Sign in to follow this  
TexasWarbird

"Vulching" IE Flower Missions Question for Community

The combat environment is way different

Again, speaking as someone relatively new back to the game, I think "way different" is relative.  If you've only played BoX the whole time, sure, it seems like a significant difference.  If you've played literally any other flight sim since, the difference between GPS and no GPS is... it's like choosing between a chick with a landing strip and one who's shaved bald.  If you look close and lick, it may seem different.  Compared to the sheep in the barn, not so much.

It's enough to make me not fly there, so a pretty dramatic difference for me.

First of all, apologies - I was way out of line.  I was drunk, it's no excuse, but I hope you understand.  I'm sorry for getting so personal and insulting.

So here's an edited version:

If you're going to condemn WoL for being arcadey, it comes off as you being than everyone else who doesn't want to memorize the countless shapes of lakes and forests of BoM/BoS for navigation purposes.  Even though they fly with every other realism option other than GPS engaged, this is emblematic of the cancerous attitude in the hardcore sim community driving everyone new to sims away from this one.

It is needless, self-destructive elitism that we engage in.  I swear to God, it sometimes feels like this community won't be happy until there's a gun pointed at their heads, connected to the game, which will fire if they die in the game.  And then they'll have the audacity to crap on everyone else for being "arcade", for not playing "full real", and complaining that "on all other settings, everyone else just flies like suicidal idiots."

Edited by thebusdriver
  • Upvote 2

Then you're pathetic.

If you're so desperate to stroke yourself off because you're SO. MUCH. BETTER. than everyone else who doesn't want to memorize the countless shapes of lakes and forests of BoM/BoS for navigation purposes, just so you can shit on them for being "arcade" even though they fly with every other realism option other than GPS engaged, then you - yes you, specifically, the sad human being that I am writing this to - are the cancer driving everyone else away.

I don't even have the words to begin to describe the depth of my contempt for you, my hatred for your needless, stupid, self-destructive elitism.  You disgust me.  And yes, mods, go ahead and ban me if me pointing out that this sub-human scum is exactly what drives future clients away offends you so much.  I was not only ready to buy BoK, but I was going to get my friends into the game again.  But if this is the kind of jerk we have to deal with, screw it.  I'll eat my ban and gladly save my money.

cool it, man.. :) lol

you need to understand that these so-called elitists are just the old spirited folks who simply don't like run and frag action (brought to you by carl's junior). They enjoy a slow paced game with lots of planning, pretend pre-flight meetings, using a special convo over the TS and insisting on using only the convo from the wwII .. and I presume they also the jokes from the 40's.

And they like all human beings do have their egos show up once in a while. I think his minute arcade comment was totally out-shined by your hilarious (to me) response in terms of elitism, or ego centrism.. or what have you.  In reality in MP you will have a much more pleasant experience flying with a persona like him vs. a fiery gamer persona like yours.. :)  I'm not trying to offend you or anything. I think being respectful within the Il2 game community should be treated with a number 1 priority. This isn't MW or CoD crowd.

Then you're pathetic.

If you're so desperate to stroke yourself off because you're SO. MUCH. BETTER. than everyone else who doesn't want to memorize the countless shapes of lakes and forests of BoM/BoS for navigation purposes, just so you can shit on them for being "arcade" even though they fly with every other realism option other than GPS engaged, then you - yes you, specifically, the sad human being that I am writing this to - are the cancer driving everyone else away.

I don't even have the words to begin to describe the depth of my contempt for you, my hatred for your needless, stupid, self-destructive elitism.  You disgust me.  And yes, mods, go ahead and ban me if me pointing out that this sub-human scum is exactly what drives future clients away offends you so much.  I was not only ready to buy BoK, but I was going to get my friends into the game again.  But if this is the kind of jerk we have to deal with, screw it.  I'll eat my ban and gladly save my money.

How old are you? Grow up.

And the fact you're having a temper tantrum over someone's point of view on GPS in a bloody computer game, i'd strongly consider seeing a therapist.

Then you're pathetic.

Way to overshadow the thing you were complaining about  :rolleyes:

I could be wrong.

I just think you're unfair w.r.t people playing "arcade".  There's a huge difference between WoWP and WT arcade, never mind WT arcade and WoL.  Meanwhile, the difference between WoL and TAW is fairly miniscule in my opinion.

The largest difference  is regarding the less suicidal nature of TAW actions  Sicne you need to keep your plane and pilot alive  (to win the  war) make the behavior of the pilots much more realistic.

About GPS,  Seem so people have a completely wrong perception of how it works. They really think, as an angry one here in this thread, that we memorize the map? We just look outside  see something with a singular shape and then open the map and  search for that lake that looks like a duck   at my right..  or those 2 rivers parallel going to the north with a settlement at east of them.

There is NO memorization, except for  HUGE landmarks like stalingrad.

Then you're pathetic.

then you - yes you, specifically, the sad human being that I am writing this to - are the cancer driving everyone else away.

So just to understand it better, people that choose to fly this game with realistic navigation are pathetic and cancer that is driving everyone else away?

I don't even have the words to begin to describe the depth of my contempt for you, my hatred for your needless, stupid, self-destructive elitism.  You disgust me.  And yes, mods, go ahead and ban me if me pointing out that this sub-human scum is exactly what drives future clients away offends you so much. 

And to understand it even better, that kind of offensive ranting is the opposite of pathetic and is a great way to attract everyone else to the game?

• Upvote 1

It is not just snobbery to dislike GPS.   I find it adds to the enjoyment to have to keep track of where I am.  It is especially exciting when you are leaking fuel and you are deep in enemy territory and you realise you are completely lost and and can't get anything you see to match up with the map :-)    

If you are going to say that people who like more realism are just snobs or 'realism' gets in the way of 'fun' then where do you draw the line?  Do realistic flight models get in the way of your fun?  Would it be more fun if an IL2 could turn and climb with your 109?   Is having to take off & land a waste of good furballing time so we should all have airstarts 1 minute from the action and despawn mid air?  Limited ammo?  Surely that gets in the way of fun?     You may think I am being ridiculous with those suggestions but there are many games out there with those features and thousands of players who like it that way and think even World Of Warplanes is too snobby.    Conversely someone might say that TAW & BoX is too arcadey because we don't have to start the engine switch by switch like in DCS or that DCS is too arcadey because you don't have to wait a realistic time to have your plane re-armed and refuelled or an even longer time while it is repaired or a new one delivered.

Just stick to what you can handle and don't get hung up on people who enjoy more challenge.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

cool it, man.. :) lol

you need to understand that these so-called elitists are just the old spirited folks who simply don't like run and frag action (brought to you by carl's junior). They enjoy a slow paced game with lots of planning, pretend pre-flight meetings, using a special convo over the TS and insisting on using only the convo from the wwII .. and I presume they also the jokes from the 40's.

And they like all human beings do have their egos show up once in a while. I think his minute arcade comment was totally out-shined by your hilarious (to me) response in terms of elitism, or ego centrism.. or what have you.  In reality in MP you will have a much more pleasant experience flying with a persona like him vs. a fiery gamer persona like yours.. :)  I'm not trying to offend you or anything. I think being respectful within the Il2 game community should be treated with a number 1 priority. This isn't MW or CoD crowd.

Yeah, my bad, I was drunk and edited my post this morning.

Honestly though, I've seen the WW2 flight sim community go from flourishing (IL-2) to struggling to survive (CoD after launch), to being on life support (this game a couple of years ago).  Dumping on WoL pilots - who, by the way, outnumber the oh-so-superior TAW jocks by a fair margin, especially in US TZ - is not helpful.  It's like the Filipinos who have themselves crucified every Easter, decide to go dumping on the ones who merely self-flagellate as "poseurs".

It's like the Filipinos who have themselves crucified every Easter, decide to go dumping on the ones who merely self-flagellate as "poseurs".

Lol. Good analogy  :lol:

happens to all, no sweat, as long as you're not a psychopath we're good :)

I find TAW pilots to be the ones most engaged with the Il2 fantasy universe. And they do everything to deepen the immersion of realism regardless of how silly it looks to the creatively dull outsiders. Sometimes I wish this game would provoke the same level of fantasy in yours truly but alas I have other hobbies and prefer GPS so I can fly and get shit done vs. pondering on my mortality for an hour sitting in the cockpit at 3km.

I personally don't think TAW type of people are responsible for any demise of any communities, if anything they actually bring in new ideas for implementation. However like with anything you can't have too much of one thing. Games die because of lack of creativity within the majority group of players, and not because there's too much of it concentrated within a single tiny group.

Yeah, my bad, I was drunk and edited my post this morning.

Honestly though, I've seen the WW2 flight sim community go from flourishing (IL-2) to struggling to survive (CoD after launch), to being on life support (this game a couple of years ago).  Dumping on WoL pilots - who, by the way, outnumber the oh-so-superior TAW jocks by a fair margin, especially in US TZ - is not helpful.  It's like the Filipinos who have themselves crucified every Easter, decide to go dumping on the ones who merely self-flagellate as "poseurs".

• Upvote 1

...snip....I find it adds to the enjoyment to have to keep track of where I am.  It is especially exciting when you are leaking fuel and you are deep in enemy territory and you realise you are completely lost and and can't get anything you see to match up with the map :-)    

I love it! 

Many a time on TAW I have lost track of my position and end up following a river believing myself to be at one point, when 5 mins later realise that I am still completely lost!

It's even worse in winter though.

Wings of Liberty has GPS?

I have to navigate by landmarks, switching between map and cockpit to figure out where I am.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Wings of Liberty has GPS?

I have to navigate by landmarks, switching between map and cockpit to figure out where I am.

So the fact that an actual pilot has to compliment navigating with his Garmin by looking out the window of his aircraft means the Garmin can't be considered a GPS device?

Yes, WOL has GPS.

No, that's not what I'm saying - I'm saying I've never had GPS on WoL, I have gotten lost on that server on winter maps because I didn't pay attention to my route from take off.

I didn't realize there were "TAW jocks". I've always viewed TAW as an exciting, teamwork driven campaign that happens a few times a year, it's something I get excited about taking part in. I also see many of the same faces on TAW as I do on Wings but as it's only a temporary server (not 365 like Wings) many of us hop over while it's up.

Didn't realize that made me an elitist TAW jock but I'll take it if it means the actions I perform in one mission have lasting effects throughout the life of the online campaign. That and the teamwork found on TAW is second to none.

All that being said, I would never say Wings is arcade... Less strategic maybe but def not arcade.

Edited by =SqSq=Sulaco

As a native of Southern California, I can confirm that you people with your "winter" and "snow" and other such ridiculous concepts are completely insane if you think the rest of us have any idea what anything looks like when covered by a blanket of weird white stuff that apparently falls from the skies in certain godforsaken parts of the world left behind by those with the good sense to realize that 75* F year round with hardly any rain is BY FAR the better state of affairs under which to conduct one's altogether too short life on this tiny rock floating in the ether.

Anyways, I love the challenge of flying by dead reckoning (using compass, map and eyeball to determine location) but the GPS is sure really convenient for these weird parts of the world where there are no mountains or ocean to orient oneself by, just endless, nearly identical forests crosscut by rivers and speckled with a dusting of towns.

It goes without saying that I'm a huge fan of the Kuban map.

Let's get this thing back on the road with a nice good-mannered discussion so I start:

I fully support vulching and every single cheap dirty trick you can use without resorting to straight-up cheating.

No problems with vulching unless explicitly forbidden by the server.

Imagine the Luftwaffe turning around mid-Bodenplatte. "Hey, no vulching guys".

I get it, MP is not real life etc. However there are systems in place to let you know if enemies are near the airfield, such as flares and red circle on airfield icon.

Pay attention and spawn at your own risk.

• Upvote 1

Since we spend our time trying to blast each other with mgs and cannons, vulching should be considered a perfectly honorable occupation.  :) 

I think sometimes Vulching gets Confused with Base-Camping...Keep Spawn Points 50ks from nearest Enemy Base and Vulching may become Straffing (with all the consequences). Very Real and Legit for Both Sides...Also, Anyone who uses the ME 262 Landing / P 51 Scenario to Justify "Base Camping" is kidding themselves. The War was Over at this stage. The Allies  Owned the Skies.