wonders9

Modifier Keys Blocked from Use as Single Keys

Modifier Keys (for example, Left_Control, Left_Shift) on the keyboard are large in size and occupy the most conspicuous positions; so they are the most easily accessible keys on the keyboard. By contrast, hitting other smaller keys will need more time and attention.

However, in IL-2 BoS, a modifier key (e.g. Shift) cannot be assigned as a single key to an action in game. For instance, you cannot assign "Right_Control" to "Gear Up/Down". In the old IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, as we know, there is no problem in doing this and it does not cause any problems; so I guess it is possible in general.

In addition, perhaps because of that, these modifier keys cannot be used as Snap View Modifier keys.

So it would be really nice if these modifier keys on the keyboard can be made functional as single keys in the sim. 

Thank you if this can be considered.

_

Edited by wonders9
  • Upvote 1

Modifier Keys (for example, Left_Control, Left_Shift) on the keyboard are large in size and occupy the most conspicuous positions; so they are the most easily accessible keys on the keyboard. By contrast, hitting other smaller keys will need more time and attention.

However, in IL-2 BoS, a modifier key (e.g. Shift) cannot be assigned as a single key to an action in game. For instance, you cannot assign "Right_Control" to "Gear Up/Down". In the old IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, as we know, there is no problem in doing this and it does not cause any problems; so I guess it is possible in general.

In addition, perhaps because of that, these modifier keys cannot be used as Snap View Modifier keys.

So it would be really nice if these modifier keys on the keyboard can be made functional as single keys in the sim. 

Thank you if this can be considered.

_

There might be a limitation in that it would disable all actions already bound to use the modifiers. If that happens I would guess a workaround would be a notification stating what you've just done so as to not cause confusion and frustration.

Have you tried altering the default/current.map file?

// KOS GENERATED INPUT MAPFILE
// IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO CHANGE ANYTHING HERE!
// (Well, it is still possible, but on your own risk ;o))

modifier("key_LCONTROL");
modifier("key_RCONTROL");
modifier("key_LSHIFT");
modifier("key_RSHIFT");
modifier("key_LMENU");
modifier("key_RMENU");
modifier("key_LWIN");
modifier("key_RWIN");

////////////////////////////////////

I guess you can edit them and replace the modifier with different keys. This will screw up all the default keybinds which use those modifiers though. 

There might be a limitation in that it would disable all actions already bound to use the modifiers. If that happens I would guess a workaround would be a notification stating what you've just done so as to not cause confusion and frustration.

I meant that a key such as "Left_Shift" should be able to be used as a button alone for any action, just as "A", "B", "C", etc, are used. Games like Counter-Strike, Battlefield 2, and so on, all allow the keyboard modifier keys to be used alone ("Left_Control" mapped to "Crouch", for instance). So it is not just IL2 1946 that allows free use of the modifier keys. It's up to the user to avoid conflicts of key assignments.

Have you tried altering the default/current.map file?

// KOS GENERATED INPUT MAPFILE
// IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO CHANGE ANYTHING HERE!
// (Well, it is still possible, but on your own risk ;o))

modifier("key_LCONTROL");
modifier("key_RCONTROL");
modifier("key_LSHIFT");
modifier("key_RSHIFT");
modifier("key_LMENU");
modifier("key_RMENU");
modifier("key_LWIN");
modifier("key_RWIN");

////////////////////////////////////

I guess you can edit them and replace the modifier with different keys. This will screw up all the default keybinds which use those modifiers though. 

I had tried it before but it does not work. Despite deleting or changing these lines, nothing happens to the game, and after one exits the game all these default settings are restored.

Some gaming keyboards like Logitech and SteelSeries have programming software which allows you to replace any key with any other.   As far as I can tell, that is pretty much the only way to achieve this right now.

For others, you could perhaps google for general purpose key assignment software.  I believe autohotkey might be able to do this, if you take the time to learn how it works. That's a very versatile program.

CloD has a far better setup for key bindings, I figure.  There it is possible to use any combination of any two keys, modifier or otherwise.  It makes for some very handy bindings, such as use of the spacebar as a modifier key and several other similar conveniences.

I would be very pleased if one day BoX would give us anywhere near the flexibility of CloD control assignments.  That is one aspect in which the old game still remains far ahead of it's younger cousin.

Edited by 19//Moach

Some gaming keyboards like Logitech and SteelSeries have programming software which allows you to replace any key with any other.   As far as I can tell, that is pretty much the only way to achieve this right now.

For others, you could perhaps google for general purpose key assignment software. I believe autohotkey might be able to do this, if you take the time to learn how it works. That's a very versatile program.

Thanks for the info. By the way, I have already tried a utility called SharpKeys, which can be used to re-map keys on the keyboard via modifying Windows registry, but BoS simply ignores that change. I hope autohotkey will work.

CloD has a far better setup for key bindings, I figure.  There it is possible to use any combination of any two keys, modifier or otherwise.  It makes for some very handy bindings, such as use of the spacebar as a modifier key and several other similar conveniences.

I would be very pleased if one day BoX would give us anywhere near the flexibility of CloD control assignments.  That is one aspect in which the old game still remains far ahead of it's younger cousin.

Well said. That is also what I would want to say. Yeah, any combination of any two keys.