coconut

Coconut's dynamic campaign EXPERT and NORMAL

Trying to fly on the Coconut expert today I tried to use a HE-111 to bomb at 3000-3500m but with no

navigation plane on map(serving as navigator) you cannot find any landmarks to identify you position

nor can you find your or any target for that matter with the cloud cover.

Should be Med Bombers just be grounded and just put in 110's and fighters when there is high cloud

concentration?

Your thoughts on this.

5 minutes ago, SCG_wtornado said:

Your thoughts on this. 

Adapt your tactics to the weather. So yes, that means no high-altitude level bombing when the weather is cloudy.

I have to jump into my trusty ole Bf-110 to go in low I guess but, I love flying mediums like the HE- 111

though you can't very often finding multiplayer servers without clouds.

32 minutes ago, SCG_wtornado said:

Trying to fly on the Coconut expert today I tried to use a HE-111 to bomb at 3000-3500m but with no

navigation plane on map(serving as navigator) you cannot find any landmarks to identify you position

nor can you find your or any target for that matter with the cloud cover. 

Should be Med Bombers just be grounded and just put in 110's and fighters when there is high cloud

concentration?

Your thoughts on this.

The group I fly with routinely go up to 5K in the JU-88. We have no issue navigating Moscow under winter, all it takes is practice and a fairly strict set of procedures with regards to observation. Here's a tip; you can open the map, place the mouse cursor on your last fix and then close it, when you re-open, you can work out your new position fairly easily as the cursor will still be in the old location.

Using the auto-drop also helps with cloud-cover if you can get an early sight on the target. It is difficult to level-bomb with cloud cover but it is far from impossible.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, a single lucky break can make high alt level bombing runs possible even in bad weather. A quick exploration sortie prior to going out with the big ones can help here in my experience, as Leifr says above, we've done it plenty of times on a different server in at times truly abysmal conditions.

I remember one instance where we spent 30 minutes totally lost before we finally spotted a recognisable town through a break in the clouds and managed to deliver all bombs on target.

So, in short, in can be a fun challenge if one likes situation like that.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:46 AM, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

@ above

Sorry for my stunt, which totally gone wrong at you ju88 parking guys last sunday 😄

I had lost my cool with some of the (ENTIRELY GOD DAMN AVOIDABLE!!!! GRRRRR) issues that popped up with the new fellas and opted to just take off before I started shouting at people. So I for one am totally fine with what happened as I was halfway to target already 😁

They had it coming.

To be fair, the rest had a good laugh as well.

Also poor ol Lowe was able to fly yesterday so it can't have been a long ban after all.😋

Edited by wellenbrecher
  • Haha 1

Oh oh ooooh 🤪

I did not knew about it and flew so many times over them. Supply crates at a harbour. They are destructable and I also saw a cran destroyed, but for the cran I am not sure if we did it.

Regarding to the supply system, are destroyed crates impacting heavily?

Lets say, just right now, Katla and me together destroyed round about 140 "buildings" in our 110's in just one mission.

Hey Coconut, I saw that you have the U-2VS now, but they are operating from the Normal Airfields which are an awfully long way away from anything. 

Do you have Plans, now that both Sides have Slow, STOL Type Aircraft, to introduce Improvised Take-Off and Landing Strips, like Stretches of Road and Frozen Lakes or Rivers for them? 

Can you create a Trigger System that allows for the Po-2 to be used in somewhat of a Recon Role, of course with IFR Flying Equipment only. Is it possible to Create Liason Triggers as well, so taking somewhere to the Front, Landing him there (Trigger) and then Taking off and going back home?

Not for Points, but ingame Messages of course. 

Coconut, your expert server has been dead for a few hours now.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:09 PM, wellenbrecher said:

Yeah, a single lucky break can make high alt level bombing runs possible even in bad weather. A quick exploration sortie prior to going out with the big ones can help here in my experience, as Leifr says above, we've done it plenty of times on a different server in at times truly abysmal conditions.

I remember one instance where we spent 30 minutes totally lost before we finally spotted a recognisable town through a break in the clouds and managed to deliver all bombs on target.

So, in short, in can be a fun challenge if one likes situation like that.

I had lost my cool with some of the (ENTIRELY GOD DAMN AVOIDABLE!!!! GRRRRR) issues that popped up with the new fellas and opted to just take off before I started shouting at people. So I for one am totally fine with what happened as I was halfway to target already 😁

They had it coming.

To be fair, the rest had a good laugh as well.

Also poor ol Lowe was able to fly yesterday so it can't have been a long ban after all.😋

My JU88 was next to yours and for a moment I thought I'd sat on the pan so long my engines had spontaniously combusted 😄

No harm done, we were soon in the air, and with Leifr and Wallen guiding me in i managed to nail that port good! 22 buildings i was credited with.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Hey Coconut, I saw that you have the U-2VS now, but they are operating from the Normal Airfields which are an awfully long way away from anything. 

Do you have Plans, now that both Sides have Slow, STOL Type Aircraft, to introduce Improvised Take-Off and Landing Strips, like Stretches of Road and Frozen Lakes or Rivers for them? 

Can you create a Trigger System that allows for the Po-2 to be used in somewhat of a Recon Role, of course with IFR Flying Equipment only. Is it possible to Create Liason Triggers as well, so taking somewhere to the Front, Landing him there (Trigger) and then Taking off and going back home?

Not for Points, but ingame Messages of course. 

That's an idea worth considering, thanks.

Hello,

After registering on the expert webpage with =AVG77=, I logged in today to find I've become "renamed_user_321".  I tried to change my name back to =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ, but when I entered it all, I was sent to the default windows explorer website error page.   How can I make sure my name is correct in-game and on the webpage?

3 minutes ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

Hello,

After registering on the expert webpage with =AVG77=, I logged in today to find I've become "renamed_user_321".  I tried to change my name back to =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ, but when I entered it all, I was sent to the default windows explorer website error page.   How can I make sure my name is correct in-game and on the webpage?

Sorry, I don't know.

I am new to IL2 franchise, I currently have the Battle of Stalingrad. I flew a few times on the expert server on the allied side and I noticed only the Lagg3s29 from the Stalingrad period was available to crew and fly on the server. Would it be possible to add the Yak1s69 and La5s8 to the available planeset?

2 hours ago, =AVG77=Mobile_BBQ said:

I did register an account months ago as Mobile_BBQ, Is there possibly a conflict?  If so, could you delete the old account? 

I did the rename, let me know if it's still broken

6 minutes ago, coconut said:

I did the rename, let me know if it's still broken

It's fine now.  Somehow, I came unlinked from my squad members list, but I'll have squad leader ShadowHawk send another invite when I talk to him next.

Thanks! 

~S~

Coconut, a question concerning AI spawns:

1) Are there also AI attackers / bombers or only AI transfer and fighter flights?

2) Are they all visible on the map?

3) On what does their appearance depend?

Thanks for the Great server!

And then, a proposal: Could you "pump up the action" by filling the aircraft number up to "max" (whatever that is) with AI?

Example: Max = 50. If there are 30 players, 20 AI spawn. If there are 40 players, 10 AI spawn etc.

27 minutes ago, yogy said:

1) Are there also AI attackers / bombers or only AI transfer and fighter flights?

There are AI attackers and bombers, and AI patrols too. They are restricted by plane availability at airfields: there must be sufficiently many non-reserved planes

29 minutes ago, yogy said:

2) Are they all visible on the map?

Yes

29 minutes ago, yogy said:

3) On what does their appearance depend?

See 1). For attackers, there's also an interval, up to 45min, depending on distance from the home airfield. Attackers spawn over their home airfield, fly to the objective, then fly back and land. The icon represent the location they will attack, not their current location.

AI patrols spawn on their patrol location. When destroyed, they won't respawn for 60 minutes.

There's also a limit on the number of total respawns, depending on plane numbers at the home airfield. AI patrols have their home airfield within 70km of their patrol area.

31 minutes ago, yogy said:

And then, a proposal: Could you "pump up the action" by filling the aircraft number up to "max" (whatever that is) with AI?

Example: Max = 50. If there are 30 players, 20 AI spawn. If there are 40 players, 10 AI spawn etc.

It's risky, as it can lead to "dumped back to lobby after mission is downloaded" syndrome. But I'm working on allowing more AIs.

Making it dependent on the number of players alone doesn't really work, because although load depends on number of players, it's even more dependent on the specific mission. The longer the frontline, the heavier the mission, ususally.

• Like 3

Can someone help me please?

Whilst playing on Coconut Server (Normal), I have had 8 disconnects this month (so far) and I don't know why. Is there a reason for this?

I have played on this server for over a year now and never had this problem (or at least...not as bad as this)

Any help would be appreciated.  I don't know what my fps is and don't know how to check it

32 minutes ago, No.85_Camm said:

Can someone help me please?

Whilst playing on Coconut Server (Normal), I have had 8 disconnects this month (so far) and I don't know why. Is there a reason for this?

I have played on this server for over a year now and never had this problem (or at least...not as bad as this)

Any help would be appreciated.  I don't know what my fps is and don't know how to check it 

IMO, most likely the reason is unstable internet connection. Are you connecting via WiFi? Are there sudden surges in in your internet traffic from someone else or some application while you're playing (some routers have Quality of Service settings to prioritize certain data packets over the rest, which might help in this situation).

My internet connection seems ok and my fps ranges between 59 and 61. and I use ethernet not WiFi.

There doesn't seem to be any surges.
thanks for your assistance though

Well, I've got disconnected twice (if I'm not mistaken) recently, and it never happened before, too. Only on Coconut (expert)... may be something on their side.

4 hours ago, jokerBR said:

Well, I've got disconnected twice (if I'm not mistaken) recently, and it never happened before, too. Only on Coconut (expert)... may be something on their side.

Are you sure your using aircraft that are allocated to you ? Or is it defo a connection fault I’ve been playing on coco server for over an year with zero connection problems 

Hi Coconut.

Are there many other people having a 'disconnect' problem? I have now had 9 disconnects this month.

I have checked my computer and I have no problems with it. Also, I don't have any disconnect problems on any other Server. I have been playing on your server for over a year now and this month is the only month that I have had this recurring issue. Could the problem lie with the servers you are using?

Edited by No.85_Camm

The problem could be with the server, your PC, any node between your PC and the servers, it could be the mission, it could be DServer, it could be anything really. Sorry, but unless I start getting a significant number of complains from more people I'm not going to change host again.

If you have access to an IT technician you can try and run traceroute or similar tools to diagnose your connection to coconutside.eu, but there's not much I can do from my position.

2 minutes ago, coconut said:

The problem could be with the server, your PC, any node between your PC and the servers, it could be the mission, it could be DServer, it could be anything really. Sorry, but unless I start getting a significant number of complains from more people I'm not going to change host again.

If you have access to an IT technician you can try and run traceroute or similar tools to diagnose your connection to coconutside.eu, but there's not much I can do from my position.

Ok Coconut, thank you. That was why I asked if you had had many other people having a problem with disconnect. I know there is nothing wrong with my PC......the problem only appeared this month (January), It cant be the mission as I have flown on many different missions/maps. I have also flown on other servers (i.e. Knights, TAW and The Unprofessionals) and I have had no problems there.

Oh well....I will just have to put up with it, I suppose

I have also had two disconnections this month, using ethernet (not wifi) on a stable connection. It is not the first time, I have had more disnonections before on this server. Anyway, if it is maintained at this level, it seems acceptable (although bothering)

Edited by HR_Coyote_

You can try running tracert coconutside.eu in a "cmd" window and see if anything look wrong. Stars in the output are to be expected, what can be wrong is high delays. For me I get 12 hops and 40ms delay.

Another thing to do is check for UDP packet losses, but I don't know how to do. I think some bandwidth check sites offer that option, if you find one use a server in Strasbourg, France.

Also check your multiplayer settings. By default the download and upload limit might a bit on the low side, increase it to some value that your connection allows (maybe 1/2 of what your ISP advertises).

2 hours ago, coconut said:

You can try running tracert coconutside.eu in a "cmd" window and see if anything look wrong. Stars in the output are to be expected, what can be wrong is high delays. For me I get 12 hops and 40ms delay.

Another thing to do is check for UDP packet losses, but I don't know how to do. I think some bandwidth check sites offer that option, if you find one use a server in Strasbourg, France.

Also check your multiplayer settings. By default the download and upload limit might a bit on the low side, increase it to some value that your connection allows (maybe 1/2 of what your ISP advertises).

I did what you advised Coconut and there was one thing that looked troubling and it read... 235 ms    40 ms    49 ms  be100-1042.rbx-g2-nc5.fr.eu [213.251.130.102]

all the rest (a total of 10) looked ok

2 hours ago, coconut said:

This is no longer configurable in the multiplayer settings. The values are present in the startup.cfg file though. I did some ping and tracert testing from here in Virginia. No issues with the ping, and tracert times went over 100ms once it reached Europe. No where near as high as Cam reported.

2 hours ago, No.85_Camm said:

I did what you advised Coconut and there was one thing that looked troubling and it read... 235 ms    40 ms    49 ms  be100-1042.rbx-g2-nc5.fr.eu [213.251.130.102]

all the rest (a total of 10) looked ok

That node might be the problem. Where was it in the list of hops? Was it one of the last ones?

Hi Coconut.

I too have had multiple disconnections this week on an otherwise previously stable ethernet connection. I have the same issue as Camm at the same point:

7   120 ms    21 ms    21 ms  be100-1042.rbx-g2-nc5.fr.eu [213.251.130.102]

This was hop 7 out of 9.

Edited by Leifr

I tried a couple of times tracert, and once I also got a +100ms variation on the be100- node (mine is a different one, though). I don't know if that variation means anything.

You can also try a "ping -n 100 coconutside.eu". If you have 0% loss it probably means it's DServer acting up when busy. Following the end of the latest TAW round, I think many people shifted back to my server and maybe it's a load issue. If you get problems when the server has 10 people or less, then I don't know.

I get a rather solid link via the Strasbourg node from Sofia, Bulgaria:

6    42 ms    43 ms    43 ms  be101.sbg-g2-nc5.fr.eu [91.121.215.196]

8    43 ms    42 ms    44 ms  be50-7.sbg-4a-a9.fr.eu [188.165.9.72]

Maybe the Roubaix one is routing the western traffic and is under higher load...

And ping to coconutside.eu:

Ping statistics for 151.80.230.27:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 41ms

11 hours ago, coconut said:

That node might be the problem. Where was it in the list of hops? Was it one of the last ones?

It was Number Six out of a total of ten,

This disconnect doesn't necessarily happen when there are many people on the Server. A couple of times, I have been the only one flying

Edited by No.85_Camm