Sign in to follow this  
Hans140

Laptop for Flying Circus

Hi guys,

Stoked about the new annoucement of FC. I am a dedicated player of ROF since 2013 and was running my game on this:

Lenovo Y580

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideapad-y580/specs/

- with about 70-80% max video setting pretty smooth in MP. Single missions with lots of objects downgraded the FPS significantly. 

Now, I am thinking about an ugrade considering the swith to BOX engine. Would the below option run the game similarly as I was used to? I am mostly MP player:

Lenovo Y520

https://www3.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/ideapad/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Lenovo-Y520-15IKBN/p/88GMY500808

Thanks for your comments. Salute!

The game would be playable on that laptop. Currently, both the CPU and GPU are adequate for BoX @1080p as long as you are willing to reduce the settings. 

However, I do not know exactly how well it will perform. Keep in mind that Flying Circus will release about a year from now. Many things can change in that time.

It is possible that the system requirements will be higher if the engine receives further upgrades. Also, new laptops released ~1 year from now will certainly be faster and might offer better value. 

Therefore, it might be good to wait until the Flying Circus release is closer unless you need the laptop now.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

Hello checkin in again. Just got a good deal on the following gaming laptop from Lenovo. It should be running IL2 just fine, but the performance in game is not really good. I play the balanced settings and getting drops when I switch from HUD, open map etc.

Also, the texture quality is nowhere I am used to seeing from YT videos. The laptop has Nvidia GTX 1060, which is VR ready. My plan was to fly VR on this laptop, but now it seems it can barely manage normal playing.

Legion-Y720/p/88GMY700794

Is anyone gaming on laptop and/or has any idea where might be the problem?

Edited by Hans140

12 minutes ago, Hans140 said:

It should be running IL2 just fine, but the performance in game is not really good. I play the balanced settings and getting drops when I switch from HUD, open map etc.

It's possible that aggressive CPU thermal throttling is the problem. If the GPU 3D graph in the 'Performance' tab of Task Manager doesn't stay close to 100% while playing Il-2, you'll know that poor CPU performance is slowing you down. If so, there may be a few changes that can help, but it's not guaranteed.

18 minutes ago, Hans140 said:

Also, the texture quality is nowhere I am used to seeing from YT videos.

Texture size is controlled by the graphics settings in the game.

19 minutes ago, Hans140 said:

The laptop has Nvidia GTX 1060, which is VR ready. My plan was to fly VR on this laptop, but now it seems it can barely manage normal playing.

The laptop is unsuitable for VR in Il-2. In fact, even some of the most powerful gaming laptops will struggle to achieve good results. Again, it's largely down to the CPU-bound situation.

As a comparison here is the laptop I am using, https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G752VS-OC-Edition-7th-Gen-Intel-Core/overview/

I have all ingame graphics settings on Ultra, runs at about 90 fps, in a high action/density area on MP it has gone down to 50s fps.I am not using VR, that is a different animal. This laptop seems to be about twice as much as the ones you are looking at though.