Photo

Keymapping and joystickmapping in VR - (New player)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kiptanoi

Kiptanoi

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:48

Hi all.

I just started to play this game, and to make it even harder I started it in VR mode :P

I do have some questions to you who know the game well.

I am for the time using Oculus Rift and Logitech Extreme 3D PRO joystick (If I am going to like this game and play it for a long period, then I will upgrade my joystick)

My joystick got 6 buttons on base, 1 axis, and on joystick it got 6 buttons and a thumbstick that work like buttons to.

Question 1:

How would you mapp stuff to the joystick I am using now when playing german plane?

Question 2:

How would you mapp stuff to the joystick I am using now when playing russian plane?

Question 3

And how to mapp other important stuff when you are blind due to the Oculus Rift headset?

(I am using glasses, so push off and on headset to look at my keyboard is not what I like to do.

But I do have some buttons that I easy can reach and fumble to some others so say about 15 buttons on keyboard that I can mapp to stuff)

Thank you

#2 reddogdecapper

reddogdecapper

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:37

Hi, I’ve used a saitek x52pro which has a lot of buttons compared to yours. And I had to use a shift key so I doubled up on about half the buttons. Now I use a x55 which I’m almost there with covering all needed buttons without shift. So if your serious about it get a better stick and start reading and watching YouTube vids. If you pick up either of those joysticks above let me know and I’ll send you my orofile

#3 Kiptanoi

Kiptanoi

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:22

Hi, I’ve used a saitek x52pro which has a lot of buttons compared to yours. And I had to use a shift key so I doubled up on about half the buttons. Now I use a x55 which I’m almost there with covering all needed buttons without shift. So if your serious about it get a better stick and start reading and watching YouTube vids. If you pick up either of those joysticks above let me know and I’ll send you my orofile

Well, that did not give answer to any of my questions......  :P

Edited by Kiptanoi, 04 December 2017 - 11:23.

#4 =TBAS=Tripwire

=TBAS=Tripwire
  • Founder

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:00

Use a program that allows you to mimic a "shift" key.

Then you get double the buttons.

I use joytokey for this, im sure there are others.

Map joystick buttons to key presses, have one button set to "use joystick #N configuration" and then map that set of buttons to other functions. The 'use joystick #N configuration' acts like a shift button for a whole new set of button functions.

i7-7700k @ 4.8 | 16GB RAM | GTX1080ti | M2 SSD | TrackIR4 | HTC Vive | MSFFB2 + Joytokey | MFG Crosswind Pedals

#5 TG-55Panthercules

TG-55Panthercules
  • Founder

Posted 04 December 2017 - 19:03

I strongly suspect you're going to need a different joystick and perhaps some additional controllers (like throttle quadrants) in order to truly enjoy the VR experience.  You may be able to use something like VoiceAttack (or other voice-command program) to fill in some of the gaps, but I'm not sure it will be enough.

Below is a picture of the setup I'm currently using, for both German and Russian aircraft.  Might give you some ideas:

Attached File  BoS - Control mapping for VR.jpg   229.32KB   6 downloads

Edited by TG-55Panthercules, 04 December 2017 - 22:21.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz (Corsair H75 liquid cooler); 16GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz)
EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2, 11 GB; ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code MB; Realtek ROG SupremeFX audio
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Oculus Rift (CV1); Logitech Force 3D Pro; Saitek Rudder Pedals and Throttle Quadrants

#6 Kiptanoi

Kiptanoi

Posted 04 December 2017 - 22:07

Use a program that allows you to mimic a "shift" key.

Then you get double the buttons.

I use joytokey for this, im sure there are others.

Map joystick buttons to key presses, have one button set to "use joystick #N configuration" and then map that set of buttons to other functions. The 'use joystick #N configuration' acts like a shift button for a whole new set of button functions.

I will look more in to that, thank you =)

I strongly suspect you're going to need a different joystick and perhaps some additional controllers (like throttle quadrants) in order to turly enjoy the VR experience.  You may be able to use something like VoiceAttack (or other voice-command program) to fill in some of the gaps, but I'm not sure it will be enough.

Below is a picture of the setup I'm currently using, for both German and Russian aircraft.  Might give you some ideas:

attachicon.gifBoS - Control mapping for VR.jpg

That picture setup is using the same joystic as I have, so I need 2x throttle quadrants then for 100 dollar...... 50 dollar each  :P

That would be some great price for test out a game  :P

Well, now I know the answer anyway. 

Thank you =)

Edited by Kiptanoi, 04 December 2017 - 22:08.

#7 TG-55Panthercules

TG-55Panthercules
  • Founder

Posted 04 December 2017 - 22:24

That picture setup is using the same joystic as I have, so I need 2x throttle quadrants then for 100 dollar...... 50 dollar each  :P

That would be some great price for test out a game  :P

Well, now I know the answer anyway. 

Thank you =)

Well, I like to fly a lot of the twin engine planes in VR (checking six isn't as big a deal since you usually can't see anything back there anyway and you have a gunner back there to warn you and deal with them, plus they're just some of my favorites), so I added the second throttle quadrant so I could have one for each engine.  I think you'd be able to get by with one for most single seaters, and besides they just make things more fun (with or without VR), so it's not that bad an investment to try things out.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz (Corsair H75 liquid cooler); 16GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz)
EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2, 11 GB; ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code MB; Realtek ROG SupremeFX audio
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Oculus Rift (CV1); Logitech Force 3D Pro; Saitek Rudder Pedals and Throttle Quadrants

#8 katdog5

katdog5

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:25

Well, I like to fly a lot of the twin engine planes in VR (checking six isn't as big a deal since you usually can't see anything back there anyway and you have a gunner back there to warn you and deal with them, plus they're just some of my favorites), so I added the second throttle quadrant so I could have one for each engine.  I think you'd be able to get by with one for most single seaters, and besides they just make things more fun (with or without VR), so it's not that bad an investment to try things out.

Those are pretty cool. May have to pick some of those up. #p38

i7-6700k @ 4.69Ghz / 1080GTX / MSI z270 Gaming M7 / Oculus CV1 VR / 16GB DDR4 3060Hz / Hyper 212 Evo / CH Products / 1.7SS + SteamVR Beta / 2xAA / ASW Off / Advanced Super Sampling Disabled / Dynamic Resolution Factor .08

#9 TP_Jacko

TP_Jacko
  • Founder

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:45

Will you be mostly a single engined aircraft.

#10 Sokol1

Sokol1
  • Founder

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:57

Unfortunately "entry-level" joysticks* has not button properly placed to be a "shift", to be pressed with one finger of right hand - typically little finger, allowing easy that other fingers, thumb and index press top buttons doubling this functions.

But as you use only this "3-in-1" joystick and need keep left hand over their base can set a button there to be the "shift", and can maximize the button usage.

I a "few" buttons stick dedicated a button for rockets and another for bombs is a vast - unless you play all time with unlimited ammo, if not map a button for "reload all guns" is not needed.

The same buttons that fire MG and Cannons can fire rockets and drop bombs under "shift".  So can spare 2 buttons in suggested profile for others functions. 

Buttons maping depends on player "gameplay" style. Casual "funseker" player needs in QM is different from an MP player in "full switch" (that "full real" BS) server.

And things like "open canopy", "parking brakes" (this work in this game?) are secondary or tertiary functions, don't need be mapped in joystick buttons, can even not use this things, they are just cosmetic".

* Exception VKB Gladiator Mk.II "vanilla", that has 3 buttons (+POV HAT) only on grip, but one ca be use as "pinky" button and the other 2 physical buttons result in + 6 virtual buttons.

Edited by Sokol1, 07 December 2017 - 11:08.

... guns were too quiet when engine is running and speed is high, and there was no "immersion of fire and metal storm in 2 meters aside of me"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users