coconut

Coconut's dynamic campaign EXPERT and NORMAL

Coconut's dynamic campaign EXPERT and NORMAL

9HIOnKm.jpg

I have the pleasure to invite to come and fly on two servers running persistent dynamic campaigns that I have developed.

The campaign system has a rich logistics system and keeps track of supplies, bomb stocks, damaged installations, planes and tanks. Missions are dynamically generated using a scripted system.

The complete description is available in the manual available there. It's a bit long, but contains a quick getting started section at the end.

Thanks to Stod, there is also a translation to Russian:https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtoivprUAORRsDAcC_zaRPBAAOZJ

Thanks to @Frakkas there is now a translation to French: coconut french manual.pdf

There is only rule that will get you banned if you break it: be well-behaved and respectful of other players on the server.

Additionally, since plane damages have lasting consequences, please make sure you know the basics of taking-off and landing before you join the server.

Server settings
Expert has GPS off and no external cams
Normal has icons ON, external cams and complex engine management (so it's not really "normal", really a mix between normal and expert)
Maximum number of players is 16, which I might increase if there is a need and the server can take it.

Communication:
A discord server is available for discussion and cooperation: https://discord.gg/JmNRZZZ

Stats
Normal: http://coconutside.eu:8081
Expert: http://coconutside.eu:8080

Maps

http://il2missionplanner.com/#coconutexpert and http://il2missionplanner.com/#coconutnormal

Note: there is another older topic https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/19753-coconuts-server/
This other topic contains discussions that may be useful, but it also contains posts on older missions which could be misleading. Please post here for any discussion related to the campaigns.

Edited by coconut
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 12

In attempt to help people get a feeling of how things work, here is a picture of the current situation on the expert server:

dRg6XmT.jpg

The situation for the Allies is not looking good. They have been pushed back to their last region, and have moved all their tanks into a neighbouring region in an attempt to conquer it. The ground battle at Golubickaya is going to be decisive.

In the previous mission the Allies had 24 tanks in their last region. Moreover a large column with 16 vehicles was spotted near Golubickaya. The chances are good that the Allies sent all their tanks, 24 of them against the 14 entranched in Golubickaya.

They will probably win this battle, but the Axis has the possibility to inflict enough damage to break the Allies' momentum. For that, the Axis planes should focus on destroying Soviet tanks on the ground.

It's easy looking at the map to get distracted by the supplies and plane being shipped from the west to the east. Those supplies and planes will play an important role in the mission, but they should not be the focus of the Allies forces. The primary objective must be to ensure a decisive victory at Golubickaya. The secondary objective is to destroy tanks parked near Anapa. Those tanks could well move and attack the one last large region the Allies still control.

I6h3b1q.jpg

Apparently it's touch day for the Russians. The other campaign running on the normal server also has them cornered. Here again, one should look for the tank numbers first. For some reason the AI has decided to move the tanks from Verh. Ahtuba to the next region located south-west. That will put them next to the 38 tanks the Germans have massed in Krasnoarmeysk. They represent the immediate danger that the Allies should focus on. Note that Srednaya Ahtuba is under attack, and AI patrols are plentiful over Verhne.Pogromnoye. The airfield is otherwise unoccupied and the region is defended by a lonely tank. It makes a target of poor value and relatively well defended. Stay away from it.

From the Axis' perspective the tanks moving towards Krasnoarmeysk do not constitute a serious thread. Considering how hard it is for German to destroy Russian tanks, bombing efforts would probably be better spent and destroying whatever production capacity the Russians have. Primary target should be level-bombing factories. A secondary objective would be to protect and assist the AI ground attackers. They will keep attacking the airfield they are targetting, and they may manage to disable the strong AA guns there, leaving the place open to you for strafing. Keep an eye open for Allies planes flying from or returning to Leninsk. If you can intercept them, you can seriously hinder their efforts to assist what's left of their ground forces, and maybe remove valuable planes from the pool by shooting them down.

• Upvote 5

Brilliant.   :good: I will point my squad towards this new description and the new manual and we may become regular attendees.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 1

Hi all,

does anyone use "Discord" for communications when flying on Coconuts expert online server? I'm not usually an online flyer but am quite enjoying this one and I like to fly ground attack and avoid air-quake if I can. I been online a few times and haven't heard anyone at all, not sure if it's my "Discord" or nobody else is using it.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

does anyone use "Discord" for communications when flying on Coconuts expert online server? I'm not usually an online flyer but am quite enjoying this one and I like to fly ground attack and avoid air-quake if I can. I been online a few times and haven't heard anyone at all, not sure if it's my "Discord" or nobody else is using it.

Cheers

I must admit that when I flew there yesterday I did consider going into discord but the other Allies looked to be Finnish so I thought they would not be speaking English. They also did not answer my text messages which re-inforced my thoughts either they did not speak English.  Besides,  my squad don't like Discord so I went into our TS channel just in case one of them came into TS and could tell them where I was.  This did happen.

Ahhh! Thanks for the reply. I also typed a message which got no reply. I’ll try teamspeak next time. Cheers.

Very nice servers, you can see the time that you have put into it. Only problem is you will need to do some serious advertising to get people to play on it!

I was on for a couple of hours and it didn't reach more than about 10 people.

Thanks

• Like 1

Very nice servers, you can see the time that you have put into it. Only problem is you will need to do some serious advertising to get people to play on it!

I was on for a couple of hours and it didn't reach more than about 10 people.

Thanks

You will notice if you put an hour or two into this server, that you have more to do alone than in servers that have 20 players.

The max limit of this server is 16 (15) players, and with all the AI flights moving around plus ships, tanks, trucks, trains.... there is plenty of things going on!

IMO its one of the best servers I have flown.

This server is magic if you fly with a squad.

I usually team up with some guys that are not flying in Teamspeak or Discord and that actually works quite well. 

Last few days I have flown with OpticFlow and can´t complain about the coop feeling there, altough as someone mentioned earler.. the Discord voice channel is often empty!

Why dont u hang around in the Discord some time before u enter server and check if others want to join up?

This has all the ingredients of a successful campaign but with only 16 player slots it is almost an 'offline' mission. Our Squad (6 - 8 players, often more) has joined the server but there are sometimes not enough slots available or it runs the risk of being almost empty and then our Squad is likely to overwhelm the other side.

With a 100Mbs line (up and down?) you could try doubling that number to 32 and go from there.

There's no reason not to try. Player limit on the expert increased to 32.

• Upvote 1

I was on this afternoon and saw a lot of fuel tanks & enemy trucks parked behind a tank battle so attacked them but they were indestructible.  I made at least four passes in an IL-2 with rockets and guns but nothing was damaged.  Looking at the manual I saw mention of a location for JU52s to drop supplies on.    Is this what I was attacking and are they supposed to be indestructible?   If that is the case then maybe you need to re-think how you indicate a drop point as I might not be the only person wasting time & ammo for no reason.  Perhaps an area with just lots of crates forming a square or a circle?   

Yes, a drop zone is what it was. I'll make those elements destructible, although they have no strategic value. At least people won't waste too much ammo on them that way. I'll also add indestructible canvases so that the position remains visible to paratrooper transports.

• Upvote 2

Just want to express my appreciation for this server. I am on the US East Coast and the Coconuts are very fast in the middle of the night.

I just downloaded the Campaign Manual so in future I might not be as useless to the Allies as I have been so far!

Cheers,

Pontov

Me too!,

just wanted to thanks Coconut for this server. I don't normally play online as I'm a bit useless but I'm really enjoying this server. Great fun last night flying round at night even in poorer performing aircraft (P40 and Lagg3) sneaking up on unsuspecting enemy aircraft and airfields and attacking stealthily before slipping away.........absolutely brilliant!!! I just wish I could pair up and chat for more co-ordinated attacks but I can't seem to find anyone on Discord.

Cheers

Keeno, you might want to check on the 216th, they fly there sometimes. Primarily on expert, but there’s also one or two players that fly on normal settings too. They are in discord (their own).

Me too!,

just wanted to thanks Coconut for this server. I don't normally play online as I'm a bit useless but I'm really enjoying this server. Great fun last night flying round at night even in poorer performing aircraft (P40 and Lagg3) sneaking up on unsuspecting enemy aircraft and airfields and attacking stealthily before slipping away.........absolutely brilliant!!! I just wish I could pair up and chat for more co-ordinated attacks but I can't seem to find anyone on Discord.

Cheers

Hi Keeno, I'll try to keep my eyes open when I'm on coconuts expert server and let you know.

[...] I just wish I could pair up and chat for more co-ordinated attacks but I can't seem to find anyone on Discord.[...]

I´m too on discord when I play, which is unfortunaltely not that often and I belive I live in a different timezone than you.

Edited by Leon_Portier

Thanks guys,

I try discord and hear nobody at all, it'd be great to load up and take the heat to Germans on mass, I'll keep trying!

Cheers

Small update:

• Fixed bug causing ship convoys to de-spawn too early
  • Made trucks and tents at drop zones destructible. Truck should now fire a flare when friendly plane enters wide drop zone. Added canvases on the ground in a cross shape to mark center of drop zone.
  • Set all AAA level to "low"

Both servers will be down from Thursday 21th and will be back again in the beginning of January.

• Upvote 2

Hi Coconut,

Thank you for the great servers. I am vrry excited to see your server receiving more publicity as well as popularity.

Questions:

Tank battle: how many opposite side tanks can users destroy to deplete enemy spawning? Any tips to ensure tank battle is won?

Does destroying opposite side tank base (some trucks and fuel tank) have any effect?

General:

I have destroyed many factories and warehouses for axis but i cant feel the effect. Should I not bomb opposite side factories?

Would you consider assigning different points to targets? For example, stationed tanks are very valuable targets but points for destroying them is minute.

Thanks

Thank you Coconut for this excellent server! I have played a lot here for the last couple of weeks, had great fun.

Here is a video with some action from a couple of weeks back, where me and a mate from SvAF fought it out with among others members from the 216th! Unfortunately I only caught some of the action on recording.

Cheers

Edited by SvAF/F16_Katla
  • Upvote 3

Tank battle: how many opposite side tanks can users destroy to deplete enemy spawning? Any tips to ensure tank battle is won? Does destroying opposite side tank base (some trucks and fuel tank) have any effect?

You can't deplete spawning.

You can't ensure a battle is won, only help win it.

Destroying the opposite side tank base has no effect, other than making it hard for the other side to find where to drop reinforcements.

I have destroyed many factories and warehouses for axis but i cant feel the effect. Should I not bomb opposite side factories?

Bombing factories is the right thing to do, supposedly. But you need to do a lot of damage, and do it at once. They are constantly repairing themselves using the remaining capacity. To keep them destroyed you need to destroy all factories in a region, and intercept all its supplies. Hard to do if you are playing by yourself and only a couple hours no and then.

It's also possible that aspect of the campaign is not well balanced yet. There are quite a few parameters, and finding the right balance is not easy.

Would you consider assigning different points to targets? For example, stationed tanks are very valuable targets but points for destroying them is minute.

You mean in the stats? Sure, I can check the values there.

Especially hard for red to do factory bombing since it is a long trip and the Pe-2's bomb load sucks for it. I hope the A-20 has the bigger bomb-load as it is supposed to (1600KG or thereabouts). 

One thing I noticed is that the Il-2 with the 37s seemed to do no damage to static tanks. Moving tanks no problem, so it is not my aim. 

Pike*HarryM' timestamp='1513613675' post='548084'] One thing I noticed is that the Il-2 with the 37s seemed to do no damage to static tanks

That's because the damage model differs from regular tanks. If I make them fragile enough to be destructible with bullets, they are too easy to destroy with bombs.

Maybe a solution would be to have them less tightly grouped, to avoid mass destructions with one or two big bombs. Then I could afford to reduce their durability.

That's kind of what I thought. I noticed that blue side seemed to be able to destroy lots of them with the big bomb so different from normal tanks. 

Nice video!

Thank you Coconut for this excellent server! I have played a lot here for the last couple of weeks, had great fun.

Here is a video with some action from a couple of weeks back, where me and a mate from SvAF fought it out with among others members from the 216th! Unfortunately I only caught some of the action on recording.

Cheers

Is it back?

Great! We like it :joy:

One suggestion:

I know on campaign expert everything is counting and bombs and planes are limited.

Well, the limitation numbers are a little to low imo.

Practically it happens that some guys of our squadron were joining in the passed and we could not even fly the same plane version.

Example:

5 of us are joining and, as we are a CAS squadron want to use the Ju87. Well, on the AF are only 2 available, on the next AF also.

I think this has nothing to do with realism.

In my opinion all standard planes should have minimum 10 available planes, maybe not on every AF but you guys get the twist, right?

Usually there is plenty of planes on the rear fields, transfer them. I like the scarcety (?) of planes, makes them more valuable and should help to make people appreciate them instead of wasting them.

I don't want unlimited planes, just noting that someone else doesn't like having them scattered around. It is just a fundamental flaw of a server like this I suppose, if you don't go the route of a "personal hangar". 

My thoughts:

Make static planes harder to destroy, it is far to easy to wipe out a whole fields planes with a single fighter. 

Make slightly larger groups of "base" planes not just at the rearmost fields but somewhere closer to front, like 4 109s 4 Ju-87s 4 Pe-2s and 4 LaGG-3s 4 Il-2s 4 Pe-2s.

For discussion:

Password the server to prevent dweebs from dropping in, grabbing planes from frontline (of course) crashing repeatedly or flying straight to a flak-nest then leaving when front line fighters are depleted. Yes, it happens. 

Pike*HarryM' timestamp='1514564517' post='552633'] Make static planes harder to destroy, it is far to easy to wipe out a whole fields planes with a single fighter.

I actually made them pretty hard to destroy by accident in a recent patch. Maybe I should leave it that way in the next campaign and see if that changes anything.

Pike*HarryM' timestamp='1514564517' post='552633'] Make slightly larger groups of "base" planes not just at the rearmost fields but somewhere closer to front, like 4 109s 4 Ju-87s 4 Pe-2s and 4 LaGG-3s 4 Il-2s 4 Pe-2s

That's more or less how it is at the start, but what happens after that I can't really control. If I did, it would put planes above logistics. Not necessarily a bad idea, but it would look a bit strange, wouldn't it?

Pike*HarryM' timestamp='1514564517' post='552633'] Password the server to prevent dweebs from dropping in, grabbing planes from frontline (of course) crashing repeatedly or flying straight to a flak-nest then leaving when front line fighters are depleted. Yes, it happens.

No, putting a password on the server would mean its death. I have tried organizing closed sessions, but it's hard to keep them going.

Things I could do:

1. Prevent "dweebs" from spawning at depleted airfields (kick them shortly after spawn).
  2. Ear-mark planes. Players can identify themselves as being part of a squadron. From then on, planes transferred by a squadron's members are reserved for members of that squadron.

Things I could do:

1. Ear-mark planes. Players can identify themselves as being part of a squadron. From then on, planes transferred by a squadron's members are reserved for members of that squadron.

This!

Prevent "dweebs" from spawning at depleted airfields (kick them shortly after spawn).

How would you do that?  What makes a 'dweeb'?   Perhaps you could not allow anyone to use a front line/depleted field if they just died and only allow them to use it again once they have taken off from a rear field and landed at any friendly field (or landed at any *other* field?).

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Coconut,

I've been looking the last few days to get on your multiplayer but it's not on the list, is it being updated and when will it return?

Cheers

How would you do that?  What makes a 'dweeb'?

Basically someone who's causing more damage to their own side than to the enemy's. Everything has a cost in the game, which means this statistic is a relatively easy one to compute.

Perhaps you could not allow anyone to use a front line/depleted field if they just died and only allow them to use it again once they have taken off from a rear field and landed at any friendly field (or landed at any *other* field?)

That's a bit harsh, especially to people who do ground attack. They get shot down a lot, and it's expected. I can't punish someone just because they've been shot down.

Coconut,

I've been looking the last few days to get on your multiplayer but it's not on the list, is it being updated and when will it return?

Cheers

Server is down and will return next week. Probably middle of the week, surely at the end of the week.

This!

You have to realize it's a double-edged sword. You won't be able to use other squadrons' planes. Anyway, it's worth a try.

• Upvote 1

That's a bit harsh, especially to people who do ground attack. They get shot down a lot, and it's expected. I can't punish someone just because they've been shot down.

I don't think so. I am not saying they cannot go on another offensive mission,  I am just saying that if you have just lost an aircraft from a field that did not have many to start with then your next mission should be from a different field.  If you survive that, whether it was a combat  mission or a 5 minute resupply or even a quick circuit, then you go back to using the front line field again.   It is not really a major punishment, just a reminder to be careful.