Jason_Williams

Are their any Canadians here?

9 hours ago, SShrike said:

Alberta

Fortis et Liber

I'm outta rep for the day, but I tried to give your post a thumbs up. Alberta is great! :cool:

Edmonton Alberta here. We have a pretty decent aviation museum in town as well! It was built in a double hangar that was used a lot for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. At one point in the second world war it was the busiest airfield in the world, and sent a ton of aircraft through here up to Russia.

Not from there, but used to spend a fair amount of time in my summers in Port Stanley on Lake Erie.

Good times, good people, good beer, good music, great women.

🍻

1 hour ago, ATAG_Headshot said:

Edmonton Alberta here. We have a pretty decent aviation museum in town as well! It was built in a double hangar that was used a lot for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. At one point in the second world war it was the busiest airfield in the world, and sent a ton of aircraft through here up to Russia.

Really?  Dang.  I was just in Edmonton for a few days visiting friends - had no idea.

3 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

The museum is located on the old RCAF base Rockcliffe.

The white cutoff cockpit section at 1:03 is one of the last remnants of the original Avro Arrows, which were cut up for scrap (!!!) when the program was cancelled in February 1959.

In 2006, the (former) Toronto Aerospace Museum unveiled a full-size model of the Arrow, built with help from many of the people that worked on the real thing back in the 50s. The museum's collection has moved to Edenvale Aerodrome, near Barrie Ontario, and a new facility is under construction there to house the collection.

Here are some pictures of the model from the unveiling:

ArrowReplica-063.png.f198d5d9adefe2cd0c9877837b5a106c.png

ArrowReplica-062.png.50f086199ec3288d34918c85b4660e93.png

ArrowReplica-001.png.b4326ff6f292d386cbadb7bc417a4629.png

ArrowReplica-025.png.86ef2f17a79b4391478531a679192394.png

This is Stan Porter, one of the engineers that designed the wings:

StanPorter-001.png.7c30bee9614c27d2fc19b25348cd1e3f.png

...and a group photo of some of the other Avro employees that worked on the Arrow:

ArrowReplica-014.png.ea9251dcb852a8a3da76003a9797ab75.png

Edited by JimTM

4 hours ago, ATAG_Headshot said:

Very good museum indeed. I go often just to hug the DH-98 Mosquito there. The museum is an old BCATP hangar and it was still an airport in the middle of our city up until a few years ago. I believe it was Canada's first licensed airfields! I live in Devon, just a few canadian miles from Edmonton😀🍁

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_City_Centre_(Blatchford_Field)_Airport

Edited by SShrike
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DEDMANcjp said:

Fergus, Ontario.    A little taste of Scotland.

I've been to Fergus a few times. Apparently you have a butter tart festival in May that I'm supposed to go to :)

Canada = Stargate = Cool.

One of ze Germans here myself, but I have to say, Canuckistan has some great cities - haven't been let down so far (granted, there are some places in Ontario, Quebec and the prairie states that I haven't been to).

Vancouver

Banff

Jasper

Victoria

Whitehorse

Dawson

Halifax

Goose Bay (yeah, not really a city, but they DO have a Tim Horton's, so I guess it qualifies)

Toronto

Niagra (well, that one is the ugly ducking)

Calgary (very industrial, but great with the prairie on one side and the rockies on the other - kind of like Denver)

People say Montreal is great. Definately on my list.

• Like 1

I'm in Saskatchewan. I'll echo some of the comments on the Edmonton museum, very cool. Worth the drive out to Wetaskiwin to see the Reynolds museum as well. I've also been to the military museum in Calgary which is great.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

One of ze Germans here myself, but I have to say, Canuckistan has some great cities - haven't been let down so far (granted, there are some places in Ontario, Quebec and the prairie states that I haven't been to).

Vancouver

Banff

Jasper

Victoria

Whitehorse

Dawson

Halifax

Goose Bay (yeah, not really a city, but they DO have a Tim Horton's, so I guess it qualifies)

Toronto

Niagra (well, that one is the ugly ducking)

Calgary (very industrial, but great with the prairie on one side and the rockies on the other - kind of like Denver)

People say Montreal is great. Definately on my list.

That be provinces not states Brem.😊 How is your French, as will need that in Quebec.

• Upvote 1

OK i'll be the one to say it. It's "there" not "their". Sorry to be the nazi but it makes my eyes bleed every time is see this thread.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

That be provinces not states Brem.😊 How is your French, as will need that in Quebec.

How dare I, eh?

Weren't you from London? I seem to remember from ages ago.

Had to think of it when driving back to Toronto from Niagara.

A day later, we took a Q400 from Downsview to Berlin...

I just recognized the Northern Territories and Nunavut are still Terra Incognita to me.

Edited by Bremspropeller

18 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

How dare I, eh?

Weren't you from London? I seem to remember from ages ago.

Had to think of it when driving back to Toronto from Niagara.

A day later, we took a Q400 from Downsview to Berlin...

I just recognized the Northern Territories and Nunavut are still Terra Incognita to me.

All my life in Ottawa but I do remember someone from the London area.

Downsview is where DeHavilland built the Mosquito during WW2.  Must have made several stops on the way back to Berlin as the Q400 doesn't have the range for non stop.

Northern Territories is the Northwest Territories. Northern Territory is in Australia.😉

• Upvote 1

So cool to see all these fellow Canadians, hi guys! lived in Saskatchewan, Alberta and now British Columbia. 

see you in the sky boys!:fly: 

• Upvote 1

Downsview is where DeHavilland built the Mosquito during WW2.  Must have made several stops on the way back to Berlin as the Q400 doesn't have the range for non stop.

We stopped at Goose Bay, had a Nose gear retraction malfunction after take-off, returned and went AOG, spent the night and ferried the next morning to Halifax gear down.

Then spent a night there (airplane was in MX), flew back to Goose the next morning and continued on to Keflavik.

Spent a night there and went direct Berlin the next morning.

Northern Territories is the Northwest Territories. Northern Territory is in Australia.

You guys are dangerous.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2019 at 5:41 AM, Ptk said:

I'm in Saskatchewan. I'll echo some of the comments on the Edmonton museum, very cool. Worth the drive out to Wetaskiwin to see the Reynolds museum as well. I've also been to the military museum in Calgary which is great. 

They have been doing a TON of work at the Edmonton one. They are doing full dioramas with costumes, mannequins, and by the Mosquito they even have a German motorcycle with a sidecar and panzerschreck as well as a destroyed car that looks like it was strafed. I go there every few months and every time there is a lot of new stuff. Tons of work! On top of that they have begun the restoration of two P-39s as well.

• Upvote 1

New member..from Trenton Ontario..home of RCAF 8 Wing - largest base in Canada -  National Air Force Museum of Canada - take a look  http://www.airforcemuseum.ca

...424 Tiger Search & Rescue Squadron ...Dad flew Tiger Moth after WW II

Former Birds of Steel player on PS3 and War Thunder on PS4 - this forum absolutely trounces those run by Gaijin!

Now to learn this game!

DSC_5905.jpg

DSC_6726.jpg

Jack-Tiger_Moth_1946.jpg

Pic of Year.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 1/20/2019 at 7:30 AM, Zed4747 said:

So cool to see all these fellow Canadians, hi guys! lived in Saskatchewan, Alberta and now British Columbia. 

see you in the sky boys!:fly: 

There are quite a few and it is really nice to see. It would be interesting to form a Canadian squadron. Anyone else?

• Like 1

Welcome DocJMB. You are going to love this game

Edited by SShrike

Thanks to our Aussie friend who noted our frigid flying conditions....just pushed the snow blower through 12" of fresh stuff.

And SShrike offers some of that well known and appreciated western hospitality!

Canada Rules!!

1 hour ago, wombatBritishBulldogs said:

Minus 17 Celsius at your air museum while we are pushing 40+  celsius in australia Welcome btw 

Minus 23C this morning at 8:00AM with the wind chill at -38C. Driving was like on ice. On the weekend Ottawa was the coldest capital in the world.

turn off the audio

This is just one section. The other section traces the Canadian military history from the beginning to modern day.

4 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

Minus 23C this morning at 8:00AM with the wind chill at -38C. Driving was like on ice. On the weekend Ottawa was the coldest capital in the world.

Lol!  Need a hug and a warm cocoa?  Thunder Bay.  Minus one bazillion plus wind chill.  I think Nunavut might have us both beat though.  ;)

Stupid cold ass country.

Edit:  Welcome DocJMB!

Edited by JG51_Beazil
  • Haha 2

Milo...Visited Ottawa's Canadian War Museum last fall..fantastic experience!!

And it was warm!

...DocJMB

Was in Alert with the 424 SQN last year..now that's cold:

Alert.jpg

Herc.jpg

• Upvote 1

Warm!!! No kidding Doc. In 6 months went from the HIGH +30sC to -30sC.

For those using that antiquated system, -35C to +35C is -31F to +95F.

Haha. Typical Canadian conversation. Always turns to weather!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DocJMB said:

Milo...Visited Ottawa's Canadian War Museum last fall..fantastic experience!!

And it was warm!

...DocJMB

Was in Alert with the 424 SQN last year..now that's cold:

Alert.jpg

Herc.jpg

I have Alert on my iPhone weather. -33 right now. Really want to visit Grise Fjord one day.

Was up shoveling a roof today, -30 and worse in the wind. That was all kinds of fun. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, DocJMB said:

Sorry!

😂

1 hour ago, DocJMB said:

Sorry!

Standard Canadian polite response👍

2 hours ago, SShrike said:

Haha. Typical Canadian conversation. Always turns to weather!

So true! :)

We do live in a country where 30c summers with extreme humidity can be replaced by -30c conditions in the winter. It's remarkable :)

33 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I have Alert on my iPhone weather. -33 right now. Really want to visit Grise Fjord one day.

Was up shoveling a roof today, -30 and worse in the wind. That was all kinds of fun. :biggrin:

I lived in Iqaluit from '91 to '97 and have spent time in all 26 Nunavut communities Grise Fjord, Pond Inlet and Pangnirtung were my favorites.

• Upvote 1

Just now, WWCraven said:

I lived in Iqaluit from '91 to '97 and have spent time in all 26 Nunavut communities Grise Fjord, Pond Inlet and Pangnirtung were my favorites.

Very nice! :drinks:

I spent a few weeks in Whitehorse, toured Lake Laberge in a floatplane and almost bought a house there. Really nice people in Whitehorse. Very much want to go back.

Here's a shot of our favorite lake and camping spot, Kusawa Lake 45 minute drive west of Whitehorse.  Lots of good fishing here, not uncommon to pull in 20-30lb Lake Trout, also have Arctic Grayling, Northern Pike and Whitefish.  In the fall those mountain ranges across the lake are dotted with Dall Sheep easily seen with a good set of binoculars.

Should keep thoughts and hopes of summer alive🙂1718394222_IMG_0440(1).thumb.JPG.fefddcda95dc859b3756736e56d6bd13.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

So true! :)

We do live in a country where 30c summers with extreme humidity can be replaced by -30c conditions in the winter. It's remarkable :)

It is where you scrape the windows on the car and drive to work with the heat on full, and on the way home from work you have the A/C on!

• Like 1