Because you can't get every plane into a module. You can expect it either in a Battle of Berlin or Bagration module at a later date or as a premium AC somewhere down the road.

• Upvote 2

Buy the Yak-1 s.127 and you get basically the same thing, and it will be fully playable in the career mode for Kuban.

Yak-9 were not present at Kuban in timeframe of main air battles in any significant numbers,if ever. Havent found any IAP using them.They were first deployed in numbers at central part of the front (Orel,Kursk,Bryiansk). Tbilisi Zavod No.31 was primary supplier of fighters for North-caucasian front and Black See Fleet (VVS CF). Yep,LaGG-3s. The rest were lend-lease cobras delivered thru Iran (geographical proximity),Yak-1s and 7s....aaand some spitfires ;)

I’d much rather have a 1943 version of the LaGG-3 than the Yak-9 tbh.

• Upvote 3

Yak-9 were not present at Kuban in timeframe of main air battles in any significant numbers,if ever. Havent found any IAP using them.

There were about 10 Yak-9 in the 15th and 43th IAP of 278th IAD (3rd IAK)

Link to my post on the Russian forum https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/6073-yak-9-v-nebe-stalingrada-i-ne-tolko/?do=findComment&comment=545589

I’d much rather have a 1943 version of the LaGG-3 than the Yak-9 tbh.

Yes, we need late version of LaGG-3 for BOK, it was the main fighter in the summer and autumn of 1943.

I've to use LaGG-3 s.29 in the future campaign to show some fighter regiments...

• Upvote 11

Buy the Yak-1 s.127 and you get basically the same thing, and it will be fully playable in the career mode for Kuban.

yak9 can into 37mm though :D

• Upvote 1

Yes, we need late version of LaGG-3 for BOK, it was the main fighter in the summer and autumn of 1943.

I've to use LaGG-3 s.29 in the future campaign to show some fighter regiments...

We could make the same talk for Moscow or early war scenarios... It would be nice to have early Yak-1 and LaGG-3...

BTW, which series should have been present in Kuban? 35th? 66th?

I'm not an expert on the Russian birds - wasn't the U model the pinnacle of that line - or would that technically be the Yak -3?

yak9 can into 37mm though :D

Only on the Yak-9T which had several modifications from the base Yak-9 variant and I don't think any were in the Black Sea area until 1944.

I'm not an expert on the Russian birds - wasn't the U model the pinnacle of that line - or would that technically be the Yak -3?

The Yak-9U is distinct from the Yak-3. The Yak-3 was a lightweight model with shorter wings, revised canopy and powered mostly by the M-105PF2 engine. The Yak-9U comes in a couple of versions. An early version which borrows a lot of features from the Yak-3 (chin mounted radiator moved to the wings for example) and then a late version which we had back in IL-2: 1946 that is powered by a more powerful VK107 engine.

To the OP: We do have the Yak-7B in a VERY late model of that aircraft. It's basically one step away from being a Yak-9 but it comes with an extra machine gun :)

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Upvote 1

You can expect it either in a Battle of Berlin or Bagration module at a later date or as a premium AC somewhere down the road.

:blink:   aaaahh  is that official??   

No, I think he just means those are the battles we would likely get it as an aircraft in if we were to get those battles. 

We could make the same talk for Moscow or early war scenarios... It would be nice to have early Yak-1 and LaGG-3...

BTW, which series should have been present in Kuban? 35th? 66th?

Somewhere between those 2. For most of the timeframe of BoK, the standards of a newly produced LaGG would be more similar to the s.66.

Somewhere between those 2. For most of the timeframe of BoK, the standards of a newly produced LaGG would be more similar to the s.66.

What changes would that entail?

What changes would that entail?

Brano can no doubt go into more detail, but IIRC we are talking overall lightening of the structure, reduced fuel load, armoured windscreen, leading edge slats, retractable tail wheel and a few aerodynamic refinements, all adding up to a significant improvement in both performance and handling.

Just out of my head. 535 kmh at deck (instead of 505) and perhaps 100 or 150 kg lighter plus a bubble canopy. This will come close to a yak1b and la5.

Just out of my head. 535 kmh at deck (instead of 505) and perhaps 100 or 150 kg lighter plus a bubble canopy. This will come close to a yak1b and la5.

You mean a LaGG-3 that performs well? I call shenanigans! :)

No bubble canopy for the LaGG I think. Only difference in the canopy is the standardization of the same model armoured windscreen as on the La-5.

Only LaGG 3 with a bubble were test aircraft. I can find some web info on these AC identified as the 105. Seems it was a decent performer but still outclassed by the La-5.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

Yak-9 was the most produced Soviet fighter. I think this bird should be another option for the players. Battle of Kuban happen in 1943 when Yak-9’s was already deployed in frontline. Is there any proof that show Yak-9 was not in Southern frontline at 1943?

I wonder why you guys are in the hurry to arrive to the end of the trail

Maybe we get lucky after Bodenplatte, while the main Crew moves to the Pacific (or Burma/China), with more independent Contractors building the Soviet Counterpieces to a Mid 1944 Scenario around Odessa, the Baltic or Minsk, or anywhere else along Bagration. 

Even Vistula-Oder Offensive would be possible. 

And then a Yak-9 would be feasible. 

• Upvote 1

I'm a huge fan of the Yak series and while I'm very excited to fly a Yak-9 again sometime in the future... We're doing ok with Yak fighters and IMHO we have ones more relevant to the battles that we're fighting. Yak-1 Series 69, Yak-1B Series 127 and Yak-7B Series 36 are all great fighters and two of those three are extremely 1943 relevant and essential to the southern front.

• Upvote 1

I agree, I'd rather go backwards in time, to Kiev or even better; the winter war!

• Upvote 3

LaGG 3 105 Dubler would be nuts . . . but yeah its just an Prototype which wasnt good enough for mass productions :< 

But i would be happy if we at least would get an LaGG 3 - 66

btw. the Dubler looks pretty nice 

%D0%92%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B9+%D1

I think I will be spending a lot of time in the 7B.  The first of the "heavy" Yaks to be introduced and the precursor to the Yak 9.

Kuban will be a turning point for Allied pilots.  More capable single seaters, and the A20 will bring a new dimension to VVS ground pounding capability.

The Luftwaffe will still maintain it's single seater performance edge, but the margin will be closer than ever before.

Interesting times ahead.

• Upvote 1

I just hope we will get far into 2018 before the BOOB-aircraft start to dominate servers. With BoK we have a pretty well-rounded plane set for the GPW 41-43 and a solid basis for great MP, I’d hate to give that up for “Mustangs vs. Kurfürst 2.0”.

• Upvote 4

I completely agree with you Finkeren.

The late war plane sets have never been my favorite.

I just hope we will get far into 2018 before the BOOB-aircraft start to dominate servers. With BoK we have a pretty well-rounded plane set for the GPW 41-43 and a solid basis for great MP, I’d hate to give that up for “Mustangs vs. Kurfürst 2.0”.

I completely agree with you Finkeren.

The late war plane sets have never been my favorite.

I feel though that we are in the minority with this. 

What happened to the Murmank Map that was being worked on some time ago? Anything from the Odessa Map? All of these were for a 1941 Scenario, with early Stukas, Hurricanes, SB-3, DB-3 or Il-4, maybe Do-17 and Bf110Cs. 

We may not be allied in our politics, but I stand with you on this. 

Agreed. Feel like a kid on christmas again counting days til I get to close that car door on the 39, while BoP doesn't get me going at all. Yet as the masses want their iconic p-51's, 262's and the team is short on coders it was a brilliant decision and will probably be a sales success compared to a lesser known theatre. (So we can afford to go somewhere more interesting later)

I do hope we'll see some separation of the aircraft sets. In the Kuban scenario, conceivably you can have a good portion of the BoM/BoS/BoK sets together because that really happened. Bodenplatte aircraft are a separate bunch. I'd ask the same if the next battle was Berlin 1945... again there's quite a gulf.

I'm guessing there will be a great deal of interest in the western aircraft and therefore some servers may run a second setup specifically with those though I hope to play both in multiplayer. Variety is the spice of life :D

I'm guessing there will be a great deal of interest in the western aircraft and therefore some servers may run a second setup specifically with those though I hope to play both in multiplayer. Variety is the spice of life :D

Problem is, that for a long time variety will be extremely limited on BOOB servers, even after release with essentially only fighters available on a single map, where for the Eastern Front we will have 35+ aircraft of all sorts and at least 5 different maps (6 when Tank Crew comes out)

There is just no way BoBP (I promise I’ll stop saying BOOB now) can offer the same experience, but I fear, that we’ll see a majority of servers move away from the Eastern Front anyway due to the perceived popularity of the Western aircraft.

Problem is, that for a long time variety will be extremely limited on BOOB servers, even after release with essentially only fighters available on a single map, where for the Eastern Front we will have 35+ aircraft of all sorts and at least 5 different maps (6 when Tank Crew comes out)

There is just no way BoBP (I promise I’ll stop saying BOOB now) can offer the same experience, but I fear, that we’ll see a majority of servers move away from the Eastern Front anyway due to the perceived popularity of the Western aircraft.

I might have it all wrong, but wouldn't it be hypothetically possible for a server admin to have a BoBP planes set on any of the existing maps ? It might not be strictly historical, but doesn't necessarily need to be to keep things interesting.

I dunno about BoBP devolving to Mustang vs Kurfurst... the experience in one sim won't necessarily translate to another. Moreover, keep in mind that there's plenty of good hardware besides the Mustang and the Kurfurst. The Jug, the Dora, the 262, and the Tempest will all be top-end hardware, and I imagine the mission makers could go and put in earlier scenarios that would give the Gustavs and Spits plenty of options (even if you DO have to suspend disbelief a bit when it comes to frontage).

My main concern is that, with BoBP, it will be hard to have any kind of rotation on a server that goes in and out of BoBP, because there's no planeset commonality on the allied side. 

What I mean is: with the eastern BoX, regardless of whether a mission occurs in 43 or 41, it's possible to include some airframes that allow players who own only one module to play. For example, if I only owned BOM, I probably could still fly the Mig-3 or the P40 in '43 over Kuban. But anyone who only has BoBP has no option whatsoever outside of actual western scenarios.

Granted, we're going to have the same problem with people who only buy Kuban. If someone only has Kuban, and try to play on WoL when it's running a '41 scenario, they're going to have to sit it out.

I wonder if the devs have any thoughts on resolving this problem, or perhaps they're just using this as a way to promote purchasing all the BoX packages.

Having spent the past few weeks messing around with War Thunder arcade mode (it's surprisingly fun for what it is), I now understand much more cogently than before how much that game is one of the primary feeders for fresh BoX players.

Besides DCS and IL-2:1946, there just aren't that many other WWII -themed aviation games or sims out there, and War Thunder is easily the most popular, currently. There will be 20,000+ players in weekday primetime during the GMT-8 timezone I play in, and sometimes double that on the weekends. Any given mission will have more players than the totality of the WoL MP at the same time.

Anyways, that sim features a pretty broad array of aircraft from the 20th century, and a pretty comprehensive set from both the Eastern and Western / PTO fronts. It will really be down to the server ops and mission makers to figure out how to address the plane sets offered, but we can and should expect either to have a "free for all" with everything offered (a la RoF) or else to have certain maps have limited planes on offer, and you either buy the planes or play a different server.

There could very likely be a "all BoBP, all the time" server created and that server could very well draw players away from WoL, splitting the player base (perhaps especially in non-Euro timezones). Remains to be seen if any corollary influx of new players,  drawn by BoBP, will be sufficient to make up for such splitting if it does occur (which I think it almost certainly will).

Interesting times and all that...