Sign in to follow this  
ratheadDweezilMoon

Head centering in planes with offset reticles is wrong

In planes with reticles offset to the right (I think it's only german ones) the head is centered relative to the reticle, and not relative to the seat. This means that the flying stick is where the (real) left leg would be, and there is much more space to the left of the cockpit than to the right. In short .. The game is "literally unplayable!" ;)

I guess it makes targeting slightly easier, but it would still be nice to, at least, be able to use the "move pilot head left/right" commands to get back to the center of the plane :)

In planes with reticles offset to the right (I think it's only german ones) the head is centered relative to the reticle, and not relative to the seat. This means that the flying stick is where the (real) left leg would be, and there is much more space to the left of the cockpit than to the right. In short .. The game is "literally unplayable!" ;)

I guess it makes targeting slightly easier, but it would still be nice to, at least, be able to use the "move pilot head left/right" commands to get back to the center of the plane :)

This hardly makes the game "literally unplayable" - it's just a design choice (unfortunate IMHO), probably to make it easier for noobs to use the gunsight.  It's easily fixable by simply moving your virtual head to the more centered-in-cockpit position that you prefer (using the ins/del/home/end/PgUp/PgDn keys) and then saving that down as your default normal position (using the F10 key).  It would be nice if you could do this while still in VR mode, but it's easy enough to do by going in without VR turned on, fixing it per above, and then it will be fine when you come back in with VR on.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

You can't do that in VR. You need to disable VR and do it in flatscreen Sshadow.

Annoying and requires trial and error switching between VR and flatscreen a few times to get it right.

I made centered snap view files for the planes with offset gunsights some time ago.

Just download this and unzip.

centered default snapview.ZIP

The files have to go in your "..\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\LuaScripts\snapviews\" folder.

Thanks a lot Matt :)

@TG-55Pathercules, the "literally unplayable" part is a popular meme used when someone complains about annoying but ultimately minor details in otherwise great games :)

• Upvote 2

Just download this and unzip.

I read that as a rather annoyed "Just download this and zip it!"  :-)     Maybe I read his real thoughts? :-D

You can't do that in VR. You need to disable VR and do it in flatscreen Sshadow.

Annoying and requires trial and error switching between VR and flatscreen a few times to get it right.

I've never noticed any problems requiring trial and error - if I've got my head centered view established and saved where I think it should be in non-VR mode, it's always been just fine when I go into VR.  But I've only tried a few planes in VR so far, so maybe some of them are harder to get right than others.

But yeah - it sure would be nice if you could just make the adjustments while in VR mode. I assume there must be something weird about the programming 'cause otherwise I would think they would have made it work the same way in VR mode as in non-VR mode - but I hope they can fix it so as to eliminate one more nuisance.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Shadow doesn't even have VR.

:hunter:

@OP, the guys are on the right track. Try Matt's zip and enjoy it, it solves all your problems  :)

Hi,

thanks for the Snapviews in your file Matt, but i have a question, have u done it with notepad++ or only with the variant which exist in the game?

Because for myself, I think the Headposition is to far back in the P40 and Spitfire as well. Maybe in the Russian planes although,haven't checked them yet.

Cheers  :salute:

The simplest solution (as I wrote it already in a different thread a while back) is to lean a bit (to the right in this case), push the recenter button then, and voila - you sit centered when you sit straight.

Yes, you have to do it every time you start a flight, but it's half a second, and I push recenter anyway every time. And it's an easy and quick fix to any similar problems.

Edited by Starcos

The simplest solution (as I wrote it already in a different thread a while back) is to lean a bit (to the right in this case), push the recenter button then, and voila - you sit centered when you sit straight.

Yes, you have to do it every time you start a flight, but it's half a second, and I push recenter anyway every time. And it's an easy and quick fix to any similar problems.

That is what I do as well, usually only have to do it once after first launching the game as long as I stay in the same game session.

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion.

this will work for the german gunsights placed on the right side, but not for the ones mounted directly in the middle, like spitfire, p40, and the russian fighters.

I also have to recenter my sight sometimes during the flights, which would override said setting from the start.

Or am I wrong?

Edited by MiK684

Hi,

thanks for the Snapviews in your file Matt, but i have a question, have u done it with notepad++ or only with the variant which exist in the game?

Because for myself, I think the Headposition is to far back in the P40 and Spitfire as well. Maybe in the Russian planes although,haven't checked them yet.

Cheers  :salute:

I used notepad, but I didn't move the head back or forward, only shifted it to the left to get it centered. I would suggest you start the game without VR and move the head forward in those planes and then hit F10 to save the new position.