and probably an IL-2 campaign.

I'll also probably get into doing some bomber campaigns... Ju88, Pe-2, A-20B... yeah I'll be flying everything in Career Mode before too long.

I’d like to work my way up from the lowest rank, starting in the LaGG with the odds against me. We’ll have to see how good the campaign is though. I really hope it isn’t some robotic, underpopulated MP-lite experience.

Probably Yak and 109 campaigns.

The AI is awful at flying the 190 and not much better with the La-5.  Relying on the AI to be a decent wingman in those two sleds is asking for trouble.

Hopefully this will be somewhat better than the ROF career in regards plane switching.

In ROF it often happened that the squadron had several plane types available and it could give you different plane every mission, whih was not good for immersion / learning curve.

This was much better before I bought all the planes, because when I had only few of them, the game had me to fly only the ones I had :-)

I`ll be flying pretty much everything over times.

There´s 34 planes in game after Kuban release and career takes a long time if starting from Moscow, so it`s going to be long project to fly at least one full career in all planes  :) . Hs-129 will be one of the first careers for me, that`s for sure.

I will probably start as a Stuka or Il-2 pilot in Moscow and try to survive to the end of the war. Dead is dead, of course. I will start a new career on the day that my pilot is killed, same plane, and then see how long he lasts.

Edited by hames123
  • Upvote 1

For me it will be 109G and La5 cereer in Kuban and after that I will start as a Bf109E pilot in Moscow.

I will probably start as a Stuka or Il-2 pilot in Moscow and try to survive to the end of the war. Dead is dead, of course. I will start a new career on the day that my pilot is killed, same plane, and then see how long he lasts.

+1 for dead is dead, I'll start a new pilot the day after the previous one dies or is captured, as I wouldn't expect a battle casualty replacement to arrive the same day. It would be really nice if when I do this, that the squadrons previous history carries over to the new career, including my dead pilot, and the previous squad roster.

Not sure how career is likely to work, but I think I'll start a play through hoping that a single career, or multiple careers (Because death, capture) following a single squadron per BoM/ BoS /BoK. I suppose its unlikely that any one squadron, fought in all three campaigns for either side, so my guy will have to request / be transferred when the end of a campaign comes. 

I loved the career in RoF, I still play it occasionally, had a quick blast light night. Still got a long way to go, its only October the 27th 1917 and my latest rookie pilot has 7 kills already. He's only been at Jasta boelcke for less than a week. If he survives for 2 weeks under my control then he will be doing very well for himself.

BoX career in VR is going to be so damn immersive. Can't wait ! :)

Will be a fighter pilot career for me, probably one for the Yak and one for the Spit.

Probably nothing. Not much of a career or campaign flyer.

Just hoping beyond hope that the QMB gets brought up to snuff.

Like Habsburger, I will start with early planes (I-16 Bf-109E) and then go on and on... and on...  :)

+1 for dead is dead, I'll start a new pilot the day after the previous one dies or is captured, as I wouldn't expect a battle casualty replacement to arrive the same day. It would be really nice if when I do this, that the squadrons previous history carries over to the new career, including my dead pilot, and the previous squad roster.

I abide for that as long as it was not caused by a stupid AI accident in the taxing part of the mission.

I abide for that as long as it was not caused by a stupid AI accident in the taxing part of the mission.

Accidents happen though, I'd still re- roll and carry on. My previous pilot to the current one on RoF, got taken out by flak on his first trip out lol. He was at the squadron for one day.

Accidents happen though, I'd still re- roll and carry on. My previous pilot to the current one on RoF, got taken out by flak on his first trip out lol. He was at the squadron for one day.

But not at the level  of flgith sims AI. For god's sake on the Old Il2 the AI would trample me on  airstrip  once ever 4-5 missions.

Like Habsburger, I will start with early planes (I-16 Bf-109E) and then go on and on... and on...  :)

That sounds pretty great actually. I do plan on having a couple of pilot careers that I try and carry on through all three products. That would be awesome!

That sounds pretty great actually. I do plan on having a couple of pilot careers that I try and carry on through all three products. That would be awesome!

Statistically speaking   you will  not end that  before your  rip your eyes out of their sockets from anger  (like of dieing  at the very last mission in 1945 :P )

I’ll start out with three careers:

First a MiG-3 career starting in Moscow.

Then a P-39 career in Kuban

Thirdly an A-20 career in Kuban to start learning proper level bombing.

I am so excited and I just can’t hide it....

• Upvote 1

I am so excited and I just can’t hide it....

. . . I'm about to lose control, and I think I like it . . . .

Edited by =11=herne

However, I think that they really need to take a look at the missions in the career and campaign. For example, on fighter intercept missions, the enemy flight should approach from their side of the lines, and how close they are to the objective should be random. Furthermore, just because some of them are shot down does not mean that the rest will abort the bombing run, as they are still going to be attacked on the way out. They should press on with a plane mission. The Soviet bombing missions really should not be to bomb factories in towns much, since the Germans would not really use the much. Instead, they should go after supply dumps(lots of boxes stacked everywhere and trucks), troop concentrations(a large amount of parked halftracks and tanks) and train stations.

There are quite a few odd quirks with the current mission design that the devs should try and iron out. For example, there are always fighters from both sides fighting at the waypoints, but you never see a friendly supply column getting attacked by Il-2s. There are never any ships on the Volga, or Stukas attacking them, despite those ships being subjected to non-stop bombing.

If you are not in a ground support mission, there will be no attacks on the ground, and you are always on the side of the defender in the fround attack mission. You never get ordered to attack the enemy AT guns to ensure the success of the attack. For some reason, the Soviet tanks attacking are almost always BT-7s and T-70s, with maybe 2 or 3 T-34s supporting them, when 90% of the Soviet tank attacks should be with T-34s after the Operation Uranus phase. This is very important, since almost all the Stuka missions after the start of Operation Uranus will be supporting the infantry as they try and repel the Soviets(while the period before that would mostly have them bombing enemy AT guns in support of their own tanks, bombing ships on the river, bombing trains and trucks, and attacking buildings in the city itself, and for a period attacking trucks crossing the ice on the Volga). For the Germans, Panzer IIIs should be way more common than they are now, and perhaps the Marders can be placed with the AT guns in those missions where the Soviets are attacking, their thin armour makes them very bad assualt tanks, especially when compared to the Stugs.

As an aside, maybe when the attacking tanks in the support missions overrun the defenders, there is a chance of a tank counterattack spawning to attack the enemy tanks? Right now these missions seem so repetative and boring.

Details like this are what makes a good career great, so I really hope the devs put in some time to look into this.

Herne, how many pilots have you lost in Jasta Belocke? They fly a few missions a day, so the pilot turnover rate is high. It must take ages to get to the end of the war.

Edited by hames123

hames, at this point everything they have said is that they have thrown the old mission templates out and built entirely new ones. Even the most recent announcement from Jason suggests that they have worked hard to make the missions Career mode generates interesting and better than before.

hames, at this point everything they have said is that they have thrown the old mission templates out and built entirely new ones. Even the most recent announcement from Jason suggests that they have worked hard to make the missions Career mode generates interesting and better than before.

Thats nice. I like the company and they seem to work rather hard, so that is good. It is just that I have just done 4 such ground attack missions with a Stuka in the Ring of Death chapter, and they were very similar. Enemy tanks advance on AT guns, we bomb the enemy tanks, more enemy tanks blow up due to our AT guns, they overrun our position and destory our AT guns. They decide to sit still in our former frontline position instead of advancing further because the commander has decided that it is time to break out the Vodka instead of continuing the advance. And every single time it was BT-7s supported by 2-3 T-34s.

All the same, there is something sort of nice and Eastern Fronty in turning up to help our infantry, bombing the enemy, then having to leave the poor chaps once our ammunition is gone, and have to fly back to base hoping that no Yaks will pounce on you, and that your contribution was enough to help the chaps on the ground repel the attack.

Edited by hames123

Bf 110 G-2 on Kuban and most likely P-39 on Kuban as well (depending on how much i'll like the plane when it gets released) or LaGG-3/La-5 on Stalingrad.

I'll fly them all. The only thing I hope.. and it's really the ONLY thing I hope for is the ability to run the campaigns in Custom difficulty.

I'll fly them all. The only thing I hope.. and it's really the ONLY thing I hope for is the ability to run the campaigns in Custom difficulty.

Most definitely hoping for this!

I hope 1c does make the whole carreer mode more open, so modders can make the carreers like all the senarios that have been write down in this topic.

They should allow some mission makers to write special missions, submit them to the devs, and have a random chance of just coming up in the career. They would have to be very rare(so you do not get the same mission on your next career), but a bit of human touch every now and then would be nice. A specially scripted mission, like protecting a flight of Ju 52s carrying wounded out of the Kessel, with the big Red Crosses on the wings. Or having to find and kill an enemy commander visiting the front by strafing his car. All sorts of possiblities.

Most definitely hoping for this!

you fly in VR, I think (me as well)? Sometimes we need those darn icons, don't we..   But everything else should be on Extreme! :)

Anything and everything, 110, Heinkel, A20, Stuka, I16 - oh, and Spitfires for Reginald and Mr. Potlocket, I presume. 

I'm looking forward to the boost this feature will give the product more than anything.

I doubt I'll have time to fly it much for a while.

Ironically, for the longest time I was a SP pilot, and was really excited by the upcoming career mode. But in recent months I've really gotten into MP, so I don't know if I'll ever do a career.

I did love the career mode in ROF, mind you.

Ironically, for the longest time I was a SP pilot, and was really excited by the upcoming career mode. But in recent months I've really gotten into MP, so I don't know if I'll ever do a career.

I did love the career mode in ROF, mind you.

You'll circle back around most likely.

I remember in the old IL2 I went from SP only, to MP only, then circled back to SP (well flying both really)

Just depends on how mission oriented you are to some extent...or at least that's how it was for me.

I’m looking forward to a Ju-52 campaign, but will save it until I get command rank so I can organise the flight routes.

I wonder if the Action Point will still be a feature? Hopefully not.

I wonder if the Action Point will still be a feature? Hopefully not.

There's absolutely nothing in the editor that dictates that, so I'd bet the farm on 'no'.