coconut

Coconut's dynamic campaign EXPERT and NORMAL

For those curious about both the normal and expert servers being down, there was a msg from coconut on discord that the servers are being moved to a new host and it could be a couple of days. 

• Thanks 1

The WingWalkers are late to this dance, but are studying up and getting ready to dip our feet in the pond.  I know it sounds like Coconut is setting up a new server.....but were there certain times that this ran?  Or did it just run continually?

Also as new visitors, any advice to be good neighbors and not mess things up for the frequent flyers?

It's a 24/7 campaign, each session/ map ran three hours non stop, till the campaign was won.  So you could jump on any time day and night.

Primary advice, use the planes as if your going to be held accountable for their loss.  Because you will, and your side will pay the price.  Good idea not to use the expert to learn how to taxi and takeoff, the normal server is set up for that.  Major difference between the servers is icons are on in normal.  There is a reserve system, you put your own planes on more forward bases and they're reserved for your future use.  Planes can also be bought if you earn credits for mission accomplishment.  Otherwise first mission in a campaign you can only spawn in at the main base in all CAPITAL's and get the currently available types.  Don't worry if there's only a few types available your very first map, they always get new supply with every new map.  You technically aren't in the campaign until after your first map rolls and puts you in the stats, so if you don't have any stats the messages won't work, kind of a gray area, so keep flying out of the main base, everything will work normally next map.

Secondary advise, bring wingmen, the more the better.  Your going to need them, it's getting harder to lone wolf as the users increase and gain knowledge of the mechanics of this server.  It's not strictly a dogfight server, probably a tactical strike pilots wet dream of a server, but be warned these strike pilots also know how to kill, and very fast.  It's strike and level bombing that wins these campaigns.  It mimics the East front very well, not as much going on up at altitude besides the occasional bomber from the German side, most of the action is low level.

As the proficiency of attack pilots has grown, so has the power of AAA, don't go at any major target alone, chances are your not making it out.  Once your group has weakened a site, keep crushing it, you have whatever is left of the three hours, when the map rolls all the AAA will be reset dependent on sector supply.  Best to pick a target and keep hammering, unless the enemy wises up and starts hammering you. 

The campaign is fun, even more so flying it with others on comms.  Most of the fun is figuring out the war, what works, what don't, just like the real deal.  It'll take some time, have patients, you have to learn the war to succeed, and than the fun part, it changes over time, so you won't get bored, just better.  You may discover those planes you thought were your favorites, no longer are. 

Edited by [CPT]Crunch
  • Like 2

From coconut's discord site: 

Game servers and campaign system have been installed and are up. Stats are not up yet. I'll probably need to restart the server due to windows updates, so consider today as a test day. Feel free to join, but there's a risk your flight will be interrupted by a server restart.

Moscow map.

Edited by Gramps
  • Thanks 1

I have a new favourite server.

This is exactly what I was looking for :salute:

Edit: Will we have a Kuban campaign? :)

Edited by Ropalcz
  • Upvote 1

On 7/7/2018 at 2:51 AM, [TWB]Sketch said:

Yes to Kuban. I believe it's the next map.

And when does the map change? 

9 minutes ago, Ropalcz said:

And when does the map change? 

When you win the campaign? I thought the next campaign was Kuban, but it's Moscow (a bit more East than last campaign). Maybe it's the next campaign.

1 hour ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

When you win the campaign? I thought the next campaign was Kuban, but it's Moscow (a bit more East than last campaign). Maybe it's the next campaign.

I hope it is, I can't wait to fly FW 190 A5/R17 there :)

S! Coconut,

First of all, a BIG Thank You for your great Coconut Expert Server! So much fun since I found this server...

Coconut, I seem to see a small change with this latest Axis Airfield/map/campaign (Moscow map)... We have less and fewer planes that we can take-off with... 2 out the 4 Axis Aerodrome have none or only the JU-52 available. For example, last night, we were around 8 to 10 players on the Axis side, and we couldn't all take-off from the same place? Strangely, I never saw this on the other maps/campaigns. Is it because of the number of Airfield or more a logistic problem?

Well, I hope you can look into this...this would help our Tuesday Night on Coconut Expert server!

Hope to get news soon.

Cheers,

Gen ;)

--------------------------

We have (2) two main thing that people or having a problem with:

- Night time missions - many of our squadron pilots are not big fan of Night time flying...more because of the gamma problems?

- Having a problem finding a plane to fly... for a bigger group of pilots (from the same Airfield).

Edited by II./JG1_GenMarkof

It's not uncommon that frontline airfields have few planes. Players have to fly planes there first, and then not lose them when taking off from there. They also tend to be attacked frequently, another factor which contributes to depleted front airfields. This map is also a bit special. It's smaller than other maps, which means more flights, more losses, more frequent attacks.

51 minutes ago, II./JG1_GenMarkof said:

Tuesday Night on Coconut Expert server!

What time do you guys start? I got in there about 7pm my time and after one sortie from you guys, everyone left. :( Next time I'd like to be there when you guys start; to give you some opposition.

Official at 18:00 Pacific... but Gen may be on earlier and others filter in later.

(I tried making these two separate posts but it kept merging them and I gave up) 

Hey Coconut,

I want to add to Gen's Thank You!

I do have a request. Would it be possible to have the "Money" earned be assigned to that player in perpetuity? Or, at least have it stay as long as that player has a streak going? Not sure if the coding would allow this. 

Edited by II./JG1_Vonrd

Hi Coconut,

Would you please explain the scoring system to me.

It doesn't matter if we bomb Hangers, Factories, Aircraft, Oil tanks, Ammo dumps or Airfield storage...it seems they only score 5 points and don't seem to have any positive outcome. It almost seems as though it's a waste of time attacking anything other than Airborne Aircraft. Would I be forgiven for suggesting that the Allies are always doomed to failure? Is it a foregone conclusion that the Axis forced win every map?

During WWII, the Axis forced were suffering from lack of supplies in Russia,  but on all of these maps, they seem to have unlimited supplies of everything.

Edited by No.85_Camm
Additional info

Hello Coconut,

during your vacation all the squad/pilot profiles were erased, any hope of getting them back or do we have to create the again?

14 hours ago, No.85_Camm said:

Hi Coconut,

It doesn't matter if we bomb Hangers, Factories, Aircraft, Oil tanks, Ammo dumps or Airfield storage...it seems they only score 5 points and don't seem to have any positive outcome. It almost seems as though it's a waste of time attacking anything other than Airborne Aircraft. Would I be forgiven for suggesting that the Allies are always doomed to failure? Is it a foregone conclusion that the Axis forced win every map?

During WWII, the Axis forced were suffering from lack of supplies in Russia,  but on all of these maps, they seem to have unlimited supplies of everything.

The game scoring system can be ignored, doesn't necessarily match the campaign engines tally, nor your personal stats.  Allies don't always lose, look at the stats main page, not very often one side makes such an intense effort, they are earning it.

http://coconutside.eu:8080/en/

On 7/12/2018 at 1:07 AM, II./JG1_Vonrd said:

I do have a request. Would it be possible to have the "Money" earned be assigned to that player in perpetuity?

No, that would pretty much render the plane reservation useless, if everybody is a millionaire. Maybe I could do it if I also put a limit on the maximum amount of "cocobucks" that one can have. But before I do any changes, I need to make it easier to gather stats on everybody's account, how often players buy plane reservations, and how many times "overbooking" occurs.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:07 AM, II./JG1_Vonrd said:

Or, at least have it stay as long as that player has a streak going?

Every now and then people ask for streak-specific features. I am unlikely to ever implement any of those. It encourages para shooting (and all associated hurt feelings and controversy) and punishes ground attackers (who have little control of how hard AA will hit them).

On 7/12/2018 at 12:21 PM, No.85_Camm said:

It's easy, there is none! You have another question? 😁

More seriously, Vaal's stats system is great, but it has nothing to do with my campaign system. The two things are independent. I have plans to build a stats system that is better tied to my  campaign, but for now there isn't much to show.

On 7/12/2018 at 12:21 PM, No.85_Camm said:

It doesn't matter if we bomb Hangers, Factories, Aircraft, Oil tanks, Ammo dumps or Airfield storage...it [...] don't seem to have any positive outcome. It almost seems as though it's a waste of time attacking anything other than Airborne Aircraft

Then I need to do a better job of showing the effects. It's tied to the stats issue I mentioned above. I need to better show how what you destroyed handicaps the enemy. I would rank the effects on the campaign outcome for each type of target as follows, from most directly effective to least directly effective:

• Tanks. No tanks, no conquests. That applies to tank columns and parked tanks.
  • Supply depots. No supplies, no AA. No AA, no protection for other ground targets.
  • Supply columns, trains, ships. No supplies moved, no AA protection restored.
  • Factories. No factories -> no supply columns...

Planes are orthogonal to this. If you destroy planes (in the air or parked), you make your own side safer. If you destroy planes or hangars on front airfield, you force longer flight times for the enemy, which means lower amount of ordinance dropped on your assets.

But then, there is a balancing issue regarding how much effect a single player, or a single squad can have on the outcome. Too much and player number imbalance decides the outcome of a campaign, too little and it feels pointless.

Hint: Look for bridges located on the path of a column (tanks, trucks, trains). It's enough to destroy a bridge that's ahead of the vehicles to prevent the supplies from reaching their destination.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:47 PM, LeLv30_Redwing said:

during your vacation all the squad/pilot profiles were erased, any hope of getting them back or do we have to create the again?

Sorry, but they are lost. I moved to a different dedicated server host, and the data was lost in the process. The old host closed access immediately when I cancelled the service, instead of doing so at the end of the billing period, as they said they would. I thought I had 4 days for a smooth transition, it turned out I had -3 hours when I tried to start the move.

21 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

yep I see all my hours in here are gone. for the whole month.

For longer than that actually. All data collected during the Holocene (up to the beginning of July 2018) was lost.

Edited by coconut

25 minutes ago, coconut said:

No, that would pretty much render the plane reservation useless, if everybody is a millionaire. Maybe I could do it if I also put a limit on the maximum amount of "cocobucks" that one can have. But before I do any changes, I need to make it easier to gather stats on everybody's account, how often players buy plane reservations, and how many times "overbooking" occurs.

Every now and then people ask for streak-specific features. I am unlikely to ever implement any of those. It encourages para shooting (and all associated hurt feelings and controversy) and punishes ground attackers (who have little control of how hard AA will hit them).

It's easy, there is none! You have another question? 😁

More seriously, Vaal's stats system is great, but it has nothing to do with my campaign system. The two things are independent. I have plans to build a stats system that is better tied to my  campaign, but for now there isn't much to show.

Then I need to do a better job of showing the effects. It's tied to the stats issue I mentioned above. I need to better show how what you destroyed handicaps the enemy. I would rank the effects on the campaign outcome for each type of target as follows, from most directly effective to least directly effective:

• Tanks. No tanks, no conquests. That applies to tank columns and parked tanks.
  • Supply depots. No supplies, no AA. No AA, no protection for other ground targets.
  • Supply columns, trains, ships. No supplies moved, no AA protection restored.
  • Factories. No factories -> no supply columns...

Planes are orthogonal to this. If you destroy planes (in the air or parked), you make your own side safer. If you destroy planes or hangars on front airfield, you force longer flight times for the enemy, which means lower amount of ordinance dropped on your assets.

But then, there is a balancing issue regarding how much effect a single player, or a single squad can have on the outcome. Too much and player number imbalance decides the outcome of a campaign, too little and it feels pointless.

Hint: Look for bridges located on the path of a column (tanks, trucks, trains). It's enough to destroy a bridge that's ahead of the vehicles to prevent the supplies from reaching their destination.

Sorry, but they are lost. I moved to a different dedicated server host, and the data was lost in the process. The old host closed access immediately when I cancelled the service, instead of doing so at the end of the billing period, as they said they would. I thought I had 4 days for a smooth transition, it turned out I had -3 hours when I tried to start the move.

Thank you very much for your reply, Coconut

Hi Coco!

as I can see you have added win trigger to show stats which side goes victory as I ask before! That’s grate. But since the beggining of July already 20 campaign passsed with victories. How it could be?

I think I understood why!

You can’t tell stats who is winning campaign because ai generals surrender between missions in ur own commander. So if some side have been surrender you can create empty mission with only this trigger. What do u think?

3 hours ago, =KK=Des_ said:

Hi Coco!

as I can see you have added win trigger to show stats which side goes victory as I ask before! That’s grate. But since the beggining of July already 20 campaign passsed with victories. How it could be?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I did no such thing. What I did was reinstall Vaal's stat system from scratch on the new server. Maybe there's some config setting that's changed and does what you want, but it's accidental.

Edited by coconut

54 minutes ago, coconut said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I need no such thing. What I did was reinstall Vaal's stat system from scratch on the new server. Maybe there's some config setting that's changed and does what you want, but it's accidental.

So we still don’t have a target to go too(((

14 hours ago, =FEW=Psyrion said:

One of the best made campaigns around! Thanks Coconut :salute:

No, it's THE best.

Unfortunately the server is not available for me right now, and even the score page has not updated in a while. There must be some glitch with yesterday's update.

Hope Coconut will fix it soon. No Coconut, no BOX 😔

I *think* it was on your server yesterday but everyone I chose a pe2 I'd either hit an invisible object on the runway  and buckke a prop or simply ctd.

any ideas? 

24 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

I *think* it was on your server yesterday but everyone I chose a pe2 I'd either hit an invisible object on the runway  and buckke a prop or simply ctd.

any ideas? 

Apparently the pe2 87 is bugged. 

36 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Apparently the pe2 87 is bugged. 

ahh, thank you!

I asked in game and got a response that it was fine.

thanks again!

Takes forever to connect and we all get kicked after a few minutes.

Is it Steam and or the new patch?

Forever to connect is due to missing resaver.exe. 

Getting disconnected I know nothing about. Might be related if there’s a connection and download timeout. 

3 hours ago, coconut said:

Forever to connect is due to missing resaver.exe. 

Getting disconnected I know nothing about. Might be related if there’s a connection and download timeout. 

Yes it does time out once every 2 times for us.

Hi Coconut,

There seems to be a problem with the 'Normal' server.

I have tried to load the server 4 times and the screen locks at the loading stage. I can get into other servers without any problems. Do you know what is wrong?

Also, the Stats page doesn't seem to be updating

Edited by No.85_Camm

Yeah I will be very patient, I'm spending the weekend at the beach anyway 🙂

10 hours ago, No.85_Camm said:

Hi Coconut,

There seems to be a problem with the 'Normal' server.

I have tried to load the server 4 times and the screen locks at the loading stage. I can get into other servers without any problems. Do you know what is wrong?

Also, the Stats page doesn't seem to be updating

Lack of resaver.exe. My text mission files are large, 20MB. You have to be patient. That being said, resaver.exe was updated in the hotfix, so that should be fixed.

@coconut

Thanks for your endless work. Next month a little paypal donation is incoming by the way.

I've one question:

Are there artillery positions and/or fortified dugouts on the map?

As ground attackers we would like to see more different ground targets and destroyable vehicles beside the tanks, if the server resources could handle a little bit more.

So far we are going mostly for AF's and factories, as the moving tanks are difficult to spot.

Maybe I must school my eyes more, still, a bigger variety of ground targets could be nice 🎯