Mukai

Allied planes or Axis planes? Bombers, fighters? What do you prefer to take to the skies in

Hey guys, was just curious what people liked to fly and why? Is there a particular side you favour? Or a particular role maybe?

I admit it, I fell for the Luftwaffe allure and propaganda originally when first starting out  :lol:  . I used to play 1946 battle of Britain style game-play with spitfires and bf109's and it was all very familiar so i was quite reluctant to try the soviet planes, and of course I grew up on fighters so bombers weren't gonna cut it.

However, this game was also the first where I truly ventured online ( i did play a bit of RoF online) and I soon discovered that my awesome dog fighting skills that won me so many many an AI battle........... were absolute trash against real people   :lol:  :lol: , after getting absolutely obliterated on repeat and being disheartened quite a bit I gave bombers a go, and actually enjoyed them a lot more than i thought i would. Getting in on target, bombing something and getting out before I'm noticed or when I'm under fire always got the heart racing, which is made all the more exhilarating by the fact that I lone wolf cos I'm the only one of my friends who play sims at all.

I continued with the Luftwaffe cos they offered the biggest boom for my buck with the HE111. I had to take leave from the front recently but since I came back I've finally started messing about with Soviet gear and discovering a whole new side of things, the PE2 is a beast, it can't carry as much bombs but its surprisingly not made of paper :O I mean I've more than a 20% chance of survival :O So I'm nearly perfering them now and with the A20 coming up I'm getting excited!! :) I've yet to give fighters a go again, but with the introduction of BoBp I might have to get used to it and try and 'get gud'

Sorry for the novel,

TLDR: Who do you prefer to fly for? Axis or allies? Do you generally fly Bombers, Attackers, fighters? Do you have a particular plane or group of planes you gravitate towards?

Edited by Mukai

I will fly them all, and have since the original IL2, that said I prefer Allied overall.

As for flying the Axis side, I prefer Japanese and Italian aircraft.

Of course my favorite is this...

xVj9Xy.jpg

• Upvote 1

I feel most at home flying for the VVS, always have since the original IL-2 first gave me the chance.

That being said, I tend to fly pretty much anything. I feel I would be missing out if there was some content in the game I never tried. In MP I tend to fly for whatever side is currently on the defensive (which is not necessarilly the side with fewer players) and I often switch teams to the weaker side if the balance shifts.

As for which planes I fly: I’m a fighter pilot first, ground attacker second and bomber/cargo/recon pilot a distant third (though I always advocate for more non-fighters in flight sims). My favourite rides on the VVS side are the MiG-3, La-5, IL-2, Pe-2 and sometimes I-16 - and I’m looking forward to give the P-39 a spin. On the LW side it’s almost exclusively Fw 190, sometimes a Bf 109E7 or Bf 110.

I fly to relax, so I enjoy the automation on the LW aircraft. Lately I've been having a lot of fun flying JABO versions of the fighters, doing AA suppression.

The plane I am looking most forward to however, is the A-20b. I'd love to do some bombing for the VVS, but I can't stand the peshka, and the IL-2 just never did it for me either.

I fly to relax, so I enjoy the automation on the LW aircraft. Lately I've been having a lot of fun flying JABO versions of the fighters, doing AA suppression.

The plane I am looking most forward to however, is the A-20b. I'd love to do some bombing for the VVS, but I can't stand the peshka, and the IL-2 just never did it for me either.

Yeah me too, the A-20b looks like it will be a lot of fun!! :)

I fly everything and both sides, it gives perspective and nice variation for flying. Mostly I fly fighter/Jabo missions. Secondary ground attack. I'm lousy level bomber :D.

My all time favorites are German fighter planes, especially Bf-109G series. Hs-129 has special place also in my list. On VVS side I like Yaks and of course Il-2.

I've become very attached to the bf 109 F4 because it can handle high altitude bomber intercepts (better than the fw 190) AND low level fighter dogfights. It turns better than the 190 and can keep up with all Soviet aircraft except the Mig 3 (which I have trouble with). It also has great visibility (in VR) and I can throw it around quite violently if I have to without stalling. If it DOES stall then recovery is easy even near the ground. It just suits me and I used to say that about the 190 until I tried chasing fighters (yes I know it's a boom and zoom energy attacker but sometimes you just have to get circular!).

What ever team has the least amount of players :P

Allies P-40 and soon to be P-47 or P-38.
Axis Fw-190

I gravitate toward planes that fly well at high speeds.

• Upvote 1

I've become very attached to the bf 109 F4 because it can handle high altitude bomber intercepts (better than the fw 190) AND low level fighter dogfights. It turns better than the 190 and can keep up with all Soviet aircraft except the Mig 3 (which I have trouble with). It also has great visibility (in VR) and I can throw it around quite violently if I have to without stalling. If it DOES stall then recovery is easy even near the ground. It just suits me and I used to say that about the 190 until I tried chasing fighters (yes I know it's a boom and zoom energy attacker but sometimes you just have to get circular!).

Well the F4 was the "best fighter in the game" for a solid two years soooo no surprise! it is awesome, but fortunately has lost its unequivocal crown of "best" with FM improvements

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr

What ever team has the least amount of players :P

That was always me in the old sim, which is how I discovered the Zeke.

Hmmm ...

Subsequent to my comment earlier that I have trouble with Mig 3s I researched its performance. At low level the bf 109 F4 should easily overtake it but it's easily pulling away from my F4 even when I'm at 2500 rpm. Likewise the ingame Mig 3 can ascend like a rocketship from well below me and continue to out climb me up to an eventual level off and fast direction change. My conclusion is that in IL-2 the Mig 3 and bf 109 are not accurately modelled. Yes?

Hmmm ...

Subsequent to my comment earlier that I have trouble with Mig 3s I researched its performance. At low level the bf 109 F4 should easily overtake it but it's easily pulling away from my F4 even when I'm at 2500 rpm. Likewise the ingame Mig 3 can ascend like a rocketship from well below me and continue to out climb me up to an eventual level off and fast direction change. My conclusion is that in IL-2 the Mig 3 and bf 109 are not accurately modelled. Yes?

A lot of it depends on your flying style. If you turn to hard you bleed energy, if you do not keep a close eye on your turn and slip indicator to keep the ball close to centre then you are bleeding energy. or if not bleeding, at least not maximising your potential. Mig's have rudder trim, so they don't have to worry so much about kicking the correct amount of rudder in flight to keep your aircraft balanced. One area you should have a decent advantage though is in the climb.

I can fly anything.

I flew fighters for so long in the 1946 series that I prefer bombers, fighter bombers and transport aircraft only now.

I would like to try the P-38 though..

Used to fly the old Typhoon as a ground pounding plane in the 439th but I doubt we will ever see that plane

again it took so long to get it in mods with the old IL-2

I have always liked the FW190 and I am finally at a point where I can fly it effectively.  Love the speed and firepower.  

The 110 is lots of fun.  It makes a nice interceptor and IL2 killer as well as a ground pounder.  Not much for killing tanks so I generally don't try.

On the allied side I started a campaign in the I16 to test PWCG.  I liked it so much I am now flying with a pilot named "Russian Test" :)

Blowing stuff up on the ground is much more satisfying in IL2 than RoF, so in SP I really like planes like the 110 and 190 that can both fight and bomb reasonably well.

Online activity is very limited.  I would like to fly German but the Russians are always so outnumbered that I cannot bring myself to do so.  Not that I'm much help.  I pretty much play the same role as the Devastators at Midway.

A lot of it depends on your flying style. If you turn to hard you bleed energy, if you do not keep a close eye on your turn and slip indicator to keep the ball close to centre then you are bleeding energy. or if not bleeding, at least not maximising your potential. Mig's have rudder trim, so they don't have to worry so much about kicking the correct amount of rudder in flight to keep your aircraft balanced. One area you should have a decent advantage though is in the climb.

Indeed; I'm flying in VR so it's easy to keep that ball central as required and I do. No other aircraft has the seemingly supernatural abilities of the Mig, I'm at 469 campaign kills so I've seen a few of everything. The Mig 3 is just (apparently) much faster than it should be. If this is down to my handling of the 109 then that would explain it but it would also really surprise me because I think I'm doing most things right.

I gravitate toward planes that fly well at high speeds.

Ah a man after my own heart! I also love fast "boom-and-zoom" style planes. I only fly fighters, and I currently mostly fly the FW 190. Really looking forward to Bodenplatte as then I'll get to fly the P-47, P-51 and P-38 as well.

Indeed; I'm flying in VR so it's easy to keep that ball central as required and I do. No other aircraft has the seemingly supernatural abilities of the Mig, I'm at 469 campaign kills so I've seen a few of everything. The Mig 3 is just (apparently) much faster than it should be. If this is down to my handling of the 109 then that would explain it but it would also really surprise me because I think I'm doing most things right.

Still may relate to flying style. I'm on the same level as you (with only half of your air kills, but more ground kills), and I'd say the MiG is a medium difficulty opponent. For me it's on par with the P-40, tougher than the LaGG and the La, but definitely easier than the Yak. Maybe I met the MiG at a lower campaign difficulty level where the AI did not fly it to its limits and I was still flying the E7.

Besides, it seems that the F and G series FMs have something wrong with the FFB response to the effect that FFB users (as we are) must fly them in an overtrimmed state (which, in turn, cripples their performance to some extent). See here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28917-force-feedback-center-stick-behavior-vs-spring-centered-stic/

Anyway, by adjusting the stabilizer you should be able to outclimb anything the VVS has and outturn anything except the Yak and a well-flown P-40. Just my 2 cents

Edited by sniperton

I prefer yak and peska, sometimes i use lagg for AAA ponding and spit cos it's spit, i also fly fw190A3/5, ju88, 110 and 109f4/2 when we fly axis depending on task/objective.

Few day ago i tried Heinkel in VR and it's WOW!

I equaly like to fly fighers abd bombers.

At first i was all about fighters but later when i tried bombers i discovered that survival feel when you need to plot waypoints to take less risk as possible, attacking objective and getting home alive or damaged is really rewarding.

Offline: everything

Online: 95% of time Luftwaffel. Fighter/jabo usually. My favorite plane used to be 109 for a long time but i really fell in love with 190 when the new FM was released. VVS side i usually choose Spit/Yak-1B.

Love them all, but my two favourites are the Bf 110 and the Pe-2.

After those comes the Ju 88, He 111 and the MC.202. for now.....
Really looking forward to the A-20.

Hmmm ...

Please fly the Mig-3. Its a dog against the F4 and the Migs climbrate is really bad, if you're not in boosted mode this thing needs endless to get to altitude.

You might want to get Tacview and analyse the situations you are talking about because it seems that the preconditions for the scenario you describe are unknown. If a Mig dives on you with 600 kph and you have 500 kph then emergency power will not save you in your F4 if you just run. On the other hand a Mig-3 is so unmanouverable that you can easily outturn it in a few seconds.

OT: Allied bombers and fighters, I have phases and generally like all planes that have a unique and interesting characteristic (sorry Mig-3, you look good but that was it..)

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Though I like the IL2s most of all, I tend to fly almost everything simply because the planes are so nicely done and I enjoy the ride

That said, I fly the 109 and 190 least of all. The He-111 almost never. I definitely prefer the Allied planes.

TWO engines or more - that's a plane. Four engines is heaven. I don't care for what side in the game as long it's equipment is somewhat modern and complete. In company and formation I prefer (horizontal) bomb runs or transport flights. Recon is fine alone and night fighter sorties would be great - one fine day!

At the risk of being OT, the MiG dives extremely well and retains energy for a very long time once it levels out. If you have enough separation, however, you can drag race it down on the deck to bleed this energy off and then it is something of a sitting duck. It will not climb with the F4 at co-E anywhere below about 4-5000m. I regularly outdo MiG's at low level in an A5 and the F4 is a rocket ship comparably.

So, for the on topic comments; I enjoy the automation and style of the German AC so the Fw is my ride of choice. Happy to duel or do Jabo work in them. I fly the G2 and G4 when I am winging up with my Squaddies. I just don't love the current Allied lineup aesthetically so I only dabble in them offline. The Spitfire is excellent and gets me over the Allies online on occasion but it is a very different style of flying from anything else in the game. Haven't really done any level bomber work.

BoBp will get me into the seat of pretty much everything except the 262. It's a hell of a late war stable. We're just missing a Yak-9 and La-7 for late war fighters at that point but I suspect they are being held in reserve for a final East Front chapter in a few years.

Just give me a Focke-Wulf and I'm good.

Picture these, lol

CUJO1970 1945, formation flying with Corsairs in the pacific in his Fw-190.

CUJO1970 1952, shooting down F-86Fs alongside the North Korean MiG-15s in his Fw-190.

CUJO1970 1990, strafing M1A1s... in his Fw-190.

CUJO1970 2129, shooting down alien ships in space in his Fw-190?

"Just give me a Focke-Wulf and I'm good." 

• Upvote 1

Picture these, lol

CUJO1970 1952, shooting down F-86Fs alongside the North Korean MiG-15s in his Fw-190.

Sounds pretty badass to me. :)

Currently i spend most of my time in the LaGG-3, La-5, Il-2, Bf 110 G-2 and Fw 190 A-5, mostly all of them in the ground-attack role. But i'm really looking forward to the P-39 and A-20 and i think i'll spend a lot of time in those two planes aswell.

I just fly MP combat, and I always pick my aircraft depending on the odds...

If #Axis >= #Allies, I pick Allies ( mostly P-40E and Spitfire )

Otherwise I pick Axis ( mostly Bf 109-F4 and Fw-190 A-5 )

Never tried bombers or carriers... Just the first time in QM to taste their FDM. 

Edited by jcomm

All sides and planes. I get bored if i play one plane or side too much. I like fighters, bombers and attack planes equally.

I usually fly on the side with less pilots which is typically VVS.

Picture these, lol

I'd totally watch that!!  :lol:

LaGG 3 is my Favorite Plane here even tho its one of the weakest planes. 

I allways found the La5FN be my Favorite but when it comes to flying La5 (normal one) in Il2 it just doenst feel as gooda s with the LaGG 3 for me. I hope the REAL THING La5FN will be better :D 

But im looking forward to P39 and P47 as well. Also im interessted in buyng the MC 202 Folgore. 

My dream would be that they would put in the Japanese ARMY planes that means Ki43, Ki44, Ki61 or K84 and Heavys like Ki 45 BUT i fear that the japanese Addons will be Midways battle that means... A6M2 (BOOOORING).

It seems that never mind the game, I usually pick Allies, and often Americans. I love 190s, but Allies just blow Germany out of the water when it comes to pure diversity.

It seems that never mind the game, I usually pick Allies, and often Americans. I love 190s, but Allies just blow Germany out of the water when it comes to pure diversity.

Yeah true, its kinda sad that Germans allwass get the BF109 / FW190 for each addon

VVS I fly the Rat...Axis which I fly most, almost exclusively the 110 E2 or G2.  I love being the underdog and these 2 planes fit the bill.  Really like the versatility of the 110.

• Upvote 1