Sign in to follow this  
BRADYS555

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS junk or can it be saved

It has to be the most beautiful stick I have ever seen the throttle quadrant works fine but the stick is junk, the controls input sticks and it gets u killed the buttons also stick and get u killed, my 15 year old CH stick still works perfectly but if thier is a fix for this I would love to hear it, it was not cheap after all

the controls input sticks and it gets u killed the buttons also stick and get u killed,

What you mean with this " input sticks"?

So I bank to the left and then I bring the stick back to centre, The plane keeps banking to the left no mater what I do with the stick, the after an interval, which typically involves a lot if profanity and some banging of the stick it will except controls inputs again, until it sticks yet again.

The buttons are slow to respond some times u press them and noting happens right away

Where did you buy it and how long ago? Sounds like a warranty issue and definitely not a common complaint about the Warthog.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

did u contact TM, they have been ultra helpful in the past (sent replacement buttons, replaced throttle under warranty once, replaced stick once - forgot what that one was, like 4 ya, some major mechanical failure..)

i have had 3 sets total , ever since they came out, 2 between my main 2 rigs, and one back up (could not pass a huge sale couple years ago, $299..).  Have not had issues like yours, however, srry

Could be the magnet for the Hallsensor got lose. I had that happen too, in my case there was no axis input at all. If you still have warranty,send it back. If not you may have to open it up and see whats wrong. It's not hard to do,but needs a bit of caution when putting it back together because of the wires running through the gimbal. There are some tutorials on youtube on how to do it best.

Yep if the hall effect moves you can recalibrate them with a utility (I have to do this after a full disassemble/reassemble for maintenance, greasing, etc. Thrust master support can provide you the utility; otherwise let me know and I'll post a copy.

Its almost a year old, like 11th months I think.

I had read wheir many preople had problems with them, concerning sticking,at first I thought this was my iuse but then i read into a bit more and understood its was a defect in the ball that was causing an actual Mechanical sticking, my stick moves very smoothly, so this is not the same issue.

I also read that contacting their support was a nightmare and that it was almost imposable to get any help out of them so I sorta gave up it and just kept using my CH stick.

How longs the warranty for?

Sorry to hear about the troubles but I have been using my TM Warthog for several years and have found it to be a perfect performer

no stickiness, no failed buttons etc.

Currently using the 10cm extension

I would send it back to thrustmaster or pickup a replacement joystick on ebay.

BRADYS555

Press Win key + R in the box type joy.cpl hity Enter.

In the new window select you joystick, then click in properties and test the joystick moving the grip in + and in circles.

If the cross don't follow your movements the joystick is defective.

Thrustmaster has replacement parts for some defects, no cheap and shipping cost from France start in ~30 Euros. Contact then.

BTW - Don't use the calibration in Windows Games Controller, use the software from Thrustmaster.

Edited by Sokol1

BRADYS555

Press Win key + R in the box type joy.cpl hity Enter.

In the new window select you joystick, then click in properties and test the joystick moving the grip in + and in circles.

If the cross don't follow your movements the joystick is defective.

Thrustmaster has replacement parts for some defects, no cheap and shipping cost from France start in ~30 Euros. Contact then.

BTW - Don't use the calibration in Windows Games Controller, use the software from Thrustmaster.

Ok, I did that and I calibrated it and it still sticks, you can see it move about the box, the cross, and then the cross just stays in one pace as u keep moving the stick and it will "unstick" after u move it around some but it still is  unpredictable and will not always "unstick" right away, also the buttons don't always respond when u push them.

This suggests to me that perhaps its the card in the stick, the circuit board? theirs nothing consistent about the switch's not working or the  place where the stick is sticking, again this is not a physical sticking of the stick but the input 

Edited by BRADYS555

When you remove the base plate you can see the circuit board. Check and see if any conector came lose or something. Don't forget to unplug the stick from the USB port before you try this. Could be that some of the wires came loose maybe?

Edited by ST_Pirato

If the movement of grip is free and not "sandy/griding"* could be the magnet over the sensor that became loose.

In this picture is possible see the sensor and the magnet.

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/images/technology_174a_022.jpg

Sensor is fixed in base, magnet is fixed in the part attached to the grip and move with then.

This video maybe help in understand how is disassemble:

You need disassemble until this part, for inspect the sensor and magnet placement:

https://youtu.be/iS3t77k0M3I?t=245https://youtu.be/iS3t77k0M3I?t=316

In this video the magnet is loose from their support under the part that looks like a "belt".

Avoid touch circuit boards (PCB) with your hand -due static electricity, when open the base, as well force cables to avoid broken some connection.

Edited by Sokol1

Thank You, I submited a suport ticket depending on what they say, I will order the grease and get ready to operate:)

Don't use a petroleum based grease on plastic parts, they will soften the plastic after some time,

Dang I see soo many wrongs in this video :wacko: way too many to waste time commenting on.

Follow these greasing tips from this guy at your warthogs peril :o:  

Edited by Panp