DressedWings

On the topic of Thunderbolts

17 hours ago, busdriver said:

I'll take your word for it regarding the significance of the divergence of Calibrated and Equivalent airspeed. Once I got out of UPT, that divergence was of no use to line pilots. Sure, we had to spin the whiz wheel  (E6B slide rule) and complete an ICE-T problem for the annual instrument written test, but then that requirement went away too. 

You may appreciate the irony I'm about to offer...or not. In the Phantom community, the expression you're looking for is "hard wing" rather than slick wing. Hard wing refers to the lack of Leading Edge Slats (LES). And again generally speaking, a slick wing would refer to an airplane without external tanks or pylons (pylons for tanks or pylons for weapons). As it turned out, a totally slick hard wing Phantom had an issue with lateral stability at high AoA, so a hard wing with only inboard pylons was considered slick. I flew the unarmed RF-4C, a hard wing Phantom. It retained a weapons computer and wiring to carry bombs (that we never trained with) and in the early 80's the ANG modified their RFs and began training and carrying AIM-9Ps. The three years I spent flying it around Germany were the most fun a bachelor could have. When we flew BFM or DACT sorties we removed any/all external tanks but kept the inboard pylons...we called that...you guessed it, a slick airplane. The same applied in the F-16, a slick wing meant no tanks, no pylons.

I found quote I was thinking about. Shaw, page 392 Beware the lessons of a fighter pilot who would rather fly a slide rule than kick your ass! Commander Ron "Mugs" McKeown USN

Youll be happy to know wiz wheels are still alive and well in UPT (2011 at least). Aaaand that’s the last time I can recall seeing ICE-T until now! 

Will compressability be modelled?

I spoke with Art Fiedler a few years back and captured his memories about an incident with the P-47 during training. This wasn't the D-28 but I think it was still an issue until the D-30?

Anyway, here a short audio clip captured while we were eating at his home in 2008:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice puma ) recall my wingman (in-game) talking about his F-14 days where they had a rule to bail at 10,000 feet if they had a problum at at or above the old compressibility speeds (mach number)due to the time it takes to bailout .

24 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Will compressability be modelled?

Yes. It's going to be interesting to see how it affects other aircraft as well.

Edited by Legioneod

1 hour ago, Mysticpuma said:

here a short audio clip captured while we were eating at his home in 2008:

And that is why I love this community. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Go_Pre said:

Youll be happy to know wiz wheels are still alive and well in UPT (2011 at least). Aaaand that’s the last time I can recall seeing ICE-T until now! 

Robert S Johnson for your avatar.  :good:

• Like 1

Wondering (and hoping) that the Devs manage to squeeze in one of the Brazilian Air Force P-47's

Since we get a few less known skins for each plane in the game I figured it'd be fitting for the P-47, the USAF skins are already gonna get a whole lot of love from everyone anyway.

p-4706.jpg

26_3.jpg

P-47s-da-FAB-na-It%C3%A1lia-da-Esquadril

5924245090_0fd615c46b_b.jpg

Edited by Tony_Kito
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So IDK if anyone noticed, but now there is a turbosupercharger binding in the engine controls menu. As well as a blip switch.

31 minutes ago, Field-Ops said:

So IDK if anyone noticed, but now there is a turbosupercharger binding in the engine controls menu. As well as a blip switch.

Nice, never noticed. We'll see the P-47 soon, I got a feelin.

7 hours ago, Field-Ops said:

I know a little about the turbo, but what's the blip switch for?

Blip switch has been there since Flying Circus was added. It was the only method of slowing rotary engines that didn't have a throttle control. Pressing the blip switch cuts the ignition to some of the cylinders; not without its dangers though.

17 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I know a little about the turbo, but what's the blip switch for?

WW1 rotary engines; Fokker DR1, Sopworth Camel, etc.

Edit; Wot Mr. Cat said.........

Edited by DD_Arthur

1 hour ago, 216th_Cat said:

Blip switch has been there since Flying Circus was added. It was the only method of slowing rotary engines that didn't have a throttle control. Pressing the blip switch cuts the ignition to some of the cylinders; not without its dangers though.

Ever wonder why the cowls were horseshoe shaped?  It was to prevent raw gasoline from pooling underneath a hot engine.  Seems almost insane the every day risks of flying some of those machines.

^ Not soon enough, unfortunately (talking about Saipan Island as seen above, or any PTO map for that matter 😍).

Oh boy, you mean they had silly Unboxing Videos all the way back then as well?? 😂

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, blitze said:

Oh boy, you mean they had silly Unboxing Videos all the way back then as well?? 😂

Hilarious! 😂

But how interesting is that unboxing and assembly!

14 hours ago, blitze said:

If you liked our video dont forget to like and subscribe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

O boy o boy!

Soon we will be Seal clubbing like its going out of style, poor wheraboos are going to be switching sides and salt mining will become popular again :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

O boy o boy!

Soon we will be Seal clubbing like its going out of style, poor wheraboos are going to be switching sides and salt mining will become popular again :biggrin:

I hope you're joking. I couldn't even explain in words how delusional you'd have to be to think the allies will be seal clubbing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

O boy o boy!

nice video, but z 109k4 will fix any problem at any alt, no clubbing alowed with it in area :) i dont expect from how spit9 boost limits are set well be geting high boosts for 47s so i expect k4 will be more manuverable, and more faster, and more easy to engine manage in game, if that 47 had 1 or 2 magic 23mm insted thouse .50 cals that would be interesting situation online 😄

Edited by 77.CountZero

I think it might be fairly even against 109 K-4 even if it will have slight edge because of higher top speed and turn. K-4 will cruise much slower(without MW50) and P-47 can likely reliably escape from it. Once compressibility effects are introduced 109 will likely be worse in high speed, high altitude maneuvering

1 hour ago, 77.CountZero said:

nice video, but z 109k4 will fix any problem at any alt, no clubbing alowed with it in area :) i dont expect from how spit9 boost limits are set well be geting high boosts for 47s so i expect k4 will be more manuverable, and more faster, and more easy to engine manage in game, if that 47 had 1 or 2 magic 23mm insted thouse .50 cals that would be interesting situation online 😄

65" HG WEP is what we should have, around 2600hp.

Only one possible power setting for the P-47 at this time in the war (unless using 150 fuel)

Standard power setting for our P-47 will be 65", there is no other option for the P-47. We'll be getting around 443mph at 29k with this setting (at least we should get this)

The P-47 will hold it's own at most altitudes and will be the fastest thing in the game at 30k ft.

K4 will undoubtedly be more maneuverable (except for roll rate and at high speed) and will be faster at most altitudes but the P-47 will still be a tough opponent when flown skillfully.

Even though the K-4 is faster the P-47 is still the better high altitude fighter and will be able to handle itself much better up high than the K-4 can.

Edited by Legioneod

On 12/5/2017 at 4:14 PM, DressedWings said:

Specifically for the 1945 scenario, I'd love to see some info on the Thunderbolt(s) that will be featured in Battle of Bodenplatte. 

I know in the announcement thread the discussion of razorbacks occurred, with the question of whether they were still in use (especially during Bodenplatte). The 366th Fighter Group in fact had many razorbacks still in January 1945. Bob Brulle shot down an FW 190 with one during Bodenplatte. 

It was up to the pilots. I've read a couple memoirs where P-51 and P-47 pilots stuck with their razorbacks rather than bubble canopy. 

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

Even though the K-4 is faster the P-47 is still the better high altitude fighter and will be able to handle itself much better up high than the K-4 can.

The Jug has (imo) a better anti-fighter armament, too. Much higher rate of fire, better ballistics and the gyro-sight mod.

(the gyro was mounted in the P-47 cockpit in one of DD pictures)

19 minutes ago, Ehret said:

The Jug has (imo) a better anti-fighter armament, too. Much higher rate of fire, better ballistics and the gyro-sight mod.

(the gyro was mounted in the P-47 cockpit in one of DD pictures)

Agreed. Everyone always goes on and on about cannons but imo .50s are superior, plus they have much more ammo.

4 hours ago, DSR_T-888 said:

I hope you're joking. I couldn't even explain in words how delusional you'd have to be to think the allies will be seal clubbing.

Allied certainly won't be seal clubbing but the Germans will no longer have a large advantage, what gives the Germans an advantage against the Russians will no longer work against the western aircraft (for the most part anyways)

8 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Allied certainly won't be seal clubbing but the Germans will no longer have a large advantage, what gives the Germans an advantage against the Russians will no longer work against the western aircraft (for the most part anyways)

Thus, all the set-in-their-ways wheeraboos gonna get lots of love and appreciation :crazy:

1 hour ago, Y-29.Silky said:

It was up to the pilots. I've read a couple memoirs where P-51 and P-47 pilots stuck with their razorbacks rather than bubble canopy. 

It was up to the pilots in some cases as far as I know, but the 366th FG I mentioned had mix and matched because they didn't have enough bubble canopy models at the time. Besides that, squadrons definitely stuck with razorback/malcolm hood canopies later on based on preference.

Image result for p51d mustang 20th fighter group
Off topic but I had no idea this thread was still going! I should visit these forums more often 😛

7 hours ago, Talon_ said:

15 minutes of water injection too:dance:

The dorsal fin on the Malcolm-hooded airframe is interesting.

B/C airframes were used for quite some time after the D appeared. Also due to performance-differences between B/C and D models (part engine-dependant, part cleaner B/C airframe).

10 hours ago, Talon_ said:

10 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Only one possible power setting for the P-47 at this time in the war (unless using 150 fuel)

Standard power setting for our P-47 will be 65", there is no other option for the P-47. We'll be getting around 443mph at 29k with this setting (at least we should get this)

The P-47 will hold it's own at most altitudes and will be the fastest thing in the game at 30k ft.

K4 will undoubtedly be more maneuverable (except for roll rate and at high speed) and will be faster at most altitudes but the P-47 will still be a tough opponent when flown skillfully.

should  :) who knows what will be in game and when i just see what we get in spit 9 and how they brake it in last patch even more im not expecting mutch from 47 performances

we have 190a3 and a5 as fastest things abow 7km in game for long time and no one bathers to fix it, i expect k4 will be faster then 47 in game at all alts just from how i see game works now and how other usa airplanes are modeled by now, its flying game performances what we get not real life, im looking forward to 47 and 38 but i dont expect any ground braking performances in game from them

should  :) who knows what will be in game and when i just see what we get in spit 9 and how they brake it in last patch even more im not expecting mutch from 47 performances

we have 190a3 and a5 as fastest things abow 7km in game for long time and no one bathers to fix it, i expect k4 will be faster then 47 in game at all alts just from how i see game works now and how other USA airplanes are modeled by now, its flying game performances what we get not real life, im looking forward to 47 and 38 but i dont expect any ground braking performances in game from them

There is literally no other power option for the P-47, it will have to be 65" because that is all that was used. 

The K4 will most definitely be faster than the P-47 at low and mid altitudes, that's a historical fact. We are getting a P-47D not an M or N so don't expect to be the fastest thing in the sky unless you are at high altitude.

Another thing that people need to consider is that 109s hate speed, the P-47 can see this to it's advantage due to it's high speed maneuverability. So even if the P-47 isn't faster it will still be more maneuverable at high speeds compared to the 109 even if it can't necessarily outturn it.

Dive, Roll, Zoom, and high speed maneuverability, those are the P-47 strengths and that is what we'll need to master in order to be good in it.

The P-47 will not be some uber plane, but it will be a very good aircraft that rewards pilots who fly to it's strengths.

• Upvote 2

And woe betide any aircraft that allows it even the briefest or snapshots.