Sign in to follow this  
IckyATLAS

What is the target for ingame graphic quality

Have a look at the following cinematics that include ships and planes.

I am wondering when will we have an ingame image quality similar to this. Smoke and fire effects as well as the water simulation, ships and sea water interface. 

How many generations of graphic cards will have to pass before we get that.

Or is it impossible to have with polygon based systems. Woould it work only with real-time raytracing type solutions.

Wow, I would need a PC sponsored by NASA to run a game with such cinematic quality like this!

It would be great if all games actually looked like this in MP

Regards

H

Edited by Haza

A 7Ghz 16-core CPU with two GTX 2080ti 24GB video cards ruining SLI.

Yeah, I have that. ;)

Interesting trailer. All it needs now is a final title "IL-2 : Battle of Midway" With a sub-title... "out now!"   ;)

Certainly impressive graphics. I don't know about the GPU... but it's the APU* that is really impressive. :wacko:

Still, it reminds me a bit of the IL-2:BoS trailer :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EttVIq9Pig  :ph34r:

*Anachronism Processing Unit

with time it will be like that, remember how it was 20 years ago and how it is now

Almost all the visuals in the cinematic already exist in some form in real-time game engines. There are many popular games that showcase amazing water or fire effects. Current computers are able to render them. 

However, it is prohibitively expensive to create a game that has all these features. There simply isn't enough time for everything; developers must carefully allocate resources only to the most important aspects of their games. Yes, there exist games that have far better water or fire effects. However, Il-2 annihilates them in many (arguably more important) respects. For example, Il-2 focuses on things such as realistic flight physics, historical accuracy, and very large terrains. Of course, it can't have everything.

I'm convinced that such graphics already exist and will continue to become more popular. I do not know, however, the time it will take to get a game similar to Il-2 that has all of these features.

Remember that such efforts suffer from rapidly diminishing returns. The Il-2 from 2001 looked perhaps half as good as BoX, yet it had far more content in terms of maps and aircraft. Of course, BoX required far more work to create despite having less content, likely largely due to its increased visual fidelity. Therefore, I argue that improving graphics past a certain point at the expense of gameplay will never make sense. 

However, I have no doubt that graphics will continue to improve slowly as new technologies become easier to use.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

pre rendered videos

The clip could have been rendered on a GTX980 or something old like that.

Its just pre rendered. (2 min clip might take 12-72 hours to render and is recorded then its played back at normal speed)
Just like all the special effects

I would guess 6-8 years for an AAA game and 10-12 years for a sim to have those graphics mainstream.

"If Michael Bay and John Woo had been admirals during WW2"  

Nice effects, but geometry... ugh.

Now that you've shown the picture, you are right awful geometry on that shot. But on others the tissue is impressive. I think it is a combination of various cinematics of different games so quality varies.