ST_ami7b5

Anybody uses MSI Geforce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G card?

I have no experience with the 1060,but I used an MSI gaming GTX 770 for a long time, it is still in use with a friend, I had no issues with quality.

I used a GTX 970 for a long time (not msi) and was very impressed and I understand the 1060 has better performance and with 6gb vram it has BoS covered currently to spare.

My experiences are a bit out of date, so wait for current user opinion before making any decision. What resolution are you intending to use?

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

If you are upgrading from GTX 780ti the 1070 Would be the best (although more expensive) option, with release of 1070ti you may find some good bargains on standard 1070,which would be great for 1080p, the 1060 is also very good but not SUCH a big leap from GTX 780ti, of course these are just my opinions.. :)

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

Don't need a leap Dak, but finaly a card that won't crash like 780s do in BoX(only)...

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Edited by ST_ami7b5

I'm using it, same model (1060 6GB GamingX). I don't play SP, but I don't recall having any crashes. WOL crashes sometimes but I'm too far away (Brazil) and in general the crashes / freezes are on the looby or when I login in. During missions I seldom disco. September I had 19h of flight in WOL and 1 disco. Berloga the same thing. But they are both servers where my ping is 250+.

My VRAM goes around 3/3.5GB with settings in high or ultra (Kuban map with 16 planes and 500m). Frame rate at 60-59fps all the time. Some micro stutters (TrackIR 5) but I did not tested it properly, at all altitudes and I was at the deck at Kuban with Bf 110 and Pe-2.

Temperature around 57-65ºC (room temperature of 30ºC). With settings in ultra I get 55 to 85% GPU usage depending on the effects. Cockpit and fumes, bullets and fire gets to 85%. In general stays at 55-65%.

But it was just a quick test of one hour with a few settings. Found out that Kuban has better reflection so it seems -- close to what we have in ROF. Stalingrad has almost no reflection. But I need to check it thoroughly.

All this on this Kuban mission with 16 planes and at 500m (summer, around 12h).

Edit* - but I'm using Windows 7 64bits (Home Premium).

But I would try to wait for Volta. They might come on Q1 2018 and you will get a better card.

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

I would keep my 780 which performs well enough for me (Ultra/60fps).
The only reason I want to switch to 1060 are those f*** nasty crashes in BoX with 780.

All other sims (CLod, DCS, WoFF, RoF ...) and tens of those Steam games my grandson plays on my comp are doing well, no problems, no crashes, very good FPS on high/ultra settings.

But I pre-ordered BoBP and will pre-order Flying Circus and I lost all patience/hope 780's problems will be ever solved.

6GB version of MSI 1060 I can get for around 300 Eur, which is the maximum I am willing to spend to be able to fly BoX again.
Because it had worked well before a certain patch... 

Edited by ST_ami7b5

Don't need a leap Dak, but finaly a card that won't crash like 780s do in BoX(only)...

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

For BoX @ 1080p you should be fine with the GF1060, as you are opting for the 6 GB card. It delivers roughly 60% of a regular GF1080. Hence, I would not expect it to GPU constrain the game. Even in ultra settings, I would expect the game to be CPU restricted on a GF1060, as on 1440p, my GF1080 gets used <50%.

You should be able to get a GF1060 GB for ~$250 USD, witch gives it about the same value on the buck as the GF1080.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Sure, and I forgot to mention that my monitor is 2560X1080p (ultrawide). 33% wider.

• Upvote 1

I only have the 1050 which is a very poor relation of the 1060 but BoX runs happily at over 60fps on High.

• Upvote 2

The 1060 6 GB is entirely adequate for BoX at 1080p. It will not disappoint.

Howrver, the 6 GB version does not offer very good performance per dollar, but there isn’t anything else available at this price point unless you manage to find something from AMD or the previous Nvidia generation.

Thank you all guys,

my only concern was I wouldn't end with an unusable (for BoX) card (not for performance but for crashes) as it happened to me with the damn*d 780 GTX.
And I really hope it won't follow 780's fate - being very good for a long time until one patch which made it unusable :(

Edited by ST_ami7b5

Thank you all guys,

my only concern was I wouldn't end with an unusable (for BoX) card as it happened to me with the damn*d 780 GTX.

And I really hope it won't follow 780's fate - being very good for a long time until one patch which made it unusable :(

It shouldn‘t be useless at all. Expect a ~15% increase in performance. I guess you know the site, but check it out:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-780-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2164vs3639

I recently built a 7700K system with a 1050Ti GPU. Even that GPU is not bad for lower resolutions.

• Upvote 1

See my edited post :)

Thanks for your input.

Like I mentioned I don't experience any frequent crashes. Every month I have 1-2 discos at WOL, with is basically what I get at ROF and DCS and is related to the internet. But I'm just starting to play BOX (a couple months). I get occasional freezes and crashes but I think it is the BOX engine. I can't recall, but it is not black screens or screen errors. The game just bugs out and freezes -- that sort of thing. I don't think it is related to the card. And it is not frequent. WOL is messy and the lobby is buggy (perhaps the connection), but Berloga is in the vicinity and works fine (I seldom have any problems at Berloga).

I would say the my GTX 1060 don't give me any problems at BOX.

• Upvote 1

I bought this card a month ago. I'm very happy. Ultra stettings stable 70-110 fps 1920-1200. If in the near future you do not predict playing 2k or 4k then this card is a very good solution. Recommend

Kupiłem tę kartę miesiąc temu. Jestem bardzo zadowolony. Ultra stettings stable 70-110 fps 1920-1200.Jeżeli w najbliższej przyszłości nie przewidujesz grać w 2k lub 4k to ta karta jest bardzo dobrym rozwiązaniem. Polecam

• Upvote 1

I have the EVGA GTX1060 3GB SC card. There is an argument to be made that 6GB is better (it is a bit more $$$), but so far this card just flies along at 60FPS at 1080P, very high settings, pretty much no matter what I throw at it.

So far, I am very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-03G-P4-6162-KR/dp/B01KU2CIIY/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1511963809&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=evga+1060

• Upvote 1

I only have the 1050 which is a very poor relation of the 1060 but BoX runs happily at over 60fps on High.

I have experienced the same

• Upvote 1

I have the EVGA GTX1060 3GB SC card. There is an argument to be made that 6GB is better (it is a bit more $$$), but so far this card just flies along at 60FPS at 1080P, very high settings, pretty much no matter what I throw at it.

So far, I am very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-03G-P4-6162-KR/dp/B01KU2CIIY/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1511963809&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=evga+1060

I have experienced the same

Thank you, guys!

I use a 1050ti which is less powerfull than the 1060,  I can play on high settings with 60fps and it's very smooth,  almost life like.

Here are the settings I use to keep a steady 60 fps

res: 1920x1080
no HDR or SSAO
shadows high
mirror complex
landcsape x4
landscape filter off
grass normal
target fps off
Antialiasing 4

• Upvote 1

I had the MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB, which is nearly identical to the GTX 1060 6GB in performance. It ran BoS at max detail at 1440p with greater than 60 fps minimums. I would expect the same of the 1060 6GB. MSI's cooler is very good too. It's loud if the fans go above 50%, but there is absolutely no reason for that to happen.It's silent with a proper fan curve.

• Upvote 1

i have the 1060 Gaming G1 from Gigabyte (6g) also

It works great and runs cool
specially as i game with headphones so before loading Il2 i just set fan to 100% (its not loud barely audible)
Then it runs IL2 at like 40-45*c

Plays Il2 @ 4K on Balanced Settings.

• Upvote 1

Finally got it after more than one month's waiting.
Great card!

Thank you all, game runs very well at ultra settings
:salute:

Edited by ST_ami7b5
  • Upvote 2

lol, I`m late. using a 1060 EVGA 6 gig GEFORCE scc. Performs extermely well on BOS. I have nearly all settings maxed.

• Like 1

On the subject of video cards, I watched a few videos about single-purpose bitcoin mining computers called ASICs, and they are supposed to do a much better job at mining than video cards. So maybe the mining boobs will lay off the video cards and start buying the ASIC machines.

Maybe video card prices will go back to normal this year.

Problem is that the main crypto currencies have been "hardened" against ASIC mining, that's why the latest ASIC mining systems came with a massive amount of RAM in order to hold all the necessary data to fight the ASIC hardening - something like 64GB or 128GB RAM per miner.

And that raises the next issue for these ASICs: RAM is expensive, and it takes the crypto currency guys just a tiny little update to their algorithms to render the ASICs completely useless.

As much as I wish, I strongly doubt that the ASICs will really release pressure on GPU prices much.

What could really change things is when Nvidia rolls out special mining optimized chips versions, because in that case the non-optimized ones might not produce enough mining power to be used effectively anymore.

Or at least if the new 1100 series GPUs give enough mining power so that the old 1000 series cannot be used effectively for mining anymore.

Either of these should, theoretically, cause the miners to try to get rid of surplus ineffective card, and that'd be "hallelujah!" to us.

Cheers!

Mike