Jump to content

Coconut's dynamic campaign hardcore and casual


coconut
 Share

Recommended Posts

SCG_FeuerFliegen

just wanted to let you know about a possible bug.  I took off from Strassfeld in an Me262.  I landed it a little while later with no damage whatsoever.  It said "Forced Landing"

I landed coming from the east, and was on the far west end of the runway by the time I stopped and despawned.  I figured that because this runway is much longer than most in this game, then maybe the game only counts you being at the AF if you're within a certain distance of the spawn point?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

just wanted to let you know about a possible bug.  I took off from Strassfeld in an Me262.  I landed it a little while later with no damage whatsoever.  It said "Forced Landing"

I landed coming from the east, and was on the far west end of the runway by the time I stopped and despawned.  I figured that because this runway is much longer than most in this game, then maybe the game only counts you being at the AF if you're within a certain distance of the spawn point?

I have noticed the same. However, when you have landed, if you stop near the tower (about half way down the runway), you will get a normal landing. Try it!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

just wanted to let you know about a possible bug.  I took off from Strassfeld in an Me262.  I landed it a little while later with no damage whatsoever.  It said "Forced Landing"

I landed coming from the east, and was on the far west end of the runway by the time I stopped and despawned.  I figured that because this runway is much longer than most in this game, then maybe the game only counts you being at the AF if you're within a certain distance of the spawn point?

Confirmed! Had it twice, with the Me-262 and the 109 K-4. One time I went off the runway at the end of the landing, the other time I remained on it. No obvious reason for that, maybe the runway is just too loong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

 I figured that because this runway is much longer than most in this game, then maybe the game only counts you being at the AF if you're within a certain distance of the spawn point?

Yes, I think that's the issue. Thanks for mentioning that, will fix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCG_FeuerFliegen

I've been wanting to learn more about this server and how it works... I know there are lots of pages on this thread but I've also heard that the server has changed a lot.

 

One question I've been wondering, is can you find ground targets in areas other than where an icon is?  If so, what kind of targets?

 

 

I loved when I was flying around at night and spotted the headlight of a train.  Not many MP servers offer situations like that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TCW_Chattytumbler

Is more getting added to the server to make it a bit like it used to be? Doesn’t seem to be as much of a ground war as I remember from before - really want to start bombing all those industrial targets and hunt down tank columns again :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2020 at 5:54 AM, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

One question I've been wondering, is can you find ground targets in areas other than where an icon is?  If so, what kind of targets?

Yes. Every industrial group is a target, even though they have no icons. But for now, they don't really play any role, so if you are trying to maximise impact, you are better off bombing installations on airfields, bridges and vehicle camps.

 

On 11/20/2020 at 5:35 PM, I/KG1_Chattytumbler said:

Doesn’t seem to be as much of a ground war as I remember from before - really want to start bombing all those industrial targets and hunt down tank columns again

There already are trains and vehicle columns, but if you come late in the mission you might miss them. Dynamic battlefields are generated when the attacking side has 2x the numbers as the defenders'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, I've two question:
 
- I've done two or three test flights and my name doesn't appear in the stats. Is registration required?
- what's level of AAA in airbase and ground targets?
 
thanks!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No registration needed, might be a bug. 

 

AAA is super strong on rear airfield, respawns. Presence of AAA at other airfields, bridges, industry and camps is conditional, requires ground troop presence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

probably because servers never run long enough for people to settle on them or to see them. I'm myself flying almost every day past almost 3 month i see only handful times servers being open and running 

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Each mission lasts 3h, which should be long enough. The PC the servers are running on is on its knees though. I'll be upgrading to a stronger machine next week, and hopefully that will improve stability and availability.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCG_FeuerFliegen
On 12/5/2020 at 7:25 AM, coconut said:

Each mission lasts 3h, which should be long enough. The PC the servers are running on is on its knees though. I'll be upgrading to a stronger machine next week, and hopefully that will improve stability and availability.

 

that's great!  I was flying on your server with a friend the other day; a 3rd person got on, and it became very laggy and was near impossible to shoot down an AI plane because it kept jumping around.

 

 

So, still trying to figure out exactly what affects what in this server.... do factory buildings at the various cities do anything?  Also I noticed that some of those same factory buildings are indestructible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

do factory buildings at the various cities do anything?  Also I noticed that some of those same factory buildings are indestructible?

Factory buildings help run modern planes with new equipment in the next round. Or at least they will once I've implemented that feature. So for now destroying them doesn't achieve anything. To maximise effect you should target airfields, parked planes, bridges and camps:

- Destroying airfield infrastructure leads to fewer AI missions from these airfields

- Parked planes will affect plane availability at that airfield, both for AI missions and players. The effect is delayed to next mission, and players can use any number of a given plane type as long as there is at least one healthy plane of that type at the airfield

- Bridges are key to the logistics. When destroyed or damaged, they prevent or limit troop movements

- Destroying parked vehicles in camps and AA guns anywhere decreases the amount of troops in the region

 

All factory buildings (that I know of) count as factory buildings. None are indestructible, they all have durabilities as advised by the devs.

My limited and not so well informed impression is that some of the durability values seem a bit (a lot?) too high. The effect of bombs is also very dependent on where the bomb is when it explodes. If it got stuck to the 3d mesh of the objective, it works well, otherwise it loses effectiveness quickly with distance to said objective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCG_FeuerFliegen
14 hours ago, coconut said:

All factory buildings (that I know of) count as factory buildings. None are indestructible, they all have durabilities as advised by the devs.

My limited and not so well informed impression is that some of the durability values seem a bit (a lot?) too high. The effect of bombs is also very dependent on where the bomb is when it explodes. If it got stuck to the 3d mesh of the objective, it works well, otherwise it loses effectiveness quickly with distance to said objective.

 

There were a couple long, grey factory buildings with large gridded blocks, with the thin/tall smoke stacks, like in the picture below.... I dropped a 250kg bomb that landed directly on the roof.  I was flying with a friend and he also dropped a 250kg bomb on the roof as well because he didn't know I already attacked it, and it still wasn't destroyed.  Also I went to another city and saw 80% of the factory buildings were destroyed, except for random fuel tanks, etc.  I tried multiple times to destroy those, but couldn't; even though there were identical destroyed buildings right next to them.

 

 

Urban_1.jpg

 

 

 

Also, are there certain times of the day that the server is down?  Just noticed it was not available now.

Edited by SCG_FeuerFliegen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These buildings have their durability set to a high value, 50000, and this is the value recommended by the devs in their excel sheet. At some point I'll look into these values, but for now that's what they are. See

 

I moved the server to new hardware the day before yesterday. The servers are down during OS updates are taking place.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, coconut said:

These buildings have their durability set to a high value, 50000, and this is the value recommended by the devs in their excel sheet. At some point I'll look into these values, but for now that's what they are.

Some buildings/structures in some blocks don't show that they're destroyed at all. For example, the "pipes" in the "Zavodcement" block.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SCG_FeuerFliegen
10 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Some buildings/structures in some blocks don't show that they're destroyed at all. For example, the "pipes" in the "Zavodcement" block.

 

So maybe that's what I was experiencing?  Because I'd see a whole city have most it's industrial buildings destroyed, with about 10% of random ones left, and they seemed impossible to destroy.  Is this a bug with the game?  Never experienced this before.  Or is it just this server?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Is this a bug with the game?  Never experienced this before.  Or is it just this server?

Had it on our server too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
SCG_FeuerFliegen
On 12/8/2020 at 1:07 PM, coconut said:

Factory buildings help run modern planes with new equipment in the next round. Or at least they will once I've implemented that feature. So for now destroying them doesn't achieve anything.

 

By any chance has this been implemented yet?

 

Also, is there a mission timer?  I can't even count the number of times I spent a ton of time climbing in a bomber or something planning on an attack, when right before I drop bombs, it says 'mission has ended, results will not be counted... etc'   It has become very frustrating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

 

By any chance has this been implemented yet?

 

Also, is there a mission timer?  I can't even count the number of times I spent a ton of time climbing in a bomber or something planning on an attack, when right before I drop bombs, it says 'mission has ended, results will not be counted... etc'   It has become very frustrating.

 

No, not implemented yet.

 

Mission timer: http://coconutside.eu:8090/html/status.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
JV44HeinzBar

S!,

I'm interested in the mechanics that are behind your server Coconut. Unfortunately, the "Manual" hyperlink is dead or just unresponsive at the moment. Could you please verify if the link is dead and the manual is available?

 

Thanks,

HB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
=TBAS=jamesirjames

Tried to get on Coconut hardcore today.  Kicked me off right as I started my BF.  Granted I was the only one on the server, I wanted to have a fly around and check out the enemy bases...  What gives?  Is this server still fairly active.  I heard it mentioned on a youtube video I was watching the other day, so thought I'd give it a try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

coconut

Probably a connection issue, there’s no intentional kicking mechanism other than max ping exceeded. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
beresford

How do supply missions work on this server? I took off from an airfield with a number next to it with cargo, and landed at another airfield with a zero next to it. I tried opening the doors and 'B', then I tried exiting, but all that changed was my alloted pilot had switched airfields.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

=SFG=capt_nasties

sorry for being dense, but does this server have AI planes?  I am looking for a place to introduce people to IL2 online.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82

@coconut

@ all other Pilots

 

 

Hello,

 

I just want to ask, how the work is progressing?

 

I must write shortly, cause I just have a brake in my educational course at the moment.

 

As an old Coconut "veteran" of the former system, I can speak for other "veterans" I know, mostly in my but also other squadrons.

What we loved back than, was the realism and the supply system on this dynamic campaign server.

 

So, flights in the night, bad weather, bad weather during nights.

Flights where you must find moving enemy supply truck convoys, or ships, or tanks.

Flights where you could bring sometimes the bomb loadout to the airfields, via Ju52 for example.

 

When I may give constructive meant critique here:

At the moment the server feels a little bit to static on the targets, and the targets themself are lacking variation.

If we could get some of the old stuff back, what was making the server pre 2019 remarkable, it would being awesome.

 

I can only guess, that doing the work mostly alone for the server is really difficult, so please take that as really constructive feedback meant sentence.

Between work, educational course, writing my 2nd book at the moment, and the daily buisiness next to organising squadron trainings and little events, I can not bring myself more in unfortunally other than on Patreon.

 

 

Maybe the pilots here can organize some flyout nights for the Coconut Hardcore server.

Anyone of a freelancer pilot or squadrons - feel free to contact me for some possible event night weekly or so.

 

 

Best Greetings

 

Kalle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

coconut

There’s some work in the pipeline on a Moscow map and ships. But for the time being I’m working overtime, so no time left for campaign. Then comes vacation, then work on the campaign can resume in fall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...